• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

y3nia659

Smash Ace
Peach is getting in as a Mario character....Yoshi, Wario & DK built their own franchise therefore they shouldn't count as Mario characters....same with Luigi & Toadm they get in as Mario characters....Toad is not a major character and there are many mario characters that have not been payed for what they are owed....Toad will most likely continue his career both canonly and in spin offs, there is no need for him in Brawl...Characters like Daisy need to make a comeback canonly, and characters like Pauline haven't been payed what they are owed...Wanda needs a comeback, there's many more Mario characters out there that have done the same as Toad or more but represent different sections of Mario that Luigi, Peach and Bowser don't cover...These characters are of better use than Toad, Toad is another character that is a sidekick and represents the same thing as Luigi, Peach and Bowser...

For me, Toad should just stay in Peach's moveset, use his slot to more deserving characters that are on the edge of loosing their identity forever.

unest_guy

Smash Apprentice
For my Opinion Toad Can Be A Helping Hand Item Who Picks Him Helps Him For
10 Seconds or More.

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
Peach is getting in as a Mario character....Yoshi, Wario & DK built their own franchise therefore they shouldn't count as Mario characters....same with Luigi & Toadm they get in as Mario characters....Toad is not a major character and there are many mario characters that have not been payed for what they are owed....Toad will most likely continue his career both canonly and in spin offs, there is no need for him in Brawl...Characters like Daisy need to make a comeback canonly, and characters like Pauline haven't been payed what they are owed...Wanda needs a comeback, there's many more Mario characters out there that have done the same as Toad or more but represent different sections of Mario that Luigi, Peach and Bowser don't cover...These characters are of better use than Toad, Toad is another character that is a sidekick and represents the same thing as Luigi, Peach and Bowser...

For me, Toad should just stay in Peach's moveset, use his slot to more deserving characters that are on the edge of loosing their identity forever.

a) Way too many ellipses there buddy. Ellipses are used when you're taking context out, not as a replacement of periods.
b) So what if Toad gets in as a Mario character, I don't see what you're trying to get at here.
c) Toad IS a major character, and is part of the Big 8. Something Daisy, Waluigi, and Pauline are not part of. Yes, he's played a much smaller role lately, but this is why he should get in Brawl to prove once again how awesome he is.
d) Daisy does not need to make a comeback. Toad needs a comeback, he hasn't been featured in so long. He's been in way more Mario games than Daisy and Pauline and deserves some recognition.
e) No, Toad does not represent that same thing as Luigi, Peach and Bowser. They're all unique characters, and they all have unique things to bring. Whereas Daisy is Peach with a different hairdo, and a different dress. Yes, she's supposed to be more "tomboyish" but she still has yet to do anything really unique. Every move she has in sports games and whatnot is the exact same as Peach's except with flowers.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
If we're going to talk about who "represents" what, Link alone does not "represent" the Gorons and the Zoras. Samus does not "represent" the Metroids, Kraid and Ridley. Ness does not "represent" Paula, Poo, Jeff, the Starmen and the Hippies. It's an argument that can work both ways. In this case, I think that Toad makes a better "representative" of the Mario series than Daisy, as he has been in more games and is generally a more prevalent and recognizable character.

And Smash isn't just about making comebacks. I think that many members of the boards take Sakurai's love of lesser-knowns a bit too far. "Lesser-known" does not apply to characters that have slipped away into obscurity. Wanda and Pauline, in my opinion, would make fine trophies but very poor character choices. Even Wart, as much as I would enjoy seeing him, would probably be better off relegated to the trophy case.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what kind of attacks Toad will have, since he wasn't much of a fighting character. Maybe he can throw poison mushrooms?

Kereokacola

Disco Romance
BRoomer
I am all for Toad, like I've said long before. I can almost guarantee you that if any new Mario character shows up for Brawl, he will be it. You know why?

Let's see, popular demand? Sakurai posted a character poll for a reason, and Toad was near the top of the list (if not at the top of the list.) Fans want Toad, and there is no doubt in my mind that their pleas will be answered.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I don't know what kind of attacks Toad will have, since he wasn't much of a fighting character. Maybe he can throw poison mushrooms?
Check a few pages back for a very thorough movelist for ideas. Makes it easier for the rest of us.

And thank you, Kero, for making sense. :grin:

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
Yay for Toad.

I've been trying to think of a good Final Smash for Toad lately, because I don't really like any of the ones that have been already created for him. His Final Smash has to be really good...

Mario Ninja

Smash Rookie
In my opinion Toad would probobly be another small and anoying, weak character like Pichu. Come on, think about it, what would his final smash be? "Mario Help Me!!!" or something like that.

Fawriel

Smash Master
...not that that really made sense at all or would end up being incorporated into Melee. I mean, look at how tiny he's been in all other games.

