• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I just realized something about Peachette. The power-up to do it either means 1 or 2 things

Either 1. Every single Mario species now has the capability of becoming some sort of Peach-shaped fusion as we see with Peachette and now the very popular in fan-art (Including very.... naughty images) Bowsette

or 2. Peach was a Toad all along in a huge Mario lore change even if Baby Peach and small Peach should contradict this

Either way, it's crazy. xD
nah your just reading to much into it

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad's actually pretty popular in general in Japan from what I've heard. If I recall right he once was voted the 8th most popular video game character over there just behind Mario and Yoshi from the Mario series and beating out fan favourites like Sonic quite handily.

His hate base is nearly entirely western based from what I've seen and nearly entirely due to 'his voice'.

Miyamoto wasn't the biggest fan of Toad at one point(although Paper Mario's latest adventures may indicate otherwise) as he said he was his least favourite to play as in Mario Kart and seemed taken aback by Toad's popularity. Not sure why he didn't know about it, but here we are.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Toad's actually pretty popular in general in Japan from what I've heard. If I recall right he once was voted the 8th most popular video game character over there just behind Mario and Yoshi from the Mario series and beating out fan favourites like Sonic quite handily.

His hate base is nearly entirely western based from what I've seen and nearly entirely due to 'his voice'.

Miyamoto wasn't the biggest fan of Toad at one point(although Paper Mario's latest adventures may indicate otherwise) as he said he was his least favourite to play as in Mario Kart and seemed taken aback by Toad's popularity. Not sure why he didn't know about it, but here we are.
I think the perception of the creators like Miyamoto and Sakurai is "isn't this guy just one of many similar-looking creatures?" rather than outright malice, even though Toad is the kind of character that can appeal easily to people, even when there's little to no distinguishable characteristics among other members of his species. I mean, just look at the Smurfs, the Minions, and even the Rabbids, who are all popular similar types of fictional beings for similar reasons.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What’s upsetting me is the double standards toward Toad compared to other characters like Yoshi and Pikachu.

Yoshi species and Pikachu species and others get to be in Smash but Toad species cannot and detractors say we absolutely have to have a specific Toad like Captain Toad.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
What’s upsetting me is the double standards toward Toad compared to other characters like Yoshi and Pikachu.

Yoshi species and Pikachu species and others get to be in Smash but Toad species cannot and detractors say we absolutely have to have a specific Toad like Captain Toad.
Seems like poor Toad has always been the whipping boy of Nintendo. He can very well get his own titular game in addition to the multitude of roles his species has played from being iconic supporting characters to even being playable in the platformers; yet, he is still discarded quickly for being "generic" or "uninteresting".

I don't know about others; however, Toad is my absolute favourite Nintendo character and species! I don't care that he is simplistic or lacking in the heroic personality - in fact, his simplicity and adorable behaviour are some of the traits I love the most out of him. I love Toad much more than a large portion of the Smash cast, and it's a shame that I still can't find someone to fill that mushroomy void for Smash as of yet. It's a shame that the generic arguments have left such a sour taste - seeing the Toads as a whole rise up in roles over the years has made me personally very happy!

Yes...there are some exceptions such as the recent Paper Mario titles in which I can agree that the Toads were handled...quite poorly. However, to see them playing capable roles once more is music to my ears. Also very happy for Toadette rising up to stardom! Perhaps...Sakurai might finally notice an overgrowth of fungi popularity as of late.

Really do wish that Toad himself was given some more characterization; however, I feel that Toad will likely remain as the "every man" type of character where he represents his species and their roles overall as a singular character. This is the only downside to the rise in Toads as a species...poor old Toad himself has become one of many once again. I still fondly remember the "mushroom of might" from SMB2, but as long as we get more Toad coverage in the future, I'll be quite satisfied. :p Seeing that cutscene of Toad playing Switch with Mario and co in the recent Nintendo Online ad was a true delight! He looks so happy!

Also...I really do hope the Captain continues to play more roles in the future. He stands out quite well and would love to see more of his journeys in the future. :p In a way, he reminds me of how Toad was like in the old Mario cartoons/games where he was quite capable himself and was always willing to aid Mario regardless.

This is one of the issues with Ala-Gold and Bucken-Berry...their generic appearances leave it almost impossible to tell if they are the same Toads or not in later games aside from their roles in the NSMB games. Really hope we get an option to swap Yellow Toad's colours to Blue (or Red + blue vest) in the final build of NSMB Deluxe. The only reason I can think of Yellow Toad being the sole remaining playable Toad in this game might be due to how Toad was coloured blue like Blue Toad in SM3DW...perhaps this is his compensation? Regardless, it's silly that Toad himself wasn't the other option alongside Toadette at this point of time. Without Blue Toad...Yellow Toad seems even more random than in the past (filthy Blue Toad main here).

