• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Why are Toads NOT important to the Mario series? Toad was in the original Super Mario Bros. game! He was around before Yoshi, and around LONG before Waluigi.
Yoshi's more important, he's the reason Mario lives today, and was the father. Yes, he's extremely important for annoying you. OF COURSE! BINGO! THE TIMES THEY WERE AROUND ARE STUPENDOESLY RELEVANT TO THEIR SIGNIFICANCE! Bravo.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
ok if no one cares that yoshis are generic then why do you care so much that toads are generic
I care, because Yoshis are MUCH more significant to the plot. Toads are generic because they're a race as is Yoshis, but they serve no purpose really. If they're cowards and strong, they're useless.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
I don't thinka nyone cares that Yoshis are Generic. It's true about Fe games, and you should get some. They rule. Toad is indefinetly not important for the series. Waluigi COULD be, if Nintendo gave him an alibi and background.
I agree, but right now toad seems better (to me at least)...

BowserJR would probably be a Support Trophy at most.
I agree

ok if no one cares that yoshis are generic then why do you care so much that toads are generic
thank you!

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I care, because Yoshis are MUCH more significant to the plot.
How? By being something Mario sometimes rides on?

Toads are generic because they're a race as is Yoshis, but they serve no purpose really.
They serve as much of a purpose as Yoshis do. And there IS on singular Toad that you play as. His name is something like "Kinopio" (I wish Aeris were here to correct me because I'm sure I butchered that name) and he is the Toad that you see and play as in SMB2, Wario's Woods, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. Yoshi is also one singular Yoshi, but I don't know it has it's own name.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Link and Samus don't have their names in their games (with one or two exceptions), so why should it matter when it comes to Toad?
They have a series dedicated to them. It's literally obvious if a game starts with Metroid or Legend of Zelda it's going to be obvious who's in which game. I've never seen Wario's Woods 2 or Wario's Woods: Return of the idiotic arguer.
I agree, but right now toad seems better (to me at least)...

I agree

thank you!

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
How? By being something Mario sometimes rides on?
Yoshi helped raise and take care of Mario. What has Toad done, direct him to the next castle?
They serve as much of a purpose as Yoshis do. And there IS on singular Toad that you play as. His name is something like "Kinopio" (I wish Aeris were here to correct me because I'm sure I butchered that name) and he is the Toad that you see and play as in SMB2, Wario's Woods, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. Yoshi is also one singular Yoshi, but I don't know it has it's own name.
Yoshis are famous for their games, like the Baby mario stuff or the new stuff comming on the DS. Toad's never had a good game by himself. If his name was Kinopio and Yoshi had another name too, why aren't those names used instead of the species name?

Iggy K

Smash Ace
They have a series dedicated to them. It's literally obvious if a game starts with Metroid or Legend of Zelda it's going to be obvious who's in which game. I've never seen Wario's Woods 2 or Wario's Woods: Return of the idiotic arguer.
You really haven't answered the question, why does Toad's name not being in the title automatically make it mean he isn't the main character?

Gindor

Smash Ace
Yoshi helped raise and take care of Mario. What has Toad done, direct him to the next castle?
That was quite important, otherwise mario would have just been wandering around.
*But he was*-you whining
That is because bowser is a son of a ***** and made at least 20 false castles.

Edit-toad would have sent him in the right direction, but bowser saw that coming and made castle after castle, hoping that at some point mario would die.
I mean over 20 castles, if mario was human it would have worked.
Also, with that determination, bowser deserves peach.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
That was quite important, otherwise mario would have just been wandering around.
*But he was*-you whining
That is because bowser is a son of a ***** and made at least 20 false castles.
Let me COrrect myself, he never directed, he only said she was in another castle. How is that important compared to Mario LIVING?

You really haven't answered the question, why does Toad's name not being in the title automatically make it mean he isn't the main character?
He doesn't have a franchise on the game, he has no series so he's unimportant. I'm gathering it's just an awful game, since it HAD NO SEQUEL.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Admittedly, Yoshi has one up on Toad in this way—Toad hasn't exactly fostered a child. That doesn't make him unworthy for Brawl. He's still apart of the big 8, alongside Yoshi. Since Wario is now in Brawl, if Toad weren't in Brawl, he'd be THE ONLY ONE of the big 8 to not be a PC. That's just not fair to the little guy.

