• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Tap Jump, or not to Tap Jump?

• Thread starter Deleted member 269706
  • Start date

Do you use tap jump?

• Yes

Votes: 81 22.4%
  • No

Votes: 249 68.8%
  • Depends

Votes: 32 8.8%

• Total voters

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Worth noting that running U-smashes are easier with Tap Jump on as well.

Last edited:

Xanthous

Smash Cadet
I use tap jump on. It took a bit of practice but I don't have any issues using up tilts or short hopping. I've never really tried using tap jump off but honestly I don't really see why I should since I don't struggle with tap jump on.

fadgames

Smash Rookie
I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, an expert, but I sincerely feel that tap jump limits my ability to utilt and short hop with any sort of precision. Not that it's impossible if you've got it on, but I act better in my comfort zone when my inputs aren't necessarily shared.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I use tap jump because I've had it on for years plus Dash to uair is great with WFT and easy for me to do with Tap jump

Cool

Smash Journeyman
I play with it off.

I don't know, I just don't use it. I don't find it hard to pull of utilts with it on, as I play Melee, but if I could possibly jump instead of tilting, then why not eliminate the possibility of that mistake?

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I think it depends on character. A character such as Pikachu who thrives on short hop aerials and use of utilt damage racking is benefitted fron having it off. But there are definitely characters who benefit from it on. When I really want to use tap jump I typically have a character with multiple jumps selected since tap jump feels better on them.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
I accidently placed my vote as yes I use tap to jump...
I really can't stand using tap to jump especially with ness since it waste his double jump. It also makes you accidently lost your double jump if you're trying to DI away from an attack like little macs jab.
In smash 64 I would use tap to jump and the c button at the same time, so even as a little kid I didn't like it.

Roys0urBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spaghettios
3DS FC
4098-4533-7361
Tap jump off for me, one of the worst things imo. I end up mostly trying to do an uptilt and end up doing a jump, trying to do a upair and i end up jumping again. The first thing i do over a friends house or making a new name, Tap to jump off.

XL_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-5463-6168
I used to leave it on, but I'm experimenting with leaving it off and nothing much has really changed for me honestly. It's probably just up to personal preference, try both and see what works for you.

Riuvee

Smash Cadet
NNID
RiuAuraeon
3DS FC
4296-3444-5420
I've always kept mine off. Many times, I would be too afraid of going for an Uair cause I would always waste my 2nd jump (and not even knowing, no less...). My movements are too quick for such tactics, happens more than slipping into an U Smash when I wanted a Tilt. Sooo, personally, I need to ease up, but I much rather have my jumps button-powered compared to pressing Up anyday.

Top Bottom