• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't think I've ever seen a character support thread so utterly convinced both Sakurai and Nintendo hates their character with a burning passion (except post-Pyrosphere Ridley fans maybe). I'm not trying to demean the supporters or anything, but hot damn.
Right? I just jumped into this thread because I played Captain Toad on 3DS and think he'd make a great DLC character but this thread is absolutely wild in how down in the dumps it is. You make the Lip thread post-Isabelle reveal seem like Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

Aaaanyway, that doesn't stop me from supporting Captain Toad. I love the idea of a platform-creation mechanic and coupled with the vegetable throw I think you have a solid and iconic character that completes the Mario 2 gang and I love that! Come DLC season he will be on my list.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'd be quite willing to explain the cynicism we're currently facing regarding Sakurai and Toad when I'm back from work without getting too heated if you're genuinely interested?

But hey, I'm glad you guys are enjoying Treasure Tracker. It's a great little puzzle game right?
Hoping Nintendo makes it a franchise similar to Luigi's Mansion as I am already hungry for sequel!

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I actually mostly understand the anger and pent-up frustration regarding Toad: He's arguably the fourth most iconic face in Mario (excluding Bowser maybe), moreso than the likes of Waluigi, yet after all these years he still has to make a solid appearance in Super Smash Bros., yet more "undeserving" Mario characters got in beforehand.
What I don't get though is why a good chunk of Toad supporters seem to think Sakurai is out for Toad's blood. Plus, almost every bit of info that even slightly dampens Toad's chances are seen as a malicious attempt by Sakurai to obliterate Toad (granted, a lot of other support threads do this).

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actually mostly understand the anger and pent-up frustration regarding Toad: He's arguably the fourth most iconic face in Mario (excluding Bowser maybe), moreso than the likes of Waluigi, yet after all these years he still has to make a solid appearance in Super Smash Bros., yet more "undeserving" Mario characters got in beforehand.
Well, yes it is partially that(Rosalina, Doc and Daisy are all definitely less important than Toad overall with only Jr being an arguable after the main Mario cast of Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach) but there's a bit more to it than just that.

Obviously Toad's been stuck as a hapless meatshield in the past, and now he's been upgraded to also be a throw. This is kind of cool, at least at first but then you realise Sakurai is intergrating Toad MORE into Peach's moveset so him breaking free of it and being able to go solo is going to be even more difficult as Sakurai has gone on record stating he dislikes alienating the playerbase by changing movesets too much.

This is pretty bad news for us Toad fans in general as it means Toads going to most likely be stuck with Peach for a good while longer. Then it got worse.
Then along came Daisy who ALSO uses (a) Toad. So now we have him pinned to two characters movesets which makes it an even bigger obstacle, one of whom is a more minor character than Toad himself and doesn't even have the connection Peach has to the Toads. Sakurai couldn't have changed the Toad to a Crazee Daisy or a...well anything else more fitting aesthetically?

We've had multiple characters who received a Mii outfit in Sm4sh being upgraded to playable; K. Rool, Isabelle and...Chrom. Chrom who was a move in the last game but went the opposite way to Toad becoming free of Robin and being his own character in this game. Palutena likewise freed herself from Pit's move and is deemed worth upgrading to playable. Yet...Toad who also recieved a Mii outfit's big upgrade from a move...was to being a special move and a set of throws that will likely cement him in that role with Peach for games to come.

So far we've had Toad playable via a special move that Peach, Daisy AND Kirby can all use, a set of throws for the princesses and the Mii Brawler is allowed to dress up as Toad, yet no actual playable Toad.

This alone is pretty annoying but doesn't really make it worse than say Tom Nook, who is now Villager and Isabelle's Final Smash.
After all unlike Nook, we still have Captain Toad, who has just had a pretty dang successful video game released last generation and a successful Switch port of the game. A lot of Sm4sh's Nintendo roster were taken from notable games from the Wii generation after all so we were hopeful...and then he got deconfirmed as a part of the background in a screenshot on the website...he may be the only character to get that treatment as most were at least shown in gameplay in directs so everyone was made aware of his deconfirmation but the Captain got a very backdoor exit from the speculation scene. Some still think it's an easter egg and he's still playable but most people have come to

Personally I've been campaigning for Toad since Melee, but it's hard to get support even started whilst Peach has Toad in her moveset as she tends to get revealed pretty early on. People just gave up, I guess?
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is the most relevant any Toad has ever been but now Sakurai's not drawing newcomers from recent games like he did for the most part in Sm4sh.
Based on that I've laid the ground work to get more people on the Captain's side for future Smash games by producing this:

This is all I can do and it's far from perfect but with 245k views at current and 12k likes to 201 dislikes I think it may at least help. Honestly the moveset needs tweaking still, for example; I'd rather Boos instead of Mudtroopers for the upsmash for example as they'd make the move a lot safer since they can be placed higher and won't break the game if Captain's on his platform when using it, but it's a good start I feel.

