• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Guys, I think I brought that up a long time ago...

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/3

Koizumi, the director of Super Mario Galaxy and the producer of Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World, sees Toad as pretty plain. :( Iwata said Toad is a "surprisingly popular character"... surprisingly? :confused:

So... wait, Nintendo thinks Toad is bland and isn't a popular character? Well... at least Nintendo is working on turning Toad into an "incredibly appealing character" with his cuteness and speed... but still... if this is how Nintendo views Toad, then it is likely that Sakurai shares the same views... :scared:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Like I said. If anything, it's more of good news than bad news
I'm sorry but I cannot stop noticing that one animation error in your signature.

Toad. see this post is totally oooooon topic.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
People are still talking about all but deconfirmed Toad? Ok, whatever.:rolleyes:

People are still talking about all but deconfirmed Toad? Ok, whatever.:rolleyes:
I thought this place was dead (Posted a page ago)

They're just talking about Toad as a character and not as a playable character in Smash, so don't give them the eye roll emote. Just because he's deconfirmed, doesn't mean he can't be a topic of interest once in a while and you can't say that it's weird to talk about that certain character especially when you're in a thread about that character. If someone wants to bring him up then it's fine because I'm sure it's not gonna cause any trouble (Ironically, this happens every time a possible character that could get in Smash is brought up *cough* Fire Emblem *cough*)

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
And even if we talk about him for Smash, so what? Even if there weren't solid arguments for why/how he can still possibly make it this time around, why shouldn't his fans continue to talk and speculate? It truly astounds me how Toad supporters get so much flak from his often petty and immature detractors. But I suppose that's just internet etiquette.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm not looking for a fight, and I don't consider myself better than anybody. However, I don't think I'm out of line when I say that Toad supporters are often the targets of unwarranted ridicule. Also, does it make you a bully or a jerk to point out when someone is being a bully/jerk? I'm not attacking anyone, but I have no problem saying that some people cross the line into just being rude.

EDIT: And my last word on it is that I'm not saying that all detractors are jerks, just that some have a propensity for it.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I do like Toad in the Mario universe, just not the Smash universe. It does pain me to have seen Sakurai make him nothing but an over-glorified move, and I can absolutely feel the sadness of every Toad fan, as well as myself. Toad is pretty uninteresting when you compare him with the rest of the Mario cast, he barely has a personality, I only like him because he's adorable.
I'm not looking for a fight, and I don't consider myself better than anybody. However, I don't think I'm out of line when I say that Toad supporters are often the targets of unwarranted ridicule. Also, does it make you a bully or a jerk to point out when someone is being a bully/jerk? I'm not attacking anyone, but I have no problem saying that some people cross the line into just being rude.

EDIT: And my last word on it is that I'm not saying that all detractors are jerks, just that some have a propensity for it.
Well, I'm certainly not detracting the fans, not even the character, just the character being playable in Smash. And berserker was trying to be helpful when he told you to take it down a notch, not trying to put you down. So, um, bye, I guess?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yes. Funnily enough people are still talking about Waluigi in the Waluigi thread and he's been officially deconfirmed too. Do you honestly expect the K. Rool or Ridley threads to just stop talking about the characters if they should be unfortunate enough to get a deconfirmation?

Think of a thread as a fanclub; fans of Toad like to talk about Toad, because they LIKE Toad not because they think he still has a decent shot within the context of Smash 4. I mean you're supporting Snorlax, Togepi, Plasm Wraith and Leon in your signature there, but I'm guessing it's not because you think them likely, and it's the same basic deal.

Edit: Nevermind, this seems to be sorted.

Last edited:

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
@ Berserker. Berserker. and @ Cobalsh Cobalsh , I must apologize. My words came across stronger than I had intended, and now that I've had breakfast and some distance from the matter I feel a little embarrassed I wasn't better able to translate my thoughts into text. I can't say I didn't mean what I wrote, but I could definitely have been more civil and less combative.

On topic, I always thought it would've been funny for Toad's reveal trailer to be Peach using him as her shield against, say, Kirby's hammer and just as he's about to get hit, time slows for a moment. Toad slips out of Peach's hands and meteor smashes both of them with a headbutt, and "Toad joins the fight!"

Last edited:
@ Berserker. Berserker. and @ Cobalsh Cobalsh , I must apologize. My words came across stronger than I had intended, and now that I've had breakfast and some distance from the matter I feel a little embarrassed I wasn't better able to translate my thoughts into text. I can't say I didn't mean what I wrote, but I could definitely have been more civil and less combative.

