• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
That's not exactly what I meant... Peach is exactly like Toad in that nobody would have expected her to be any good in a battle. I would have been hard-pressed to come up with a decent moveset for her... And I bet most people wouldn't have liked the idea of playing as "the princess".
Then she turned out to be high-tier and a few thousand people mained her.
Pff.
I can definitely see this happening, too. There's this latent power that I know Toad hides; Smash would be the perfect outlet. :)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
/nod
"Newcomer warning!"-Ike. With an actual new newcomer, we can expect to see more soon.
Lets' all hope/pray for toad!
Toad for brawl!
It's difficult to say whether or not we can expect to see Toad soon. While Ike's inclusion as a possible secret characters considerably broadens the range of which character will be next, we cannot say that Ike's inclusion came as a surprise. If he is unveiling the "obvious" secret / new characters first, then expect to see Diddy, Dedede, Ridley, and maybe even Lucario before Toad. :ohwell: It would help to have Peach's update because then we could see if she is using Parry like she should.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I think that toad is a bit to important to the series to be a secret character...but due to how odd his style would be compared to other brawlers, he might be a secret character...
I feel the same way about Toad; he truly is an important part of the series's history, and it would be a crime against the franchise to exclude Toad from Smash for a THIRD iteration. However, we must also consider that Mario, Peach, and Bowser will all be playable from the get-go, possibly Luigi as well (although I reckon he'll be secret once more). Three Mario characters seems fair enough as far as the default roster goes, and two unlockable characters for such a huge franchise seems reasonable. I would certainly like to see Toad on the default roster, but I just don't see Sakurai making him available right away.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I don't care whether or not Toad is playable from the beginning or if he is unlockable. As long as he is playable!
I agree! I suspect that he would be unlockable, seeing as Mario, Bowser, and Peach will all be default. Luigi will probably be secret again, and since Doc won't return, that leaves a Mario slot open for our favorite mushroom! :grin:

Here's my official moveset. I might change it later, but here you go:

Toad

Height: *
Weight: **
Attack Power: ****
Grab Range: **
Running Speed: *****
Jump: *
Falling Speed: ***

Basic Attacks:
A: Double Kick
Toad nearly topples backward by using a high kick. Pressing twice results in a double kick with powerful knockback, but Toad falls on his back in the process.

F-tilt: Flail
Toad flops forward, driving his mushroom head into the opponent. Good damage and knockback.
U-tilt: Defense Mechanism
Toad crouches down and releases spores above him, much like he does when defending Peach in SSBM. While the move doesn't pack much power or knockback, the move does have high priority.
D-tilt: Sweep Kick
Toad flattens out and performs a sweep kick. Damage is average and knockback is low, but the opponent is stunned.

Dash Attack: Last Resort
Toad runs forward frantically, flailing his arms about like Luigi. Knockback is low, but the damage can rack up with consecutive hits.

Smash Attacks:
FSmash: Game-Set-SMASH
Toad pulls out his rainbow racquet from Mario Tennis 64 and delivers a powerful slice, creating a flurry of bubbles and sending the opponent backward. The longer the Smash is charged, the higher the damage and the further the knockback.
USmash: Star Hammer
Toad pulls out his hammer from Mario Party 3 and swings it in an arc over his head. Low knockback but good damage.
DSmash: Victory Dance
Toad busts out his breakdancing skillz by spinning around on his head; think his post-goal dance from Mario Strikers Charged, or just Sheik's DSmash. The damage is good, but the move truly shines if the opponent is just above Toad at the time of execution. In such a case, the opponent is sucked down into a vortex-of-sorts and struck multiple times for exceptional damage.

Aerials:
Nair: Aerial Flail
Toad extends every limb in his body with a burst of energy, looking as if he were parachuting sans parachute. This flailing movement has two hitboxes: one at Toad's feet and another at his head and fists.
Fair: Fire Meteor
Toad emulates his Skillshot from Mario Strikers Charged, Fire Meteor. He kicks the opponent, setting him or her ablaze, and sending him or her off as a fireball at a very slight downward slope with good damage.
Bair: Clobber
Toad once again whips out his star hammer and sticks it straight out behind him, twirling it briefly. The move has good knockback if it connects with the opponent as it is being shoved outward; otherwise, hammer lingers for a moment, doing less damage and offering little knockback.
Uair: Star Wave
Toad pulls a star out of his pocket and raises it high above his head--or as high as his little arms can reach. This move has low knockback but fairly high priority and a minor electric shock effect.
Dair: Head Drill
Toad dives headfirst for the ground in a drill attack. Can deliver a few consecutive hits for low damage.

