• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
who says peach has to use a counter in the 1st place. this a different game, they can change some movesets here or there...peace

-hiroshi
Don't worry: I agree that Peach could do well with another move as opposed to the Toad Counter. On the other hand, should she keep the move--as it seems that most of the returning characters are keeping their old moves--it could be tweaked, replacing Toad in favor of Toadsworth or Parry. :)

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
It honestly baffled me when he wasn't in melee. I mean, come on, it's TOAD. He's been in basically every iteration of every other major Mario franchise (most notably Kart). And, they've been leaning more toward making him playable in recent games (he was playable in the most recent Mario party but not in some of the earlier ones) so I think he has a good shot.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
It honestly baffled me when he wasn't in melee. I mean, come on, it's TOAD. He's been in basically every iteration of every other major Mario franchise (most notably Kart). And, they've been leaning more toward making him playable in recent games (he was playable in the most recent Mario party but not in some of the earlier ones) so I think he has a good shot.
I feel the same way. Welcome to the Slug Club--er, Toad Club, my friend. :) Really, though, it's true that Toad is once again becoming playable more frequently. There was a period of time when Toad was rarely seen on the playable roster of any game, but it seems that the winds are favoring a return of our favorite mushroom. Everyone: cross your fingers!

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think is a better option for Peach's neutral B? I mean, she could just use Toadsworth (or Parry, whatever that is) but I think it would be more interesting to see her do something completely different. I mean, she's had her own game since then, so they should be able to come up with tons of stuff.

The Mac04

Smash Journeyman
I feel the same way. Welcome to the Slug Club--er, Toad Club, my friend. :) Really, though, it's true that Toad is once again becoming playable more frequently. There was a period of time when Toad was rarely seen on the playable roster of any game, but it seems that the winds are favoring a return of our favorite mushroom. Everyone: cross your fingers!
W00t for HP reference!

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
i remember being so pissed off when i found out i had to unlock Toad to play as him in Double Dash...
i always played as Toad...
i was outraged that this meant i would have to...
umm...
main somebody else before Toad...

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
What do you guys think is a better option for Peach's neutral B? I mean, she could just use Toadsworth (or Parry, whatever that is) but I think it would be more interesting to see her do something completely different. I mean, she's had her own game since then, so they should be able to come up with tons of stuff.
I would also like too see her move change completely. It could probably be CFed like her peach bomber.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Oh man... I just thought of something... what if they put Toadsworth instead of the classic Toad as a playable character.... *Shudder* I hope that doesn't happen...

Gindor

Smash Ace
Oh man... I just thought of something... what if they put Toadsworth instead of the classic Toad as a playable character.... *Shudder* I hope that doesn't happen...
I don't think sakurai would even make him an alt costume for toad, he's old, and more likely he would be a counter for peach than playable because of his strong ties to her.

I Like Smash...

Smash Apprentice
it still bothers me that there is any representation of Super Mario Sunshine in Brawl AT ALL...
Toadsworth is just...
no...
Nintendo should be ashamed of that abortion of a game...
its worse than any CDi game ever...
OOO NO I DIDNT!!!
hehe...
im only kidding...
but seriously that game stunk...

Gindor

Smash Ace
it still bothers me that there is any representation of Super Mario Sunshine in Brawl AT ALL...
Toadsworth is just...
no...
OOO NO I DIDNT!!!
hehe...
im only kidding...
Ehh, it stunk but it gave a new intersting playing style, I wouldn't want to see it again, but I thought it was fun(at least ish).

Gindor

Smash Ace
i cant really think of attacks for toad.
many here have based them off his past series, but imagine them like mario's, but less range, more speed, and very annoying with very little opening, high stun, and some invincibility frames. I see him like this because I really like the idea of the annoy/counter attack style. It's the main reason he's 2nd on my list, plus, the style fits him as he is a guardian, not a hunter or a champion of a fighting tourney or game.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
i remember being so pissed off when i found out i had to unlock Toad to play as him in Double Dash...
i always played as Toad...
i was outraged that this meant i would have to...
umm...
main somebody else before Toad...
Ugh, my feelings exactly! It was so disappointing to be unable to find Toad on the character select screen immediately. Needless to say, I unlocked him as soon as possible. :)

W00t for HP reference!
Yessir! (Incidentally, I never really liked HP6. Slughorn was a funny man, though).