On topic, I always thought it would've been funny for Toad's reveal trailer to be Peach using him as her shield against, say, Kirby's hammer and just as he's about to get hit, time slows for a moment. Toad slips out of Peach's hands and meteor smashes both of them with a headbutt, and "Toad joins the fight!"
Ah, it's all cool and stuff

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Like I said. If anything, it's more of good news than bad news
So you think it is good news? Do you think that maybe Nintendo might do something to capitalize on Toad's renewed popularity?

*dreams of Wario's New Woods*

So you think it is good news? Do you think that maybe Nintendo might do something to capitalize on Toad's renewed popularity?

*dreams of Wario's New Woods*
I don't know

Probably but I want something more than just another Wario's Woods if that would be the case

Ah whatever. A man can dream.

D

Deleted member

I am up for this.

Talking of fan games; has anyone had a chance to play "Toad Strikes Back" or "Psycho Waluigi" apparently they are pretty well made.
Played the latter.
It's hard, but it's great. Almost as if it was an official game by Nintendo.

I am up for this.

Talking of fan games; has anyone had a chance to play "Toad Strikes Back" or "Psycho Waluigi" apparently they are pretty well made.
Oh God. Those games were hard but I felt they were actually made by Nintendo (Pretty much what GY said)

Oh, Toad's World is NUTS but I liked the game because it gave me the satisfying Ninja Gaiden feels when you finally make it through an annoying ass level with sheer skill and rage tolerance

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was watching some Paper Mario videos... how about Toad borrowing moves from The Master? He is a Toad too... and Toad in Smash represents the whole Toad species just like how Yoshi in Smash represents the whole Yoshi species. That would be pretty cool to see...

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes. Funnily enough people are still talking about Waluigi in the Waluigi thread and he's been officially deconfirmed too. .
I would tag many people too; I want to clarify something.

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but has *Toad* really been deconfirmed? I believe Sakurai had said in a miiverse post (though it was a while ago, maybe an interview... but I think a miiverse post) that he may be posting screenshots for things in which he has not fully finalized, that he reserves the right to post things that may be changed?

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Waluigi is officially deconfirmed. Sakurai explicitly said so. He had to point it out to us that just because he tries hard doesn't mean he will get in.

As for Toad, it is implied that he is deconfirmed because of Peach's move. But Sakurai didn't say anything about Toad nor the move like he did in the past.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
(my last post was supposed to be edited, not reposted as a quote, my bad. But when I say deconfirmed, I mean Toad. Yes, Waluigi is flat out deconfirmed, but toad being seen as a move is not). @ Arcadenik Arcadenik

Here is how I would like to see Toad playable:

He starts off in a Kart, in part to give him some extra appeal, as well as to cater to the hugely popular and Unit selling series "Mario Kart," which is by far the most popular Mario game outside of the main series, and in a category all of its own (even nearly its own franchise, but I wont go that far).
This also caters to Toads speed, power, and his heavy attachment to Items (the Kart and the Toad share these three traits. Strong, Fast, and Item heavy!)
Toad will have the option, once per spawned life, to abandon his vehicle (making it a unique choice of play as well). After a certain amount of damage, the kart can also be destroyed.
When he abandons the Kart, his moves change slightly, but not much. His upRecovery goes from being the glider to the propeller hat (this change is also one example of why he would abandon the Kart, to add verticle recovery rather than horizontal). Other moves could change more or less (MORE: such as going from a fakeout bomb in the Kart, to a planted Piranha as a Toad... this would be a bigger change with the same principle, or Kart sends out a blue shell to the person in first, Toad alone would send a red tracking shell; LESS would just be a different looking item that functions the same way)

Ultimately, I think this really solves all problems, giving Toad a unique standpoint in terms of play, catering to his uniqueness, adding in a much needed Kart element, and filling out Mario representation.

Does mario need more than five reps, no... but to put it on the same level as any other series is ridiculous, it is beyond an empire, with too many different types of games, characters, worlds-- if it had ten reps it still wouldnt be covering how important it is to Nintendo. Of course I think that is too many, but it isnt getting stale at all, and certainly isnt too many Mario reps just by this. Mario IS nintendo, and to an extent Nintendo IS mario.
I would tag many people too; I want to clarify something.

