• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I sincerely hope that Captain Toad gets his own amiibo if he gets in. I would hate for us to be forced to rely only on the current Toad amiibo (as much as I enjoy it.) I'd also hope that Captain Toadette gets her own.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I sincerely hope that Captain Toad gets his own amiibo if he gets in. I would hate for us to be forced to rely only on the current Toad amiibo (as much as I enjoy it.) I'd also hope that Captain Toadette gets her own.
tfw Nintendo's official twitter account does this instead

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I was just talking to my boyfriend about that. I'm not HUGE on buying Amiibos. Mainly just for characters I really like.
Right now I only own Toad, Yoshi, and Peach.
If I see a cheap Urbosa and a cheap Wedding Bowser I'd buy them too. I don't really want anyone else.

But I REALLY want a Captain Toad amiibo. A Smash Captain Toad amiibo would be ideal. Hehe.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
I would like a Captain Toad amiibo where you can switch his headlamp on and off. I feel like a feature like that would boost sales up massively if they did that to his amiibo.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Would have been super nice if Nintendo at least brought back the limited time Europe/Australia Club Nintendo reward for the release - the Captain Toad lamp figurine that had an actual working headlamp. Really did want this back in the day. D:

Outside of that, that art of Captain Toad in New Donk City looks absolutely gorgeous! It's a shame that the SM3DW levels were removed, but definitely am looking forward to playing this gem of a game once more. ~

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for my Wii U before I broke it. And then, because of how broke and poor we were, I was forced to sell the game. But when I get another Wii U, I'm getting the game again. I support!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I played Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for my Wii U before I broke it. And then, because of how broke and poor we were, I was forced to sell the game. But when I get another Wii U, I'm getting the game again. I support!
you already told us you support youre on our supporters list

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Would have been super nice if Nintendo at least brought back the limited time Europe/Australia Club Nintendo reward for the release - the Captain Toad lamp figurine that had an actual working headlamp. Really did want this back in the day. D:

Outside of that, that art of Captain Toad in New Donk City looks absolutely gorgeous! It's a shame that the SM3DW levels were removed, but definitely am looking forward to playing this gem of a game once more. ~
Man, I actually have that figure. I had to find all the points I could and even got my then partner to chip in with her points. So insanely expensive!

Worth it though, it's my favourite Club Nintendo reward even if I worry how long the battery will last...;;

How's everyone feeling about Captain's chances right now anyway?

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Man, I actually have that figure. I had to find all the points I could and even got my then partner to chip in with her points. So insanely expensive!

Worth it though, it's my favourite Club Nintendo reward even if I worry how long the battery will last...;;

How's everyone feeling about Captain's chances right now anyway?
I don't know?

I still have hope! Just because we haven't seen anything Captain Toad/Toadette related at all. And I feel like being a pretty successful spinoff would mean it would get some sort of nod in Smash Bros.... Right?

Like the idea of a stage that rotates and changes its layout would be great! How could you pass up an idea like that?

I can't give up hope until I know 100% for sure he's not a character.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I may have mentioned this earlier. But I thought I'd go a little more detail on it. I still do have some hope for Captain Toad even if I think his likelihood has decreased since E3. And the main reason for that hope is strangely all thanks to Toadette.

You would think naturally Toadette would be the Toad used by Daisy being they're both by now well-known for being recurring Mario spin-off characters. Daisy having been in most spin-offs since Mario Tennis 64, and Toadette making her debut in Double Dash (Not to mention just like Daisy, she's in Super Mario Run! Daisy fans were using that as an argument that Daisy does now have a main game apparence. And if that counts then Toadette's does too). But since Daisy is not using Toadette... That opens up her ability to be playable as of course Captain Toad's gendered alt.

If Daisy had been seen using Toadette when they showed her at E3. That would mean if Captain Toad were in, Toadette would likely NOT be an alt. And it's kinda hard to see them not do that. Granted it would still leave the possibility of Blue Toad in reference to the New Super Mario Bros. series and 3D World that is currently being used by Toad. But between regular Toad being used by Peach still, Captain Toad would not have his female partner as a choice for an alt, and the fact despite the success of the NSMB series that came beforehand... it was Rosalina who got in advertising 3D World and not the Blue Toad. So why would he do so this time?

