• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I did my part as well and put in my rating. Though afraid I can't go over 50% at this point (even then this is a generous score) - it's so weird to just see Toad continuously being ignored like this by Sakurai.

Regardless, I do hope we see something by July 13th to ease us Captain Toad fans. A confirmation as a playable character would be....a dream come true especially after supporting Toad for so long. Ultimate has made dreams come true so far - all cut characters returned, so many returning stages, Ridley playable, Daisy playable. Perhaps we can finally get at least one playable Toad? Toadette too has been gaining popularity and relevance too, so Captain Toad/Toadette would be a double package!

At this point, I'll do my best to stay positive. Let's see how this fares mates!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I was actually thinking to set up a campaign to change the Blue Toad in Daisy's set to a Super Mario Land enemy :4dedede:
On one hand it'd "free" Blue Toad from falling under the same duty as his red brother, on the other hand it is less Toad to play with.
Since Daisy is a very literal clone, something like this would set her apart from Peach and give her a hint to her roots (and maybe force Nintendo to show us Sarasaland)

Would you guys be okay with that?

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
I did my part as well and put in my rating. Though afraid I can't go over 50% at this point (even then this is a generous score) - it's so weird to just see Toad continuously being ignored like this by Sakurai.

Regardless, I do hope we see something by July 13th to ease us Captain Toad fans. A confirmation as a playable character would be....a dream come true especially after supporting Toad for so long. Ultimate has made dreams come true so far - all cut characters returned, so many returning stages, Ridley playable, Daisy playable. Perhaps we can finally get at least one playable Toad? Toadette too has been gaining popularity and relevance too, so Captain Toad/Toadette would be a double package!

At this point, I'll do my best to stay positive. Let's see how this fares mates!
I couldn't give over 50% either... Because I can see it going either way. Needless to say I know what it feels like to be so optimistic only to be shut down once again. But... It would be a dream come true for sure. I don't know what it feels like to have my top most wanted characters in Smash. (In Melee and Brawl all I wanted was Toad. And for Smash 4 I wanted Toad and Girhahim. And now I want Captain Toad, Urbosa, and Decidueye.) After supporting Toad/Captain Toad for SO LONG it would be amazing to finally have him playable... I still have my fingers crossed. And I hope this page BLOWS UP on July 13th!!! That would be an amazing day. I'd go buy Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker for the Switch and celebrate Captain Toad being playable in Super Smash Bros!

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, I've given this some thought and now I'm making a new post on various scenario's regarding Captain Toad's odds.

Best Case Scenario: Captain Toad is playable in the base game. I personally find this to be very implausible for reasons I delineated on page 15, but some people on this thread aren't so sure as I am, so maybe I'm off-base.

2nd Best Case Scenario: Sakurai recognizes the great demand for Toad and his merits as a smash candidate, but due to the limited dev resources for newcomers, Captain Toad just barely didn't make the cut, in which case he is a very strong DLC candidate. I find this scenario much more plausible.

Worst Case Scenario: Sakurai has, for whatever idiotic reason, gotten it into his head that Toad is unsuitable for smash, and is making his role more dignified to pacify Toad fans. Though frighteningly plausible to me, even this scenario is not without hope, as it seems like Ridley was in a very similar situation in Smash 4.

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
Put me on the supporter list! I supported our Captain in Smash four and will continue to do so until he gets the "treasured" smash invite!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo

So for some reason this wasn't shown at E3, but looks like Treasure Tracker will get a few more stages than just New Donk City.

Maybe even a new boss battle!
Are there only going to be four new stages? Perhaps I’m being stingy, but I was kind of hoping there’d be more new content...

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
N
Worse news I'm afraid. Not only are there only four, but the four REPLACE the 3D World levels which are no longer in the game.

Why Nintendo? Why?
Not incredibly shocking, I think it would be a little odd to see 3D World levels on Switch but it still sucks to receive less content.

At least the Odyssey levels are new, I guess.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Worse news I'm afraid. Not only are there only four, but the four REPLACE the 3D World levels which are no longer in the game.

Why Nintendo? Why?
That sucks!! Why would they remove perfectly great levels! This is supposed to be a sequel to 3D World!
I guess now it's a sequel to Odyssey?

Hmmm. The new stages do look fun though! Especially the Luncheon Kingdom. I liked the stages like that that forced you to run. There was one called like Magma Marathon or something. That was probably my favorite level from the original Treasure Tracker.
And the Cascade Kingdom looks beautiful!

I'm still gonna buy this game! I'm excited to have Captain Toad on the Switch!

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
Are there only going to be four new stages? Perhaps I’m being stingy, but I was kind of hoping there’d be more new content...
I really hope that this isn’t true. Like why advertise the Odyssey levels in the box art just to only have 4 new levels? If there isn’t a lot of new content, I’m afraid that the game won’t sell and therefore lose the chance of having a potential sequel

EDIT: I swear I saw 5 new levels anyway? Isn’t the Power Plant from New Donk City confirmed as well?

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So Source Gaming has translated Sakurai's latest Famitsu column and according to the translation in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

The project plan for Smash Ultimate (which I presume includes the fighter roster) was apparently completed in/around December 2015 which was 2 months after the Smash Ballot ended.

So, what do you all think? Does Captain Toad still have a chance? I'm sorry to say, I forgot when the original Captain Toad game (for Wii U) came out, so I'm not too sure here.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
So Source Gaming has translated Sakurai's latest Famitsu column and according to the translation in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/AllSourceGaming/status/1009455106637656064

The project plan for Smash Ultimate (which I presume includes the fighter roster) was apparently completed in/around December 2015 which was 2 months after the Smash Ballot ended.

So, what do you all think? Does Captain Toad still have a chance? I'm sorry to say, I forgot when the original Captain Toad game (for Wii U) came out, so I'm not too sure here.
Captain Toad's game literally came out the month Smash 4 on Wii U did. So the timing of the project plan leans more to helping rather then hurting if we get any more newcomers representing Wii U games other then the Inklings. It also helps Elma as well as characters that scored highly on the ballot.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
EDIT: I swear I saw 5 new levels anyway? Isn’t the Power Plant from New Donk City confirmed as well?
I think the Power Plant is just part of the New Donk City level.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Please do not double post. Edit your messages instead. :)
I hope he still has a chance but I am feeling too pessimistic about it. Ugh. Especially when the fan demand is loud and clear for a Mario character whose name begins with W or G.

N

Not incredibly shocking, I think it would be a little odd to see 3D World levels on Switch but it still sucks to receive less content.

At least the Odyssey levels are new, I guess.
Ugh.

So the Switch version replaces the 3D World levels with the Odyssey levels? And that's it?

Why didn't Nintendo just make Captain Toad Treasure Tracker 2 with 70+ new levels? Why make only 4 new levels and then replace 4 old levels from the first game?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Well, folks, if you're feeling down, gaze upon this beautiful artwork found on the Japanese website for Treasure Tracker.

IMG_3002.JPG

**** he looks so good i'm in love

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well, folks, if you're feeling down, gaze upon this beautiful artwork found on the Japanese website for Treasure Tracker.

View attachment 149316
**** he looks so good i'm in love
That's absolutely beautiful. I may actually have to get a print of that for my bedroom at some point.

Also check out Captain Toad/Mario Odyssey giving more DKC love than Smash has with Rambi Street. :p

Definitely going to purchase the game again still. Been a while since I completed it last, and I really want a proper sequel to happen some day.

I hope he still has a chance but I am feeling too pessimistic about it. Ugh. Especially when the fan demand is loud and clear for a Mario character whose name begins with W or G.
I know the feeling. I haven't quite given up hope just yet, but those Waluigi and Geno fans are far more vocal. Waluigi fans however may be screwing themselves over with how overly zealous they're being about it.

For now though Waluigi isn't getting any playable status in Ultimate. I doubt very much that any assist can also be a DLC fighter, so he's out.
Geno has a shot, as does Paper Mario alongside Captain Toad but the competition has been cut down.

Personally I could see the Captain either being revealed next month in the base game to coincide with the Treasure Tracker Switch and 3DS release, or as DLC a bit further down the track providing he doesn't show up as an assist in the meantime.

If all else fails, Toad has at least been given a modicum of respect this game within Peach's moveset which is a massive improvement over the last three games. Baby steps, but steps non the less...

...and if this truly is Sakurai's last game, maybe the next director will view Toad in a slightly different light anyway. Who knows. Anything could happen. Maybe Meowth too!

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
That's absolutely beautiful. I may actually have to get a print of that for my bedroom at some point.

Also check out Captain Toad/Mario Odyssey giving more DKC love than Smash has with Rambi Street. :p

Definitely going to purchase the game again still. Been a while since I completed it last, and I really want a proper sequel to happen some day.
I gave my Wii U to my sister so I don't even have a way to play the Wii U Treasure Tracker. And it's been awhile since I've even picked it up. So I ame excited to play it again.

I am 100% NOT excited to do Mummy-Me Maze Forever again... That frustrated me to no end. Lost my patience a lot and quit playing every time I lost. So it took me forever to beat. :\

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's what I want too. A proper sequel. With 70+ new levels.

I have a couple ideas for said sequel
  • Goomba's Shoe - so Captain Toad can jump and it could be required to solve puzzles
  • Triangular Block - so Captain Toad can walk on walls like Mario does in Super Mario Galaxy and it could be required to solve puzzles and it would also serve as homage to Wario's Woods where Toad walked on walls

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That's what I want too. A proper sequel. With 70+ new levels.

I have a couple ideas for said sequel
  • Goomba's Shoe - so Captain Toad can jump and it could be required to solve puzzles
  • Triangular Block - so Captain Toad can walk on walls like Mario does in Super Mario Galaxy and it could be required to solve puzzles and it would also serve as homage to Wario's Woods where Toad walked on walls
The Triangular Block is a must have for sure. I understand one reason for the lack of jump is it destroys the game flow(aka; as short as these levels are they'd be solvable in ten seconds if Captain Toad could jump) but maybe using it specifically for certain levels could be a lot of fun.

I want to see more levels where you have to use enemies to defeat other enemies. That one where you beat the Mudtroopers using Charging Chucks and Flaptors is one of my favourites.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The dreams not dead yet!! I can't wait to see Captain Toad in the 66 slot!!
Me too... either for Smash Ultimate or the next Smash or the one after... Sakurai cannot keep ignoring Toad fans forever. It isn't like he is Meowth. :sadeyes:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm really torn on getting the game. My funds are kinda short at the moment, and I already have the Wii U game, but I also want to support the franchise and help it grow.

Do you guys think they might do DLC stages for the game? That would make me buy it in a heartbeat.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
I'm really torn on getting the game. My funds are kinda short at the moment, and I already have the Wii U game, but I also want to support the franchise and help it grow.

Do you guys think they might do DLC stages for the game? That would make me buy it in a heartbeat.
I don’t think they will do DLC on a port, but possibly for the sequel (if the Switch version sells and get a sequel).

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So I had another dream about Captain Toad being revealed last night.
In this dream there was a short Nintendo Direct and it showed some Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, but then cut to some Smash 4 Footage of Peach using Toad as a shield.

And then went to Smash Ultimate footage and Sakurai was like "Look! Toad isn't a meat shield anymore." It seemed like that was all there was, and then after a pause Captain Toad came into view and there was gameplay footage of him. They showed him using his pickaxe a lot. And also... There was this weird auditorium themed stage that went along with Captain Toad (for some reason.)

And I came here to the thread and it was blowing up. And I kept saying "I am so excited I feel sick to my stomach."
Lol.
I have never had my most wanted newcomer added to Smash yet. So I don't know how I'd react or how I'd feel. Haha.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking... if Captain Toad actually gets in, he would have only 8 recolors like everyone. Even Little Mac only has 8 recolors now.

Captain Toad
Hint Toad
Yellow Toad (Toad Brigade)
Bank Toad
Mail Toad
Archivist Toadette
The Toad (I need this at least)
Toadette

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I was thinking... if Captain Toad actually gets in, he would have only 8 recolors like everyone. Even Little Mac only has 8 recolors now.

Captain Toad
Hint Toad
Yellow Toad (Toad Brigade)
Bank Toad
Mail Toad
Archivist Toadette
The Toad (I need this at least)
Toadette
that might not be true i think people said there was no meta-ridley alt on the demo at e3 but images on the website shows he has them so there could be more than eight

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
that might not be true i think people said there was no meta-ridley alt on the demo at e3 but images on the website shows he has them so there could be more than eight
Oh yes. I saw Meta Ridley. What’s up with that? Ridley’s alt? Or a new stage boss?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh yes. I saw Meta Ridley. What’s up with that? Ridley’s alt? Or a new stage boss?
i would guess based on the screen shot an alt i guees he could be a boss but itd be a bit strange seeing as it appeared to be castle siege

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
i would guess based on the screen shot an alt i guees he could be a boss but itd be a bit strange seeing as it appeared to be castle siege
It was? Oh... I guess it could be an Assist Trophy or something.

Top Bottom