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but has he really been deconfirmed? I believe Sakurai had said in a miiverse post (though it was a while ago, maybe an interview... but I think a miiverse post) that he may be posting screenshots for things in which he has not fully finalized, that he reserves the right to post things that may be changed?

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well the main reason we think hes good and deconfirmed is that none of us can see there being more than 5 mario characters

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Nor I.

I mean I know there was 5 Mario reps planned for Brawl and 5 in Melee, but adding two Mario newcomers when spaces are apparently more limited seems unlikely. Not impossible seeing as Mario is very important, but still highly unlikely.

Even if we did manage to get 6 there's still Sakurai's inexplicable favourite(and most likely); Dr. Mario as well as popular Mario newcomer rivals Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario to compete with.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be delighted if we did get six though and by some miracle Toad was that sixth.

I only see that happening if Luigi suddenly reps his own series(aka very unlikely).

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Nor I.

I mean I know there was 5 Mario reps planned for Brawl and 5 in Melee, but adding two Mario newcomers when spaces are apparently more limited seems unlikely. Not impossible seeing as Mario is very important, but still highly unlikely.

Even if we did manage to get 6 there's still Sakurai's inexplicable favourite(and most likely); Dr. Mario as well as popular Mario newcomer rivals Bowser Jr. and Paper Mario to compete with.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be delighted if we did get six though and by some miracle Toad was that sixth.

I only see that happening if Luigi suddenly reps his own series(aka very unlikely).
Pokemon was actually supposed to have SIX in Brawl, Zelda with 5. Plus, Mario lost a rep in brawl, so we'd need 2 reps to make up for it (one to replace the lost one, another to be the new rep). IMHO It's not all that farfetch'd (pun!) for Mario to have 6 reps, since I'm 99.99% sure that the developers don't play the "ew 2much reps!!!!!!1" game. I don't see DR.Mario all that likely, as he'd just be a clone. He was ONLY added for MUSIC. Spinoff Mario music that could've been put in anyways, at that. Bowser Jr. lost his shine and I don't think he and Paper Mario would have a higher chance than Toad. Sakurai is a trollish-trickster guy anyways. He'd want to reveal Rosalina so we think Toad isn't in, but he is. - u-

Peach's moveset IS being changed after all. Plus, both of the pictures on the direct days had to do with Peach (her using Toad while Link shoots an arrow and that rainbow picture), and she still has no footage. Toad COULD actually be an easy clone anyways, he already has a model cx.

I just like to be optimistic, hmm? Anything can happen, after all.

Last edited:
Nor I.

I guess if he'd want to piss anyone off and ignore everyone and follow his own way (Like what he did with Ridley in Brawl, PS: Brawl's roster was perfect) then Dr. Mario is the way to go. Not saying no one wants him but I don't see that much people advocating for Dr. Mario as much as the other 3.

Oh and, he's an undeniable A-- wait no.... S-class clone especially since even Sakurai said that both their playstyles are exactly the same and even competitive players know that Dr. Mario is essentially the stronger version of Mario.

Most importantly, this game is suppose to generate hype and attracts more customers and the best way to generate more hype is to hype up the return of Mario 2.0? I'm sure Sakurai's not that dumb to you know.. pull off a Decapre and say things like, "This character's different because of mechanic x and y." No one wants that. The guy was panned (Not extremely but panned, regardless) because he made a character that don't look bat**** like Captain Falcon into his clone. I don't care what reasons he gives me, it's seriously bull**** on how he did this in Melee. If Sakurai wants quirkiness then go with it and be consistent with the promise.

tl;dr:
I'm pretty damn sure that Dr. Mario will stay the **** away from Smash 4 because Sakurai's a sensible guy regardless of what every idiot says about him like, "Ughghgh Sakurai's a troll." Sakurai's favoritism (Based on what fans and people said about him, you know... how Brawl was designed around 4-players and because of that, MK was unintentionally overpowered) for sure will not have any effect on Smash 4.

If we look at this logically in a perspective that the Wii U's (Or Nintendo or Iwata's approval) in serious ****, we should know that Sakurai's not gonna do dumb ****. So far, he's captured attention every time he's revealed a newcomer and he can't break the momentum with this character. No. I'm sure the ******* is smarter than that considering that he's taking the project seriously, expressing his angst to us but still working hard no matter what.

true tl;dr: Since he was removed in Brawl and no one (Or a few people) gave a **** about it, there's a likely chance he won't return.

