• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
commonyoshi said:
Toad is only a comic relief in the games. He contributes nothing.
Play Mario 2. Toad and Peach are the only characters worth playing in that game. Mario and Luigi suck in it. Now play Wario's woods, Toad is the one and only hero in that.

He most certainly doesn't contribute nothing.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I dunno. I think we have enough Mario characters as it is... still, Toad should definently get in before Birdo, Waluigi, Daisy, Petey Piranha, Bowser Jr., etc. but only after Geno and maybe Capt. Syrup.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Um yeah. dotdotdot! is officially awesome. =)

And Toad deserves to be in by now. I dislike the "too many Mario characters" attitude, just because it's kind of ridiculous. I mean sure, a nice potpourri of Nintendo characters is preferable, but Mario = Nintendo and Nintendo = Mario. The flagship franchise that brought Nintendo to the forefront has every right to be widely represented. Plus, Toad has such a devoted fanbase that it would be almost insulting not to include him at this point.

OH, and he most definitely deserves to be in before Petey Piranha. PP is a waste of pixels and is the most worthless Mario character ever. Down with Petey Piranha! :mad:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Aeris said:
Doubtful. Pichu sucked in all the games it has participated in; Toad, by contrast, hasn't. He's known as speedy, and powerful as well (mainly from SMB2).

Like Pichu speed-wise? Sure.
Like Pichu power-wise? Unsure - could go either way, depending on what they use as a reference for Toad.
Like Pichu suckiness-wise? Definitely not. Sakurai (and Nintendo) wouldn't let a Mario character be completely sucktastic...except Bowser. =)
Well me personally I'm a big Pichu fan. I'll be the first (well the only) to tell you he doesn't suck.

BUT, that a little besides the point. Unless they really scale Toad up a tremendous amount in size (and I'm compareing him to mario here) he can't have all that much range. I'm not saying his attacks will hurt him or anything, but with people discribing toad as "comic relief" and realizing that in about 90% of the games you've seen a toad they've been weak and powerless I'm just saying i wouldn't be surprized if he was the new "handicap" character.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
<3 said:
Well me personally I'm a big Pichu fan. I'll be the first (well the only) to tell you he doesn't suck.

BUT, that a little besides the point. Unless they really scale Toad up a tremendous amount in size (and I'm compareing him to mario here) he can't have all that much range. I'm not saying his attacks will hurt him or anything, but with people discribing toad as "comic relief" and realizing that in about 90% of the games you've seen a toad they've been weak and powerless I'm just saying i wouldn't be surprized if he was the new "handicap" character.
Unless they decide not to make him a handicap character.

Size-wise, he would only be a little shorter than Mario, and his specials would probably more than make up for it. I would predict a move very similar to Peach's turnips, a Mario Kart move, and perhaps something "Mario Party"- related.

Also, in 90% of the games Peach has been in, she's been weak and powerless, and she's high tier in SSBM. She's also a fair amount of comic relief ("Oh! Did I win?").

I am a dedicated Toad fan, and I hope that he gets in.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Aeris said:
OH, and he most definitely deserves to be in before Petey Piranha. PP is a waste of pixels and is the most worthless Mario character ever. Down with Petey Piranha! :mad:
I agree 100%

DX_RULEZ

Banned via Administration
Marshigio said:
I think that Toad would easily kill anyone in the game if he used steroids. This is a perfect pic. (I didn't draw this btw)

Ryu and Toad fused it looks like.
I looove that pic ;)

btw, Yes I wan't him in.

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I think Toad is a no brainer. They are definetly going to add at least one more Mario character to the roster, because in Melee, they added two more, so why not add another two? The character roster is definetly going to get bigger, so it's still going to be balanced.

We now have Wario, and Toad is completely original and has great potential of being a great fighter. I'm rooting for him.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
I hardly count Wario as a Mario character anymore anyway (and looking at SSBB Dojo's website, never does Nintendo). Toad would be... Eh. There isn't a really nice way to say this, but in the softest words, they've left it too late to fit him in the series. By now we're really begining to get obscure and downright awesome characters, and Toad would just seem to be a rather pointless addition and would be outshined by all the other newcomers.