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Woah I’m not on this support list? That’s absurd. Please add me. I’ve needed Toad in Smash for a while now. He’s always been one of my go to Mario characters in the spinoff games, and in my opinion is one of the few icons really missing from Smash. Actually, I’d say he’s the biggest icon missing. Confidently, in fact. With Captain Toad being a thing, and him expanding to even more of an individual icon, rather than just a Mario character, I was really confident he would be up there with Inklings and Ridley in priority for this game. Alas, we might have to wait a bit longer, but I’m planning on supporting him as much as I can for DLC. He really deserves it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
to be fair youve just turned up in this thread im not psychic contrary to popular belief

youre added now
Train your mind. Trust the fungus fogbadge.

Woah I’m not on this support list? That’s absurd. Please add me. I’ve needed Toad in Smash for a while now. He’s always been one of my go to Mario characters in the spinoff games, and in my opinion is one of the few icons really missing from Smash. Actually, I’d say he’s the biggest icon missing. Confidently, in fact. With Captain Toad being a thing, and him expanding to even more of an individual icon, rather than just a Mario character, I was really confident he would be up there with Inklings and Ridley in priority for this game. Alas, we might have to wait a bit longer, but I’m planning on supporting him as much as I can for DLC. He really deserves it.
Couldn't have said it better myself, this really did feel like a prime time for Toad. Alas. Welcome aboard, feel free to chat about all things mushroomy here!

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I really wonder what Toad's standing in Smash would be if Peach's counter didn't exist.

There's no way to tell whether or not his status as a move is deemed such a massive hurdle behind the scenes, but if nothing else I feel like he would have Ridley (and now Isaac) levels of support, if he wasn't already a move, leading to the (sadly increasingly believable) idea that it might be all he will ever get.

Smash has a history of characters who seem the most likely getting especially large support. This has become more noticable then ever with Ultimate, where details regarding Ultimate's early development start caused Spring Man to get outright abandoned by most and (sadly) Rex & Pyra to take a nasty cut in terms of support, while characters who are now deemed more likely such as Skull Kid or Elma are rising.

I'm not accusing anyone of bandwagoning for the record, I'm just saying that people like to put their eggs into the most promising basket, which is understandable, but I do feel like that unfortunately ends up leaving characters like Toad unfairly in the dust, unless they have a exceptionally loud fanbase, like Ridley, K Rool and Isaac.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Last week, I finally bought a Nintendo Switch. This marks the first actual home console I have purchased since 2006 (which was a Nintendo Wii at launch). I have three games to go along with my Switch so far, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Mania Plus, and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. I plan to pick up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in the near future as well, and Ultimate at launch.

Going back to Captain Toad, this is a very fun little game, and some of the most fun I have had with a game in a while. Its fun, addictive, and has some interesting gameplay. It is also good for portable gaming sessions as well. Captain Toad is a very underrated title from what I have played so far (only the first six stages). It should definitely be in every Wii U, 3DS, or Switch owner's collection, and it can be found for only $40 or less. It puzzles me even more how Toad can be the star for two games (Wario's Woods and Captain Toad) and has been a playable character for multiple mainline Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, and Super Mario 3D World), yet still not only be overlooked by the developers of Smash Bros., but the Smash Bros. fanbase as a whole.

Captain Toad is a very fun title that shows that you do not need a massive budget to make a very enjoyable game. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone reading this topic. In general, I greatly enjoy the hybrid nature of the Switch, especially considering I find myself playing mostly handheld titles nowadays.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Last week, I finally bought a Nintendo Switch. This marks the first actual home console I have purchased since 2006 (which was a Nintendo Wii at launch). I have three games to go along with my Switch so far, Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Mania Plus, and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. I plan to pick up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in the near future as well, and Ultimate at launch.

Going back to Captain Toad, this is a very fun little game, and some of the most fun I have had with a game in a while. Its fun, addictive, and has some interesting gameplay. It is also good for portable gaming sessions as well. Captain Toad is a very underrated title from what I have played so far (only the first six stages). It should definitely be in every Wii U, 3DS, or Switch owner's collection, and it can be found for only $40 or less. It puzzles me even more how Toad can be the star for two games (Wario's Woods and Captain Toad) and has been a playable character for multiple mainline Super Mario titles (Super Mario Bros. 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. U, New Super Luigi U, and Super Mario 3D World), yet still not only be overlooked by the developers of Smash Bros., but the Smash Bros. fanbase as a whole.