Rosalina was fine to be honest. I actually liked her and a lot of people were hyped and interested. She looks unique (And by unique, I meant ripped off from some guy in another fighting game) and she does not look like Peach at all and whoever finds those two even slightly similar, get a pitchfork and stab yourself in the head.
Sakurai is a trollish-trickster guy anyways
He's not a troll by all means nor is he a troll in any sort of way
Peach's moveset IS being changed after all
It's not. It was all revealed.

Unless Sakurai changes it because he's done it already with Toon Link and Little Mac (Via stages where in Mac's stage can be changed). Sakurai hides stuff.

Who knows? Fine, be positive. Just expressing my thoughts.

You know, I'm really lucky that I watched Frozen before all the depression began here. Lol

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
He's not a troll by all means nor is he a troll in any sort of way

It's not. It was all revealed.

Unless Sakurai changes it because he's done it already with Toon Link and Little Mac (Via stages where in Mac's stage can be changed). Sakurai hides stuff.
Wow.

So, peach's moveset has already been shown to be at least a bit altered, unless you remember a rainbow in Brawl or Melee.
Sakurai also stated that he reserves the liberty to change characters around despite pictures he releases. We have indeed seen VERY little of Peach, which to me indicates that is an extreme possibility.
Given his inclusion of internet tactics into this game (such as no Subspace type movie, just character reveals), it wouldn't be too much to assume he has adopted other trolling habits for that shock factor he so loves.

You know, I'm really lucky that I watched Frozen before all the depression began here. Lol
The wind is certainly howling like a swirling storm in side. Guess you couldn't keep it in.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
That's my biggest problem with trying to speculate here on the forums or on Miiverse. So many people state possibilities and probabilities like facts or dead certainties. Until Sakurai states it or the game itself comes out, nothing is certain or set in stone. We can argue about what's likely, but Toad is not technically out of the running yet.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I guess if he'd want to piss anyone off and ignore everyone and follow his own way (Like what he did with Ridley in Brawl, PS: Brawl's roster was perfect) then Dr. Mario is the way to go. Not saying no one wants him but I don't see that much people advocating for Dr. Mario as much as the other 3.

Oh and, he's an undeniable A-- wait no.... S-class clone especially since even Sakurai said that both their playstyles are exactly the same and even competitive players know that Dr. Mario is essentially the stronger version of Mario.

Most importantly, this game is suppose to generate hype and attracts more customers and the best way to generate more hype is to hype up the return of Mario 2.0? I'm sure Sakurai's not that dumb to you know.. pull off a Decapre and say things like, "This character's different because of mechanic x and y." No one wants that. The guy was panned (Not extremely but panned, regardless) because he made a character that don't look bat**** like Captain Falcon into his clone. I don't care what reasons he gives me, it's seriously bull**** on how he did this in Melee. If Sakurai wants quirkiness then go with it and be consistent with the promise.

tl;dr:
I'm pretty damn sure that Dr. Mario will stay the **** away from Smash 4 because Sakurai's a sensible guy regardless of what every idiot says about him like, "Ughghgh Sakurai's a troll." Sakurai's favoritism (Based on what fans and people said about him, you know... how Brawl was designed around 4-players and because of that, MK was unintentionally overpowered) for sure will not have any effect on Smash 4.

If we look at this logically in a perspective that the Wii U's (Or Nintendo or Iwata's approval) in serious ****, we should know that Sakurai's not gonna do dumb ****. So far, he's captured attention every time he's revealed a newcomer and he can't break the momentum with this character. No. I'm sure the ******* is smarter than that considering that he's taking the project seriously, expressing his angst to us but still working hard no matter what.

true tl;dr: Since he was removed in Brawl and no one (Or a few people) gave a **** about it, there's a likely chance he won't return.
WHOA SON, WHOA. WHOOOOA. Whoa. Whoa.

That said I do see Doc as semi likely if and only if we get DLC packs. Since Sakurai says he doesn't like cuts because someone out there enjoys each of the characters(as redundant as Doc may seem, some people like him) I can imagine a Melee pack including Roy, Doc, Pichu and Young Link(presuming Mewtwo makes it in anyway).

Unless Sakurai just makes him an alt costume(which is the role the fan who suggested Doc even requested) that changes the look of the fireballs to pills. That can't be that hard to implement can it?

I do agree though that having the Doctor as the 6th Mario character would be kind of pointless as very few people would get hyped over his inclusion. The other three are all superior choices in terms of fanbase.