Thus if Captain Toad is in, we should all thank Toadette for being that shining light of hope for Toad fans.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Heh, I do kinda imagine if Captain Toad is playable. Just like how the different Mario series amiibos (As long as that character is playable anyway) will now work with Smash Ultimate. That despite being different characters the Toad Amiibo would be used for Captain Toad. Though the Smash Captain Toad amiibo would be the one that actually has the headlamp attached permanently.

Though imagine if the new wave of Super Mario series Toad amiibos came with a headlamp accessory xD

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Surprised by a lot of people loosing hope.

If he isn't a playable character, he will be an AT or have a stage based off of CTTT. Character, AT, or Stage all would fit and his game is big. They aren't going to leave him out in all forms.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

If he isn't a playable character, he will be an AT or have a stage based off of CTTT. Character, AT, or Stage all would fit and his game is big. They aren't going to leave him out in all forms.
they leave out a lot of stuff

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Maybe Nintendo is trying to tell us not to lose hope?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

To be fair, I'm pretty sure we'll get something of him. I'd rather it NOT be an AT, as Assist Trophies rarely get promoted, and we're mostly here because we want a playable Toad character be it regular or Captain. A stage would be pretty fun however.

Kind of been a bit of a hard life being a Toad fan in terms of Smash speculation:

Smash 64
"This game is awesome. It's got 4 of the Mario Kart crew in it! Maybe one day Toad will join alongside Peach, Bowser and Wario..."

Melee:
"Okay, so now they got Bowser and Peach in, that's all the major Mario characters right outside Toad and Wario? And hey, look, they got a Toad running in the background! They made a unique model for him...oh wait, it's an animated Peach counter...well okay, at least it proves it can be done!
I even heard Toad's a secret character. Some rumour going around about the credits...hope this means good things"

Brawl:
"Okay, well, we all knew Wario would probably also outprioritise Toad due to having his own game series. That's...I guess that's fair? And hey; Toad's done well on that poll! Toad is literally the next biggest character in the Mario series left now...oh, I guess Bowser Jr is being heavily promoted though...oh no..."

Sm4sh:
"...Toad's one of the first deconfirmed characters, and just as he finally started getting playable roles in the main series again. ROSALINA GOT IN OVER HIM?!? But she's the secret character from 3D World, and he's a default one...this is bull..."

Sm4sh DLC period:
"...okay so our boy is a counter, and Bowser Jr is now in alongside Rosalina and...fricking Dr. Mario returning...but hey everyone from the actual Nintendo newcomers were somewhat recent characters, and the detractors have now shut up since Captain Toad has given Toad both an identity, his own game, and a role. The game's even sold really well considering it's been on the worst selling console to date! And look, Toad may have done well in the ballot since the Miis have been given an outfit to fight in...things are looking good for the next game!""

Ultimate period:

"Okay guys this is it; Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is recent, pretty successful game of which he is the protagonist, he's a recognisable face, it's fair to believe he did decently on the poll due to how famous Toad is in general, he got a Mii outfit(Hell if K. Rool and Geno fans can count it, why not?) and there's literally no bigger Mario character in his way at this point. He's got to have a good shot...."

Sakurai: "The focus of this game is veterans. Also Daisy is in, and you shouldn't expect too many newcomers this time round. But hey; Toad no longer acts like he's a hostage. ENJOY."

"...****."

So now Captain Toad holds the only chance we have to get in and despite his impressive resume that would have gotten him in the door for literally any other Smash game before(being recent and a protagonist of a successful spinoff), we're now dealing with limited newcomers, Sakurai's been stated on record that he wants Geno as a playable character and if this is his last game, he's likely to promote Geno above Captain Toad, and as for Mario spinoff characters; WarioWare's Ashley looks like she's also a big frontrunner.

At least Toad's being treated with a modicum of respect after nearly 17 years in Peach's moveset. And I guess there's always the possibility of the Mii outfit returning. I SUPPOSE we shouldn't grumble, but still none of these are what we've desired for nearly 20 years.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
To be fair, I'm pretty sure we'll get something of him. I'd rather it NOT be an AT, as Assist Trophies rarely get promoted, and we're mostly here because we want a playable Toad character be it regular or Captain. A stage would be pretty fun however.

Kind of been a bit of a hard life being a Toad fan in terms of Smash speculation:

Smash 64
"This game is awesome. It's got 4 of the Mario Kart crew in it! Maybe one day Toad will join alongside Peach, Bowser and Wario..."

Melee:
"Okay, so now they got Bowser and Peach in, that's all the major Mario characters right outside Toad and Wario? And hey, look, they got a Toad running in the background! They made a unique model for him...oh wait, it's an animated Peach counter...well okay, at least it proves it can be done!
I even heard Toad's a secret character. Some rumour going around about the credits...hope this means good things"

Brawl:
"Okay, well, we all knew Wario would probably also outprioritise Toad due to having his own game series. That's...I guess that's fair? And hey; Toad's done well on that poll! Toad is literally the next biggest character in the Mario series left now...oh, I guess Bowser Jr is being heavily promoted though...oh no..."

Sm4sh:
"...Toad's one of the first deconfirmed characters, and just as he finally started getting playable roles in the main series again. ROSALINA GOT IN OVER HIM?!? But she's the secret character from 3D World, and he's a default one...this is bull..."

Sm4sh DLC period:
"...okay so our boy is a counter, and Bowser Jr is now in alongside Rosalina and...fricking Dr. Mario returning...but hey everyone from the actual Nintendo newcomers were somewhat recent characters, and the detractors have now shut up since Captain Toad has given Toad both an identity, his own game, and a role. The game's even sold really well considering it's been on the worst selling console to date! And look, Toad may have done well in the ballot since the Miis have been given an outfit to fight in...things are looking good for the next game!""

Ultimate period:
"Okay guys this is it; Captain Toad Treasure Tracker is recent, pretty successful game of which he is the protagonist, he's a recognisable face, it's fair to believe he did decently on the poll due to how famous Toad is in general, he got a Mii outfit(Hell if K. Rool and Geno fans can count it, why not?) and there's literally no bigger Mario character in his way at this point. He's got to have a good shot...."

Sakurai: "The focus of this game is veterans. Also Daisy is in, and you shouldn't expect too many newcomers this time round. But hey; Toad no longer acts like he's a hostage. ENJOY."

"...****."

So now Captain Toad holds the only chance we have to get in and despite his impressive resume that would have gotten him in the door for literally any other Smash game before(being recent and a protagonist of a successful spinoff), we're now dealing with limited newcomers, Sakurai's been stated on record that he wants Geno as a playable character and if this is his last game, he's likely to promote Geno above Captain Toad, and as for Mario spinoff characters; WarioWare's Ashley looks like she's also a big frontrunner.

At least Toad's being treated with a modicum of respect after nearly 17 years in Peach's moveset. And I guess there's always the possibility of the Mii outfit returning. I SUPPOSE we shouldn't grumble, but still none of these are what we've desired for nearly 20 years.
Do you guys fear that Sakurai just doesn't think Toad (even with Captain) has enough of a moveset to make happen, or is he just getting snubbed because Sakurai finds somebody more interesting to him (Rosalina, possibly Geno) every time?

Either way, something's keeping him out of the conversation and it feels like Toad is becoming the new Ridley; somebody who on all accounts should be in but one Achilles' heel stops them from getting through.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

Smash 64

Melee:

Brawl:

Sm4sh:

Sm4sh DLC period:

Ultimate period:

"...****."

Yep.

Those are my thoughts exactly. It's just been a roller coaster of emotions.
A New Smash is announced and you get hyped, wanting Toad as a newcomer, he doesn't make it and you come crashing down with disappointment.
You play the game and it's fun and you enjoy it.
Then another Smash is announced and you get excited all over again and the cycle repeats all over again...

Gah. I really really hope this time is different.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do you guys fear that Sakurai just doesn't think Toad (even with Captain) has enough of a moveset to make happen, or is he just getting snubbed because Sakurai finds somebody more interesting to him (Rosalina, possibly Geno) every time?

Either way, something's keeping him out of the conversation and it feels like Toad is becoming the new Ridley; somebody who on all accounts should be in but one Achilles' heel stops them from getting through.
The kicker is, even when he had his first starring role before TT, top billing belonged to somebody else.

Wario's Woods.

Next thing you know, literally all the noteworthy spin-off characters from DK, Wario and maybe even Yoshi will get in before him. There's no question that they'll eventually run out of "big" names to include from the metafranchise and move on, but still.

At least I'll be able to get Treasure Tracker this time, since I skipped on Wii U.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Feels like Waluigi is the new Ridley nowadays.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
something's keeping him out of the conversation and it feels like Toad is becoming the new Ridley; somebody who on all accounts should be in but one Achilles' heel stops them from getting through.
I felt this really hard with Sm4sh. Imo nothing about Rosalina or Bowser Jr. really made them stand out as interesting playable characters, at least not anymore than Toad, and with Captain Toad’s rise it seemed like he had a shot only to get shafted for an NPC and an overused boss. I know both Rosalina and Jr. have their fans, but from a pure moveset potential perspective neither had much going for them. Hell, Bowser Jr. absolutely HAD to have the Clown Car to be interesting at all...

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Feels like Waluigi is the new Ridley nowadays.
It's going to feel strange if Geno gets in alongside Daisy while Toad and Waluigi are still left behind.

I felt this really hard with Sm4sh. Imo nothing about Rosalina or Bowser Jr. really made them stand out as interesting playable characters, at least not anymore than Toad, and with Captain Toad’s rise it seemed like he had a shot only to get shafted for an NPC and an overused boss. I know both Rosalina and Jr. have their fans, but from a pure moveset potential perspective neither had much going for them. Hell, Bowser Jr. absolutely HAD to have the Clown Car to be interesting at all...
I do like their inclusions, but when you think of it that way, it kind of hurts that Sakurai was willing to take creative liberties with them but not Toad. Even if he didn't know about TT back when he chose the roster, he could've made Captain Toad playable in this game.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I do like their inclusions, but when you think of it that way, it kind of hurts that Sakurai was willing to take creative liberties with them but not Toad. Even if he didn't know about TT back when he chose the roster, he could've made Captain Toad playable in this game.

I think this is why I've frankly been leaning on conclusive implications for the longest time, that Sakurai doesn't just see Toad enough as fighter material to be in Super Smash Bros, instead just keeping him ignorantly on his own definition of "Peach's bodyguard" as long as he's developing the games - whether being a comical meatshield up to this point, or now given somewhat more proactive role in this iteration. Though it's all sorts of ironic that Luma gets to suddenly learn how to dish highly prioritized heavy blows before Toad even gets to act less of a throwaway joke character himself.

It's highly comparable to the situation with Tingle and how probably will never be playable character either in the entire series' run, despite having insane amounts of character, legacy and moveset potential (though in Tingle's case, it's been speculated he's not included due the hatedom he has in the West).

Mostly this is why I haven't been keen on putting my energy on actively supporting Toad as I used to along with other characters I used to support back in Smash 4-days - it feels bit like there'll be a lot of surprises, but I can't say much anything that I'm feeling very much positive about today due how Smash 4 wasn't entirely as hyping for me in means of newcomers as Brawl was due how it dismissed a lot of characters I was highly looking forward to (Dixie, Toad, Tingle, most of the fan favorite obscurities/cult characters) - and this one's gonna probably be filled with top winners from the Ballot for what seems "fewer inclusions" than in last games. Not much I can say what's in my favor there if going by what I've gotten now.

On the flipside, Ultimate seems to finally cater to good sum of fan wishes, already starting with no cuts at all, Dorf getting to actually use his sword in his attacks, Wario apparently having his Shoulder Bash, Mario actually getting his jolly character back on his taunts and expressions that finally make him truer to his actual character instead of being less of an angry and "serious" character like in past iterations, and much more.

I guess Toad being given tad more proactivity might slightly reflect these kind of modifications - though Daisy's implementation I'm bit finding a strange exception.

Ultimately, I think it's just up to surprise reveal of Captain Toad, and other fan-favorites, I used to support actively really get hyped for this game like I used to eons back in Brawl - in the meantime I'm just treating the game as a collectathon of veterans to play as in more refined version of Smash 4.

Still, I think there's still some glimmer of hope, if going by Toadette being strangely absent from Daisy's heavily borrowed moveset, while Nintendo's still keeping on the momentum of promoting the lil' shroom Captain about. Looks like the journey's not yet over for all of us.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Captain Toad came out the exact same month Smash 4 Wii U did. So in terms of Chances, only the ballot could of helped him.

Though because of recent revelations, we do know that Bayonetta started development/negotiations quite early. Just two weeks into the ballot period to be precise. I'm on the side that says that Bayonetta probably still did good in the ballot even if it seems she wasn't really a "winner" per se. But that just means that DLC wasn't as effected by the ballot as we thought. But will indeed be something for this game. We only gotta hope there was enough support for Captain Toad/Toad in the ballot to get him some notice. Arguably maybe Toad already has been acknowledged as such with him no longer being a meatshield. But as I've mentioned before, that can go two ways in that if Captain Toad is playable then it was a bit of hint or subtle wink/nudge that Sakurai can see a Toad finally fighting. It's just we're getting the Captain and not the Toad used by Peach. Just as a way to acknowledge that they're different characters and also like I've mentioned before, an easy pic to have a cheeky joke on Captain Toad's character profile on the website.

I'll understand if he doesn't make it purely out of lack of space/out prioritized by other franchises that could sorely need new characters. But I don't quite think I'll completely give up until we see either a Captain Toad or Toadette AT, background appearance on a stage, etc. Keep in mind with both Echo fighters added to the game their respective franchises also got at least one unique character (Palutena with Dark Pit, Robin with Lucina, and while maybe Dr. Mario doesn't quite count since he isn't an echo but just in case since he was in the "clone corner" in Smash 4. It doesn't need to already be said that there was Rosalina and Bowser Jr.) so while it is possible all they add is an Echo Daisy for Mario, it might seem lacking in terms of new stuff for Mario. And while there's the concern of overrepresentation, I mean we have 9 Pokemon already confirmed playable with a big chance for a 10th from the 7th gen coming, and Zelda has 3 Links. With a game as large as this, I'm not sure over repping especially with some of the flagship franchises for Nintendo will be as much of problem really.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It is peculiar to me the peace loving Princess Peach is considered a more viable fighter than her bodyguard. A world where Rosalina, essentially a mother to the Lumas is considered a more battle ready individual than someone who's been fighting against Bowser, Wart and Wario and coming out the victor in those scraps. A world where a yoga instructor is considered battle ready....is a world where Sakurai cannot envision a canonical Toad being able to battle.

This is a world where a duck and a dog can team up to fight, a world where a baby mouse who damages himself, a mayor, and an accessory shaped like a robot are perfectly capable of fighting gods, demons and overpowered psychics and yet Toad and his species, whom are no strangers to battles are considered incapable of being much more than a meatshield.

It's weird. We really need someone to question Sakurai on Toad and why he's left out. Even Toad haters are beginning to notice he's a weird omission in a lineup of Nintendo All Stars(and Video game All Stars).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Even Toad haters are beginning to notice he's a weird omission in a lineup of Nintendo All Stars(and Video game All Stars).
So they admit he actually belongs in this kind of game despite being detractors, instead of being glad he's not in?

:043:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So they admit he actually belongs in this kind of game despite being detractors, instead of being glad he's not in?