He's a guardian, right? I'd like for him to have an actually functional defensive moveset ( read: not like Zelda's ). In fact, THE definitive defensive moveset.
Fast rolls and dodges, good shield, counter-attacks, some invincibility frames, attacks that don't leave him open, good recovery, turnips and maybe another projectile for range...
He should still remain weak and have only a few killers, like Peach.

His logical Final Smash ( err, bacon ) would let him gain extreme weight or invincibility for a certain amount of time as he dons some kinda awesome/magic/imaginary armor.

Mario Ninja

Smash Rookie
That may be so, but in most of the other games he is a non-playable character who has to be rescued or he just tells Mario where to go.

Gindor

Smash Ace
Not talking much now, just PM if anything importan
...not that that really made sense at all or would end up being incorporated into Melee. I mean, look at how tiny he's been in all other games.

He's a guardian, right? I'd like for him to have an actually functional defensive moveset ( read: not like Zelda's ). In fact, THE definitive defensive moveset.
Fast rolls and dodges, good shield, counter-attacks, some invincibility frames, attacks that don't leave him open, good recovery, turnips and maybe another projectile for range...
He should still remain weak and have only a few killers, like Peach.

His logical Final Smash ( err, bacon ) would let him gain extreme weight or invincibility for a certain amount of time as he dons some kinda awesome/magic/imaginary armor.
That is a great idea. I think his smash would also including his power stats boosting greatly, to counteract his weak offense. He sounds like a white mage. I'm not saying one should be in brawl, nor am I insulting toad. I mean peach is a defensive character and she has gotten popular, right?

Iggy K

Smash Ace
That may be so, but in most of the other games he is a non-playable character who has to be rescued or he just tells Mario where to go.
Becuase clearly there is no way a character like that can get into Smash Bros.

*Looks at Zelda and Peach*

Well so much for that.

Smash_Nerd

Smash Rookie
I am all for Toad, like I've said long before. I can almost guarantee you that if any new Mario character shows up for Brawl, he will be it. You know why?

Let's see, popular demand? Sakurai posted a character poll for a reason, and Toad was near the top of the list (if not at the top of the list.) Fans want Toad, and there is no doubt in my mind that their pleas will be answered.
very good arguement... i do hope they have toad in their he would make a good character...id probably play as him too, i dont really see a moveset but im sure they've got a nice one picked out. i just hope they dont make him another version of the ice climbers by making him toad/toadette ... that would make a cool character but... regular toad sounds better... right?

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I'm all for Taod, and the moveset is excellent excpt for one thing...

Pulling mushrooms. They just see to be over powered.

Mushrooms include:
Super - Heal 25% Damage (25% chance (red and white))
Poison - Take 25% Damage (25% chance (slightly darker than super))
Metal - Turns Character Metal (18% chance (metallic colored))
Sluggish - Speed Cut In Half (15% chance (light blue and neon green))
Cursed - Hinders Controls (12% chance (purple and dark green))
Golden – Attack, Speed, and Defense x2 (5% chance (golden <_<))

The super mushtoom is fine, as the poison but the Golden Mushroom is broken, and we don't want hax in a metagame. Cursed is a little unfair, even if you can only pull them once it's still just too unfair. She should just pull turnips but not the exact same as Peach's, maybe he could have some different faces that do different amounts of damage, just not the mushrooms! They are just to powerful. If Peach got to pull 2 stichfaces/bombs every stock then it would just be unfair. And how would it work in time? Two every two mins? Seriously think about how unfair that is.

Gindor

Smash Ace
I just got an idea for toads final smash, he can pull a gigantic shroom or whatever it's called from the ground and eat it, he would turn into super toad (in other words giant toad, and definitely bigger than bowser). Toad can walk/run around the field immune to damage and heavily damages anyone he touches.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Is anyone else worried that Toad will now be relegated to Assist Trophy status? =/

Onifrio

Smash Journeyman
Ya, hes probably going to be an assist trophy. That makes me a sad panda.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
You and me both, Oni. =/ I'm still crossing my fingers, because Toad has a few things going for him that Hammer Bro and Samurai Goroh do not:

1) Seniority. I'll be ****ed if this doesn't count for something to Sakurai. Toad has been around since Day One as an NPC and he quickly made his playable debut in SMB2. Not only did his career begin alongside Mario's own, but his is still going strong, his latest appearance being a playable character in Mario Party 8.

2) Notoriety. This is a nice addition to Seniority. If you ask a random person that has at least a minimal knowledge of games (not-so-random, I know, but bear with me), "Little Mac" and "Mike Jones" might not ring any bells. But "Toad" is almost certain to conjure the image of an adorable little mushroom guy running frantically around the Mushroom Kingdom. People know Toad. And although Sakurai has some sort of lesser-known character fetish, I do believe that Toad's notoriety--ESPECIALLY as the only character of the Marioverse's "Big 8" that is not currently playable in Smash--sharply increases his chances of being a playable character.

3) Viability. Hammer Bro is kind of a one-trick pony: he throws hammers. ...Yeah. Goroh does have some potential in this category, as he could just as easily have received a CF-style moveset--or at least have had one created out of thin air. Toad falls into the nice middle ground between these two extremes. Hammer Bro has VERY limited potential, and Goroh could (feasibly) have anything he wants, after seeing what they did to CF. Toad has years of Mario history to work with, including but not limited to: turnips (duh), stars, his hammer, his "bazooka" (lol), his kart, mushrooms, poison shrooms, golden shrooms, dice blocks, bombs, etc. Despite what naysayers may contrive, Toad DOES have moveset possibilities.

JesterBox

Smash Ace
I think Toad is going to stay inside Peach's... errr.... uummmm.. Well, inside... Peach...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I don't think that Toad as Peach's B is a viable option any longer. With the advent of Super Princess Peach, I think Nintendo would be amiss if they do not revamp Peach's moveset to reflect her first starring role. My guess is that Parry will act as both her B and UpB, maybe even SideB if they remove her Peach Bomber. I would also expect her Super Smash to involve her emotional extremes, possibly including Parry in the process.

Gindor

Smash Ace
I think toad's gonna make it in, instead of becoming a trophy. Fisrt off, it looked like he would be a trophy, but when I thought about what he would do, all I could imagine him running back and forth screaming "help me" while he takes the role of a mr. satern. That would be fun, baseball, but wait, we forgot the ball, so we used toad instead. J/K
In that state he already would be immune to damage and wouldn't need to defend himself.
It would just make more sense to have him as a playable character.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Too bad, he'll more likely be an Assist Trophy T_T

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
rm88 gets a big fat =P

I'm going to keep on with my wishful thinking, thank you very much. I wonder if this week will be dedicated to Assist Trophy revelations...? He could knock off 5 characters in one fell swoop.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
I WANT to believe that Toad will make it in as a playable, I REALLY do, honestly. But the smarter half of me is telling me that he'll either be an AT or nothing at all....

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I share your fear. All that we Toad fans can do now is circle together, join hands and perform a tribal ritual to summon the Smash gods and ask them to include Toad in Brawl.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Smash Gods aka Sakurai

Tribal Ritual aka sending frantic emails to Nintendo, begging them to not degrade Toad to an AT.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Looks like Toad and Bowser Jr have decent chances of becoming AT's now, though I'd much rather Toad be playable.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I could totally see Toad as an AT, but I'm dreading the mere thought. I think that, of the two, Toad has the better chance of being a PC, though. Let's just cross our fingers, shall we? Toad's been around long enough to really deserve this spot on the playable roster.

digifreak642

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.
Peach's chances of getting rid of Toad move: increased.

I think we should just hope that Toad is playable and not worry about his chances of being an AT. Meanwhile we can enjoy pictures of Bowser. :p

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Peach's chances of getting rid of Toad move: increased.

I think we should just hope that Toad is playable and not worry about his chances of being an AT. Meanwhile we can enjoy pictures of Bowser. :p
My thoughts exactly! Sakurai's allusion to new playstyles, updates and rehauls for many of the characters got me quite excited. I'd really like the Peach update to come tomorrow for some confirmation (hopefully), but no one could possibly guess what he'll post anyhow. I'm just glad that SPP brought Parry for Peach's abuse this time around. :chuckle:

Gahh, and seeing those pictures of Bowser make me even more hopeful that we'll be able to use Toad to beat up the Koopa King! Just cross your fingers everyone and hold on tight. Who knows what tomorrow might bring?

Star105

Smash Journeyman
I want toad in the game he would be a cool character to fight with

Though i would personally use Koopa if hes in but toad would be a awsome addition to the roster :)(im being pessimistic though so i hope but really don't expect him to be in the game:confused::confused: :mad::urg:)

goodkid

Smash Lord
You can figure out what tomorrow will bring! Sakurai will most likely post another item or a stage tomorrow, and something interesting Friday. He usually post the most interesting at the beginning and end of the week.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
You can figure out what tomorrow will bring! Sakurai will most likely post another item or a stage tomorrow, and something interesting Friday. He usually post the most interesting at the beginning and end of the week.
Hm, interesting observation!

List of Monday / Friday posts (in order):
- Pit
- Pit: Special Moves
- Delfino Plaza
- Yoshi's Story: Ending
- Four Kinds of Control
- Fox
- Samus
- Link: Final Smash
- Lylat Cruise
- Zelda
- Wario: Special Moves
- What Are Assist Trophies? / Samurai Goro

They haven't been consistently the most interesting, but the character updates have generally been satisfactory on these days.

As far as what to expect Wednesday - Friday: another stage / song possibly, another AT for sure, maybe another character or item. Toad will be a secret character if he makes it, so our best bet is to hope for Peach and / or her special moves to add fuel to our fire. Cross your fingers for Peach / Special Moves this week!

And there's no need to be pessimistic; Toad will never get into Brawl with that kind of attitude. ;)

Top Bottom