Yoshis are famous for their games, like the Baby mario stuff or the new stuff comming on the DS. Toad's never had a good game by himself.
He's still had his own game though. Whether it's good or not is irrelevant because that's a matter of opinion. I personally hate the Donkey Kong games, but he's in Smash, ain't he?

If his name was Kinopio and Yoshi had another name too, why aren't those names used instead of the species name?
Kinopio is his japanese name. He's given his species' name elsewhere, for whatever reason. I suppose it's kind of like the opposite of Bowser being called "Bowser" rather than "Koopa" or whatever.

Weed

Smash Lord
Kinopio is his japanese name. He's given his species' name elsewhere, for whatever reason. I suppose it's kind of like the opposite of Bowser being called "Bowser" rather than "Koopa" or whatever.
Too bad the announcer doesn't say "Kinopio!" when you select Yoshi under the Japanese language in Melee :/

so many names I wanted to hear in Japanese..

Iggy K

Smash Ace
So now if you don't have your own series you're unimportant? We better get rid of half of the characters in Melee then. And just because a game is good it does not automatically mean it's getting a sequel. IC's never had a sequel, should we get rid of them?

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Admittedly, Yoshi has one up on Toad in this way—Toad hasn't exactly fostered a child. That doesn't make him unworthy for Brawl. He's still apart of the big 8, alongside Yoshi. Since Wario is now in Brawl, if Toad weren't in Brawl, he'd be THE ONLY ONE of the big 8 to not be a PC. That's just not fair to the little guy.

He's still had his own game though. Whether it's good or not is irrelevant because that's a matter of opinion. I personally hate the Donkey Kong games, but he's in Smash, ain't he?

If you hate donkey kong games, you havn't played any of the DK KONGO game things.Who's the Big 8? He hasn't had his franchise in games, making his game probably suck. The one with Geno is the major exception, everyone loved that game and it was rumored to make a comeback on GBA, Ds, or Wii. Bowser isn't called Koopa for a reason, he has a name and he's unique. I think Kinipio must be japanese for Toad then. Don't Dare bring Yoshi into this, Dinosaurs can't name themselves.

Gindor

Smash Ace
He doesn't have a franchise on the game, he has no series so he's unimportant. I'm gathering it's just an awful game, since it HAD NO SEQUEL.
Sequels ussually destroy series. the designers use up their ideas, and then the series is known as crap. Disney shows many examples of this.
Maybe it is good his game didn't get a sequel, and sequel don't make greatness, story, gameplay, or style does. Toads game had great addicive gameplay.

Edit @ biggie smalls-dinosaurs can't name themselves, but others can. We call eskimos eskimos, but that is not the name they gave themselves.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Too bad the announcer doesn't say "Kinopio!" when you select Yoshi under the Japanese language in Melee :/

so many names I wanted to hear in Japanese..
It probably does in the Japanese version
So now if you don't have your own series you're unimportant? We better get rid of half of the characters in Melee then. And just because a game is good it does not automatically mean it's getting a sequel. IC's never had a sequel, should we get rid of them?
The only one would be Ice climbers, and barely anyone would mind that I'd bet. This arguement fits well with Waluigi as well.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Sequels destroy series. the designers use up their ideas, and then the series is known as crap. Disney shows many examples of this.
Maybe it is good his game didn't get a sequel, and sequel don't make greatness, story, gameplay, or style does. Toads game had great addicive gameplay.
If the game's SOOO good, why isn't it on virtual console, eh? Who gives a **** about disney? The sequel of Super Smash Brothers is crap you say? Hand me the crack you're smokin', I want a puff of that.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
The only one would be Ice climbers, and barely anyone would mind that I'd bet. This arguement fits well with Waluigi as well.
How does it only fit the IC's? You just said if a character dosen't have their own series they're unimportant, which means that by your logic, most of the characters from Melee should be cut. And how does it apply to Waluigi?

