• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Those Who Favor Brawl, Let's Finally Admit It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
You want to know why I think Brawl is better than Melee? It's a bad reason:

I don't like the percent damages.

That's an example, but let me explain: the game is nasty and old looking, out of date, out of style. Brawl is new. It has Wolf. Thus, it is better.

However, I would like to point out that I kind of rather Brawl's play style. Why? Well, I'm used to it. I can tell you one thing, I SUCKED at Melee. And the reason why was because I wasn't part of the smash community like here now. I can tell you with confidence that if I returned to it, played it, and tried, I could do a lot of things the pros did (GERM). Would it turn out that way? Maybe not, but I have confidence I could. And I'll tell you that after playing Melee at such an extreme level, I would probably prefer it over Brawl.

In sum, I only play Brawl because it's new and, well, has Wolf. As far as I'm concerned, people will agree just because Brawl is new and looks...new. Melee is old. Brawl is new. Do the math. It's not hard.

Corigames

Smash Hero
corey, STB has actually moved on to Melee! :D

Yes, even Oscar.

The real enemies of Melee are Goop's posse and TCB.

Maybe I'll make my decent back to hell and try to raise the bile that is AZ smash back up to glory.

Only if they apologize though :D

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
WTH does it matter if we sucked at Melee or not, don't assume that just because people sucked at Melee and didn't learn the aspects of AT's when the pro's did won't mean that they will prefer or love Brawl, you are just speaking for yourself saying it because face it, you probably prefer it because you caught on Brawl since it's release a few months ago, other than that, if a few years passed you wouldn't be saying this now would you?

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you're poking at my grammar. Which really shouldn't matter on the internet.

Look, i'm just going to say something. I've been around for sometime, and I use to flame and argue against many people who produce the same argument with great detail. At the moment, I honestly don't care that much about what they say to do that anymore because i'm tired of repeating myself. Yuna is the person who does that stuff now, so others wouldn't have to. Why should I have to repeat myself because you don't want to look into the game like everyone else did?

And honestly, i'm tired of hearing this same crap from the 08 members who essentially know nothing of Melee outside of: "Fox/Falco/Marth/Sheik are the only played characters!! Wavedashing and L-canceling was a Glitch!! Brawl is better because I say so blah blah blah!!!". I don't think you're in any position to represent your side of the community.

I'm also sure that many people still do care for this debate. It isn't true that everyone sucked at Melee, but it's the majority of the people who use that in their defense.

All and all, you're posting here, so apparently you care about the debate as well. Nice way to contradict your argument.
Was that entire statement directed at me? I certainly hope not since the only two of your above statements relate to me at all.

I was poking at your grammar because you started to flame. Tch, excuse me for helping to bite back.

I posted because the only thing that I care about when it comes to this debate is that it repeats itself in too many different threads. It's been recited again and again by the same idiots on both sides of the coin.

If you're wondering why I responded to this... well I read through 23 pages of **** to get here just so I could see your response. (Devotion indeed)

Lastly, I'd just like to mention how much I hate being thrown in with the "08 members". Elitism is better left for the Nazi Party.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Heh, the topic creator is just like me =P. I started competive melee in like 2007, and when I went to the first tourney, I was so pathetically behind everybody else, I was hopeless. So yeah, I waited for brawl. xD

Corigames

Smash Hero
Next thing you know I'll be playing the piano, twirling a pirouette, and getting your mum drunk off her bum from champagne to take her home for a spot of fanny fun :D

That mother ****ing eloquent. Mozart and got **** on me.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Next thing you know I'll be playing the piano, twirling a pirouette, and getting your mum drunk off her bum from champagne to take her home for a spot of fanny fun :D

That mother ****ing eloquent. Mozart and got **** on me.
::cough:: What? I could play the piano better than you with my feet while your drunk mother sang scat and licked my ear!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Touche

However, my good sir, we seem to be distracting the main topic of this already ruffled up thread to be more unbound from the twang that is adhesion to any semblance to a conversation. Perhaps we shall set a discourse towards such a fleeting idea as beginning the topic anew? Ha, what glory should be had then!