I won't be terribly annoyed if he does make it in (or, atleast not as much then if they put in Bowser Jr. or Petey), but I really think that Geno, Fawful or Kamek (personally I feel atleast one of these three will make it in) would just make Toad seem like a waste of space. Plus he also doesn't really have many attacks that I can think of that would give him an edge, other than vegetable throwing (which Peach has already). Which is terribly ironic, because other than jumping, he was the best character in Super Mario Bros. 2 by far.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Muffin_man said:
I hardly count Wario as a Mario character anymore anyway (and looking at SSBB Dojo's website, never does Nintendo). Toad would be... Eh. There isn't a really nice way to say this, but in the softest words, they've left it too late to fit him in the series. By now we're really begining to get obscure and downright awesome characters, and Toad would just seem to be a rather pointless addition and would be outshined by all the other newcomers.

I won't be terribly annoyed if he does make it in (or, atleast not as much then if they put in Bowser Jr. or Petey), but I really think that Geno, Fawful or Kamek (personally I feel atleast one of these three will make it in) would just make Toad seem like a waste of space. Plus he also doesn't really have many attacks that I can think of that would give him an edge, other than vegetable throwing (which Peach has already). Which is terribly ironic, because other than jumping, he was the best character in Super Mario Bros. 2 by far.
In all truth, I don't think that's the case. Personally, He and Pit were at the top of my list for the next game, and Pit got in. I think that even if he got in, he would have no problem with being outshined, just because Smash is a game that you really can't be outshined in. If you are a fan of Toad, then you will naturally gravitate towards Toad. If you are a fan of Metaknight, you'll gravitate towards Metaknight. The Latter group may think Toad is outshined by the other "cooler" characters, but the former group may think that Toad outshines Pit and Metaknight hardcore.

And as for attacks, Think of his duties as Referee for various Mario sports, and his position as a Mario Kart driver. In Mario 2 he was physically the strongest, but had weak jumps(Which would influence his stats) and his Turnip pull could differentiate itself by pulling a differing range of veggies, as well as perhaps pulling enemies out of the ground (Shyguys and such). He also proved mastery over the puzzles in Wario's woods, and has played many, many roles over the years. Every character has the potential to be high tier, whether or not they ever had attacks in their original games. Look at Fox and C. Falcon. Heck, look at Peach.

IMO, speaking as a member of Toad's Fanbase, Toad would have no problem fitting in with the "Cooler" characters, whether or not he could hold his own on the future tiers list.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Muffin_man said:

Not only is Toad not pointless and he would not be outshined, he'd be a given addition, he deserves to be in before the three you saud, I like those characters to, but Toad is MUCH better than them. He has a huge fanbase, he has tons of places to draw moves from, he's perfectly unique, he is the best Mario choice that hasn't been included, he starred in a game, sounds like the perfect choice for a ssb character, and if you think he doesn't have many moves to give him and edge, please READ the thread. Really, Toad has a better chance than Geno, and a MUCH bigger chance than Fawful or Kamek(who I think is a Yoshi character), Toad is definitley Not a waste of space, seeing as more Mario characters are a given, I say Toad has an extremley high chance for brawl. Though, I wouldn't mind if one of the three you said got in to, I like them, but AFTER Toad.

Edit:Man, dotdotdot beat me to it.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Too late to add Toad? They've put off Wario, who is probably more popular than Toad, until this third installment. So why not add the little guy?

And Toad's lack of "real" moves adds to his possibilities. He isn't bound to a strict, predetermined moveset; the many roles he has played over the years, from party host to kart driver, from speedy turnip-tosser to master puzzle-solver, only serves to widen his range of abilities. =)

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
Aeris said:
Too late to add Toad? They've put off Wario, who is probably more popular than Toad, until this third installment. So why not add the little guy?

And Toad's lack of "real" moves adds to his possibilities. He isn't bound to a strict, predetermined moveset; the many roles he has played over the years, from party host to kart driver, from speedy turnip-tosser to master puzzle-solver, only serves to widen his range of abilities. =)
Yea that seems like a fun character

Neuvost

Smash Rookie
Here's my ideas for how Toad would work.

Toad would be fast and small, but of a moderate weight. He would be a very non-slippery character, so his wavedash wouldn't take him very far, but not feeling slippery has it's advantages. He'd be a slow faller. His jump is crummy (stubby legs), but he's moderately strong. He has very short reach. All this of course would have to be play tested and balanced though.

Toad's up A moves (both arial and on the ground) would be the most powerful since he can use his big head to bop his foes.

Special moves:

B - Toad "charges" a mushroom projectile, somewhat like Samus or Mewtwo, but once it's at maximum power, or if it's thrown prematurely, it acts like an item, like Peach's turnips or Link's bombs, thus can be caught, dropped, and so forth.

B Down - Toad crouches and the spots on his head pop which damages people near him, either to the side or above (but not below), creating a veritable shield against short range attacks, though it does nothing against projectiles. Characters caught above it would be juggled until they can weasel out of it. It wouldn't send character's flying very far, but could be great in combos or as a combo breaker.

B Side - His Smash B would be a strong, but slow head thwack, where he smacks people with his big 'ol mushroom head. It would jerk him forward when used in the air, thus could be used a tiny bit for recovery. Maybe if timed right, it would reflect non-energy projectiles, much the same way Ness can only absorb energy projectiles with his B Down.

B Up - Toad would pop up a good distance (to offset his crummy jump). This is the least fleshed out of my special move ideas, so any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Anything to add, guys?

EDIT: Oh, and they could add my main man Toadsworth as a clone character for a little variety. Tha'd be sweet.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Iggy K said:
Not only is Toad not pointless and he would not be outshined, he'd be a given addition, he deserves to be in before the three you saud, I like those characters to, but Toad is MUCH better than them. He has a huge fanbase, he has tons of places to draw moves from, he's perfectly unique, he is the best Mario choice that hasn't been included, he starred in a game, sounds like the perfect choice for a ssb character, and if you think he doesn't have many moves to give him and edge, please READ the thread. Really, Toad has a better chance than Geno, and a MUCH bigger chance than Fawful or Kamek(who I think is a Yoshi character), Toad is definitley Not a waste of space, seeing as more Mario characters are a given, I say Toad has an extremley high chance for brawl. Though, I wouldn't mind if one of the three you said got in to, I like them, but AFTER Toad.

Edit:Man, dotdotdot beat me to it.
Yeah, I agree with you on most of these aspects.

Also, thanks Neuvost for some of the moves he could have ^^. It helped me visualize Toad in Smash even more than I have before. I think you have a ok, for a start, moveset here, even if I don't have anything to add. :urg:

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:
In all truth, I don't think that's the case. Personally, He and Pit were at the top of my list for the next game, and Pit got in. I think that even if he got in, he would have no problem with being outshined, just because Smash is a game that you really can't be outshined in. If you are a fan of Toad, then you will naturally gravitate towards Toad. If you are a fan of Metaknight, you'll gravitate towards Metaknight. The Latter group may think Toad is outshined by the other "cooler" characters, but the former group may think that Toad outshines Pit and Metaknight hardcore.
And that's the entire thing. Outside of Toad's fanbase, I still feel people aren't going to warmly recieve Toad. Unless his relatively high strength and speed attract average gamers or beginers, I really can't see him being used often as a character. Well, unless they do go the full mile and include a how bunch of stuff from his past games like bombs (Wario's Woods), dice (Mario Party... Duh) and possibley a bazooka (he DID say he had one in SMRPG, and they included Peach's frying pan from SMRPG). I like the character, unless they do something really drastic for a moveset, I can't see him as an ideal choice for myself when playing. (Though he'll probably get in Brawl either way).

