• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Tap Jump, or not to Tap Jump?

• Thread starter Deleted member 269706
  • Start date

Do you use tap jump?

• Yes

Votes: 81 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 249 68.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 32 8.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 269706

So I switched my tap jump (which is tapping up on the circle pad in order to jump), off recently to see how it worked for me. I can't decide if I'm willing to adjust or not. I wanna know how you guys play, and if you don't mind adding on why you use that method. All opinions welcome, don't forget the poll.
If this is in the wrong sub-forum, I apologize, please move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tap Jump off is usually superior for competitive play because it allows you to execute short hopped aerials more easily and more reliably, along with other stuff, like making it easier to do UTilts without risking an unwanted jump and making tilting your shield a lot easier

That's what people say anyway. I play with it off out of preference so

Last edited:

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
^Pretty much the same reason. Plus, for the 3DS Version, it's less tension on the circle pad. Plus, for me it's easier to jump and combo.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm thinking of putting it back on so I can upB out of sheild easier. Its all personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Kohak

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't use tap jump. Too many characters have great utilts, and I want to be able to execute them as instinctively as I would a smash attack

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm thinking of putting it back on so I can upB out of sheild easier. Its all personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer here.
I'm used to L=jump from Falco in Brawl (Instant Aerial Phantasm), so I just have tap jump off and hit L+Up+B instead. Works just as well!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I turn it off because otherwise I run the risk of jumping instead of doing utilt or usmash, or double jumping at the same time I uair.

LyonDRC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LyonDRC
It's all about personal preference. I personally don't use it since it would sometimes mess up my up tilts.

Chompjil

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chompjil
3DS FC
0387-8858-0021
Besides preference, i'm usually meticulous enough to pull off a Utilt (not as much) and USmash with tap jump on, it also makes recovery easier on me for some reason

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
The basic differences between the two are:

- Tap Jump On makes it to where OoS Options are easier to perform.

- Tap Jump Off makes it to where Utilt, Usmash, and sometimes Uair (such as falling w/Uair) are easier to perform.

Honestly it just comes down to preference. Though if you value one option more than the other (or if a particular character you are playing might favor one option over the other), then you may want to try that one. But ultimately, you should choose the one that feels the most comfortable to you.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
On awful 3ds controls, tap jump on is necessary for me to be able to usmash without thinking about my inputs due to the input leniency with pre-jump (circle pad is just so awful; I have to focus to dsmash which is ridiculous and really inhibits my game, couldn't play at all if I had to think about usmashing just as hard). Tap jump is probably generally inferior on Wii U though, and while I'm really used to having it on mostly because I don't like having a name tag, I may rethink that when the Wii U version drops.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
I switched to tap jump off with this game after having always used it since the N64 days. It wasn't easy, but I realized that it's just much easier to do utilts and usmashes without accidentally jumping if you have it off.

My tip for making the switch is to actually leave tap jump on for a while. I probably left it on for a good week or so after I decided I was going to make the switch. I just constantly kept a mental note to use the button instead of the stick to jump. Obviously you won't immediately reap the benefits of having tap jump off, but leaving it on sort of as "training wheels" means that if old habits kick in and you use the stick, it's not a big deal. A lot less frustrating than going off it cold turkey and falling to your death when you go into panic mode. :p This method made the transition easier for me and the switch was definitely worth it imo as the controls feel a lot more intuitive now.

Last edited:

Volya

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheVolya
IMO Tap jump = death of utilt.
I don't think it's worthy to allow tapjump for better aerial stuff when you almost remove an entire attack (utilt)

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
I turn it off.

If I want to Up B out of shield, I'll hit Y first before Up and B.

Last edited:

IzunaDroppuh

Smash Rookie
NNID
InfamouzShadow
3DS FC
2852-8054-4919
Wow I didn't know you could turn it off. My GRE ninja just got so much better

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
For Yoshi for me at least it's a must to have it off. Otherwise you risk accidently using your jump when you UP B recover with eggs. It's best to save your jump for last to abuse it's super armor.

Basically any character that you want to UP B in the air without jumping will benefit with tap jump off.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
One of the first things I did was turn tap jump off. Makes it easier to do short hops and it won't put me into a jump when I'm trying to get an U-Tilt off, so it definitely helps to just not have it.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Keep practicing with it off, and tap jump off will take you far. makes most moves in the game a lot easier.

Jelani Thompson

Smash Rookie
NNID
jelani435
3DS FC
3840-7909-0481
Warning Received
I use it depending on the situation.

Keep practicing with it off, and tap jump off will take you far. makes most moves in the game a lot easier.
With floaty characters, it can be a bit more difficult though lol.

I don't think it's worthy to allow tapjump for better aerial stuff when you almost remove an entire attack (utilt)
It isn't that hard. Just slightly tilt. That's why it's called a tilt lool.

Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deadlybroth

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rngo1214
3DS FC
3265-5101-5866
I keep it on, simply for Oos stuff. It's really not that bad, every single Melee and 64 player have no choice but to use it, and how often do you see an accidental jump in tournaments? It's also a great incentive to practice moving the circle pad just slightly to perform tilts better.

Elegant

Smash Apprentice
Use whatever feels comfortable. I personally prefer tap jump as it makes some techniques easier, and I've learned how to Utilt without jumping consistently.

Green Spiny

Smash Cadet
It's personal preference, nothing more. You can reliably Utilt with tap jump on, it just takes a little practice is all (and is much easier on a console controller). Personally I use the Y button for short hops and tap jump otherwise. I think tap jump makes rising Uairs easier, but it can make falling Uairs difficult if you still have a jump.

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I have it off for the 3ds, because having no c-stick makes a lot of things harder (falling up airs, SH uairs without double jumping), etc. For the Wii U version, I'm thinking I'll turn it back on for ease of OoS options.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
In the past I've always mained Ness. I loved his Uair but when I would try to use it off of a short hop or something I'd end up wasting my second jump. Likewise I didn't have the patience at the time to learn to Utilt properly so when I wanted to juggle with some Utilts I'd end up jumping instead. That had to go. So the first chance I got I turned tap to jump off and I've never regretted it.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
wat how

I keep tap jump off for the 3ds because I don't want too much tension on my circle pad.
When I play on the WiiU, I'll keep tap jump on so it stays consistent with when I play Melee. Otherwise it will throw me off.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I use tap jump for full jumps, I find it easier to shorthop with a button.

D

Deleted member 269706

I've kept it off and did some online matches. I adapted quicker than I thought I would. Honestly, it barely even changes my play style that much. Might end up changing back, might not, we'll see later.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
The key is that tap jump on/off makes some techniques easier, but not impossible. So with that said, it makes sense to say preference. My hope is that people don't go around judging people's ability because they play with it on or off.

I keep tap jump on.

Edit: Also, I voted the wrong selection :[

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
It's mostly preference, but I play with it off. Makes Utilts and Usmashes a lot easier (which is especially useful for me against people who spam rolls), and I can do shorthop aerials and falling Uairs much more consistently without double jumping by accident. In project M, I also personally find using a button the ideal way to DJC.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I've never liked tap jump. In the other games it's no big deal, but in Smash 3DS it's almost a must to have tap jump off for any character with a good Up-Smash, Up-tilt or a good Up-B attack on the ground (that's at least half the roster.) I just can't do tap jump, it made playing the demo a pain sometimes.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Here's something I always thought interesting about up-tilts and tap jump. With tap jump off, if you smash your stick up and then press attack, it will still register an up smash. I usually assumed the issue with up-tilt is that players are unable to do it immediately on command, which with tap jump on or off, the fastest way is still to slightly push the stick up and press attack otherwise you still get a registered up smash.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
you might need tap jump for short hops especially against rosalina and luma, depending on the character you use. But if you can do it comfortably and fast without the tap jump, them by all means its all up to you.

I use tap jump and without.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
If you like using your up air often, it might be best to keep it on, though there have been times where it didn't do what I wanted it to do. :/

N7Kopper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
N7Kopper
3DS FC
2895-9534-7967
I don't understand the appeal of Tap Jump - tilts are fiddly enough as it is, especially on a Circle Pad.
I do, however, have Jump on B, and Special on Y for classic SNES-style pads. It really helps on that standardised format, having my attacks be to the left and the right of my at-rest, which is Jump.

GCN controller is all about the defaults, though. Gotta have that sexy setup.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I've started binding R to jump and using that to up B out of shield with tap jump off.

In Brawl, tap jump on let you doublejump out of spikes with constant attempts that succeed on the very first frame it's possible, while tap jump off required you to wait and time the jump button perfectly, because pressing it too early would punish you and remove your ability to double jump. I don't know if that is in Smash 4 or not.

Launcecraft

Smash Rookie
I use Tap Jump because I'm used to it; though NO Tap Jump is perfectly fine too, especially in the competitive scene.

Top Bottom