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Touche

However, my good sir, we seem to be distracting the main topic of this already ruffled up thread to be more unbound from the twang that is adhesion to any semblance to a conversation. Perhaps we shall set a discourse towards such a fleeting idea as beginning the topic anew? Ha, what glory should be had then!
Indeed good sir, I would very much like to see something made of this... debate. I however have nothing to add, so I leave it to you.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
So now, we're talking about pianos and mothers... amazing, because I actually make my own songs with the piano... and my mom can't stand them.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
I think Brawl is better because:

-It has more characters (and thus, it is more balanced).
-It has GREAT music, gameplay, and more stages.
-SSE is the best feature ever.
-Better graphics!

Prove me wrong.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Im no smash pro, and I know the internet wasnt what it is now when Melee came out, but was there a similar OMG MELEE IS SO GRRBAGE 64 IS THE UBER-1337?

Deal with it people, its a different game.

I think Brawl is better because:

-It has more characters (and thus, it is more balanced).
-It has GREAT music, gameplay, and more stages.
-SSE is the best feature ever.
-Better graphics!

Prove me wrong.

1. Having more characters means less balance. If a certain percentage of characters bare many advantages over others, introducing more characters with disadvantages only decreases the percentage of played characters all together. The logic that more=better is completely unsupported. In addition to that, Brawl is actually more unbalanced than Melee was. In Brawl, the only characters that stand a chance in tournaments are Snake and Meta Knight. Melee had:

-Fox
-Falco
-Marth
-Sheik
-Captain Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-Doctor Mario
-IC's
-Samus
-Peach

And even occasionally a lower tier character.

2. It does have some good music, but the gameplay is terrible. It's basically a watered down version of SSB64 with some additional nonsense like tripping and unlimited air dodges. The game is too easy, and there is virtually no room for skill. The stage design on some stages are amazing, like Battlefield. Some stages feel like a tacked on gimmick, and don't feel like a good nostalgic Nintendo stage. I honestly wish they could have done better wit the stage design and Camera angle. Also, what's up with the characters being so big?

3. SSE was a lazy attempt for an adventure game. It was basically Kirby with Smash Bros characters.

4. The graphics really don't reflect the gameplay.

So in conclusion, you like Brawl because of it's aesthetics even if it plays like crap. Personally, I prefer graphics over gameplay. But the new generation that's so bent up on graphics instead of gameplay basically eliminated the 2D era. It makes my glad that 2D games like Blaze Blue are being developed...

Can you honestly say that you don't feel that the gameplay is limiting? You can't even lightshield anymore. Inertia doesn't exist. Auto ledge snapping is also extremely annoying.

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
I love Brawl more than Melee,and always have. I never understood why people hated Brawl so much,it's a nice sequel to Melee,people just don't like it because it doesn't have all of the glitches people manipulated into "Advanced Techniques". It was obvious they were gonna be removed,its a new game,with new graphics,and seems like a new game engine.

Its a good game,but people were expecting Melee with better graphics.(or Melee 2.0)

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Im no smash pro, and I know the internet wasnt what it is now when Melee came out, but was there a similar OMG MELEE IS SO GRRBAGE 64 IS THE UBER-1337?

Deal with it people, its a different game.
Yes and i was one of those people. And from 64 to melee, melee had something 64 had hitstun and combos. Something brawl lacks. Anyways while everyone was playing melee while i was stuck playing smash64. It was an amazing game and i didnt want to give it up. Then i took a look at melee. first couple of matches i got *****. Then i started to realize why all my friends went to melee. It had more depth than 64. More approaches more things to do. I eventually started to like melee more. But the original is always placed top in my book.

Infamous Chimera

Smash Cadet
IMO, I seem to be enjoying Brawl much more than I ever did with Melee. Lots of music, better graphics, tons of nostalgia, Sonic, etc. I could go on.