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i'm back and forth on whether or not i support adding Toad. i think he could be an interesting character, but i'm not convinced it would work out all that well. i guess i trust sakurai to do something really smart, and i think if he added them, they would be cool, so i'm all for it... i guess. something just seems a little wierd about it.

lets think about it this way: Toad has gotten a lot of facetime in other mario titles recently, including all the mario kart games and mario sunshine. personally, i don't see why he shouldn't be added, but that's not reason enough.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Neuvost said:
Here's my ideas for how Toad would work.

Toad would be fast and small, but of a moderate weight. He would be a very non-slippery character, so his wavedash wouldn't take him very far, but not feeling slippery has it's advantages. He'd be a slow faller. His jump is crummy (stubby legs), but he's moderately strong. He has very short reach. All this of course would have to be play tested and balanced though.

Toad's up A moves (both arial and on the ground) would be the most powerful since he can use his big head to bop his foes.

Special moves:

B - Toad "charges" a mushroom projectile, somewhat like Samus or Mewtwo, but once it's at maximum power, or if it's thrown prematurely, it acts like an item, like Peach's turnips or Link's bombs, thus can be caught, dropped, and so forth.

B Down - Toad crouches and the spots on his head pop which damages people near him, either to the side or above (but not below), creating a veritable shield against short range attacks, though it does nothing against projectiles. Characters caught above it would be juggled until they can weasel out of it. It wouldn't send character's flying very far, but could be great in combos or as a combo breaker.

B Side - His Smash B would be a strong, but slow head thwack, where he smacks people with his big 'ol mushroom head. It would jerk him forward when used in the air, thus could be used a tiny bit for recovery. Maybe if timed right, it would reflect non-energy projectiles, much the same way Ness can only absorb energy projectiles with his B Down.

B Up - Toad would pop up a good distance (to offset his crummy jump). This is the least fleshed out of my special move ideas, so any contributions would be greatly appreciated.

Anything to add, guys?

EDIT: Oh, and they could add my main man Toadsworth as a clone character for a little variety. Tha'd be sweet.

Hmmm. It's good for a start, but there doesn't seem to be any moves that reference back to his games. How about:

B - Yours might work, but how about instead of restricting yourself to just a mushroom-based projectile, how about he randomly pulls out one of a selection of old Mario powerups. If he doesn't charge them enough, he throws the item like... well... and item, which can only be thrown by the enemy back at you for damage, but if he does, he equips the item and it maps to his neutral b. (Sort of like Kirby, except he takes from his own pool of moves and it requires him to charge) Items can be unequiped with the taunt button (In a way that looks like it's from Mario 3, where a white outline of the suit flies off of him) or by taking too much damage. Here are the suits, from common to rare:

Raccoon Toad: Gives Toad an extra jump, and causes him to be able to glide downwards slowly by holding the jump button. B attack causes him to swing the Raccoon tail. It acts like Mario's cape and reflects projectiles as well.

Tanuki Toad: Also gives Toad extra jumping skills. B attack causes him to turn into a statue briefely, making him invulnerable, much like Kirby's stone. Throws can still get to him in the air, the statue will fall quickly, and cause damage, just like Kirby's.

Hammer Toad: Toad's jumps stay the same, but he has extra armor, so he becomes slightly heavier. B attack throws an arcing hammer that causes pretty good damage, but with low knockback.

Frog Toad: Toad's Jumps are insanely high, but he only has two, and his walking and running speed slow down cosiderably. Also, his B attack is a counter-move.

P-wing: Toad gets in the Raccoon toad costume, but he only gets two jumps. But now he can "true float" one of his jumps, like Peach. His B attack is the same as the Raccoon Toad one.

Kuribo's Shoe: Disables all A and B moves. Causes Toad to damage people by jumping on them, for very good damage. Is knocked out of this item by one enemy hit.

Bdown: Yours is a good move, but I still like the idea of Toad pulling things out of the ground. Maybe not turnips, but definately something. How about Mario 2 enemies. He pulls out Mario 2 enemies, that travel along the stage until they are killed, and they can do damage in their own way. He pulls them out and is able to throw them at the enemy. If he does not, then the enemy wanders along the stage like the AI in Mario 2, trying to kill something. From common to Rare:

Red/pink Shyguys: They simply walk back and forth along the stage. Red shyguys do more damage, but will walk off the stage to their doom. Pink shyguys will turn around when they come to a cliff, but are weaker and easier to kill.