I think I may have waffled a bit. Sorry about that, I'm in a bit of a rush!

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Man, I’d hate to this see this thread blow up if Geno gets in as well. (Not exactly big on him either)

Atleast Daisy and Rosalina are prominent and recognizable, but a one-shot sidekick from an RPG spin off game that nobody but hardcore fans are aware of?

That said, I understand the anger and frustration since I have my own wants that somehow still aren’t in.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well, yes it is partially that(Rosalina, Doc and Daisy are all definitely less important than Toad overall with only Jr being an arguable after the main Mario cast of Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Peach) but there's a bit more to it than just that.

Obviously Toad's been stuck as a hapless meatshield in the past, and now he's been upgraded to also be a throw. This is kind of cool, at least at first but then you realise Sakurai is intergrating Toad MORE into Peach's moveset so him breaking free of it and being able to go solo is going to be even more difficult as Sakurai has gone on record stating he dislikes alienating the playerbase by changing movesets too much.

This is pretty bad news for us Toad fans in general as it means Toads going to most likely be stuck with Peach for a good while longer. Then it got worse.
Then along came Daisy who ALSO uses (a) Toad. So now we have him pinned to two characters movesets which makes it an even bigger obstacle, one of whom is a more minor character than Toad himself and doesn't even have the connection Peach has to the Toads. Sakurai couldn't have changed the Toad to a Crazee Daisy or a...well anything else more fitting aesthetically?

We've had multiple characters who received a Mii outfit in Sm4sh being upgraded to playable; K. Rool, Isabelle and...Chrom. Chrom who was a move in the last game but went the opposite way to Toad becoming free of Robin and being his own character in this game. Palutena likewise freed herself from Pit's move and is deemed worth upgrading to playable. Yet...Toad who also recieved a Mii outfit's big upgrade from a move...was to being a special move and a set of throws that will likely cement him in that role with Peach for games to come.

So far we've had Toad playable via a special move that Peach, Daisy AND Kirby can all use, a set of throws for the princesses and the Mii Brawler is allowed to dress up as Toad, yet no actual playable Toad.

This alone is pretty annoying but doesn't really make it worse than say Tom Nook, who is now Villager and Isabelle's Final Smash.
After all unlike Nook, we still have Captain Toad, who has just had a pretty dang successful video game released last generation and a successful Switch port of the game. A lot of Sm4sh's Nintendo roster were taken from notable games from the Wii generation after all so we were hopeful...and then he got deconfirmed as a part of the background in a screenshot on the website...he may be the only character to get that treatment as most were at least shown in gameplay in directs so everyone was made aware of his deconfirmation but the Captain got a very backdoor exit from the speculation scene. Some still think it's an easter egg and he's still playable but most people have come to

Personally I've been campaigning for Toad since Melee, but it's hard to get support even started whilst Peach has Toad in her moveset as she tends to get revealed pretty early on. People just gave up, I guess?
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is the most relevant any Toad has ever been but now Sakurai's not drawing newcomers from recent games like he did for the most part in Sm4sh.
Based on that I've laid the ground work to get more people on the Captain's side for future Smash games by producing this:

This is all I can do and it's far from perfect but with 245k views at current and 12k likes to 201 dislikes I think it may at least help. Honestly the moveset needs tweaking still, for example; I'd rather Boos instead of Mudtroopers for the upsmash for example as they'd make the move a lot safer since they can be placed higher and won't break the game if Captain's on his platform when using it, but it's a good start I feel.

youre a man/woman after my own heart

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think I've ever seen a character support thread so utterly convinced both Sakurai and Nintendo hates their character with a burning passion (except post-Pyrosphere Ridley fans maybe). I'm not trying to demean the supporters or anything, but hot damn.
Well, what else are we supposed to think when we see Nintendo treat Toad like a Nintendo All-Star and yet Smash still does not reflect that fact after 20 years and 5 games?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
question, did those of you in the us ever get that toad theme for the 3ds? we got it in europe when the last reward system on nintendo's website was shutting down

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think Peach's Toad moves should be a deconfirmation.

In Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Servbot is a playable character despite one always walking by Tron Bonne's side and being a part of her moveset.
In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 17 is DLC despite 18 getting help from him in some of her moves.
Pokken has Croagunk as both a playable and a support Pokemon.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I don't think Peach's Toad moves should be a deconfirmation.

In Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Servbot is a playable character despite one always walking by Tron Bonne's side and being a part of her moveset.
In Dragon Ball FighterZ, Android 17 is DLC despite 18 getting help from him in some of her moves.
Pokken has Croagunk as both a playable and a support Pokemon.
Yes, but Smash =/= Marvel vs Capcom and Pokken.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
By the way, everyone knows Wario's Woods and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, but I feel like these two games deserve a mention as well:

https://warelander.tumblr.com/post/179273242870/everyone-knows-warios-woods-and-captain-toad

Satella-Q and Kinopio Live, both games that were released via the Satellaview add-on and star Toad as the main character.

The former is a quiz game with occasional minigames, that was broadcasted from 1995-1999 and the latter is a karaoke game, that unfortunately seems to have little archived info about it.

Either way, being Satellaview games, there's no way for their original forms to ever resurface, since the broadcasted audio is obviously not available anymore, but they are an interesting piece of history and it's quite something that Nintendo back then loved Toad enough to give him three games in the 90s.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'd actually argue that Wario's Woods has already slowly been crawling it's way up to be less obscure, if nothing else people seem more aware of it nowadays. For what it's worth I was quite surprised to see two new pieces of fan art for Sarissa come up on Tumblr, in the last three weeks, but that might have been aided by me not shutting up about the game on my Wario blog.

I feel like whether or not we will ever see a new Wario's Woods or at least a remake entirely depends on whether or not Nintendo wants to do it, because they have certainly been showing a lot of good will towards the game in the past years and Nintendo tends to just go with whatever they feel like doing.

Also I have to say, for being such an overlooked game Wario's Woods has a pretty surprising legacy. Beyond the NES and SNES versions it also has two Satellaview versions, two manga adaptations, a Brain Age minigame and it was also featured in Animal Crossing, NES Remix 2 and amiibo Tap.

That's quite impressive, if I do say so myself.
It is certainly nice that Wario's Woods is is getting a few references here and there, but I am still not optimistic on that game ever getting a new installment. It has simply been way too long (1994), and there are so few big fans of the two games out there. For myself, Wario's Woods is my number one favorite puzzle game of all time.

I remember ten years ago (in 2008) there was a "leak" that Wario's Woods was getting a new game for WiiWare and there were even screenshots for it:

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?qu...ture=0992dfab32482ebbcb575e1a07c93015876b4ee0

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?th...ture=842212c37cf663a4c2b04fb041f1acc7076b45f2

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...j51N7aREz3emzpfrexktqKsz9wiBgpFPqY_0KoFZyycxb

I remember being so disappointed that this game was just an elaborate fake. Since then, barely anything about Wario's Woods.

It really deserves a modern update. It is a fantastic addictive game.

You said everything that needed to be said. Toad stands alongside Dixie Kong and Bandanna Dee as among the few characters that are absolutely critical to their main franchise that is not yet in a playable form. We are now at the point where MULTIPLE incarnations of Toad have an impressive enough resume to become playable.

The original incarnation of Toad (and the various colors) has been a mainstay of Mario spinoffs from the very beginning, a playable character in several Super Mario platformers (2, Wii, U, Luigi U, 3D World), and was even the protagonist to an entire game (Wario's Woods).

Captain Toad has been a major side character in 3D Mario games since Galaxy (so Galaxy, Galaxy 2, 3D World, Odyssey), and like Toad was the protagonist for a game (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker).

Now we have Toadette, the "rising star". She has been a playable character in many of the spinoff titles her debut in Mario Kart Double Dash in 2003, had a major NPC role in TWO Mario RPG titles (Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Mario & Luigi Paper Jam), was a major NPC in Super Mario Odyssey (she gives you the most moons in the game), has been the protagonist for a game (Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker), and is now going to be a playable character in New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.

There are three different flavors of Toad to choose from, yet none of them have been made playable yet in the franchises's 20 year history. Toad (both default and Blue) are part of two playable character's movesets. Captain Toad is a background NPC. Toadette is nowhere to be seen.

Toad may be the hardest shafted character ever in terms of their legacy and not being in Smash Bros. When there are THREE versions to the character that are worthy enough to be made playable, and still not playable, its just very bizarre. The sad thing is that most Smash Bros. fans do not care. Ask them for who the next Mario newcomer should be you will get either the spinoff exclusive Waluigi or the party member from one game 23 years ago, Geno. Those two will likely make it in before any incarnation of Toad will simply because Toad fans are not a major force within the Smash Bros. fanbase.

This Smash Bros. cycle brought a lot of surprises. Ridley finally was upgraded to playable, Castlevania got an enormous amount of content, and the echoes realized a lot of characters that many thought would never happen (Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus). If there is going to be another miracle. It should be that Toad (original, Captain, or Toadette) is finally realized as a playable character.

We are only a 1.5 months away from the game releasing (and probably sooner than that for knowing the entire roster). Toad will likely not be playable in any form on the base game, but we will at least know more about Captain Toad's role in New Donk City and whether Captain Toad in general will have any other content in Ultimate. For DLC, the characters mostly focused veterans, third-party characters, and a promotional character last time. The conventional wisdom is that this time DLC will mostly be third-party characters and a few characters from recent or upcoming Nintendo characters (think Xenoblade 2, ARMS, Fire Emblem Three Houses, and Pokemon Generation 8). There is a lot of competition for DLC. Characters that not third-party or representing a major recent title, will be likely fighting for only 1-3 slots, if there are even any available for characters like that.

We shall see what the future holds. Onward! Keep pressing on Toad fans!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
^ That post above was very well said. Couldn't agree more with it ChronoBound ChronoBound . Though I'd like to add K.Rool as part of the "miracle" list. A character that has been heavily demanded since the Melee days constantly ignored and looked over by Sakurai either by ignorance or circumstance (Rare leaving Nintendo), only for fans to make their voices heard in the ballot after a decade year absence. I'd say finally getting K.Rool (a Nintendo All-Star that should've been added a long time ago just like Toad and Dixie and with no recent appearances) was a miracle.

It's really a shame Toad has been seemingly disconfirmed again. Because if we got Dixie, Toad or Captain Toad (preferably Captain), and Bandana Dee. I would NEVER ask Sakurai for anything again. They could ANY 3rd party schmuck after those 3 got in and I wouldn't care. Ultimate so far with it's roster to me has been damn near perfect. Yeah it sucks Waluigi and Krystal (2 characters I feel should be part of the roster as well) got the assist trophy treatment but at least they made it to the game at all. But Toad stands above both of them in terms of importance/recognizability and shouldn't be relegated to a mere background cameo or a piece of someone's moveset. If Ultimate doesn't get Dixie and Dee at the least I can't be too disappointed as Ultimate is offering a LOT of bang for your buck but I will be a tad salty if we get someone like Crash, Spyro, Geno, or Shantae or something before we finish the classic "Nintendo All-Stars" off.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^ That post above was very well said. Couldn't agree more with it ChronoBound ChronoBound . Though I'd like to add K.Rool as part of the "miracle" list. A character that has been heavily demanded since the Melee days constantly ignored and looked over by Sakurai either by ignorance or circumstance (Rare leaving Nintendo), only for fans to make their voices heard in the ballot after a decade year absence. I'd say finally getting K.Rool (a Nintendo All-Star that should've been added a long time ago just like Toad and Dixie and with no recent appearances) was a miracle.
K. Rool I felt was going to happen due to the ballot (there is a good chance he won it outright). The only other character I was as confident on for next installment of Smash Bros. was Inkling. The only thing I felt keeping K. Rool out was the fact he had not been in a DK title since 2007.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In regards to Daisy, it's only recently that she even got to be in a "big" Mario title for the first time in years since Land (Super Mario Run), so she currently doesn't have much clout to justify differentiating her from Peach, so up with blue Toad she goes. It's a little crazy, given that this happened just because of the result of some divisions at Nintendo being reluctant to use characters created by other people (apart the main character(s) of a game in question, obviously) . A compromise that somehow caused such a chain reaction that would eventually affect Smash content.

Given that, you'd think something like Star Allies would never happen at HAL, seeing as even Sakurai didn't use other Kirby characters apart from his own during his time there.