Captain Toad is a very fun title that shows that you do not need a massive budget to make a very enjoyable game. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone reading this topic. In general, I greatly enjoy the hybrid nature of the Switch, especially considering I find myself playing mostly handheld titles nowadays.
i think most be people reading this topic have played it, good that you enjoyed it

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Spitballing here, how would any of you react if Sakurai’s reasoning for not making Toad playable was:

“Not wanting to alienate Peach mains.”

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Spitballing here, how would any of you react if Sakurai’s reasoning for not making Toad playable was:

Literally any reasoning Sakurai gives to not making Toad playable would be met with the same level of anger and annoyance from me.
From: "I didn't consider him," and "I didn't want to confuse Peach mains." Ranging all the way to "Toad murdered my family and spit on their graves." And "I had a traumatic childhood experience and Toad was involved in it."

Like they would all equally annoy me. Any reason at all would be met with the exact same response and emotions as any other reason.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

if that was his logic it would bring up the question why he didnt think that when hes changed other characters specials

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

"Why not just change Toad to Toadsworth, keep the same move for her and include the Superstar Toad as a playable over Dr. Mario"

Also including the opening to Super Mario Party. Look at the boy taking charge! Weirdly like the team up between Toad, Toadette and Kamek.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

Just freaking use Perry, or Toadsworth, or just a differently colored Toad. Nobody's going to lament the move being reskinned. Hell, I feel like people are so afraid of confusing their customers that they don't give their customers any sort of due credit. We're playing a game where Mario can fight Mario, and most people understand at this point that there are multiple toads, multiple yoshis, multiple pikachus, it would not hurt anything to have a playable Toad while keeping Peach's moveset the same.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to see that someone is still making fake leaks of our purest boy:
View attachment 168628
I wish this was the reality. :( Considering how frequently Toad is playable in not only spinoffs and platformers - it does feel very odd to not even have 1 Toad in the roster after all these years. At this rate, I'd even rather see him as some Isabelle-esque character with Peach's turnips being his down B.

Also interesting to note that Nintendo's Online service for the Switch also includes Wario's Woods as a title too later down the line, so it's not like it has completely lost relevancy either due to its multiple releases over the years. I still do wonder where the SNES version of WW is after all these years?

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Also interesting to note that Nintendo's Online service for the Switch also includes Wario's Woods as a title too later down the line, so it's not like it has completely lost relevancy either due to its multiple releases over the years. I still do wonder where the SNES version of WW is after all these years?
I can only make an educated guess, but I feel like the SNES version suffers from the fact that it never got a proper release in Japan, so they just use the NES version for everything.

Speaking of Wario's Woods, I have to say that every since 2013 Nintendo has been rather kind to it, when you look back at it:

-Brain Age: Concentration Training has a Wario's Woods minigame, complete with a remix of the NES Board Clear theme.

-It's one of the games featured in NES Remix 2.

-It's one of the games to have a unlockable demo in amiibo Tap.

-It is one of the cardridge badges in Nintendo Badge Arcade.

-NoA's official Twitter refered to Wario's Woods for their trivia bit on Wario's character card.

Nothing that will set the world on fire, but it's nice that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about it.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I just wish Nintendo would do something with it. A new game with online play would be nice. I think we've had enough Dr. Mario iterations for a little while.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just wish Nintendo would do something with it. A new game with online play would be nice. I think we've had enough Dr. Mario iterations for a little while.
Same here. Wario's Woods is my favorite puzzle game of all time. Its a shame that the only reason anyone even knows anything about it is for the fact its the final game Nintendo released for the NES/Famicom. I remember hoping that it would end up a WiiWare game, but that never ended up happening (I think there was even a pretty good fake leak involving a Wario's Woods WiiWare title).

I really wish Wario's Woods would have another game in its series (I have both the SNES and NES versions to the game and really enjoyed both of them). I am not optimistic on it happening, since at this point a new installment would have to be a HD release even if digital only. I wonder if Toadette would be the protagonist of a new game since they seem to be promoting her more and more lately? Regardless, I just would like to see Wario's Woods get a new installment. It definitely deserves far more appreciate and praise than what it currently receives. It is among Nintendo's most underrated retro titles. Both the NES and SNES are worth playing and offer different things not found in the other version.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Ya know, as a Bandana Dee supporter, I just wanna say that I understand how it feels when people make the arguments commonly used against the captain and Bandana Dee.. I don't think he's necessarily out of the running, we all know the Toon Link scenario, but maybe not as likely. Regardless, seeing either Bandana Dee or Captain Toad as a fighter improves the chance of the other.

If you wouldn't mind, I think found a way to incorporate Captain Toad into Smash without having him jump. I'd like to post it below if you all would allow me.