Grey/Pink Snifits: They will follow the closest enemy and will shoot a slow-moving bullet if on the same plane as their target. Greys do more damage, but will walk off the stage. Pinks do less, but will turn around when a cliff comes up.

Tweeter: A hopping horse-like enemy. Will bounce around until it is killed or falls off a cliff. Does more damage than Red Shyguys.

Porcupo: Cannot be killed with A moves. If you try, it hurts you. You have to kill it with b moves. It will walk off the stage to it's doom.

Birdo: Pulls out the same Birdos from the Mushroom Kingdom 2 stage. treat accordingly.

Bob-omb: Self explanitory.

B side: A headbutt move is all well and good, but it sounds like a dash A. I say, how about a Mario Kart move? He pulls out a kart and drives foreward, much like Yoshi's Egg, and can turn around and keep going until someone does damage to him. He has to be careful up going off of the stage, of course, but thats to be expected.

Up B: Up B is a toughie. How about something like a high jump upwards (But not too high, this is Toad we're talking about) and on his descent, if he lands on any enemies heads, he'll bounce off, do damage and will be able to do his upB again, sort of like C. Falcon's attack.

--------

I'm not saying your moveset was bad, I'm just saying it didn't really inspire nostalgia as much as it perhaps should have.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Maybe his up-B could start with him crouching, and you have to hold up and b until he starts glowing, then once you release, he jumps super high, sort of like how you could jump in SMB2.
Depending on how long you hold it, he'll jump higher. So instead of using your recovery move when near the edge, like with Mario or Kirby, you'll have to time it more.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Jenkins: Spy Monkey said:
Maybe his up-B could start with him crouching, and you have to hold up and b until he starts glowing, then once you release, he jumps super high, sort of like how you could jump in SMB2.
Depending on how long you hold it, he'll jump higher. So instead of using your recovery move when near the edge, like with Mario or Kirby, you'll have to time it more.
Thats the ticket! I like it.

Shark X

Smash Lord
dotdotdot! said:
Play Mario 2. Toad and Peach are the only characters worth playing in that game. Mario and Luigi suck in it. Now play Wario's woods, Toad is the one and only hero in that.

He most certainly doesn't contribute nothing.
Not to mention Toad kicks soo much *** in all three console Mario Karts.

Lord_Deathborne said:
I dunno. I think we have enough Mario characters as it is... still, Toad should definently get in before Birdo, Waluigi, Daisy, Petey Piranha, Bowser Jr., etc. but only after Geno and maybe Capt. Syrup.
Capt Syrup was the cute main villain girl of the Wario series, right? Never played those games (and she wasn't in Wario World), but I think I heard of her.

Muffin_man

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get why you guys constantly act like Wario's a Mario character. Other than the cameo games (that the DK crew also appear in, yet everybody seems to count them as a separate franchise). How many times does Mario actually have a large part (if any) in the Wario games? Other than a couple quick cameos in Wario Ware (and a whole bunch of Nintendo characters make cameos in them), I can't really think of any since waaaaay back in Wario Land 1's ending. [/rant]

dotdotdot, (geez, that's going to get annoying to type out after awhile :p), I really like how you've fused a whole bunch of memorabilia from the first three Mario Bros. games for Toad's attacks. Especially since this wouldn't be the first time he's used those power-ups (he used them practically all the time along with Mario, Luigi and Peach in the cartoon show, though that technically isn't cannon). Though him pulling out Birdo's a bit weird, along with his jump attack, considering his one major draw back in SMB2 was that he didn't jump high. With these kinda attacks, he might be right up there with Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers in terms of fun and unique fighting styles.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Maybe because Wario debuted in a Mario game, and Wario's first game was called Mario Land 3. Not to mention Mario and Wario dress alike (why is that anyway? Couldn't Wario make up his own style back then? Had to copy Mario's?). Wario also was a main playable character in the Mario 64 remake. Wario was also the villain of Toads game, who we all know is a Mario character. (Of course Wario was also the main villain of a Bomberman game once). If anything, Wario is a Mario spin-off, but Wario is still a MArio character, as is DK (technically, Mario should be a DK character).