If the game's SOOO good, why isn't it on virtual console, eh? Who gives a **** about disney? The sequel of Super Smash Brothers is crap you say? Hand me the crack you're smokin', I want a puff of that.
... Are you stupid? It IS on the Virtual Console.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
How does it only fit the IC's? You just said if a character dosen't have their own series they're unimportant, which means that by your logic, most of the characters from Melee should be cut. And how does it apply to Waluigi?
Answer the big eight. Ice Climbers doesn't have a series, and Ness from Earthbound had a japanese series of some sort I understand. Where's the rest that don't have a series? GW has been in many GW handheld classics. Waluigi has never had a Franchise yet.

I said ussually. smash is a rare exception.
Ok, how about The second of the mario games, the third, all 9 sequels of Mario Party, Castlevania Sequels, Pokemon Version Sequals, FE sequels,.... I'll stop crushing you at there.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Answer the big eight. Ice Climbers doesn't have a series, and Ness from Earthbound had a japanese series of some sort I understand. Where's the rest that don't have a series? GW has been in many GW handheld classics. Waluigi has never had a Franchise yet.
Ness had one game in the Mother series. Peach, Luigi, Bowser, Zelda, Ganon, Roy and Marth don't have their own series, that makes them unimportant according to you.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Ness had one game in the Mother series. Peach, Luigi, Bowser, Zelda, Ganon, Roy and Marth don't have their own series, that makes them unimportant according to you.
**** Roy and Marth. Peach has had a magnificant game, and she is tied in with the super mario games, as is Luigi and Bowser. Zelda and Ganondwarf are tied in the LoZ series. Ness wasn't TOO BAD of a character, but I remember there was a series that went to the events up to Motherbound that tied him in, I recall.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
I'm gone for a week in the morning, but

Replayed some FE, sry bout the mistake. You do play as Roy's father/son or w/e

Humans are generic, but CF made it lol. Yoshis are generic, but not THE yoshi named Yoshi. Yoshis have dif names. night and gb for a week

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Peach has had a magnificant game, and she is tied in with the super mario games, as is Luigi and Bowser.
You know who else is tied in. . . ?

Toad is part of the big 8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Yoshi, DK, and Wario. For all I know, this "big 8" has been fanmade, and Nintendo may not acknowledge it. REGARDLESS, Toad is a singular character, has (at least almost) as much of an impact on the Marioverse as Yoshi does, and has just as much potential as a fighter as anyone else (Captain Falcon automatically cancels out the "So-and-so couldn't have a moveset" argument for any character).

If you don't believe he's a singular character, read and learn: http://www.mariowiki.com/Toad

JPTight

Smash Cadet
This threads for toad... not characters that were barely known to anyone in America before smash... (FE)
hmm, maybe hes just gonna be in as an AT.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I'm gone for a week in the morning, but

Replayed some FE, sry bout the mistake. You do play as Roy's father/son or w/e

Humans are generic, but CF made it lol. Yoshis are generic, but not THE yoshi named Yoshi. Yoshis have dif names. night and gb for a week
You must be able to read japanese then. English games FE games so far and only are Path of Radiance and Sacred Stones. Yes, Yoshi have names. Their soon to be extinct brains understand languages. They Acknowledge when the name not acknowledged to them is called.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
This threads for toad... not characters that were barely known to anyone in America before smash... (FE)
hmm, maybe hes just gonna be in as an AT.
yes to AT. Those are examples in the arguement.

Toad is part of the big 8: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Yoshi, DK, and Wario. For all I know, this "big 8" has been fanmade, and Nintendo may not acknowledge it. REGARDLESS, Toad is a singular character, has (at least almost) as much of an impact on the Marioverse as Yoshi does, and has just as much potential as a fighter as anyone else (Captain Falcon automatically cancels out the "So-and-so couldn't have a moveset" argument for any character).