Not going to happen. I assure you, my friend, that Toadsworth will definitely be excluded from the playable roster. Toad has a far better chance at that position, while Toadsworth is most likely to show up as an AT or as Peach's counter (if at all).

i cant really think of attacks for toad.
Um, read the thread? It's a crazy idea, I know, but there are plenty of possible movesets that people have posted. Give it a try. ;)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Toadsworth is just...
no...
OOO NO I DIDNT!!!
hehe...
im only kidding...
Toadsworth's first appearance was in Paper Mario not Super Mario Sunshine.

If my memory holds right, that is. XD

As for my opinion on Toad, I don't care whether he's in or not. That's my opinion. (or lack thereof.)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Mario sunshine was a very well made game. I just hated every idea in it, like those stupid people and the water squirter and... well, yeah. All the designs and ideas as a whole. I did, however, like most of the gameplay. I hope the new Delphino plaza level lets us knock around those gummy people things...

Toadsworth (キノじい, Kinojii?), voiced by Charles Martinet, is an elderly Toad servant of Princess Peach, first appearing in Super Mario Sunshine... Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time showed that a younger, much more care-free Toadsworth cared for Princess Peach since she was a toddler. Toadsworth made his first, and so far only, playable appearance in Mario Superstar Baseball, with most other games having him as an NPC, often giving advice or being in charge of minigames.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Mario sunshine was a very well made game. I just hated every idea in it, like those stupid people and the water squirter and... well, yeah. All the designs and ideas as a whole. I did, however, like most of the gameplay. I hope the new Delphino plaza level lets us knock around those gummy people things...
I actually thought it was rather neat. It wasn't my favorite game on the Cube (Melee, duhhhz), but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

Bahahaha I love the Piantas! Their wind-up sound in Mario Superstar Baseball is hilarious. :chuckle:

Gindor

Smash Ace
I actually thought it was rather neat. It wasn't my favorite game on the Cube (Melee, duhhhz), but it was an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

Bahahaha I love the Piantas! Their wind-up sound in Mario Superstar Baseball is hilarious. :chuckle:
I disagree, mario cart double dash FTW! Melee is incredible, and I am waiting for it's sequel, but double dash was great. After you get bored of driving on your own, you could team up with a friend and laugh at each other's mishaps, which are at the same time yours.
The coms were just like in ssb though, evil and cheating.
In summary, melee is good, but double dash is a tad better. Sunshine was very fun, sometimes I would just play around with the mechanics instead of saving the princess.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
lol.... toad.... thats funny....
Hello. Goodbye.

I disagree, mario cart double dash FTW! Melee is incredible, and I am waiting for it's sequel, but double dash was great. After you get bored of driving on your own, you could team up with a friend and laugh at each other's mishaps, which are at the same time yours.
The coms were just like in ssb though, evil and cheating.
In summary, melee is good, but double dash is a tad better. Sunshine was very fun, sometimes I would just play around with the mechanics instead of saving the princess.
I liked Double Dash, don't get me wrong, but I really think Melee takes the cake, even after 6 years. Sunshine was an interesting departure from the SM64 formula, but it was a fun experiment that produced pleasant results.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
I still can't wait for the sequal to melee because the game itself had some interesting movesand i hope that toad will be in it because he is such an interesting character. :chuckle::chuckle:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
He really is an interesting character, and I'm glad you see it that way as well. Toad is timid but simultaneously courageous. He's fun, eccentric and deeply devoted to his Princess and his Kingdom. He likes playing sports and games, and has proven himself an excellent racer. Gotta love 'im. =)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... I agree. Toad's ferociously loyal and self sacrificing, even if he seems like comic relief. Thoughts that he wouldn't be able to fight are fairly ridiculous, I'm not even sure why people ever use that argument for anyone as a smash character, as moves can be made for anyone.

I was watching the old Super Mario cartoons, and in one episode Toad used his hat like a parachute. I know the show's not really cannon, but I think that does make that proposed move seem more plausible.