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Muffin_man said:
I still don't get why you guys constantly act like Wario's a Mario character. Other than the cameo games (that the DK crew also appear in, yet everybody seems to count them as a separate franchise). How many times does Mario actually have a large part (if any) in the Wario games? Other than a couple quick cameos in Wario Ware (and a whole bunch of Nintendo characters make cameos in them), I can't really think of any since waaaaay back in Wario Land 1's ending. [/rant]

dotdotdot, (geez, that's going to get annoying to type out after awhile :p), I really like how you've fused a whole bunch of memorabilia from the first three Mario Bros. games for Toad's attacks. Especially since this wouldn't be the first time he's used those power-ups (he used them practically all the time along with Mario, Luigi and Peach in the cartoon show, though that technically isn't cannon). Though him pulling out Birdo's a bit weird, along with his jump attack, considering his one major draw back in SMB2 was that he didn't jump high. With these kinda attacks, he might be right up there with Mr. Game & Watch and Ice Climbers in terms of fun and unique fighting styles.
You can just type Three periods and an exclaimation mark if you like.

Yes, his Up B is sort of a problem move, because you don't want it to be TOO good, just because of Toad's base concept, but you also don't want him to join the ranks of characters with lame recoveries (Or at least, I don't, I can't stand playing as a character with no recovery power). Then again, Toad's neutral b (As I put it) would become a big part of his game just because the Raccoon transformations would make it so that he perhaps doesn't need a third jump. So maybe instead of giving him a "good" third jump, perhaps we could give him something that is servicable, but nothing special, and let most of the other Recovery duties be soaked up by the Raccoon suit's extra jump and light float, or hope for a P-wing and get Peach's "true float."

How about something like giving a short hop and throwing a chest from Mario 3 up in the air? The chest would then open and release some random attack. Then again, that gives him three different random-effect moves (don't get me wrong, I love random effect moves.) so maybe something similar but less random would be in order.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
...!, your specials are probably the best I have ever seen. I had two ideas for Up B

1 ) Dice - Toad leaps and tosses a die / dice from Mario Party. Dunno what it would do, but just a thought.

2) Surprise! - Toad rockets out of that bag that he and the other Toads are trapped in at the end of SMB1 in SMAS. Kinda like Fox / Falco's Up B.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Aeris said:
...!, your specials are probably the best I have ever seen. I had two ideas for Up B

1 ) Dice - Toad leaps and tosses a die / dice from Mario Party. Dunno what it would do, but just a thought.

2) Surprise! - Toad rockets out of that bag that he and the other Toads are trapped in at the end of SMB1 in SMAS. Kinda like Fox / Falco's Up B.
for the dice idea, it would be cool if the number you role has the same effect as G&W
s hammer attack. Only since it's a projectile, it'd be a hybrid of that and Peach's turnips.

I love the Surprise! idea, it's one of the most creative moves I've seen suggested for Toad.

I was wondering, would people rather Toad change color when multiple people choose him? Or would you rather see him get cool accesories like the Pokemon characters usually do? I know it's kind of a pointless question, but it sounded fun in my head.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Thanks! Haha, I try. =)

Um, I don't really have a preference. Color changes are more likely, and it would probably be generally easier to identify at a quick glance, but either one would be okay in my book.

fireycheeseball

Smash Rookie
Falco101 said:
I read somewhere online that Toad and Wario were confirmed characters for SSBB. Now I saw in the trailer that Wario has been confirmed, but where does that leave my buddy Toad? I would include the URL but I don't remember where I saw this.

That being said, any speculation on Toad being in SSBB?