If you don't believe he's a singular character, read and learn: http://www.mariowiki.com/Toad
Then 7 of the Big 8 are playable characters in Brawl, I shall Hypothesize. The only game Toad's had was a PUZZLE GAME? My god, That's not a game basically at all. The Mariowiki doesn't say Toad was strongest. It says he picked vegetables faster and was fast (IMO sounds like an illegal alien). Caption Falcon was probably fan requested because it was Nintendo's only racing game to represent itself, and was quite fun. You contradict yourself. You said Yoshi had a one up over toad because it fostercared for mario.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Then 7 of the Big 8 are playable characters in Brawl, I shall Hypothesize. The only game Toad's had was a PUZZLE GAME? My god, That's not a game basically at all. The Mariowiki doesn't say Toad was strongest. It says he picked vegetables faster and was fast (IMO sounds like an illegal alien). Caption Falcon was probably fan requested because it was Nintendo's only racing game to represent itself
Why isn't it a game? Because you don't like it? That's like saying sports games/racing games/RPG's etc aren't games. You should probably stop arguing, you're making yourself looks very stupid. And F-Zero fan requested? Practically no one knew about it before SSB.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Why isn't it a game? Because you don't like it? That's like saying sports games/racing games/RPG's etc aren't games. You should probably stop arguing, you're making yourself looks very stupid. And F-Zero fan requested? Practically no one knew about it before SSB.
You obviously havn't seen the fanbase of the guy. Puzzle games are barely games at all. Puzzle Games are better situated in Mario party games.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
I've seen his fanbase, it's big, notice that it's after Smash Bros, like I said. And why are Puzzle games barely games? You still haven't answered the question.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Ugh. The internet goes down at my house so I'm stuck leeching off of our neighbor's connection (shh!) and look what happens: anarchy in Toad Discussion! I will not stand for this in Toad's thread! :mad:

First of all, my most sincere thanks to Circus, Iggy K, and all others who disputed the naysayers during my absence. My reign of this thread is being challenged because of unfortunate circumstances involving lightning, our lightning rod, and the electric molestation of our phone line. I multiquoted a posting plethora, so bear with me.

Toad's power is 4/5?! He is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too small and light for that.

And all you'd be getting is a profile screenshot and some text. Just knowing she's confirmed should be good enough for you to rest easy.
Not necessarily. In SMB2, Toad had both the greatest power and the greatest speed. His jump was abysmal, but that flaw was easily glossed over in light of his fantastic other attributes.

And Peach's profile might include a hint from Sakurai that Toad will not be Toad's lackey this time around. We still have hope!

Toad as Peach's B move is terrible. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: It's not just unfair to Toad; it's an insult to Peach's character. Hiding behind one of her servants? Pretty cowardly if you ask me. And since when has Toad expelled spores? Random, gross, totally wrong. Not only does Toad deserve better treatment, but Peach deserves a better B move. Make it happen, Sakurai.

Toad for Brawl.
I <3 Circus. Really, though, I think this argument is fantastic because it's not just insulting to Toad; it's demeaning to the princess that she doesn't fight on her own. Don't get me wrong--I love me some Peach--but it seems odd that she has so much skill in Melee that it seems like a waste for her to rely on Toad for one single move of her arsenal.

I really don't think he'll make it. Toadetter would be good, she's unique, but toad is generic. Was he even on Sakurai's poll?
Yes, he sure was. Toadette might have been on there as well, but Sakurai CHOSE to include a Toad request on his posted poll. The fact that Sakurai acknowledged a desire to see Toad in Brawl is a good sign, not to mention his high placement on the Melee polls as well.

And how many times other than SMB2 has he been portrayed as a powerhouse?
How many other times has Peach been able to float? (Note: while she was also able to float in SPP and SPM, she used Parry in SPP and her personal parasol in SPM.)

...You quoted yourself. Wow.

1: He's generic. No generic character has been in Smash yet(don't use Pikachu, because that was THE pikachu, and there is no THE toad in the mario series).

2: He is small, was used as a background character/attack, and why would Sakurai waste character space with so many more deserving characters on the line?

3: Toad can't fight, all he's ever done is jump on enemies and throw radishes. Peach had floating going for her and she is a much more popular character.

I see no good evidence supporting Toad. His fanbase is not as large as you might believe.
1) Wrong. Read it and weep: http://www.mariowiki.com/Toad
2) "Deserving" is a very subjective word. If by "deserving" you mean "a notable character of the series since its inception" then I think Toad fits the bill.
3) Neither Peach's ability to float--avec or sans parasol--nor her popularity give her any more skill as a fighter than Toad. They both got their start in SMB2, and since SPP was released after Melee, said game was Peach's only true fighting experience prior to SSBM. Just a thought.
4) His fanbase certainly is rabid, though. Also consider the fact that, while Toad may not be the first pick for some people, they might not object to his inclusion.