Rosalina was fine to be honest. I actually liked her and a lot of people were hyped and interested. She looks unique (And by unique, I meant ripped off from some guy in another fighting game) and she does not look like Peach at all and whoever finds those two even slightly similar, get a pitchfork and stab yourself in the head.
Stop wishing for Miyamoto to get stabbed in the head man. I mean sure Sticker Star was terribad, but this seems harsh.

"When Super Mario Galaxy first came out, I was a little hung up on why Rosalina was showing up when Princess Peach was already there. I thought it was fine as long as it was only Super Mario Galaxy, and we made her design so she's a little bigger. But all of a sudden she was a regular character in Mario Kart as just a regular girl, even her size turned to normal."
-Miyamoto in the Iwata Asks interview on 3D World.

We can argue about what's likely, but Toad is not technically out of the running yet.
True. But like; don't get your hopes up either boys. I don't want more crushed dreams in this thread.

Although I do like the fresh optimism. It reminds me of myself back in August.

Wow.

So, peach's moveset has already been shown to be at least a bit altered, unless you remember a rainbow in Brawl or Melee.
Sakurai also stated that he reserves the liberty to change characters around despite pictures he releases. We have indeed seen VERY little of Peach, which to me indicates that is an extreme possibility.
Wait a minute... Let me check.... (http://smashbros-miiverse.com/characters/peach)

Oh right. I forgot about that one. Oh and I saw this one
Smash bros Miiverse website said:
*All pictures of moves for all characters are gathered from official sources and from pictures and videos without detailed explanations, and some are subject to change
Whoops. Didn't see that there either. Must have let that slip by. Still gonna blindly assume that it doesn't mean anything even though it may or may not actually mean something.

You know, be negative and not expect anything at all :T
Given his inclusion of internet tactics into this game (such as no Subspace type movie, just character reveals), it wouldn't be too much to assume he has adopted other trolling habits for that shock factor he so loves.
Not that type of trolling. I meant the dumb-ass manner of trolling that people accuse him for like snubbing characters on purpose (Waluigi) for example which was only done once or basically doing things that would piss people off.
The wind is certainly howling like a swirling storm in side. Guess you couldn't keep it in.
I'm not even that mad or anything considering that I am gonna main the very character that seems to have "killed" Toad (Not really killed but you get the context).
"When Super Mario Galaxy first came out, I was a little hung up on why Rosalina was showing up when Princess Peach was already there. I thought it was fine as long as it was only Super Mario Galaxy, and we made her design so she's a little bigger. But all of a sudden she was a regular character in Mario Kart as just a regular girl, even her size turned to normal."
-Miyamoto in the Iwata Asks interview on 3D World
The guy does not say anything about the two looking similar. Where's the text?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The guy does not say anything about the two looking similar. Where's the text?
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/3

Same as Arcadenik's link. Fair point; perhaps it wasn't down to looks, but at the time it sounds like he had some hang ups about her existing alongside Peach for some reason(he got over it by the time 3D World came out).

Whether the reason actually was as shallow as 'two blonde princesses' or something deeper we can't tell. Unfortunately he only goes that far into the story.

Edit: Although I do find it interesting her size was changed as a result of this concern, whatever it was.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What's cooking fellow Toad-fans?

MK8's been really hype-inducing as of late, and do I love the way Toad's track got such amazing makeover (Toad's Turnpike).

I wonder still about possibilities on Toad. Sometimes imagining him as a semi-clone... but it wouldn't do good justice to him IMO.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like Toad to have moves based on different power-ups... Mario and Luigi got the Fire Flowers... Mario also got the Cape Feather... Peach got the Vegetables. What else can Toad use besides those power-ups? NSMBWii could provide Toad with moves involving Ice Flowers and Propeller Mushrooms. NSMBU could provide Toad with moves involving Super Acorns (gliding). SM3DW could provide Toad with moves involving Super Bells, Super Leaves, and Boomerang Flowers. Toads are always associated with items and they provide items at the Toad Houses. After all, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Rosalina are not using those items as moves in Smash. If Rosalina could get a moveset based on Super Mario Galaxy 1-2 gameplay, then I don't see why Toad cannot have a moveset based on New Super Mario Bros. Wii/U gameplay.

I also love how they remade Toad's Turnpike. It is gorgeous! I still like the original version because of nostalgia... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom