• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Those Who Favor Brawl, Let's Finally Admit It...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
You know what I think the problem is. There is a fundamental difference in thinking. This difference is that the melee people (especially on this thread) think that if you like Brawl you are obviously a noob. Therefore your opinions don't matter, nothing you say can have fact behind, and if you do say something that is really truly a valid point, or something you say is your own idea, a melee person will respond with some kind of remark for no reason. You could say "I like Brawl's music" and the counter argument is "WELL GAMEPLAY SUCKS SO MUSIC DOESN'T COUNT NOOB!" Are you kidding me?

And then someone says something like "I want you to show melee respect". Are you joking? You want to go around, argue with everyone even if they just say "I like Brawl, I think it's fun, that's enough for me" pretty much implying that they just don't "get it" because of the reasons listed above and then want some respect for what you choose to do when you won't give anyone else respect? And, has anyone ever physically stopped you from playing melee? Did a brawl player run up to your gamecube, kick the disk out of your hand, throw the GC out the window and force you to play brawl?

It's no ones fault that melee is at a low level of play right now. Seriously. Say whatever you want, but no one is personalyl responsible for what is going on with the games. And since the "brawl noobs" obviously know nothing of melee you won't miss us right? So go on with your game, have your fun, we'll do the same.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Sorry if I'm misinterpretting you, but what I'm getting out of what you just said is that because I've never been to a tournament, despite the fact that I've played all 3 Smash games, and have been very persistent about pursuing better tactics and improving my overall ability in each of the 3 games, my opinion on which game is better is entirely null and void?
Change "Never been to a tournament" to "have no knowledge of competitive Melee, it's community, and it's history" then that statement will be true.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
You know what I think the problem is. There is a fundamental difference in thinking. This difference is that the melee people (especially on this thread) think that if you like Brawl you are obviously a noob. Therefore your opinions don't matter, nothing you say can have fact behind, and if you do say something that is really truly a valid point, or something you say is your own idea, a melee person will respond with some kind of remark for no reason. You could say "I like Brawl's music" and the counter argument is "WELL GAMEPLAY SUCKS SO MUSIC DOESN'T COUNT NOOB!" Are you kidding me?

And then someone says something like "I want you to show melee respect". Are you joking? You want to go around, argue with everyone even if they just say "I like Brawl, I think it's fun, that's enough for me" pretty much implying that they just don't "get it" because of the reasons listed above and then want some respect for what you choose to do when you won't give anyone else respect? And, has anyone ever physically stopped you from playing melee? Did a brawl player run up to your gamecube, kick the disk out of your hand, throw the GC out the window and force you to play brawl?

It's no ones fault that melee is at a low level of play right now. Seriously. Say whatever you want, but no one is personalyl responsible for what is going on with the games. And since the "brawl noobs" obviously know nothing of melee you won't miss us right? So go on with your game, have your fun, we'll do the same.
DISCLAIMER: Brawl noob posting. The following information is unimportant.

Evon, you just don't get it. We all suck at life. We like Brawl. We should be put on a deserted island somewhere and nuked. The whole lot of us. That's about all we're good for.

There's no "fun" to be had playing Smash. Smash is for tournaments. You can't reasonably say [opinion] "Brawl is better than Melee" [/opinion] because the general majority of COMPETITIVE players agree that Melee's COMPETITIVE scene was better.

What the heck is this "fun" thing, anyway? Some new AT?

Change "Never been to a tournament" to "have no knowledge of competitive Melee, it's community, and it's history" then that statement will be true.
Could you kindly explain to me the difference? I'd assume most people who fit into that set of criteria have probably been to a tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong.

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Im not gonna base a game off of someones opinion but my own. Especially M2K's. Im tired of his fanboys, that ni**a like 16 years old with adult fanboys.

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
Hehe, this thread is full of funny quotes.

But remember, I don't get it so you can disregard that comment!

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
There's a difference between "I like Brawl better because" and "Brawl is better because". Those who use the first example are expressing why they, personally, like Brawl more than Melee. Those who use the second example are presenting their opinion as a fact. I am arguing the second.

You, seem to be the one who doesn't understand. Most people who argue with Brawlers do so because Brawlers have made some blanket statement as to why, keep in mind they are not stating an opinion, Brawl is better than Melee. That's when the aguments start. Since most Brawlers do not respect competitive Melee they feel the need to constantly attack it by saying stuff like "Brawl is better, it has less glitches." That is what has to stop.

Most people who prefer Melee play it instead, however, they do not like to face hostility whenever they try to post on the forums. No matter what, bulit up hostility isn't good, because it'll eventally lead to an argument. As long as Brawlers spite competitive Melee, there will be arguments. As long as Meleers spite competitive Brawl, there will be arguments.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Well, you see SirKibble, you lack the understanding (or at least that one post conveyed a lack of understanding) that competitors have FUN competing. There's nothing wrong with that. I have fun competing too. I just have more fun competing in Brawl than in Smash. Not because the game is "watered-down," "nerfed," or any other amount of insults, but because I like how the game feels. It's better than Melee. There.

And like I said, but everyone fails to acknowledge, I do understand the competitive Melee community, I have been to a few Melee tournaments and have felt that aura that everyone has when their about to play to win, and it's all good. But Brawl is better.

And I think it's soooo cool that this thread has now changed 3 sigs. Awesome.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Well, you see, you lack the understanding that competitors have FUN competing. There's nothing wrong with that. I have fun competing too. I just have more fun competing in Brawl than in Smash. Not because the game is "watered-down," "nerfed," or any other amount of insults, but because I like how the game feels. It's better than Melee. There.

And like I said, but everyone fails to acknowledge, I do understand the competitive Melee community, I have been to a few Melee tournaments and have felt that aura that everyone has when their about to play to win, and it's all good. But Brawl is better.
See, the problem is, you can't say that.

Despite the fact that what you're saying is clearly opinion, the fact that you didn't say "I think" means you are presenting what you consider a fact, whether or not you had any intention of doing so.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
DISCLAIMER: Brawl noob posting. The following information is unimportant.

Evon, you just don't get it. We all suck at life. We like Brawl. We should be put on a deserted island somewhere and nuked. The whole lot of us. That's about all we're good for.
Maybe while we're being deployed, we can play some Brawl? It's the last time we'd be able to play it. While we're on that island they're gonna make us stay there for a year and make us learn how to Wavedash and L-Cancel, because since we play Brawl we can't do that at all.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Maybe while we're being deployed, we can play some Brawl? It's the last time we'd be able to play it. While we're on that island they're gonna make us stay there for a year and make us learn how to Wavedash and L-Cancel, because since we play Brawl we can't do that at all.
I'm all for us playing some Brawl, but no, we couldn't possibly learn to Wavedash and L-Cancel, since those techniques aren't in Brawl, and we'll only be taking every copy of Brawl in the world with us. We couldn't possibly sacrifice a poor copy of Melee to this island as it's being nuked. And we wouldn't want to risk giving such a work of art to such savages as us, anyway. We wouldn't appreciate it. I mean, we might not even play it competitively.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
There's no "fun" to be had playing Smash. Smash is for tournaments. You can't reasonably say [opinion] "Brawl is better than Melee" [/opinion] because the general majority of COMPETITIVE players agree that Melee's COMPETITIVE scene was better.
No, you cannot say that, because that implies that your statement is fact. If you're going to post an opinion, word it in a way that sounds like it's an opinion. Don't put "Brawl is beter than Melee because..." instead put, " I prefer Brawl to Melee because...". And also, don't put any insulting or degrading terms in your opinion. For example: I like Brawl because it got rid of those glitches that ruined Melee. WRONG. Don't do that, it'll set off an argument. Instead put: I like Brawl because I didn't like some of the advanced techs in Melee. ACCEPTABLE

Could you kindly explain to me the difference? I'd assume most people who fit into that set of criteria have probably been to a tournament. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Being part of the smash community doesn't necessarily mean you have to go to tournaments. Anyone who is an active member at SWF (or any place that incorperates the national smash scene) is part of the community. Everything you learn here is incorperated in the history and experience. I, myself, have only been to 2 real tournaments. I'd like to go to more, but I don't have many transportation options. My first real tournament was in Jan 08, but I have been a part of the smash community since Nov. 06

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
There's a difference between "I like Brawl better because" and "Brawl is better because". Those who use the first example are expressing why they, personally, like Brawl more than Melee. Those who use the second example are presenting their opinion as a fact. I am arguing the second.

You, seem to be the one who doesn't understand. Most people who argue with Brawlers do so because Brawlers have made some blanket statement as to why, keep in mind they are not stating an opinion, Brawl is better than Melee. That's when the aguments start. Since most Brawlers do not respect competitive Melee they feel the need to constantly attack it by saying stuff like "Brawl is better, it has less glitches." That is what has to stop.

Most people who prefer Melee play it instead, however, they do not like to face hostility whenever they try to post on the forums. No matter what, bulit up hostility isn't good, because it'll eventally lead to an argument. As long as Brawlers spite competitive Melee, there will be arguments. As long as Meleers spite competitive Brawl, there will be arguments.
At the first thing. You are sort of right. Sort of. I would think that you can assume someone is posting an opinion most of the time if someone doesn't isn't backing up with tons of examples and such. And, even people who have said "I think" have gotten the "holier than though melee assault".

At the second thing. If it's really that important to you then you should post away. I will say that most of the posts I have seen by you have been very much in the realm of logical argument and not just attacking people so I honestly can't say you're doing anything silly.

At the last thing, can I see a thread where a melee person has posted that they like melee and has been torn apart? I really just have never seen it. I usually see melee players come onto a brawl thread and post. I have seen posts where people say "melee is better than brawl because" and people have had stupid posts on both sides. But I mean, a thread where no one is attacking anyone, just stating an opinion and it gets attacked.

From just reading your last post you want this to be very much "PC".... that will be tough on an internet gaming forum.

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
You see kids Brawl is like jerking off. There is only one player which is your hand *Snake* while sex *melee* has the lady part *fox* the bung hole *falco* the mouth *marth* theboobs *shiek* and many other hard to do but rewarding entrances *captian falcon, ice climbers, luigi etc*. Jerking off is only an imitation of sex *melee*. The only way you can approach ultimate pleasure is by using your hand while sex *melee* you can approach with variouis styles like doggy *wavedash*.

After unleashing your load from jacking off *brawl* you feel very tired and feel guilty about yourself. On the otherhand with sex *melee* you keep going because its fun and you can do new things to releave u of ur tiredness.
The risk and reward of sex *melee* is great because you risk getting herpies *getting hit* but have many options to avoid herpies like wearing condums *l canceling to reduce lag* and pulling out before you.....unleash your juices *moonwalk with captain falcon out of the way, lmfao* and thus getting the pleasure of a climax. Beating your meat has none of these properties.

and finally

More people jerk off *play brawl* than have sex *play melee* because you lack the skill to get a girl *get good at melee* so you settle on beating your meat.

Believe me THERE IS MUCH MORE i could of added
Obviously i prefer melee over brawl, but you know sometimes you gotta beat your meat and get good at it. Play both people
reply plx

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'm all for us playing some Brawl, but no, we couldn't possibly learn to Wavedash and L-Cancel, since those techniques aren't in Brawl, and we'll only be taking every copy of Brawl in the world with us. We couldn't possibly sacrifice a poor copy of Melee to this island as it's being nuked. And we wouldn't want to risk giving such a work of art to such savages as us, anyway. We wouldn't appreciate it. I mean, we might not even play it competitively.
Maybe it's not such a good idea. If we brought Melee I'd have to learn how to Desynch and Wave Smash too...My tiny Brawl Brain can't handle it. I mean I've been maining the Ice Climbers for six years, but I like Brawl so I suck. You can't learn techniques in Brawl. It's unthinkable.

Well, you see, you lack the understanding that competitors have FUN competing. There's nothing wrong with that. I have fun competing too. I just have more fun competing in Brawl than in Smash. Not because the game is "watered-down," "nerfed," or any other amount of insults, but because I like how the game feels. It's better than Melee. There.

Here you go with these self confirmations, which really don't mean anything.

Basically, in your opinion, Melee players don't have fun because they aren't playing Brawl and they want to play to win. Essentially, when you participate in any competition you necessarily need the drive to win, but you can have fun competing too.

We find Melee fun because you we like that we can compete with opponents and gauge our skill against one another. Not one player plays alike. You can't just define fun by your definition and think that we can't have fun. We don't play Brawl for fun because it's limiting, and there is essentially nothing to look forward to. And don't even give me that "Melee's been out for 7 years" excuse. Find your own definition of fun.

And please don't start playing kiss ***, I couldn't honestly believe that you were in good as melee as you say you are. Brawl is dry, and for some reason you feel obligated to defend the game when you that you are being limited. I'm not trying to corner anyone, but you honestly can't just be biased about the situations. I like Brawl too, but only because I have someone to play it with.

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
You see kids Brawl is like jerking off. There is only one player which is your hand *Snake* while sex *melee* has the lady part *fox* the bung hole *falco* the mouth *marth* theboobs *shiek* and many other hard to do but rewarding entrances *captian falcon, ice climbers, luigi etc*. Jerking off is only an imitation of sex *melee*. The only way you can approach ultimate pleasure is by using your hand while sex *melee* you can approach with variouis styles like doggy *wavedash*.

After unleashing your load from jacking off *brawl* you feel very tired and feel guilty about yourself. On the otherhand with sex *melee* you keep going because its fun and you can do new things to releave u of ur tiredness.
The risk and reward of sex *melee* is great because you risk getting herpies *getting hit* but have many options to avoid herpies like wearing condums *l canceling to reduce lag* and pulling out before you.....unleash your juices *moonwalk with captain falcon out of the way, lmfao* and thus getting the pleasure of a climax. Beating your meat has none of these properties.

and finally

More people jerk off *play brawl* than have sex *play melee* because you lack the skill to get a girl *get good at melee* so you settle on beating your meat.

Obviously i prefer melee over brawl, but you know sometimes you gotta beat your meat and get good at it. Play both people
reply plx
This post is highly erotic... maybe? Why does the guy who does the math analogy get flamed and this not?

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
At the last thing, can I see a thread where a melee person has posted that they like melee and has been torn apart? I really just have never seen it. I usually see melee players come onto a brawl thread and post. I have seen posts where people say "melee is better than brawl because" and people have had stupid posts on both sides. But I mean, a thread where no one is attacking anyone, just stating an opinion and it gets attacked.
This is the truth. I wish that Melee players would stop attacking Brawl without cause; I'm guilty of it sometimes too. Most of the arguments started are started by Melee players without unjustly. The reason they do so is because they know that on average, 3/4 Brawlers has hostile views about Melee. That doesn't make it right, but I can see why it happens.

I'm thinking about making some kind of Brawl/Melee peace agreement where everyone who agrees with it acknowledge that that respect whatever game a Brawler/Meleer plays for whatever reasons. However, I suck at formulating my thoughts and it'd probably take a few weeks to finish without help >_>.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
Well, you see SirKibble, you lack the understanding (or at least that one post conveyed a lack of understanding) that competitors have FUN competing. There's nothing wrong with that. I have fun competing too. I just have more fun competing in Brawl than in Smash. Not because the game is "watered-down," "nerfed," or any other amount of insults, but because I like how the game feels. It's better than Melee. There.

And I think it's soooo cool that this thread has now changed 3 sigs. Awesome.
If competitors have fun competing, then spectators should have fun watching matches. And everyone knows that Melee matches are undeniably more exciting to watch.

To play Melee but like Brawl better? lawl, someone jumped on the Brawl Bandwagon..

PD4FR

Smash Ace
This topic is ridiculous. Just because you like Brawl or Melee better than the other, doesn't mean you need to explain why you think Brawl is better than Melee.(that was an example, it could be vice-versa.) This is all opinion. Some people like Melee better, but that in no way proves that Melee is better. Same with Brawl.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
No, you cannot say that, because that implies that your statement is fact. If you're going to post an opinion, word it in a way that sounds like it's an opinion. Don't put "Brawl is beter than Melee because..." instead put, " I prefer Brawl to Melee because...". And also, don't put any insulting or degrading terms in your opinion. For example: I like Brawl because it got rid of those glitches that ruined Melee. WRONG. Don't do that, it'll set off an argument. Instead put: I like Brawl because I didn't like some of the advanced techs in Melee. ACCEPTABLE
I really don't think "I think" or "I like" should have to be placed at the beginning of every opinion stated anywhere. I think we, as humans, are intellectually capable enough to be able to figure out what is fact, and what is opinion, but maybe that's just me.

Being part of the smash community doesn't necessarily mean you have to go to tournaments. Anyone who is an active member at SWF (or any place that incorperates the national smash scene) is part of the community. Everything you learn here is incorperated in the history and experience. I, myself, have only been to 2 real tournaments. I'd like to go to more, but I don't have many transportation options. My first real tournament was in Jan 08, but I have been a part of the smash community since Nov. 06
All right. I think that's a fair enough response on that topic. I'll take that. Thank you.

Maybe it's not such a good idea. If we brought Melee I'd have to learn how to Desynch and Wave Smash too...My tiny Brawl Brain can't handle it. I mean I've been maining the Ice Climbers for six years, but I like Brawl so I suck. You can't learn techniques in Brawl. It's unthinkable.

Too true, too true...

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace

and finally

reply plx
:laugh:
you win this thread

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=164320

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
The information in this post tells me otherwise. You base your understanding on having been to tournaments, which is wrong. You think that "playong to win" is the competitive Melee, which is wrong.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I really don't think "I think" or "I like" should have to be placed at the beginning of every opinion stated anywhere. I think we, as humans, are intellectually capable enough to be able to figure out what is fact, and what is opinion, but maybe that's just me.
That would normally be true, but it's not when people are expecting hostility in a topic. People just know that somebody in the topic has hostile feelings toward Melee, and the words "Brawl is better than Melee" is like a trigger that sets off an argument. In order to prevent an argument, avoid using words that may be viewed as offensive.

rhan

Smash Hero
PD4FR(SMARTEST PERSON EVER!) said:
This topic is ridiculous. Just because you like Brawl or Melee better than the other, doesn't mean you need to explain why you think Brawl is better than Melee.(that was an example, it could be vice-versa.) This is all opinion. Some people like Melee better, but that in no way proves that Melee is better. Same with Brawl.
Agreed. Everyone is entitled to thier OWN opinion. With that said, I like Melee better. Does that mean I don't play Brawl? Of course not. Everyone should just stop explaining each game and get on with thier lives. No matter how many times you explain it, people won't care. They will defend thier game until they die. No matter how factual you are. If you like Melee. Play Melee. If you like Brawl. Play Brawl. It's that simple.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
That would normally be true, but it's not when people are expecting hostility in a topic. People just know that somebody in the topic has hostile feelings toward Melee, and the words "Brawl is better than Melee" is like a trigger that sets off an argument. In order to prevent an argument, avoid using words that may be viewed as offensive.
See, you're right about that, but that's not the way it should be. I think too many people wait for and jump at the opportunity to call someone out on something like that. All too often, too many people are just waiting to get all over somebody and take shots at their opinion. Someone saying "Brawl is better than Melee" or vice-versa shouldn't be an atomic bomb. I know it normally is, but I think we can all do our part to reduce that effect.

EvonJ

Smash Cadet
Agreed. Everyone is entitled to thier OWN opinion. With that said, I like Melee better. Does that mean I don't play Brawl? Of course not. Everyone should just stop explaining each game and get on with thier lives. No matter how many times you explain it, people won't care. They will defend thier game until they die. No matter how factual you are. If you like Melee. Play Melee. If you like Brawl. Play Brawl. It's that simple.
Do people do the
+1 on this forum for supporting a post?

Cause if so then
+1

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
This.

+100 Respect

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Of course, that's the way it should be, but that's not the way it is. And posting that here won't change anyone's mind. Don't try to solve a problem by telling people idealistic views of how things should be. We all know how things should be, but for whatever reason, it's not that way, and it isn't going to change in the blink of an eye.

BIG C

Smash Master
it's funny to me that like 7/8ths of the ppl in here defending Brawl are '08 joiners. and they say they have been to tournies and/or are good at melee. With like no proof and if you joined in '08 the only melee tourny you have prolly been to was at gamestop or in your friend's basement. for without smashboards there are no tournaments.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
The information in this post tells me otherwise. You base your understanding on having been to tournaments, which is wrong. You think that "playong to win" is the competitive Melee, which is wrong.
Umm... isn't "playing to win" the competitive... anything?

and finally

reply plx
Ummm... no.

If you compare sex skills to Melee tactics, then maybe you should stop playing Smash altogether and concentrate on the more important things in life... like sex.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
That may be, but he probably also means getting to know the community as well and making friends. And then, everyone works together to professing their skill in Melee.

Ummm... no.

If you compare sex skills to Melee tactics, then maybe you should stop playing Smash altogether and concentrate on the more important things in life... like sex.
Don't try personal attacks.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Actually, I was sick with Fox in Melee. But I know that Brawl is better than the current 2nd best game in the world, Melee.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Sure...

Casually
1) More characters.
2) More items.
3) More ways to play by yourself.
4) Custom fights with special Brawl.
5) Better music.
6) The Final Smash.

Competitively
1) More characters (i.e. more to learn to make sure you don't get owned by ignorance)
2) Aerial Combat (i.e. the floatiness... leads to the need for a precise air game... PS: air dodging getting on your nerves? Mindgame a fake attack to bait an airdodge, then punish.)
3) Your edgeguard has to be even more devious since it's so easy to recover.
4) Lack of hitstun? Apply mindgamed attack strings. Predict what your opponent will do, and you'll look like a KungFu master (of course, by no means can you even compare any Smash to kungfu...)

Someone mentioned a banned Brawl character, and stated that having a character that's banned makes a game non-competitive. Really? So I guess Super Turbo isn't competitive because there's two characters that can generally destroy the rest of the cast and are basically unofficially banned, right?
casually i won't disagree with, but you should remember that although you provide reasons that you think help to prove Brawl is better than Melee, your statement (Brawl > Melee) is in fact an opinion so trying to prove it is futile. or are you suggesting that an opinion can be right?

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman

Ummm... no.

im comparing the entire game *well you know gameplay wise*

some of the stuff i said was downright unfair but i was trying to be funny, but some of the stuff i ment like, the risk and reward system is better in melee than in brawl
does that mean melee is better? to me yes, do i still play brawl yes

Brawl is different enough for me to play it
Make an arguement about risk and reward and your sure to lose not because of my arguing skills *which is zero and im not being modest*
1 word combo a few extra words melee doesnt have a ridiculous auto grab edge *which i can live with but i wanna complain more*

Seriously Charman lies to you, HAVING LESS ISNT HAVING MORE

and im not talking about characters, its gameplay baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom