• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Everyone Who Hates R.O.B.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
the title should be 'To Everyone WHO hates,' not whom. Whom is the subject of an object (to whom this letter is addressed, object is this letter), who is the object of a verb (to who do i address this letter?, do/address are the verbs)
God

R.O.B, bad concept pulled off extremely well, and I love him now. They did eveything JUST right with him, so w/e

Rob FTW

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
This is completely wrong on all levels.

Without ROB, the Nintendo wouldn't even be sold in retails stores anywhere, hence no popularity in the States. The fact that ROB was packed with the NES made retailers interested in selling the NES, as sci-fi and robots were all the rage around that time when it comes to toys.
Your basically saying saying the without the controller, there would be no video games. Hell, a TV for that matter.

Virtualboy for Brawl! =.=

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Your basically saying saying the without the controller, there would be no video games. Hell, a TV for that matter.

I was hoping to see Virtualboys as like turrets on mechanical sections of the SSE, myself (shooting red and black beams, no doubt). A shame. They pioneered Nintendos first fantastic faceplant. If Nintendo kept bringing the virual boy up (which they rarely do), it would reflect better on them and their sense of humor.

FlyinG ShoosteR

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B. was a complete waste of development time that could have been spent making a character we actually WANTED. sure he means a lot to the history of video games, but that doesn't mean he should be playable.

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. Is the new Game and Watch, the l337 love him, the not are saddened by their lack of furries.

...This gives me a great idea for a picture...

S2

Smash Lord
ROB was a scapegoat because many felt he took the place of a character they wanted.

ROB was a good choice for 2 reasons

1.) he's retro. And yeah, he has a cool story.

2.) They could use him as a full character and as an enemy in SSE.

Remember G&W was upsetting to people for a while at first too. He came out of nowhere. So did Ness (as many didn't play Earthbound or know what it was till after Smash64).

Once people play ROB and get used to him I think the hate will go down.

Kruton

Smash Ace

No man. He's not saying that at all. He's explaining the significance of R.O.B.
Go ahead and compare the importance of R.O.B. and the Virtual Boy. I dare you. R.O.B. was able to keep the NES alive long enough for Miyamoto to come into the console biz with Super Mario Brothers.

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
Okay. First off, stop hyping up Rob.

All I'm saying is; even though a piece of material was vital to a Nintendo systems growth development, then why "represent" and pretty much overrate it as much as Waluigi did by making cameos in sports games?

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord

All I'm saying is; even though a piece of material was vital to a Nintendo systems growth development, then why "represent" and pretty much overrate it as much as Waluigi did by making cameos in sports games?
Wait, what?

Misto-Roboto

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
MistoRoboto
3DS FC
3780-9079-0504
Switch FC
3912-9000-6921
I like ROB, but I didn't know about that little funfact. Cool.

ROB: "I'm not a hero! I'm not a savior! Forget what you know!"

(sorry couldn't resist a Mr. Roboto reference:lick:)
Indeed, who could ever miss a reference like that. You are full of awesome to me.

silver777

Smash Champion
In Akaneia, blasting every castle with a pink Land

I am not sure of what are you trying to say here, but are comparing Rob to Walwigi in term of appearance???

Didn't you ask yourself why Rob appears so much in different games, and even makes it as a playable character in two of the most famous nintendo ones???

Spellman

Smash Ace
I already knew this. First I was against him, then I thought about it. He is a nice addition.

Also, the reason playing cards do not get a mention, as they are cards, not Video games! R.O.B. and Game and Watch are as far back as they can go with mentions for Video game history.
Untrue, the original Nintendo card game was playable in Clubhouse Games for the Nintendo DS. Albeit, it's still a card game, it became part of a video game collection of classic popular board games.

I know I'm really reaching now at this point, but R.O.B. was really reaching as well considering how he began, although, you don't have to look very far back to see another R.O.B. reference (Mario Kart DS).

Not putting him down or anything, mind you! I'm pro-R.O.B.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
R.O.B. was a complete waste of development time that could have been spent making a character we actually WANTED. sure he means a lot to the history of video games, but that doesn't mean he should be playable.
Bias. Many people wanted him. Was he expected? No. That was G&W's charm in Melee. ROB will be the same way. Hes in, suck it up and if you dont like him dont play him.

Complaining will do nothing but earn dislike from fellow board members.

ComradeCanada

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is furries + 2, are you kidding?
No Krystal though, and Wolf isn't wholly unredeemable since he's from the good Starfox (N64).
Although I agree, Falco should've gone.
And Sonic... -_-
But we get Snake, and he seems to hate furries, so yay!

Antinegative

Smash Apprentice
All the talk about whether R.O.B. "deserves" his spot in Brawl aside, I'm still disappointed with him because his moveset and FS look boring (based on the gameplay vids I've seen). In the case of G&W, at least people could enjoy his quirky and original moveset (I mean the man whips out a frying pan) as a way of getting over their disappointment with him as a WTF character. Anybody else feel the same way?

Shadowplusle

Smash Journeyman
I say rebel against the man and play as R.O.B. He is a really unique character to brawl and the fact that he was my best character in Mario KArt DS, i support him.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Its official: Hes been hyped and humped to death now, only because people wanted to be special and "rebel" against those who were capable of admitting he shouldn't have been added to the game. Whats funny is there are now more people who love him then dislike him.

We'll see if he is still abnormally popular a couple months from now, when his conceptually unique "WTF" factor has declined and people are used to seeing him around.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Its official: Hes been hyped and humped to death now, only because people wanted to be special and "rebel" against those who were capable of admitting he shouldn't have been added to the game. Whats funny is there are now more people who love him then dislike him.

We'll see if he is still abnormally popular a couple months from now, when his conceptually unique "WTF" factor has declined and people are used to seeing him around.
Your just saying that because your going to get your *** beat against him

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

That's basically the case. You have one person with a high post count that says ROB saved the video game industry and !BAM! everyone believes him and that pretty much explains this fad that's going on. Just a side note, Gyromite and Stack Up didn't save the video game industry; Super Mario Bros did. ROB was created in order to get retailers to sell the NES in North America. Nintendo didn't expect, however, that SMB would be the main drawing appeal just like in Japan and that further explains why the game was later packaged with that and Duckhunt. Gyromite and Stack Up pretty much collected dust on the shelves and if it had just been ROB, the NES would have easily failed in North America and the video game industry wouldn't have had a good foundation to stand on.

Also, this same person has been cramming down our throat that ROB is the equivalent of Game and Watch and was long forgotten. Uh, he was playable in Mario Kart DS in 2005, remember? He had cameos in F-Zero GX and a handful of other games too. How can you forget a character that appears over and over again for no reason except to stir noglastia among the extremelly small number of people who actually bought (let alone have played) Stack Up or Gyromite.

Regardless, I still can't stand him simply because it's baffling how the developers could create a moveset for ROB and draw a complete blank when it came to characters like Krystal, Isaac, and Ridley, you know, characters who weren't complete gimmicks and who's movesets wouldn't have been based on robot cliches like lazers and jets.

People reacted the same way to Mr. Game and Watch (expect he actually deserved respect for his contributions) and I can easily see ROB being one of those back burner characters that most tournament go-ers will avoid like the black plauge and people will whine and complain and demand for him to be removed like Mewtwo and the Ice Climbers. In the end, people are safe guarding themselves because they're afraid of the "scorn" of the elitests who preach that ROB's the greatest thing ever, how there's absolutely nothing wrong with Brawl's roster, and how there's nothing wrong with how some of the broken characters were made more so and how some of worst characters (like Yoshi) are now practically unplayable in competitive play.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
waah cry moar =P

I hope that's not what people think when they see ROB and G&W in my sig. I always liked G&W because he was a very odd character. Two-dimensional, he moved in limited frames and made those weird sounds. He's a funny character and that's why I use him. I also like him because he has that old-school feel to him.

I like ROB mostly because I'm a huge computer nerd and just like anything technology-related. I get to play as a freaking robot? Can't get more techy than that lol. It's also just for the sake of nostalgia, once again I like old-school stuff.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
waah cry moar =P

I hope that's not what people think when they see ROB and G&W in my sig. I always liked G&W because he was a very odd character. Two-dimensional, he moved in limited frames and made those weird sounds. He's a funny character and that's why I use him. I also like him because he has that old-school feel to him.

I like ROB mostly because I'm a huge computer nerd and just like anything technology-related. I get to play as a freaking robot? Can't get more techy than that lol. It's also just for the sake of nostalgia, once again I like old-school stuff.
There are a lot of other Nintendo robots that did SOMETHING for Nintendo. Like Fire Emblem, Custom Robo is a Japan-only franchise that has semi-successfully been brought to other shores. RAY is the main robot there, right? Sukapon was from Nintendo's first ever fighting game. Both of these robots deserved some mention.

On the third party side of things, Mega Man should have been an option. He had his start on the NES and sold lots of games. Mega Man's creator made it sound like Nintendo wasn't even interested in aquiring rights to use him.

But they were dead set on using an outdated game controler that had marginally more success than the Virtual Boy. ROB's legacy falls far short of Game and Watch's, for one. Yes, he was Nintendos trojan horse. But Super Mario Bros was the trojan army.

What's more laughable is they comprised a complete, interesting moveset for ROB and left Ganondorf mostly with moves created for a fighter with no moves to begin with, and that those two have no relation to each other.

So it seems they were drilled into using ROB from a very early period of time, and thus the chances for all other interesting Nintendo and non-Nintnedo robots vanished.

Top Bottom