• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Yeah, before the game on the DS (was it Super Princess Peach, meh, I never played it.) she was no more of a fighter then Toad. Toads are sometimes made out to be weak, but other times they are fighters, like in Paper Mario.

Toad is the best addition to the Mario characters aside from Paper Mario. (In my opinion.)

xenogears23

Smash Apprentice
toad is just too small to really be a good fighter....plus i'm a total peach player...and frankly he belongs in my cleavage

sry folks

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
toad is just too small to really be a good fighter....plus i'm a total peach player...and frankly he belongs in my cleavage

sry folks
That lucky mushroom.

Honestly though, when I first saw that one of Peach's moves was literally hiding behind one of her slaves (if you will), I was extremely disappointed. Not only is that unfair to Toad, but I also think it's an insult to Peach's character.

Overall, a no-no. Toad for Brawl.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
While I do see how you could say Toad has never really fought much, I still think Toad might have good potential to be playable. If you think they might include mario kart/sports games, Toad could be a rep for that franchise. He could gain movesets from Mario Sports and Kart. I think that could make him fun.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
I agree, he would be great, but I think he should be repping sm2 the most, the others can still be repped by him, but his shining times were in sm2 and mario cart, but mainly sm2 in my opinion.
But since they have a mario cart stage, I wouldn't be sad if he got in repping mario cart.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
TOAD IS A AT TYPE WHY DO PEOPLE THINK HES MOSTLY A FIGHTER?

He only fought in a game or two.

He mostly appeared to "help" people play the new Mario game series.. such as Mario Party.

Do we really need a helper as a fighter?

Its like peace turning into war.
Well, to quote our "illustrious" and "intelligent" Commander in Chief: "When you're talkin' about war, you're really talkin' about peace." Genius, I know. :dizzy:

Yeah, before the game on the DS (was it Super Princess Peach, meh, I never played it.) she was no more of a fighter then Toad. Toads are sometimes made out to be weak, but other times they are fighters, like in Paper Mario.

Toad is the best addition to the Mario characters aside from Paper Mario. (In my opinion.)
I would put Toad before Paper Mario, but I'm glad that you acknowledge Toad's ability to fight and the fact that he has in certain situations.

sry folks
So THAT'S where Toad's been all this time! I wondered why he had yet to join the Smash series as a PC. He must have been stuck in there.... ;)

That lucky mushroom.

Honestly though, when I first saw that one of Peach's moves was literally hiding behind one of her slaves (if you will), I was extremely disappointed. Not only is that unfair to Toad, but I also think it's an insult to Peach's character.

Overall, a no-no. Toad for Brawl.
Funnily enough, I never even considered that factor. For Peach to truly define herself as a strong, independent woman warrior, it would behoove her to leave Toad to fight for himself. It almost seems sexist when you put it that way: certainly a "no-no". We'll tack this onto the giant lists of "Why Peach Should Get a New B-Move" and "Why Toad Should Be Playable in Brawl". :grin:

While I do see how you could say Toad has never really fought much, I still think Toad might have good potential to be playable. If you think they might include mario kart/sports games, Toad could be a rep for that franchise. He could gain movesets from Mario Sports and Kart. I think that could make him fun.
Toad truly shines in the Kart games, and he fared quite well in Mario Tennis (64, anyway). He also has a great deke in Mario Strikers Charged; he can jump the goalie! I think that it would only be natural for Toad's moveset to reflect his many hats and many different games, kart and sporting endeavors included.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Toad has more options of move sets than almost any other character in the game, look at his history!!!
Who cares if he's not a born fighter, he's a born surviver and we already had that debate (a long time ago) about how he'd be the perfect DEFENSIVE character and add a new technique of fighting style to the game.
SM: Poison Mushrooms are a must if you ask me, i just think it would be cool...

Toad could Toadaly be the next Pichu!
lol
jk
Seriously though, similar size and shape, but Toad would actually be cool and unique and have something to offer on the Brawl table

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
i agree with you dynamism. i think sakurai will stick with toad's stats from smb2, but as far a moveset goes i think he will draw most of it from toad's character. and by that i mean similar to how DK got his moveset

Gekkou

Smash Rookie
I would love to play as Toad. I'm don't know how strong he would be, but Toad is such a great character. ^_^

Gindor

Smash Ace
A defensive strategy wouldn't rock in brawl, only if you gave it some punch, which would only fit as counter attacks. But then there would be no reason to attack toad, unless he could annoy and interupt everything the foe does. the foe would then be forced to swat him away, he then would use a counter attack, and potentially kill/heavilly damage them.
After his reputation for that rises, there would be two types of enemies.