Special Moves:
B : Star Toss
Toad pulls a star out of his pocket (à la Mario Party and SM64) and lobs it. A simple tap launches a star with a high, skinny arc that ends close to Toad. The longer the move is charged, the flatter the arc and the further the star will travel.

Side B: Mushroom Kart
Much like Wario, Toad can pull his own vehicle out of thin air and put it to good use. Toad can turn around with a flick of the control stick. By pressing B, Toad uses a Golden Mushroom for a huge burst of speed. The boost can be utilized more than once, but a small pause occurs between each use, preventing uber-boosts. When Toad is hit, he is ejected from the kart, and the kart slows to a halt. Only one kart can appear onstage at the same time.

Down B: Pluck
Toad takes a page from Peach's book and picks an item from the ground; however, he performs the task with almost no lag, unlike the Princess. Toad's turnips are relatively strong, but the "Sad Turnip" does not appear, nor do the Bob-ombs, Mr. Saturns, or Beam Swords. Instead, Toad can randomly pick other SMB2 vegetables (pumpkins and radishes). Likewise, Toad can also randomly pluck a few other items from the ground: Bombs (from Wario's Woods), Hearts (SMB2 ones, which restore a middling amount of health, but nothing substantial), Mushrooms, Starman, Koopa Shells, and POW Blocks. The most elusive of items, however, is the Magic Potion, which allows Toad to enter a door into Subcon and move freely about the background of the stage invisibly for a few seconds. Toad can neither give nor receive damage, but his movement is unhindered while in Subcon. A few seconds later, he will reenter through another door where his hidden movement came to an end. To compensate for the huge benefits that this move could bestow upon our favorite mushroom, Toad occasionally will dig straight into the ground for a moment, leaving him open to attack.

Up B: Super Jump
Once again, Toad recalls a special ability from SMB2. He charges up briefly, glowing, and then leaps skyward with a burst of power. The vertical leap's horizontal movement can be controlled slightly. By charging even longer, Toad begins to flash and the move's height increases substantially.

Final Smash: Party Time!
Toad's Final Smash is an homage to his work as host for so many of Mario's "exclusive" parties. Everything comes to a halt with a spotlight on our beloved retainer. Toad pulls a dice block out of his pocket and--no, wait, two--no, three! The player selects which dice block will correspond to which opponent; an opponent can also fall victim to more than one block. Toad then hits the dice block, and confetti bursts across the screen with each hit. The following comprise the effects that correspond to each randomly-selected number:
1 - Dice Block. It drops down from above the opponent's head for small damage.
2 - Poison Mushroom. The opponent takes periodic damage for a few moments until the effect wears off.
3 - Fire Flower. The opponent is blasted with flames, racking up small but continuous damage.
4 - Tanooki Suit. The suit falls onto the opponent and he or she is instantly transformed into the Tanooki statue. He or she is frozen for a few moments.
5 - Lightning, the bane of Mario Karters everywhere. Strikes the opponent for noticeable damage. He or she is also stunned temporarily from the electric shock when play resumes.
6 - Chain Chomp. This crazy creature drops from the sky and sinks its teeth into the opponent. Strong damage.
7 - Bullet Bill. The notorious projectile veers down from the sky, swirling around the opponent before finally making explosive contact, causing substantial damage and knockback.
8 - Dizzy Dial. The opponent's control scheme is completely rearranged (ex: A -> Down, Up -> B) for a few moments.
9 - Toad Stampede. Many denizens of Toad Town and a collection of other assorted Toads crash the stage and trample all opponents for heavy damage.
10 - Bazooka! Toad pulls out his infamous weapon from SMRPG and blasts the opponent into the stratosphere. Instant KO, but quite rare.

Grabs:
Toad jumps and grabs onto the opponent's chest--or at their face, etc. The idea is that Toad latches onto the opponent.

Jab: Noggin Bash
Toad smacks the opponent with his sizable noggin.

Fthrow: Rolling Toss
Toad tips the opponent over, rolls forward, and tosses him or her forward.
Uthrow: Juggle
Toad falls backward, taking the opponent with him. In the process, he pops him or her up into the air with his fists. This is Toad's only weak throw, but the small knockback is useful for juggling.
Dthrow: Frenzy Stampede
Toad pushes the opponent over and stomps on them a few times in a frenzy, each successive stomp becoming more powerful.
Bthrow: Bicycle Kick
Toad falls backward, taking the opponent with him. He then kicks him or her backward.

Taunt:
Toad giggles and holds up the V for Victory. "Yeah!"

Winning Poses:
Winning pose #1:
Toad runs around screaming in a frenzy, frantic and frightened. He trips and appears shocked. After a moment, he realizes that he is all right and smiles at the camera. "*giggle*"
Winning pose#2:
Toad speeds into sight on his Mushroom Kart after a burst of glowing speed from the Golden Mushroom. "I'm the best!"
Winning pose#3:
Toad holds up a star and basks in its radiant aura. "Ooooh..."

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Very good moveset, Aeris! It is very similar to what I have in mind for Toad.
Thanks! The two main problems I had were personal bias and accuracy of representation. I adore Toad, so it was somewhat difficult to make him imperfect. :chuckle: The other issue was that I wanted to make sure that his moveset possessed a variety of moves that accurately reflected his broad background and his many different adventures. But I'm glad that you like it nonetheless! :grin:

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
I like the party move, but I think it might be spammed too much, for infinite range and no horible side effects, plus more chance for the rare bazooka. maybe he sometimes might target himself with it?
I think the turnip move is a bit...over thought, but on the other hand, i can't suggest anything to replace it, maybe the one where he pulls his hat (?) down over him and anything that hits it causes spores to come out, but that one depends on if it is a hat...

very good moveset!
Toad for brawl!

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I like the party move, but I think it might be spammed too much, for infinite range and no horible side effects, plus more chance for the rare bazooka. maybe he sometimes might target himself with it?
I think the turnip move is a bit...over thought, but on the other hand, i can't suggest anything to replace it, maybe the one where he pulls his hat (?) down over him and anything that hits it causes spores to come out, but that one depends on if it is a hat...

very good moveset!
Toad for brawl!
Hahah, thanks! The thing to remember about the party move is that it's a Final Smash, meaning that the competition to grab the Smash Ball and thus activate the FS is going to be fierce. It would probably be easy to spam CPUs with it, but humans would be far less forgiving.

Overthinking is my specialty, by the way. ;) Haha, really, though, I wanted an attack that retained the basic formula of Peach's Down Special but was still original enough in its own right and was representative of Toad, not Peach.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
heres my toad moveset

Toad move set-

Speed- 4/5 Power- 4/5 Defense- 3/5 Jump- 1/5

^B- parachute hat, toad takes his hat off and it inflates like a parachute, allowing him to float as if he had an umbrella, and is canceled when he is attacked or when the down button is pushed. While on this parachute his legs flail back and forth, doing damage to anyone who touches them.
Strategy- since this move grant toad no extra height, but gives him floatiness it is best to use this after getting knocked off stage to float back, so if you double jump back and are still below the level of edge grab this move does you no good. Another good way to use this move is to jump over someone and activate it…

B>- summons mushroom, toad reaches down, pulls an item out of the ground, and throws it in front of him. Each item has a different effect, whether it is positive or negative. Move cannot be done in the air
Item list-
Poison mushroom- 5% damage every second for 10 seconds
death mushroom- instant KO
1 up mushroom- gives an extra head in stock battles, or raise score by 1
regular mushroom- heals player 20%
giant mushroom- turn giant for 30 seconds
Turnip- does 15% damage when thrown
Shrink mushroom- shrinks for 1 minute
Bomb- explodes doing 20% damage

VB- release spores, toad releases spores from his mushroom that spreads out in a cloud around him. If an opponent enters the cloud he becomes confused and his movements are reversed, meaning that up becomes down, left becomes right, and visa-versa. This not only effects general movements but button combos, so pressing VB while confused produces your ^B move. Can be used in the air
Strategy- this move is incredibly effective against speed characters, comboers, and jugglers who would otherwise have an unfair advantage over toad because of his poor jumping ability, and if you’ve ever played earthbound when you get a mushroom on your head you know how it feels to have your movements reversed.

B- hat trick, toad climbs into his enormous hat, negating all damage inflicted upon him while in hat. If done in the air the hat will spin, doing damage to anyone it hits in its decent and bouncing twice after hitting the ground. Watch out though because toad can be kicked while in hat trick mode. Lasts three attacks

Final smash- mushroom cloud, toad’s hat builds up energy and expands until it explodes releasing a large cloud of poison gas onto the field. All opponents caught in the blast are poisoned and stunned for 20 seconds.
Toads A moves are a mix of wrestling, grappling, and tackling moves which utilize his speed and power to the fullest. Oh and did I mention that he has the weakest jump in the game.

Akiak

Smash Ace
I am reposting my moveset because I would like to know if you like it or not.

Speed-*****
Weight-**
Power-*****
Jump-**

B-Skull bash-Good damage, but can't be used continously for a sequence of attacks
B>-Hammer swing-Great damage. Opponent gets thrown far
B^-Backflip kick-Small damage, but high strategic value because the opponent flies high in the air.
BV-Hammer squash-Great damage. Opponent gets his head stuck in the ground for a brief period of time

A-Punch-small damage
AA-Punch-small damage
AAA-Karate kick-Good damage
A>-Spin kick-Good damage
A^-Grabs enemy. He can thevn throw them in any direction
AV-Uses his breakdancing skills to spin on his head kicking anyone close enough-Consecutive small damage kicks
Smash A>-Throws a poison mushroom that explodes when it hits something or someone-Very great damage
Smash A^-Throws a koopa shell that travels forward-Good damage
Smash AV-Throws a mini mushroom.Whoever gets hit becomes tiny for a brief period of time lowering all stats until the effect wears off

Crawl-Toad rolls on the floor.
Taunt-Spins on his head and says "Alright!"
Entrance-Jumps out of a "?" box and says "Let's do this!"
Final smash-Eats a Mega mushroom and becomes giant squashing everyone. Each squash does excellent damage. The effect goes on for 10 seconds.

Neko Godot

Smash Cadet
Eh, I honestly think the reason ATs were created was so that they could fit Toad into the game somehow. I just feel that Toad is too... generic of a character to be in Smash. I mean sure, there are many Yoshis, but then there's THE Yoshi. With Toad, it's just a bunch of various Toads.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
aeris just thinkin bout ur moves set, in smb2 didnt toad have insane power and jumps? i may be wrong, havnt played it in a while. but other then that good job!
Thanks very much! :grin: Toad's power and speed are very high, but his jump is abysmal.

Eh, I honestly think the reason ATs were created was so that they could fit Toad into the game somehow. I just feel that Toad is too... generic of a character to be in Smash. I mean sure, there are many Yoshis, but then there's THE Yoshi. With Toad, it's just a bunch of various Toads.
Au contraire, mon frère. THE Toad--Kinopio--is a man among men....er, Toads, as it were.

Compare:
http://www.mariowiki.com/Toad
http://www.mariowiki.com/Toad_(species)

somin tells me the reason peach has not gotten confirmed yet is because of toad
We can only hope! Sakurai is delaying the surprise that Toad will no longer be subjected to Peach's torment as her punching bag and/or human shield. This time, Toad fights for himself! :grin:

Fawriel

Smash Master
I just noticed something I found in the Super Mario Wiki article about Toad.

"Toad's emblem in various games is his own head. "

... and for some reason, they changed the Mario universe icon.

TOAD IS TEH CONFIRMED !!!

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Um... wasn't Mario's icon Toad's head all along? It's just a "mushroom".

Kye L

Smash Apprentice
Yes, that would be the Toad that stars in Wario's Woods, that Peach uses for her B, the Toad that rushes out to get Mario in M&LSS and who is playable in various spinoff/sports games. >_> Cool guy. He'll probably be playable, completing the 'big 8'.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I just noticed something I found in the Super Mario Wiki article about Toad.

"Toad's emblem in various games is his own head. "

... and for some reason, they changed the Mario universe icon.

TOAD IS TEH CONFIRMED !!!
Gahhh I hope so! The change does bode well for Toad's inclusion. Only time will tell....

Yes, that would be the Toad that stars in Wario's Woods, that Peach uses for her B, the Toad that rushes out to get Mario in M&LSS and who is playable in various spinoff/sports games. >_> Cool guy. He'll probably be playable, completing the 'big 8'.
The "Big Eight" concept is what simultaneously infuriates me and gives me hope. I'm frustrated that Toad has yet to be included in the Smash series, the only Big Eight character left out of the fun as of Brawl. On the other hand, the fact that he is the only Big Eight character yet to be represented gives me hope that Brawl will succeed in completing the octet.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
bowser jr./shadow mario combo team with paint brush would own. i don't know how they go as far as chances however

Top Bottom