... also, footstool jumping off of him would be excellently fun. Boing. Boing.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah... I agree. Toad's ferociously loyal and self sacrificing, even if he seems like comic relief. Thoughts that he wouldn't be able to fight are fairly ridiculous, I'm not even sure why people ever use that argument for anyone as a smash character, as moves can be made for anyone.

I was watching the old Super Mario cartoons, and in one episode Toad used his hat like a parachute. I know the show's not really cannon, but I think that does make that proposed move seem more plausible.

... also, footstool jumping off of him would be excellently fun. Boing. Boing.

Chickenboy666

Smash Ace
Toad would be a good character, thinking about he in Brawl makes me remember Super Mario USA (Super Mario Bros 2). But I'm not sure, I prefer the AT idea, and Toad as a Peach move is good enough. But if a Mario Bros character will be added in Brawl it should be Toad.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
We dont need any more Mario chars thank you very much.

Assist trophy.
Okay then................... we didn't need any more pokemon except for pikachu so jigglypuff should be a Assist Trophy and so should Roy, Peach, Mewtwo, Bowser, Ridley, and luigi.

Nah im just kidding i want toad in as a playable character though he might be a Assist trophy :mad: i don't want half the characters to be assist trophys and more characters playable cause i really don't care about how many characters from one series. (event if they're clones)

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
I think that, if Wario is worth adding, then Toad is worth adding. I mean, we've added a Mario villain, why not add an ally?

People (read: me) have been clamoring for Toad ever since Smash 64 came out, and I think that the risk of overloading this Nintendo game with Nintendo flagship characters (?) is outweighed by the benefit of making one of the most famous and widely loved characters in Nintendo history playable.

thebasman

Smash Apprentice
I've seen at least two movesets posted in this thread, although I'm too lazy to go back and find them.

In the past few Mario Party games, Toad has been playable, and they moved Toadsworth into the role that Toad had in the earlier Mario Party games. That may be indicative of a trend to finally make Toad more of a playable character and less of a support character.

I never really saw Peach as more than a support character either, but they but her in Melee and I think it was a great decision. I think that Toad, like Peach, is cool and famous enough (at least to fans of Nintendo games) to warrant a little stretch in terms of his actual fighting ability. They could just do what they did with Peach and go back to Mario 2 to get inspiration for his attacks.

L_Cancel

Smash Champion
Dude. Theres already enough Mario characters!
I wouldn't mind saying good-bye to Docter Mario (it's not that I don't like doc) and have him replaced by Toad. This way, no more Mario character slots would be added. Everybody wins (except the doc fans). Toad for brawl!!

Gindor

Smash Ace
Dude. Theres already enough Mario characters!
Plus, Toad defenetly doesnt seem like the fighting type. He seems more like the helper type.
(Mario Party series)

What moveset is he supposed to have?
Actually wondering, do you hate the mario characters in ssb? (not joking)
He never really had any deep fighting roles, but he had guts and loyalty, he just was a little afraid. Brawl could be his best playability yet!

There are two options you can take depending on how much you think toad should be an AT.
If you are a toad hater a good idea would be to make a "Why toad shouldn't be in brawl" thread.
If you aren't, You can go back and read about his style and potentially change your mind and become a toad fan.
My idea (not actually a moveset) is to have attacks like mario's (the A ones), except they would have less power and range, and in exchange he would have barely any openings in his attacks, stun the foe more, and have a few invincability frames. This would annoy the enemy to the point of attacking him and then he could whip out one of his B moves to counter attack and finish them. I call it the annoy/counter attack strategy, not a strait foreward strategy, but a new one. YAY! mind games!
His FS could spray spores all over the field and reverse the other characters button commands and movements, which would let him turn into and offensive fighter in that time.
That FS could also be his AT form, minus the attacks.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
See, I love Dr. Mario. Not saying I want him in Brawl. Although SSBB's whole thing is bringing nearly every single Nintendo character in the series... have some variety. With so many characters may come lack of anything truly special. Anyone played Chrono Cross lately?

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
I think Toad deserves to be in Brawl. He's been there since the start, had his own game and was playable in SMB2 and various Mario spin-offs.

Saying Toad won't make it into Brawl is like saying Dr. Mario will make it in Brawl as a separate character.

Top Bottom