-the fearful-they would run away, being constantly annoyed would force them to face the fact that they will have to fight him, which then becomes the second type of person.

-the fearless-they would attack toad fearlessly and be counter attacked every time by a skilled toad user and would be forced to see that fact that toad became high/top tier for a reason.

Toad would be hellishly effective in a team match. Toad wouldn't have to rely on recovery moves and his horrible jumping skills wouldn't matter in the hands of a skilled toad user. He wouldn't be good in the hands of lesser skilled players due to his odd defensive style.
Also, he would make it into high tier for reasons that others didn't use. Fox falco, sheik and marth got in mainly because of their speed, though marth also has range and attack priority backing him up.

EDIT-Toad's speed and power would be reprisented in this style. The power would be reprisented by his counter attacks. His speed would be good, but not godly. Also the defensive/counter attack style would support his protective nature and personality.

Toad seeks revenge against peach!
Toad for brawl!

Neko Godot

Smash Cadet
Seven of the eight are currently slated to appear in Brawl based on official announcements and Smash history (Luigi!). Toad is the only character who has had no mention.
He's also the only one of the "big 8" who Sakurai never planned on having in the original Smash Bros.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
RRRRRRR!!!!!!!!SAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toad will dominate the smash world for the next DECADE!!!!!!!

- something hits Mario in the face and he flies off the cliff, he couldn't see it. He jumps towards the edge and it hits him again! This time he saw it, it was hanging on the only ledge available and Mario needed to survive. He waited for the last second and used UpB and punched towards the ledge with all his might. It was too late! With amazing speed, the creature managed to jump backwards and strike him directly downwards. What was it? It was small! -
- Meanwhile, on the platform, Toad poisons the DK crew by putting mushrooms in their bananas and they begin spazzing on Wario and Bowser. Throwing the two of them along with eachother of the ledge on the other side. -
- Toad walks up to Luigi. -
"I'll let you live cause you're kind of cool and didn't really do anything to me. NOW RUN!!!"
- Luigi jumps away and Peach is hiding on the side. -
Toad walks up to her "We're gonna have some fun you and I!" - Toad licked his small lips and rubbed his hands together. -
Peach knew this was coming. She brought it all upon herself and her freinds. Now she would have to pay for what she has done. She never thought Toad would actually join the Brawl roster when he was the last of The 8 and still un-mentioned. Time's up.
"Bend over princess! HAHAHA!"

We all know what happened after that.

Toad For Brawl

Dynamism

Smash Lord
As far as I see it, Toad has as much a chance of being playable in Brawl as Tingle.

And they were BOTH in Melee.
ummm.... wtf.... where've you been? You idio...

...*starts ussusal rant* a point is usless without reinforcement, back it up or be burninated! (i love that phrase :chuckle:)
Thank you for stopping me. lol

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
ummm.... wtf.... where've you been? You idio...

Thank you for stopping me. lol
Don't call me an idiot for having an opinon that differs from the majority of the people in this thread.

@ Gindor: Toad has made his appearance in the Smash Bros series. If Toad was to have his own moveset, Sakurai wouldn't have already gone and wasted his potential by making him Peach's personal shield.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
RRRRRRR!!!!!!!!SAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toad will dominate the smash world for the next DECADE!!!!!!!

- something hits Mario in the face and he flies off the cliff, he couldn't see it. He jumps towards the edge and it hits him again! This time he saw it, it was hanging on the only ledge available and Mario needed to survive. He waited for the last second and used UpB and punched towards the ledge with all his might. It was too late! With amazing speed, the creature managed to jump backwards and strike him directly downwards. What was it? It was small! -
- Meanwhile, on the platform, Toad poisons the DK crew by putting mushrooms in their bananas and they begin spazzing on Wario and Bowser. Throwing the two of them along with eachother of the ledge on the other side. -
- Toad walks up to Luigi. -
"I'll let you live cause you're kind of cool and didn't really do anything to me. NOW RUN!!!"
- Luigi jumps away and Peach is hiding on the side. -
Toad walks up to her "We're gonna have some fun you and I!" - Toad licked his small lips and rubbed his hands together. -
Peach knew this was coming. She brought it all upon herself and her freinds. Now she would have to pay for what she has done. She never thought Toad would actually join the Brawl roster when he was the last of The 8 and still un-mentioned. Time's up.
"Bend over princess! HAHAHA!"

We all know what happened after that.

Toad For Brawl

haha... ****** ****

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Don't call me an idiot for having an opinon that differs from the majority of the people in this thread.