It's really a shame Toad has been seemingly disconfirmed again. Because if we got Dixie, Toad or Captain Toad (preferably Captain), and Bandana Dee. I would NEVER ask Sakurai for anything again. They could ANY 3rd party schmuck after those 3 got in and I wouldn't care. Ultimate so far with it's roster to me has been damn near perfect. Yeah it sucks Waluigi and Krystal (2 characters I feel should be part of the roster as well) got the assist trophy treatment but at least they made it to the game at all. But Toad stands above both of them in terms of importance/recognizability and shouldn't be relegated to a mere background cameo or a piece of someone's moveset. If Ultimate doesn't get Dixie and Dee at the least I can't be too disappointed as Ultimate is offering a LOT of bang for your buck but I will be a tad salty if we get someone like Crash, Spyro, Geno, or Shantae or something before we finish the classic "Nintendo All-Stars" off.
As far as being a Marioverse supporter goes, it's definitely an uphill battle. Some spin-offs are still stuck with one character (:ultyoshi::ultwario:), another had to play second banana to Fire Emblem for years (:ultdk:), and the remaining one somehow got lucky at all (:ultdoc:). Then there's recent Mario characters getting in due to relevancy alone (:ultrosalina::ultbowserjr:) over veterans that aren't/weren't playable yet. Even Pauline has still been passed over, despite being Mario's first 1-Up girl and having Odyssey as her breakout big Mario title appearance to her name. Under these circumstances, it would take a miracle for Geno to get in.

It'll take a long time to fix that lost goodwill, but in the meantime it's important that the fans get the bigwigs to listen, just as it was done recently. :ultkrool:

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Hey I know I am late, but I 100% support Toad in SSBU! My favorite Mario character is actually Toadette so if whatever variation of Toad gets in smash there better be a Toadette Alt XDD

I feel like characters like Toad, Bandana Dee, and Dixie would be DLC! I would also love to see a Peachette alternate costume for Peach!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Hey I know I am late, but I 100% support Toad in SSBU! My favorite Mario character is actually Toadette so if whatever variation of Toad gets in smash there better be a Toadette Alt XDD

I feel like characters like Toad, Bandana Dee, and Dixie would be DLC! I would also love to see a Peachette alternate costume for Peach!
would you like to be on our supporters list?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD2jraLDpHc

If y'all are feeling a little down about his current Smash chances, at least someone's giving Captain Toad/Toad a little love! King Bob Gaming is making an incredible custom moveset for Toad/Captain Toad in Project M, so just thought I'd drop this here. Maybe it'd be good to give this some more love just to spread the word?

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

If y'all are feeling a little down about his current Smash chances, at least someone's giving Captain Toad/Toad a little love! King Bob Gaming is making an incredible custom moveset for Toad/Captain Toad in Project M, so just thought I'd drop this here. Maybe it'd be good to give this some more love just to spread the word?
Massively impressive. Needs more views!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
you know how so many of us accuse sakurai of being bias towards his stuff in smash? do you think other game makers would do the same? perhaps we need to get miyamoto to direct a smash game

just a thought

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Lyndis VS Captain Toad...

Looks like there's still some reasons to go back on the modded Smashing again. :happysheep:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I wrote this in the Dixie Kong thread, but Toad fans should read it here as well. Toad had a really rough life in the Smash Bros. scene.

Dixie Kong is up there with Toad with the character with the worst luck pertaining to Smash Bros.

Things that Toad got hurt by:

Melee:
1. Did very well on the Japanese exclusive pre-Melee poll (managed to get in the Top 10), but did not do better than other major Mario characters (Bowser. Peach, Wario). He gets incorporated into Peach's moveset as a "compromise".

Brawl:
2. The character became a lot less significant between Melee and Brawl than he was in other epochs. Missed playable roles, became less important in the main series. etc. As a result, he likely was not even re-considered for Brawl (like Wario was).

Smash 4:
3. The 3D Mario sub-series introduces the Galaxy games, which has Rosalina as a critical character. She obviously eclipses Toad in the 3D games.
4. Bowser Jr. had been building up an impressive resume since Sunshine, showed up in the Galaxy games, and got a lot of screentime in the new 2D titles to the series. He easily became the most important character in the series after the four Mario characters that were already in (especially with the Koopalings thrown in). With both Rosalina and Bowser Jr. added in, Toad gets outprioritized again like he did in Melee.

Ultimate:
5. Daisy gets added in as an easy echo.
6. For whatever reason, Waluigi explodes in popularity and requests sometime in 2016 or 2017, being seeing as easily the most popular choice for a Mario newcomer.
7. Geno regains a lot of requests after Sakurai personally endorsed this character.
8. Geno will probably be playable in the game, either on the base or as DLC. Waluigi likely outprioritzed Toad now due to his massive loud fanbase he has gained in recent years.
9. This is all coming on the back that Toad has not only become one of the most important characters in the main franchise again, but there now exists other versions to the character that are important now too.
10. Captain Toad has been a re-occurring side character in the 3D Mario games starting with Super Mario Galaxy, and even had a successful game himself (Captain Toad) that got ported to the Switch and 3DS.
11. Toadette has had a lot of critical roles in recent years. She was a major NPC in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, and even managed to have a notable role in Super Mario Odyssey (she gives you the most moons of any other character in the whole game). She also was the co-star alongside Captain Toad of Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Toadette even ends up a playable character in TWO Mario plaformers: Super Mario Run and New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
12. Despite all of this, Waluigi will likely outpriotize all three version to Toad despite the impressive resume of each of these individual characters.

Being a Toad supporter for Smash Bros. is being a glutton for humiliation and punishment.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LitKQJbKBH0

Looks like for Super Mario Odyssey's first year anniversary, Pauline's concert has an easter egg where the 8-bit sprites of Captain Toad appear alongside Luigi to grant Mario bonus coins. Cute little reference to the Captain!

I like how Captain Toad's sprite literally does a jump animation as he is ground pounded into the air as well.

Being a Toad supporter for Smash Bros. is being a glutton for humiliation and punishment.
It's a tough life indeed. I feel a lot of folks that criticize Toad's lack of fighting prowess base it off how little a role the NPC Toads play in the various Mario RPG games (almost like villagers) along with the kidnapped Mushroom Retainers of SMB.

Toad(s) has played the heroic role more than Peach at this rate, and it's a real shame that he isn't in Smash yet. I fear that Geno may indeed be the next rep...and while his fans have also been a dedicated group for years as well, it just doesn't sit right to have Toad be left out like this. Hopefully DLC might be kind to us...perhaps.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I love this! I wish the official Smash game has Toad as a playable fighter but this will do for now.

Is there one with Meowth?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
well, at least Toadette kind of has a role!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am 100% without a shadow of a doubt that Sakurai absolutely hates Toad.

He would rather put in Piranha Plant in Smash over Toad.

The only good thing about this is that it destroys the "generic species can't be in Smash" argument.

I get the feeling that Sakurai wanted to put Petey Piranha in Smash but he is too big so he decided to put in Piranha Plant instead.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I'm really conflicted on Piranha Plant, I like the moveset they came up with and it is funny in a way, but seeing characters like Toad and Isaac get deconfirmed while a mook get's made playable really bites.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
OK, no one can use that generic argument ever again.

It's dead. Also the plant can jump despite not being able to in canon.

Why the plant tho? Koopa Troopa, Boo and Birdo are more popular...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i think i just saw sakurai wind up the toad, geno and waluigi fans in one fell swoop

did i miss something when piranha plat was made a massively popular gaming icon?

at least he looks more fun than the other two characters

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm really conflicted on Piranha Plant, I like the moveset they came up with and it is funny in a way, but seeing characters like Toad and Isaac get deconfirmed while a mook get's made playable really bites.
It is worse than that.

This long-necked biting move. That was what I had in mind for Ekans (it is part of my Team Rocket Meowth moveset).

1541088303286.png

This spitting poison move. That was what I had in mind for Koffing (it is also part of my Team Rocket Meowth moveset).

1541088640517.png

I feel sick to my stomach.

This Piranha Plant moveset… it reminds me of that old Piranha Plant moveset I sarcastically made as a joke way back in the Nsider forums. I would rather have Tetris Block than this... and I also made a moveset for Tetris Block way back in the Nsider forums.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
This is the most insipid garbage. It isn't even a ****ing echo. I could have thought it was funny if it was an echo.
But no. They spent the dev resources of a full character, the kind of resources that could have made Toad, Waluigi, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Ray, Impa, or so many others, on a ****ing Piranha plant. Any stage would be a more worthwhile use of dev resources.
This is going to ruin my whole day. I have school **** to do today. What were they ****ing thinking.

Top Bottom