Wait, wait, wait. Has Toad ever had his own game? Like, ever?
*sigh* Yes. He starred in SMB2; he played the sole protagonist, however, in Wario's Woods.

No, no, you're right! :grin: I feel so proud. There is no name difference between THE Yoshi and the race itself. Toad, on the other hand, is clearly differentiable (calculus humor!) by his Japanese name, Kinopio.

Yoshis are famous for their games, like the Baby mario stuff or the new stuff comming on the DS. Toad's never had a good game by himself. If his name was Kinopio and Yoshi had another name too, why aren't those names used instead of the species name?
Personally, I love Wario's Woods. I find the puzzle gameplay to be quite addicting. And they don't use "Kinopio" because it's a Japanese name. Duh. ;)

QFT. I would hate to see another Smash game go by without Toad on the playable roster.

If you hate donkey kong games, you havn't played any of the DK KONGO game things.Who's the Big 8? He hasn't had his franchise in games, making his game probably suck. The one with Geno is the major exception, everyone loved that game and it was rumored to make a comeback on GBA, Ds, or Wii. Bowser isn't called Koopa for a reason, he has a name and he's unique. I think Kinipio must be japanese for Toad then. Don't Dare bring Yoshi into this, Dinosaurs can't name themselves.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Eight

Toad didn't name himself, either. Really, none of the characters named themselves.

It's true that the "Big Eight" is more of a theoretical truth than something recognized officially by Nintendo; on the other hand, it's a generalization widely accepted in the Nintendoverse.

And again with the moveset thing (so many Negative Nancies!): there are plenty of movesets for Toad in this thread. I just posted one recently, and Fawriel linked to his around the same time. Many other contributors posted sets, but I forget some of them so I will abstain from mentioning any more names lest I offend the one or two who I fail to mention. The point is that the people giving off these negative vibes need to stop the "moveset" argument because it has no basis. If someone has come up with a moveset--regardless of whether they work on the game or not--then the character technically has the potential to fight.

Well, that was draining! What a shame it is that a few people feel the need to discourage our hopes of seeing our lovable little mushroom in Brawl. :ohwell: Just keep your fingers crossed!

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I've seen his fanbase, it's big, notice that it's after Smash Bros, like I said. And why are Puzzle games barely games? You still haven't answered the question.
Puzzle games are nothing. it's just like a Rubex cube. It's pointless.They should be put on Mario party games. He's had a pretty good fanbase even before Melee.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Then 7 of the Big 8 are playable characters in Brawl, I shall Hypothesize.
You don't find it at all odd that they put in 7 of the 8? Seems extremely unfair to me.

The only game Toad's had was a PUZZLE GAME? My god, That's not a game basically at all.
And? Who cares? Toad as a character has a fanbase regardless of that game. I've wanted Toad in Brawl since before I even knew that game existed.

The Mariowiki doesn't say Toad was strongest. It says he picked vegetables faster and was fast (IMO sounds like an illegal alien).
So? None of that makes him less of a candidate for Brawl. I don't care if they make Toad weaker than every other character—he still deserves to be in. (and the reason he picked vegetables the fastest is because of his strength. That's all strength was used for in that game, iirc)

Caption Falcon was probably fan requested because it was Nintendo's only racing game to represent itself, and was quite fun.
What's your point? I don't care how Captain Falcon got in the game—that has nothing to do with my point. The fact remains that Captain Falcon's moveset was entirely made up for Smash means that any character has potential for a moveset. I'm just saying that Toad can fight.

You contradict yourself. You said Yoshi had a one up over toad because it fostercared for mario.
I did not contradict myself. I never said Toad ever had a one up over Yoshi—I'm just saying that like Yoshi, Toad is a singular character. He may not have the kind of responsibility that Yoshi had (taking care of Baby Mario) but he's his own character, he has a fan base, he's important to the Marioverse, and he can fight. He deserves a Brawl spot.

EDIT: Omigosh. That monster of a post Aeris just planted on here has so much pwnage in it.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
So since you don't like them they're not games? I don't like sports games and think they're pointless, does that mean they're not games?

*Glances at Aeris' wall of text*

... Well I think that confirms who the biggest Toad fan here is.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
yes to AT. Those are examples in the arguement.

Then 7 of the Big 8 are playable characters in Brawl, I shall Hypothesize. The only game Toad's had was a PUZZLE GAME? My god, That's not a game basically at all. The Mariowiki doesn't say Toad was strongest. It says he picked vegetables faster and was fast (IMO sounds like an illegal alien). Caption Falcon was probably fan requested because it was Nintendo's only racing game to represent itself, and was quite fun. You contradict yourself. You said Yoshi had a one up over toad because it fostercared for mario.
-10 points for making a vague racial slur/rude comment. And...

To say that CF's appearance in Smash is justified by being "fan-requested" opens the door for so many things, namely the comparable justification of Toad's inclusion in Brawl because it has been "fan-requested". Wario's Woods was the last game released for the NES and it was quite fun as well, just so you know. Does that improve its standing as far as games go and how much their respective characters "deserve" representation in Smash?

Puzzle games are nothing. it's just like a Rubex cube. It's pointless.They should be put on Mario party games. He's had a pretty good fanbase even before Melee.
-10 for misspelling "Rubik's". Erno would be quite upset with you. Toad's fanbase originated probably from a cult following that were amused by the retainers' quip that the princess was--as per usual--"in another castle". It was most likely SMB2, though, that really gained new fans for Toad. He was both the fastest and the strongest character in the game, which certainly prompted heavy usage. From that point on, Toad was a notable figure in the Marioverse and has remained as such ever since. No matter with whom you discuss the Mario series, it is certain that most anyone familiar with the games will recognize Toad--or at least "that mushroom dude". :grin:

EDIT: Glad you like the post, Circus! =) I'm so glad to have you here to present strong arguments in favor of our lovable little 'shroom.

And @Iggy: As if there were ever any doubt that I am the biggest Toad fan on the boards. ;) (I'm glad to have you here as well!)

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Ugh. The internet goes down at my house so I'm stuck leeching off of our neighbor's connection (shh!) and look what happens: anarchy in Toad Discussion! I will not stand for this in Toad's thread! :mad:

First of all, my most sincere thanks to Circus, Iggy K, and all others who disputed the naysayers during my absence. My reign of this thread is being challenged because of unfortunate circumstances involving lightning, our lightning rod, and the electric molestation of our phone line. I multiquoted a posting plethora, so bear with me.

Not necessarily. In SMB2, Toad had both the greatest power and the greatest speed. His jump was abysmal, but that flaw was easily glossed over in light of his fantastic other attributes.
So? I barely used him in the game
And Peach's profile might include a hint from Sakurai that Toad will not be Toad's lackey this time around. We still have hope!

I don't

I <3 Circus. Really, though, I think this argument is fantastic because it's not just insulting to Toad; it's demeaning to the princess that she doesn't fight on her own. Don't get me wrong--I love me some Peach--but it seems odd that she has so much skill in Melee that it seems like a waste for her to rely on Toad for one single move of her arsenal.

You love Circus and Peach...............Anyways Toad is great, because it makes her have the strongest counter.

Yes, he sure was. Toadette might have been on there as well, but Sakurai CHOSE to include a Toad request on his posted poll. The fact that Sakurai acknowledged a desire to see Toad in Brawl is a good sign, not to mention his high placement on the Melee polls as well.

That's because I wasn't there, and many more people there.

How many other times has Peach been able to float? (Note: while she was also able to float in SPP and SPM, she used Parry in SPP and her personal parasol in SPM.)

It's all the same thing. She floats in SSBM both ways.
...You quoted yourself. Wow.

QFT

1) Wrong. Read it and weep: http://www.mariowiki.com/Toad
2) "Deserving" is a very subjective word. If by "deserving" you mean "a notable character of the series since its inception" then I think Toad fits the bill.
3) Neither Peach's ability to float--avec or sans parasol--nor her popularity give her any more skill as a fighter than Toad. They both got their start in SMB2, and since SPP was released after Melee, said game was Peach's only true fighting experience prior to SSBM. Just a thought.
4) His fanbase certainly is rabid, though. Also consider the fact that, while Toad may not be the first pick for some people, they might not object to his inclusion.

1at what?
2Toad doesn't and what?
3Peach is better, and don't forget 2
4Toad's Fanbase is horribley small.