Also, what kind of movesets do you think they'll both have? I hope Wario has a moveset based on his moves in Warioworld. I think the piledriver (for his d-throw) would be awesome.
ur buddy? eww. hes a mushroom with a body.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Jenkins: Spy Monkey said:
for the dice idea, it would be cool if the number you role has the same effect as G&W
s hammer attack. Only since it's a projectile, it'd be a hybrid of that and Peach's turnips.

I love the Surprise! idea, it's one of the most creative moves I've seen suggested for Toad.

I was wondering, would people rather Toad change color when multiple people choose him? Or would you rather see him get cool accesories like the Pokemon characters usually do? I know it's kind of a pointless question, but it sounded fun in my head.
"I wanna be Extra-guy mushroom Toad."
"No! I wanna be Extra-guy Toad, you can be Poison Mushroom Toad."
"No way! I'm Poison mushroom toad. You can be normal Toad."
"Screw it. I'm being Super Mushroom Toad."

It'll be like one of those "Know your Mushrooms T-shirts." Besides, if he has accessories, and it uses my B moveset, then the Raccoon ears and frog-suits and things would conflict with the costumes.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
fireycheeseball said:
ur buddy? eww. hes a mushroom with a body.

He's not a mushroom, his hat is a mushroom though, and even so, would it matter if he was a mushroom?They have monkeys, dinosaurs, rats, stick figures and baloons in it, so even if he was a mushroom, I doubt that would change his chances (Which are very high).

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Although Toad has an inexplicably large fanbase, I don't think he is a prime fighting character, especially when the list to get into SSBB is so long. Toad should be thankful that Peach keeps him in her dress. In general, shorter characters also get the short end of the stick and Toad would end up as one of them.

Also, with so many franchises vying for character slots, having even MORE Mario characters is just greedy. Mario chars already take up the most slots as is - arguably, it IS the most popular franchise, but in doing this it also shuts out MAIN characters from other franchises which also have large fanbases. I was under the impression that Nintendo was trying to make SSBB have as wide character choice as possible - and why wouldn't they? More choice = more happy fans.

Finally, this. I already posted this elsewhere, but since this is explicitly about Toad...

Toad's moveset.
B: Cower in fear
A: Hide behind rock
Tilt B: Try to get back into Peach's dress.
Smash B: Beg for clemency
Down B: Get stepped on
Up B: Nearest opponent grapples you (not a bad recovery move)
Smash A: Scream "Help"
Taunt: "The princess is in another castle."
etc. etc.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I dont have time to read 11 pages of stuff but one arguement that was sure to come up was that peach was also getting captured and is just as helpless as toad. But over the years, the makers have given peach a much spunkier attitude while they have kept toad as weak as ever. Maybe if they put him as a sidekick in two or more of the mario games, then he can be a character.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Krytha said:
Finally, this. I already posted this elsewhere, but since this is explicitly about Toad...

Toad's moveset.
B: Cower in fear
A: Hide behind rock
Tilt B: Try to get back into Peach's dress.
Smash B: Beg for clemency
Down B: Get stepped on
Up B: Nearest opponent grapples you (not a bad recovery move)
Smash A: Scream "Help"
Taunt: "The princess is in another castle."
etc. etc.
I already posted a moveset that proves that he could be a fighter, your argument is weak and invalid.

But I do like that you used the word "Clemency." 10 points for that. :)

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:
I already posted a moveset that proves that he could be a fighter, your argument is weak and invalid.

But I do like that you used the word "Clemency." 10 points for that. :)
That list illustrates that historically, Toad is not a fighter. The fact that you created a hypothetical list of moves doesn't invalidate my argument at all. Besides, the list was more for humourous effect, although the point should come across clear as day.

I could create a moveset for Tingle right now, but who the heck wants Tingle in SSBB? Cranky Kong should be in SSBB before Toad.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Krytha said:
That list illustrates that historically, Toad is not a fighter. The fact that you created a hypothetical list of moves doesn't invalidate my argument at all. Besides, the list was more for humourous effect, although the point should come across clear as day.

I could create a moveset for Tingle right now, but who the heck wants Tingle in SSBB? Cranky Kong should be in SSBB before Toad.
What's wrong with having characters who aren't explicitly fighters in SSBB? It didn't stop G&W in Melee, and it didn't stop Zelda (Before WW she hadn't been much of a fighter, except in the CD-i Zeldas, and those don't count, and also, Sheik is never actually shown fighting, and Zelda is still captured very easily after revealing herself.) and it didn't stop Doc Mario (That's pusing it, of course, but if we are to assume that D.Mario and Mario are two different people, then D.Mario never fought before Melee). I think the "Accidental fighters" and "Unlikely heroes" are some of the coolest fighters in Fighting games. Dan Hibiki, Roll, and Servbot, case in point (Although, I would like to have Toad be a little more useful than those clowns).

Toad is an important player in the Marioverse, and has been around since SMB1. He also has a name, and an important role to play, was and is routinely a playable character, and he has a fanbase. What more do you want?

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
dotdotdot! said:
What's wrong with having characters who aren't explicitly fighters in SSBB? It didn't stop G&W in Melee, and it didn't stop Zelda (Before WW she hadn't been much of a fighter, except in the CD-i Zeldas, and those don't count, and also, Sheik is never actually shown fighting, and Zelda is still captured very easily after revealing herself.) and it didn't stop Doc Mario (That's pusing it, of course, but if we are to assume that D.Mario and Mario are two different people, then D.Mario never fought before Melee). I think the "Accidental fighters" and "Unlikely heroes" are some of the coolest fighters in Fighting games. Dan Hibiki, Roll, and Servbot, case in point (Although, I would like to have Toad be a little more useful than those clowns).

Toad is an important player in the Marioverse, and has been around since SMB1. He also has a name, and an important role to play, was and is routinely a playable character, and he has a fanbase. What more do you want?
Of course there's nothing wrong with having "non-fighters" in a fighting game that's as wild and stretchy as SSBB and one way or another, individual opinions will have no impact on whether a character makes it into the game or not. I can't definitely shut a character out of the game, but I can express why I don't think they would make a splash.

Toad's nature in past Mario games has been rather tertiary... and that's kinda pushing it. From a cameo role in Peach's dress to full fledged fighter? That's quite a jump. It is the flavour of Toad which makes me so adamant about keeping him in his messenger role. He's a lover, not a fighter.

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=114

You'll never look at Toad the same way again.

All joking aside, he just doesn't strike me as the kind of 'shroom to bear arms. I suppose he does to other people, which is why they want him in (some people want Birdo), but he doesn't do it for me.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Who cares if he was a move, Wario, Pit and Metknight were trophies, that also seems ilke quite a jump, he had a fighting role in Mario Bros 2 ans was the hero of Wario's Woods, he is a fighter,he has moves, a fanbase, a starring role, he'd be unique and, since more Mario characters is probably going to happen, and the fact that he is the most likely one, that pretty much qualifies his for a spot in brawl. Not to mention he got robbed by Wario (strong and bad jumper, Wario stole his stats). You can express why they wouldn't make a splash, but I can express why they would.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Look...tropies are very different to actual IN GAME moves. Peach is probably going to be in Brawl, and when she presses B, she is probably going to take out her little mushroom slave to block incoming evils. It would just be too weird and also POOR and uneven conceptual design if Toad was a playable character and also appeared as Peach's B attack. It's like Mario losing his cape in Brawl and hitting his opponents with a Yoshi instead.

It could be a possibility that Toad would be in this game, but ONLY if Peach gets a new B attack, and quite frankly I think Nintendo won't want to change her move simply because of the comedy value it poses.

However, Toad could work. He does have his own moves and things, but I still don't see him as being iconic enough to make it into Brawl as a playable character. He may be popular, but he's still in the role of "semi-support".

Although Toad with a bunch of spore and plant-related moves would be very cool. Nintendo would have to pull a Captain Falcon on him and make up most of his moveset, I'd say. He does have a big head that would work like Ness's in the air and on the ground.

Top Bottom