:043:
Well, maybe not all of them(some are glad for sure), but I've definitely seen a few who have said that whilst they don't like Toad it's an oddity he hasn't been included at this point in the series.

It's a very peculiar situation and I've not witnessed it with many other fanbases outside Ridley, Dixie, K. Rool and now probably Waluigi (thanks to Daisy getting in) where detractors even have to admit it's strange.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, maybe not all of them(some are glad for sure), but I've definitely seen a few who have said that whilst they don't like Toad it's an oddity he hasn't been included at this point in the series.

It's a very peculiar situation and I've not witnessed it with many other fanbases outside Ridley, Dixie, K. Rool and now probably Waluigi (thanks to Daisy getting in) where detractors even have to admit it's strange.
Waluigi isn't really as strange. Daisy only got in because she could be an Echo. It didn't really impact Waluigi in any way, and Sakurai probably didn't include him because he still has no important roles where he could have a fully unique moveset that isn't just "sports".

Which makes Toad's absence all the more glaring. Maybe he didn't get many ballot votes, but I doubt it since he's one of the more well-known characters left; recognized by both hardcore and casual fans.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Waluigi isn't really as strange. Daisy only got in because she could be an Echo. It didn't really impact Waluigi in any way, and Sakurai probably didn't include him because he still has no important roles where he could have a fully unique moveset that isn't just "sports".
At this point, Waluigi might as well get in Smash with a tennis-themed moveset.

Daisy's first appearance was as a yellow Peach of the desert Mushroom Kingdom. It's only fitting that Daisy got in Smash as an orange Peach. Daisy didn't really go through character development in the past 30 years to be any different from Peach. She's just tomboy Peach.

But for Waluigi, his first appearance was in Mario Tennis so it's fitting that Waluigi should get in Smash with a tennis-themed moveset. Waluigi never had character development beyond being evil Luigi or Wario's sidekick.

But Toad? He went through plenty of character development... especially in the 3D games that Nintendo wants to pretend Captain Toad and The Toad are two different Toads.

• Mario 64 - The Toad was wearing the blue vest.
  • Sunshine - The Toad was wearing the red vest so he became Red Toad (even though he never called himself that)
  • Galaxy - Red Toad put on the headlight and called himself Captain Toad.
  • Galaxy 2 - Captain Toad put on the backpack.
  • 3D World - Captain Toad put on the explorer outfit. (oh, and Blue Toad apparently is the same Blue Toad of the Toad Brigade according to the end credits and yet he is supposed to be The Toad because he has super speed from SMB2?)
  • Treasure Tracker - Captain Toad is partners with Toadette (just like The Toad is partners with Toadette but Nintendo wants to pretend Captain Toad and The Toad are two different Toads)

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
But Toad? He went through plenty of character development... especially in the 3D games that Nintendo wants to pretend Captain Toad and The Toad are two different Toads.
This is something I always found interesting. Is there any benefit to having Toad and Captain Toad be distinct characters? The only real benefit I can see is in 3D World to avoid confusion, but given his other appearances, I would argue that it's easier to just call the Blue Toad...well, Blue Toad (or Buckenberry ;) ) and keep Captain Toad as the Toad. Heck, as far as I'm concerned, there isn't even a "the" Toad in Odyssey (despite the Mushroom Kingdom being filled with red-spotted blue-vested Toads).

Besides, why can't Toad just be both Toad and Captain? Again, 3D World is the only instance where I see this possibly being confusing, whereas games prior to and following 3D World never feature Toad and Captain Toad in the same place. Honestly, with Toad's mushroom cap being confirmed as his head, I'm much more confused as to how 3D World's blue-spotted Toad can be the red-spotted Toad we all know and love. Just makes more sense that Toad threw on a headlamp and a backpack and called himself Captain...which is supposedly his origin story in the Galaxy games and thus the Toad Brigade in general?

For our visual learners, I put together a little graphic that charts the course of Captain/Toad's identity.

Toad Identity Chart.png

Of course, I could be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Top Bottom