*sigh* Yes. He starred in SMB2; he played the sole protagonist, however, in Wario's Woods.

He's great because he appears in spin offs, and a puzzle game where he basically doesn't do anything.

No, no, you're right! :grin: I feel so proud. There is no name difference between THE Yoshi and the race itself. Toad, on the other hand, is clearly differentiable (calculus humor!) by his Japanese name, Kinopio.

I don't see.

Personally, I love Wario's Woods. I find the puzzle gameplay to be quite addicting. And they don't use "Kinopio" because it's a Japanese name. Duh. ;)

Addictive is not fun.

QFT. I would hate to see another Smash game go by without Toad on the playable roster.

Then you'd hate to see SSBB

http://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Eight

Toad didn't name himself, either. Really, none of the characters named themselves.

Huh?

It's true that the "Big Eight" is more of a theoretical truth than something recognized officially by Nintendo; on the other hand, it's a generalization widely accepted in the Nintendoverse.

And again with the moveset thing (so many Negative Nancies!): there are plenty of movesets for Toad in this thread. I just posted one recently, and Fawriel linked to his around the same time. Many other contributors posted sets, but I forget some of them so I will abstain from mentioning any more names lest I offend the one or two who I fail to mention. The point is that the people giving off these negative vibes need to stop the "moveset" argument because it has no basis. If someone has come up with a moveset--regardless of whether they work on the game or not--then the character technically has the potential to fight.

I never did a moveset arguement. Any moveset is possible. Look at Ice Climbers.
Well, that was draining! What a shame it is that a few people feel the need to discourage our hopes of seeing our lovable little mushroom in Brawl. :ohwell: Just keep your fingers crossed!
Wow...alot I wrote in italic Bold.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
So since you don't like them they're not games? I don't like sports games and think they're pointless, does that mean they're not games?

*Glances at Aeris' wall of text*

... Well I think that confirms who the biggest Toad fan here is.
Technically they're not.

-10 points for making a vague racial slur/rude comment. And...

To say that CF's appearance in Smash is justified by being "fan-requested" opens the door for so many things, namely the comparable justification of Toad's inclusion in Brawl because it has been "fan-requested". Wario's Woods was the last game released for the NES and it was quite fun as well, just so you know. Does that improve its standing as far as games go and how much their respective characters "deserve" representation in Smash?

-10 for misspelling "Rubik's". Erno would be quite upset with you. Toad's fanbase originated probably from a cult following that were amused by the retainers' quip that the princess was--as per usual--"in another castle". It was most likely SMB2, though, that really gained new fans for Toad. He was both the fastest and the strongest character in the game, which certainly prompted heavy usage. From that point on, Toad was a notable figure in the Marioverse and has remained as such ever since. No matter with whom you discuss the Mario series, it is certain that most anyone familiar with the games will recognize Toad--or at least "that mushroom dude". :grin:
Illegal Immigrants is not a race I believe. Anyone from another country that comes in America can be an illegal alien. CF's fanbase is much more immense than Toad's. I don't care if I make a small typo. Yes, anyone can recognize Toad as the peasent he is.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Wow...alot I wrote in italic Bold.
You did. And much of it was mere quibbling, not arguing or rebutting. Just because you--one person!--do not want Toad in Brawl does not mean that there are more people against Toad's inclusion than those who favor his appearance. Please keep things in perspective here.

Also, the point made when I brought up that Peach was only able to float once prior to SSBM was comparable to the fact that Toad was quite strong and very fast in the same game. Her special ability, only seen once prior to Melee, was included in the game. Why would using Toad's statistics from that game, his only "real" fighting experience if we're quibbling (and it seems that you might like to do so), be any different?

Illegal Immigrants is not a race I believe. Anyone from another country that comes in America can be an illegal alien. CF's fanbase is much more immense than Toad's. I don't care if I make a small typo. Yes, anyone can recognize Toad as the peasent he is.
The implication was clear. Refute it all you want, it's irrelevant now, much like your posting in this thread. Saying that CF's fanbase is much larger than Toad's without any justification or proof makes your "argument" a tad flimsy, wouldn't you say? And you only serve to further damage any semblance of credibility that you once had by resorting to calling Toad a "peasant". It does nothing to dispute my statement, nor does it assist your pseudo-argument.

Top Bottom