Now, I believe I've seen some Wario's Woods representation in the movesets proposed before, but I think I take it a step further. First, let’s get the easy stuff out of the way.

• Standard Special: Green Star – Captain Toad holds a green star above his had that rapidly spins around for a few seconds, damaging all who touch it, and pulling in those close to Captain Toad.
  • Side Special: Pickaxe Rush – Captain Toad moves forward blindly swinging his pickaxe for all that get in his way.
  • Down Special: Captain Turnip – Captain Toad pulls a turnip from the ground like Peach/Daisy. The difference here is, Captain Toad throws the turnip so hard, it doesn’t lose height when thrown. Essentially, it keeps going until it either leaves the stage, or times out.
Now for the fun stuff, my way of getting Captain Toad some vertical distance without jumping, let me introduce you to, his “jumps.”

• Monster Climb: With a press of the X Button on the GCN controller, or a flick of the control stick upward, Captain Toad climbs a stack of 3 vaguely familiar monsters which appear right in front of him. Anyone other than Captain Toad who touches them will take damage.
  • Up Special: Bomb Climb – Similar to Monster Climb, this time Captain Toad climbs a stack of three bombs, and once he reaches the top, he gives a short hop off the side of it, and the tower tumbles to the ground, where the bombs shortly explode thereafter.
What’s that? Captain Toad would be overpowered with a damaging “jump?” While it’s true that a damaging jump is useful, especially if it blocks would be attackers who attack the captain from the front, Captain Toad also loses valuable tools with this approach, such as the foot stool technique and a reliable horizontal recovery.

Now, you’re probably thinking he loses his aerials too, right? Nope, not at all. While in Monster Climb, Captain Toad can pick up these monsters and chuck them at opponents whenever the aerial inputs are performed. Up and side aerials has him throw them to the respective directions, while down aerial has him stomp down from the stack. Of course, throwing these monsters means his “jump” will be quite diminished in the vertical department, so it’s up to you to determine when and when not to attack.

Feel free to let me know what you think. :)

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Also including the opening to Super Mario Party. Look at the boy taking charge! Weirdly like the team up between Toad, Toadette and Kamek.
So... the theme in Super Mario Party is Mario & Friends vs Bowser & Minions with Toad, Toadette, and Kamek as the judges.

And the plot reminds me of Mario Party 2.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So... the theme in Super Mario Party is Mario & Friends vs Bowser & Minions with Toad, Toadette, and Kamek as the judges.

And the plot reminds me of Mario Party 2.
Gah.
The game makes me so mad!

It looks like SO MUCH FUN! Imagine how perfect it would be if Toad were playable! Gaaah!!

I am holding on to hope that there will be DLC that makes the hosts playable too. So we would get Toad, Toadette, and Kamek.
I also miss Birdo. Poor girl got forgotten.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I'd hope for regular Toad with a Captain Toad alt costume. If we all we got was pure Captain Toad, I'd feel a tab bit upset, since I've been expecting Toad for a while now.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well it seems the website isnt restricted to one remix a franchise after all, im going back to hoping for the captain toad theme

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's been a rough month for Toads between Stormy Daniels' Trump genitals insult, Bowser stealing Toadette's thunder by becoming a much lewded meme and now this 18+ rating.

I wonder if the former two have caused the latter?

At this rate Toad is a more 'mature' character than Bayonetta. Madness.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It's been a rough month for Toads between Stormy Daniels' Trump genitals insult, Bowser stealing Toadette's thunder by becoming a much lewded meme and now this 18+ rating.

I wonder if the former two have caused the latter?
i would think yes its a sad state of affairs

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Any My Hero Academia fans amongst us? Last week's manga chapter reminded me of a certain dynamic.

101.png

Black Hawk capturing a mushroom girl...

...but then...

11.png

Mushroom person eventually comes out on top!

On that note, how would you feel if Toad ever gets in and he uses Sakurai's invention of the mushroom spore ability? Do you think spores are good for Toad that seperate him from everyone else or feel it's poor representation of the Mario series?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Any My Hero Academia fans amongst us? Last week's manga chapter reminded me of a certain dynamic.

View attachment 169841

Black Hawk capturing a mushroom girl...

...but then...

View attachment 169842

Mushroom person eventually comes out on top!

On that note, how would you feel if Toad ever gets in and he uses Sakurai's invention of the mushroom spore ability? Do you think spores are good for Toad that seperate him from everyone else or feel it's poor representation of the Mario series?
didnt he later uses spore in one of the tennis games? and to be fair smash has rarely been about proper representation

personally id prefer it if he used stuff from treasure tracker and power ups the others dont use

Top Bottom