I'm not that much of a competitive player (I'm more casual when it comes to Smash). Competitive with friends, yes. Competitive enough to go to tourneys... no. I'm too lazy to get off the mountain 90% of the time.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
1. Having more characters means less balance. If a certain percentage of characters bare many advantages over others, introducing more characters with disadvantages only decreases the percentage of played characters all together. The logic that more=better is completely unsupported. In addition to that, Brawl is actually more unbalanced than Melee was. In Brawl, the only characters that stand a chance in tournaments are Snake and Meta Knight. Melee had:

-Fox
-Falco
-Marth
-Sheik
-Captain Falcon
-Jigglypuff
-Doctor Mario
-IC's
-Samus
-Peach

And even occasionally a lower tier character.

2. It does have some good music, but the gameplay is terrible. It's basically a watered down version of SSB64 with some additional nonsense like tripping and unlimited air dodges. The game is too easy, and there is virtually no room for skill. The stage design on some stages are amazing, like Battlefield. Some stages feel like a tacked on gimmick, and don't feel like a good nostalgic Nintendo stage. I honestly wish they could have done better wit the stage design and Camera angle. Also, what's up with the characters being so big?

3. SSE was a lazy attempt for an adventure game. It was basically Kirby with Smash Bros characters.

4. The graphics really don't reflect the gameplay.

So in conclusion, you like Brawl because of it's aesthetics even if it plays like crap. Personally, I prefer graphics over gameplay. But the new generation that's so bent up on graphics instead of gameplay basically eliminated the 2D era. It makes my glad that 2D games like Blaze Blue are being developed...

Can you honestly say that you don't feel that the gameplay is limiting? You can't even lightshield anymore. Inertia doesn't exist. Auto ledge snapping is also extremely annoying.
Wow, I seriously can't even manage to come up with a good argument against this.

Wanna know why?

I hate Brawl.

I love Brawl more than Melee,and always have. I never understood why people hated Brawl so much,it's a nice sequel to Melee,people just don't like it because it doesn't have all of the glitches people manipulated into "Advanced Techniques". It was obvious they were gonna be removed,its a new game,with new graphics,and seems like a new game engine.

Its a good game,but people were expecting Melee with better graphics.(or Melee 2.0)
For god sake, please stop repeating that.

If you managed to read through the topic, and gain an understanding of why we dislike it, you wouldn't make all of these assumptions.

The techniques in Melee were not glitches, as they were also in SSSB64. The only technical exploits that are used consistently are the wavedash and L-cancel. The rest of the technical aspects simply come from the games physics and design.

If you didn't notice, SSB64's engine was different from Melee's. Things such as inertia and gravity had a greater effect than it did in SSB64.

Sure, Brawl has new crap, but it isn't worth intentionally destroying a game which has been established as a fighting game, and if you haven't noticed the trend, it's happened to lot's of games recently released by Nintendo. Twilight Princess? Easy. Super Mario Galaxy? Extremely simple. Mario Kart Wii? Simple. Super Smash Bros Brawl? Nerfed and easy.

It's this kid based demographic that Nintendo keeps catering too that's destroying their good series. And unfortunately, people still buy it, and act as if nothing happened. I would rather have the demo over this game. Nintendo even went through the trouble of delaying the game just so they could remove anything remotely competitive in the game. The demos released were nothing but a test, not a public demonstration.

But go ahead, believe what you want and keep repeating things other people said. You're just going to get bored with the game eventually, and then you'll probably move on to the next big thing. Nintendo is manipulating everyone, but i'm not standing for it.

This was supposed to be the biggest game for the Wii, and it's a failure from a competitive and (to some) casual level.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
The only good thing about Brawl is My Music.

Just listening to the music is only what I do when I put in the Brawl disc.

All of you should go play Melee, wtf

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Yeah, I tried arguing for Brawl's sake just once for ****s and giggles and I couldn't even refute against anything you said without sounding like an idiot.

Melee > Brawl

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC

If you managed to read through the topic, and gain an understanding of why we dislike it, you wouldn't make all of these assumptions.

The techniques in Melee were not glitches, as they were also in SSSB64. The only technical exploits that are used consistently are the wavedash and L-cancel. The rest of the technical aspects simply come from the games physics and design.