@ Gindor: Toad has made his appearance in the Smash Bros series. If Toad was to have his own moveset, Sakurai wouldn't have already gone and wasted his potential by making him Peach's personal shield.
Well obviously you haven't been reading this thread. Peach's moves are suspected to be changed to her SPP moves, letting Toad be his own character.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Well obviously you haven't been reading this thread. Peach's moves are suspected to be changed to her SPP moves, letting Toad be his own character.
thanks for stopping me.

Please make an Toad moveset to lower my huge doubt in Toad ever happening.
there have been many great ones, I'm sure someone can find them for you (certainly not me, I'm tired). The more fans the merrier.

Edit-heres my idea

A defensive strategy wouldn't rock in brawl, only if you gave it some punch, which would only fit as counter attacks. But then there would be no reason to attack toad, unless he could annoy and interupt everything the foe does. the foe would then be forced to swat him away, he then would use a counter attack, and potentially kill/heavilly damage them.

-the fearful-they would run away, being constantly annoyed would force them to face the fact that they will have to fight him, which then becomes the second type of person.

-the fearless-they would attack toad fearlessly and be counter attacked every time by a skilled toad user and would be forced to see that fact that toad became high/top tier for a reason.

Toad would be hellishly effective in a team match. Toad wouldn't have to rely on recovery moves and his horrible jumping skills wouldn't matter in the hands of a skilled toad user. He wouldn't be good in the hands of lesser skilled players due to his odd defensive style.
Also, he would make it into high tier for reasons that others didn't use. Fox falco, sheik and marth got in mainly because of their speed, though marth also has range and attack priority backing him up.

FYI, I am part nOOb and didn't quote myself from the past page right.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys

EDIT-Toad's speed and power would be reprisented in this style. The power would be reprisented by his counter attacks. His speed would be good, but not godly. Also the defensive/counter attack style would support his protective nature and personality.

Toad seeks revenge against peach!
Toad for brawl!
It's a very interesting idea. If anything, this proves that Toad actually does have options. I would love to see Marth, Sheik and Fox try to go all-out on Toad, only to be crushed with a flurry of counterattacks. :grin:

This would be the course of action that I prefer most. We might have an idea of its likelihood, too, if Sakurai would FINALLY update with Peach! :mad:

Please make an Toad moveset to lower my huge doubt in Toad ever happening.
I posted one in Wiseguy's thread recently, actually. I meant to post it here, as well, but it slipped my mind. I'll find it and repost it here later. In the meantime, enjoy Fawriel's fantastic moveset as linked above. :grin:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Here's my repost. Enjoy!

Toad

Height: *
Weight: **
Attack Power: ****
Grab Range: **
Running Speed: *****
Jump: *
Falling Speed: ***

Basic Attacks:
A: Double Kick
Toad nearly topples backward by using a high kick. Pressing twice results in a double kick with powerful knockback, but Toad falls on his back in the process.

F-tilt: Flail
Toad flops forward, driving his mushroom head into the opponent. Good damage and knockback.
U-tilt: Defense Mechanism
Toad crouches down and releases spores above him, much like he does when defending Peach in SSBM. While the move doesn't pack much power or knockback, the move does have high priority.
D-tilt: Sweep Kick
Toad flattens out and performs a sweep kick. Damage is average and knockback is low, but the opponent is stunned.

Dash Attack: Last Resort
Toad runs forward frantically, flailing his arms about like Luigi. Knockback is low, but the damage can rack up with consecutive hits.

Smash Attacks:
FSmash: Game-Set-SMASH
Toad pulls out his rainbow racquet from Mario Tennis 64 and delivers a powerful slice, creating a flurry of bubbles and sending the opponent backward. The longer the Smash is charged, the higher the damage and the further the knockback.
USmash: Star Hammer
Toad pulls out his hammer from Mario Party 3 and swings it in an arc over his head. Low knockback but good damage.
DSmash: Victory Dance
Toad busts out his breakdancing skillz by spinning around on his head; think his post-goal dance from Mario Strikers Charged, or just Sheik's DSmash. The damage is good, but the move truly shines if the opponent is just above Toad at the time of execution. In such a case, the opponent is sucked down into a vortex-of-sorts and struck multiple times for exceptional damage.

Aerials:
Nair: Aerial Flail
Toad extends every limb in his body with a burst of energy, looking as if he were parachuting sans parachute. This flailing movement has two hitboxes: one at Toad's feet and another at his head and fists.
Fair: Fire Meteor
Toad emulates his Skillshot from Mario Strikers Charged, Fire Meteor. He kicks the opponent, setting him or her ablaze, and sending him or her off as a fireball at a very slight downward slope with good damage.
Bair: Clobber
Toad once again whips out his star hammer and sticks it straight out behind him, twirling it briefly. The move has good knockback if it connects with the opponent as it is being shoved outward; otherwise, hammer lingers for a moment, doing less damage and offering little knockback.
Uair: Star Wave
Toad pulls a star out of his pocket and raises it high above his head--or as high as his little arms can reach. This move has low knockback but fairly high priority and a minor electric shock effect.
Dair: Head Drill
Toad dives headfirst for the ground in a drill attack. Can deliver a few consecutive hits for low damage.

Special Moves:
B : Star Toss
Toad pulls a star out of his pocket (à la Mario Party and SM64) and lobs it. A simple tap launches a star with a high, skinny arc that ends close to Toad. The longer the move is charged, the flatter the arc and the further the star will travel.

Side B: Mushroom Kart
Much like Wario, Toad can pull his own vehicle out of thin air and put it to good use. Toad can turn around with a flick of the control stick. By pressing B, Toad uses a Golden Mushroom for a huge burst of speed. The boost can be utilized more than once, but a small pause occurs between each use, preventing uber-boosts. When Toad is hit, he is ejected from the kart, and the kart slows to a halt. Only one kart can appear onstage at the same time.

Down B: Pluck
Toad takes a page from Peach's book and picks an item from the ground; however, he performs the task with almost no lag, unlike the Princess. Toad's turnips are relatively strong, but the "Sad Turnip" does not appear, nor do the Bob-ombs, Mr. Saturns, or Beam Swords. Instead, Toad can randomly pick other SMB2 vegetables (pumpkins and radishes). Likewise, Toad can also randomly pluck a few other items from the ground: Bombs (from Wario's Woods), Hearts (SMB2 ones, which restore a middling amount of health, but nothing substantial), Mushrooms, Starman, Koopa Shells, and POW Blocks. The most elusive of items, however, is the Magic Potion, which allows Toad to enter a door into Subcon and move freely about the background of the stage invisibly for a few seconds. Toad can neither give nor receive damage, but his movement is unhindered while in Subcon. A few seconds later, he will reenter through another door where his hidden movement came to an end. To compensate for the huge benefits that this move could bestow upon our favorite mushroom, Toad occasionally will dig straight into the ground for a moment, leaving him open to attack.

Up B: Super Jump
Once again, Toad recalls a special ability from SMB2. He charges up briefly, glowing, and then leaps skyward with a burst of power. The vertical leap's horizontal movement can be controlled slightly. By charging even longer, Toad begins to flash and the move's height increases substantially.

Final Smash: Party Time!
Toad's Final Smash is an homage to his work as host for so many of Mario's "exclusive" parties. Everything comes to a halt with a spotlight on our beloved retainer. Toad pulls a dice block out of his pocket and--no, wait, two--no, three! The player selects which dice block will correspond to which opponent; an opponent can also fall victim to more than one block. Toad then hits the dice block, and confetti bursts across the screen with each hit. The following comprise the effects that correspond to each randomly-selected number:
1 - Dice Block. It drops down from above the opponent's head for small damage.
2 - Poison Mushroom. The opponent takes periodic damage for a few moments until the effect wears off.
3 - Fire Flower. The opponent is blasted with flames, racking up small but continuous damage.
4 - Tanooki Suit. The suit falls onto the opponent and he or she is instantly transformed into the Tanooki statue. He or she is frozen for a few moments.
5 - Lightning, the bane of Mario Karters everywhere. Strikes the opponent for noticeable damage. He or she is also stunned temporarily from the electric shock when play resumes.
6 - Chain Chomp. This crazy creature drops from the sky and sinks its teeth into the opponent. Strong damage.
7 - Bullet Bill. The notorious projectile veers down from the sky, swirling around the opponent before finally making explosive contact, causing substantial damage and knockback.
8 - Dizzy Dial. The opponent's control scheme is completely rearranged (ex: A -> Down, Up -> B) for a few moments.
9 - Toad Stampede. Many denizens of Toad Town and a collection of other assorted Toads crash the stage and trample all opponents for heavy damage.
10 - Bazooka! Toad pulls out his infamous weapon from SMRPG and blasts the opponent into the stratosphere. Instant KO, but quite rare.

Grabs:
Toad jumps and grabs onto the opponent's chest--or at their face, etc. The idea is that Toad latches onto the opponent.

Jab: Noggin Bash
Toad smacks the opponent with his sizable noggin.

Fthrow: Rolling Toss
Toad tips the opponent over, rolls forward, and tosses him or her forward.
Uthrow: Juggle
Toad falls backward, taking the opponent with him. In the process, he pops him or her up into the air with his fists. This is Toad's only weak throw, but the small knockback is useful for juggling.
Dthrow: Frenzy Stampede
Toad pushes the opponent over and stomps on them a few times in a frenzy, each successive stomp becoming more powerful.
Bthrow: Bicycle Kick
Toad falls backward, taking the opponent with him. He then kicks him or her backward.

Taunt:
Toad giggles and holds up the V for Victory. "Yeah!"

Winning Poses:
Winning pose #1:
Toad runs around screaming in a frenzy, frantic and frightened. He trips and appears shocked. After a moment, he realizes that he is all right and smiles at the camera. "*giggle*"
Winning pose#2:
Toad speeds into sight on his Mushroom Kart after a burst of glowing speed from the Golden Mushroom. "I'm the best!"
Winning pose#3:
Toad holds up a star and basks in its radiant aura. "Ooooh..."

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
I haven't read through this entire thread nor could I be bothered to, but that's besides the point.
But that's just speculation. Nothing about Peach's moves changing drastically has been confirmed.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I haven't read through this entire thread nor could I be bothered to, but that's besides the point.

But that's just speculation. Nothing about Peach's moves changing drastically has been confirmed.
Personally, I'd love to see Peach get new Standard and Side Special Moves based on her SPP excursion. Now if Sakurai would just update about her... ;)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
All in due time.
Ah, but not soon enough! Peach fans, myself included, have been waiting patiently--er, not-so-patiently--for some sign of our princess since Brawl was announced back at E3 '05. Last Friday's video brought us hope that she would get an update soon, but apparently "soon" is relative.

coolchris818

Smash Cadet
TOAD!! he was everywhere in that f'ing castle! time for him to be in brawl!

I bet i know wat his level would be....

LOBBY OF PEACH CASTLE!!!

FS: SNES MARIOKART RACER CONTROL!! POP THAT BITC!.!

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
here is my toad moveset which people always seem to skip over

Toad move set-

Speed- 4/5 Power- 4/5 Defense- 3/5 Jump- 1/5

^B- parachute hat, toad takes his hat off and it inflates like a parachute, allowing him to float as if he had an umbrella, and is canceled when he is attacked or when the down button is pushed. While on this parachute his legs flail back and forth, doing damage to anyone who touches them.
Strategy- since this move grant toad no extra height, but gives him floatiness it is best to use this after getting knocked off stage to float back, so if you double jump back and are still below the level of edge grab this move does you no good. Another good way to use this move is to jump over someone and activate it…

B>- summons mushroom, toad reaches down, pulls an item out of the ground, and throws it in front of him. Each item has a different effect, whether it is positive or negative. Move cannot be done in the air
Item list-
Poison mushroom- 3% damage every second for 5 seconds
death mushroom- instant KO
1 up mushroom- gives an extra head in stock battles, or raise score by 1
regular mushroom- heals player 15%
giant mushroom- turn giant for 15 seconds
Turnip- does 10% damage when thrown
Shrink mushroom- shrinks for 30 seconds
Bomb- explodes doing 15% damage

VB- release spores, toad releases spores from his mushroom that spreads out in a cloud around him. If an opponent enters the cloud he becomes confused and his movements are reversed, meaning that up becomes down, left becomes right, and visa-versa. This not only effects general movements but button combos, so pressing VB while confused produces your ^B move. Can be used in the air
Strategy- this move is incredibly effective against speed characters, comboers, and jugglers who would otherwise have an unfair advantage over toad because of his poor jumping ability, and if you’ve ever played earthbound when you get a mushroom on your head you know how it feels to have your movements reversed.

B- hat trick, toad climbs into his enormous hat, negating all damage inflicted upon him while in hat. If done in the air the hat will spin, doing damage to anyone it hits in its decent and bouncing twice after hitting the ground. Watch out though because toad can be kicked while in hat trick mode. Lasts three attacks

Final smash- mushroom cloud, toad’s hat builds up energy and expands until it explodes releasing a large cloud of poison gas onto the field. All opponents caught in the blast are poisoned and stunned for 20 seconds.
Toads A moves are a mix of wrestling, grappling, and tackling moves which utilize his speed and power to the fullest. Oh and did I mention that he has the weakest jump in the game.

Top Bottom