If you didn't notice, SSB64's engine was different from Melee's. Things such as inertia and gravity had a greater effect than it did in SSB64.

Sure, Brawl has new crap, but it isn't worth intentionally destroying a game which has been established as a fighting game, and if you haven't noticed the trend, it's happened to lot's of games recently released by Nintendo. Twilight Princess? Easy. Super Mario Galaxy? Extremely simple. Mario Kart Wii? Simple. Super Smash Bros Brawl? Nerfed and easy.

It's this kid based demographic that Nintendo keeps catering too that's destroying their good series. And unfortunately, people still buy it, and act as if nothing happened. I would rather have the demo over this game. Nintendo even went through the trouble of delaying the game just so they could remove anything remotely competitive in the game. The demos released were nothing but a test, not a public demonstration.

But go ahead, believe what you want and keep repeating things other people said. You're just going to get bored with the game eventually, and then you'll probably move on to the next big thing. Nintendo is manipulating everyone, but i'm not standing for it.

This was supposed to be the biggest game for the Wii, and it's a failure from a competitive and (to some) casual level.
Hmmm, very interesting post. WDing and L-cancelling were obviously not glitches (though not intended techs to be in the game either). All three engines are obviously different, and the best one is of your preference. I like Brawl's physics and design, with my only gripe being the hitstun and tripping issues. I have no problem with the auto ledgesnapping, no problem with no L-cancelling, no problem with floaty shorthopping... etc, and that's what makes Brawl a different game, and I like this game better than Melee. I remember the first time I played SB64, and I loved it. The first time I played Melee, I questioned it, but I loved it anyway. First time I played Brawl was on a **** Wii Remote, and I loved it immediately anyway, because it has this epic feel to it. It became apparent to me very quickly, however, that the game is floatier, and that you'd really have to figure out ways to eliminate your opponent quickly and consistently in this game... that's where the metagame hasn't truly developed yet, as there are still fights with characters running around with 150% damage. Once the edgeguard metagame gets better, matches will end quicker.

Twlight Princess has been claimed to be one of the best Zelda games ever (and maybe 2nd to either the NES one, the SNES one, or OOT on N64, depending on who you ask), Mario Galaxy is a great game, waaaay better than Sunshine and almost in the ranks of Mario64, but Mario Kart Wii is kinda gay... the items are just too much (if there was ever the need of an item switch...). However, last time I checked, Nintendo games have ALWAYS had a Nintendo based demographic... that's why Mortal Kombat 1 on SNES had no blood. It was just that people started to notice this when PS1 made it such that video games weren't made for kids anymore, but Nintendo loves the kids, always have and always will. And as far as I'm concerned, they need to continue that. There's nothing like playing a game that makes me feel like I'm 10 yrs old again.

As for getting bored with Brawl... I don't see that happening... that's like getting bored with Sonic 2's debug mode. It doesn't happen.

You say that Nintendo's manipulating everyone... I'm glad that while we may be on different sides of the Brawl/Melee debate, you at least see that... Like I said, Sakurai got people who perfer Melee playing Brawl. Consistently. Almost to the point where the Brawl/Melee debate shouldn't even exist because the people who claim to hate Brawl play Brawl... honestly, that's the biggest hit to the argument, even if they're playing the game for money.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
It became apparent to me very quickly, however, that the game is floatier, and that you'd really have to figure out ways to eliminate your opponent quickly and consistently in this game...It's so ********. that's where the metagame hasn't truly developed yet, as there are still fights with characters running around with 150% damage. Once the edgeguard metagame gets better, matches will end quicker.
Sorry, but, this is where you're wrong. Brawl doesn't have an edgeguard metagame because the floaty gravity just allows you to float back AND with repeated airdodges... It seems apparent to me that you've no knowledge of Melee's metagame which is why you're saying such silly things. 150% DMG will be natural since that's how Brawl plays. Everyone will literally be heavier while in Melee, people usually died around 90-120% unless you got gimped. Oh yeah, there aren't any gimps in Brawl, btw.

Almost to the point where the Brawl/Melee debate shouldn't even exist because the people who claim to hate Brawl play Brawl... honestly, that's the biggest hit to the argument, even if they're playing the game for money.
That's not a hit to the argument if they hate Brawl and are playing it for money...This is a competitive forum anyway... LOL
It wasn't Sakurai's doing that got us, SWF, to play Brawl (unless you're some random casual player), it's the money we get from beating random Brawl noobs who keep feeding the tourney pots. Once they realize they're throwing their money away to a LUCK-BASED GAME, Brawl will die.

Cort's XESTICLE tourneys are a PRIME example of this.

Everyone, please, if you play competitively, STOP PLAYING BRAWL AND PLAY MELEE.

turbinator

Smash Cadet

SMG extremely simple? IMO its around the same difficulty as SM64 if you tried to get 120 stars. Also explain how Mario kart wii is easier. Beating the expert staff ghosts definitely aren't easy and mirror mode isn't exactly easy either. I'll give you Twilight princess though

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
SMG extremely simple? IMO its around the same difficulty as SM64 if you tried to get 120 stars. Also explain how Mario kart wii is easier. Beating the expert staff ghosts definitely aren't easy and mirror mode isn't exactly easy either. I'll give you Twilight princess though
He doesn't MKWii in that sense. Time Trials is competitively fine the way it is. I like them. (See me on Rainbow Road's online in the MKWii Channel).

He DOES mean MKWii being item-spammy and incredibly luck based. If you take 1st it's like taking a gamble hoping some ******** Blue Shell doesn't hit you. MKDS, MKDD, and MK64, in competitive terms, were a lot more skill-based.

Hell, the Blue Shell is easily dodgable by a Mini-Turbo in MKDD and it wasn't retardedly broken in MK64 like it was in the future games.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Sorry, but, this is where you're wrong. Brawl doesn't have an edgeguard metagame because the floaty gravity just allows you to float back AND with repeated airdodges... It seems apparent to me that you've no knowledge of Melee's metagame which is why you're saying such silly things. 150% DMG will be natural since that's how Brawl plays. Everyone will literally be heavier while in Melee, people usually died around 90-120% unless you got gimped. Oh yeah, there aren't any gimps in Brawl, btw.
Clearly there are gimps in Brawl... and an edgeguarding metagame does exist, it's just not heavily exploited the way it could be done, and since the game has only been out for 5-6 months, why should it? Even with the airdodging, the process of edgeguarding still exists, and because the game is floatier, you SHOULD go out to edgeguard to make recovery as hellified as you possibly can.

That's not a hit to the argument if they hate Brawl and are playing it for money...This is a competitive forum anyway... LOL
It wasn't Sakurai's doing that got us, SWF, to play Brawl (unless you're some random casual player), it's the money we get from beating random Brawl noobs who keep feeding the tourney pots. Once they realize they're throwing their money away to a LUCK-BASED GAME, Brawl will die.

Cort's XESTICLE tourneys are a PRIME example of this.

Everyone, please, if you play competitively, STOP PLAYING BRAWL AND PLAY MELEE.
Okay, so the pro plays Brawl even though he/she likes Melee more because there's money in it, and basically, it's Smash no matter which way you slice it, and since you've sold your souls to play Smash, it's one of the only ways you make money (besides a side job if you have one). That makes sense, since you CAN make careers off of competitive gaming these days. HOWEVER, with playing a game you claim to not like, you've officially turned your career into a job, as you don't necessarily like what you're doing anymore. I agree, if you play Smash competitively and you SWEAR that Melee is the better game, then you should play what your heart believes is the better game.

However, Brawl's not luck based. If this was the case, then pros wouldn't be beating random noobs all the time because the luck factor would have them winning a tournament or so (although I'm guessing you've probably been to a tourney where a no name won everything and you're pissed about it... wait... is that what's making everyone mad? Hmmm...).

Edit: in MKWii, with flying blue shells that have this unnecessary explosion on contact, you can't even hover around 2nd place too safely... where's my Super Mario Kart on the SNES? (N64 MK is good too, obviously)

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
People who do things just for money, not for what they like are called sell outs.

Don't be sell outs.

And for people who think Brawl has to die for Melee to come back are fooling themselves. The competitive community can go back to Melee, and for the sake of all the "debating" they should. The casual community, who probably doesn't know there is a competitive scene, will not care/know and continue doing what they want to do. This means that both games will *gasp* exist at the same time!

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Clearly there are gimps in Brawl... and an edgeguarding metagame does exist, it's just not heavily exploited the way it could be done, and since the game has only been out for 5-6 months, why should it? Even with the airdodging, the process of edgeguarding still exists, and because the game is floatier, you SHOULD go out to edgeguard to make recovery as hellified as you possibly can.
That's the thing. If they try to edgeguard you THEY'LL JUST AIRDODGE. Brawl's is so simple. There will be no development.

Okay, so the pro plays Brawl even though he/she likes Melee more because there's money in it, and basically, it's Smash no matter which way you slice it, and since you've sold your souls to play Smash, it's one of the only ways you make money (besides a side job if you have one).
Okay. And? I'm sure a lot of people on this site have jobs/aren't able to get one because they're too young.

That makes sense, since you CAN make careers off of competitive gaming these days. HOWEVER, with playing a game you claim to not like, you've officially turned your career into a job, as you don't necessarily like what you're doing anymore.
So? Let people live the way they want. And some people like their jobs. Stop being presumptuous.

However, Brawl's not luck based.
yes, i am saying just that, that brawl IS highly luck compared to melee

trading hits, random air dodge to the ground with no landing lag, random tripping, which can happen during DDD chain grabs, air tripping as well, there's tons more luck in brawl than there is in melee, and far less guaranteed things. You don't anticipate the moves of noobs, they do random things, in melee you just **** them by being better, but if they are a campy noob, they can still do decent by just being a shield camping ***got. Melee has infinite room for improvement, without even needing to play gay. Brawl, if you play gay and boring, you have a SIGNIFICANTLY bigger advantage, and that's extremely boring and ********. Lack of things you can master makes the game less fun with less replay value, which are things melee offered to a huge extreme.

You can do things randomly and not get punished for it nearly as bad as you would in melee, and that's a downgrade for competitive potential, where the best player isn't as guaranteed to win, especially in 3 stock matches. You suicide once it's over, in melee comebacks were easy cuz of death combos and stuff, brawl is more leveled out for the little kiddies, and that's more unfair for the better players. All the advanced tactics aren't hard to do, like shield cancel, it just takes getting used to, and it's extremely shallow, anyone can do it, and it's also really really really campy and that makes the game not fun. Brawl wasn't designed to be competitive, Sakurai did this on purpose, stop trying to make it competitive. Actually, that's what I'm trying to do, but it's not working, so just go back to melee, everyone's fine with that.

I don't want to argue about this, NOTHING anyone says will change or persuade my opinion at ALL unless I convince myself that with my own observations which hasn't even become semi close to happening. I'll play brawl cuz everyone else is, that's the only reason.

Blind predictions are the perfect way to describe the game.
I'm done arguing.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Marko .... you werent good at melee... i dont know who u are and therefore you weren't good, so stop using that to back your case. I see nothing but noobs backing up brawl. To play to your own argument... melee became great after years and years of discovering new techs and implementing them into the gameplay. So how can u even begin to compare brawl the melee's prowess this early in the games life. Right now melee destroys brawl hands down in every aspect. I want brawl to be great but its not looking good. In 2 or3 years IF and this is a big IF, if brawl somehow gains some sort of universal tech and the gameplay becomes deepers nad more advanced then posssible the game can begin to compare to melee. But until that day comes if it ever comes... dont even think to compare brawl, the nerfed down melee, to the great ssbm.... it is just baseless. The game was made after sakurai intentionally took out all the fast and competetive aspects of melee... remember that.... he took them out with the sole purpose of making the game less competetive.... repeat that in your head. So once again at this point dont even try to compare the games... its no contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom