• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Everyone Who Hates R.O.B.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
I'll admit it. When I saw R.O.B. as a Subspace enemy, I was disheartened. I had been hoping he would be playable since Smash64. So, seeing him practically deconfirmed saddened me. However, when I saw that he was, in fact, playable, I was stoked. You know why?

Because R.O.B. is the very reason we still enjoy video games.

Everyone who's brushed up on their video game history knows that the release of the video game E.T. for one of Atari's many systems marked the beginning of a dark era in the video gaming world; The Great Video Game Depression. Simply put, nobody wanted video games during this time, and because of this, stores refused to sell them. Nintendo had recently completed their Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES for short (Incidentally, this is where Ness' name comes from) Seeing as how stores wouldn't sell video games anymore, they refused to stock Nintendo's first console. Then, somebody from Nintendo had a glorious idea; make a robotic peripheral to package with the system? That way, they could label it as a toy! Thus, R.O.B. was born. People began buying R.O.B., and the NES became popular because of it. In short, R.O.B. saved the video game industry. Now, I know what you're thinking: The industry would've come back alive anyway! Even so, Nintendo certainly wouldn't have been a part of it, and neither would Sony (For those of you who don't know, the Playstation was being developed between Sony and Nintendo, but Nintendo cut the deal and Sony released the Playstation without Nintendo's help.) Therefor, we wouldn't be eagerly awaiting Smash Bros. Brawl.

Seriously, making him a character is the least that could be done for the guy. I know I probably won't change anybody's opinion, if the character speculations were anything to go by, but I thought I'd let you all know my opinions on him.

*Puts up Cheezball's flame shield, just in case*

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Nice that someone else knows about as much gaming history as I do (referring to the Playstation bit).

But yeah, most people know R.O.B.'s place in history, they just don't think that makes him a better character than some of the popular characters of today. Besides, R.O.B. does not even look like a bad Brawl character. At least he isn't a clone like Toon Link XD

Patinator

Smash Champion
*Opens mouth, doesn't say anything*

...You sir, win. The opening poster AND Meta Sonic64. :chuckle:

That's true. Without R.O.B., the NES probably would've failed... No Super Mario Bros. No Legend of Zelda. No Smash.

...Wow.

Spellman

Smash Ace
Super Smash Bros. 4, the secret character is going to be a deck of Nintendo playing cards from before they got into electronics. And from what I hear, Super Smash Bros. 5 is going to have the founding fathers of Nintendo as playable characters, but Abe Lincoln will be a clone of him so disappointment will ensue.

Dogenzaka

Smash Ace
Oh hush with your patriotic video game speech.

You know very well no one wanted or requested a clunky robot. Hell if you're going to put a robot in Smash, make him something from Custom Robo or something. But ROB? That's the last robot I would consider putting in a fighting game. Yet they couldn't put in Animal Crosser?

Sakurai + logic = non-existent.

Saor Gael

Smash Apprentice
You make a good point, sir. I was once anti-ROB, but after seeing his crazy dance moves, I can no longer dislike him.

I also second the motion that his FS should have been the Landmaster. Or, rather, called the ROBmaster.

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
PROTIP: It was the Mario, the Metroid, and the Zelda that sold the NES.

Rob was a worthless peripheral with horrible games. It was a victory if you could even get him to work correctly. He was crappy then and is crappy now. He deserves no more representation than the powerglove.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
I'll admit ROB looks fun. But he's basically Nintendo's Trojan Horse. Thats kind of unscrupulous. He was a shrewd business endeavor, but failed. However, his moveset looks fun, and thats all that really matters.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
I already knew this. First I was against him, then I thought about it. He is a nice addition.

Also, the reason playing cards do not get a mention, as they are cards, not Video games! R.O.B. and Game and Watch are as far back as they can go with mentions for Video game history.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Really, when you think about it, R.O.B. at this point is about as obscure and nostalgic as Game & Watch... In essence, he is the G&W of Brawl, only... G&W is still included too, so its double the obscurity. Anyway, looking forward to trying it out.

Oh Gibdo

Smash Journeyman
I like ROB, but I didn't know about that little funfact. Cool.

ROB: "I'm not a hero! I'm not a savior! Forget what you know!"

(sorry couldn't resist a Mr. Roboto reference:lick:)

Kittah4

Smash Ace
The difference between ROB and game and watch is that game and watch is nintendos first character, and ROB is not even a video game character. Arguing his inclusion because of worthiness is rather trite. He's basically Nintendos little doorstop, and their claim to being the ones to reviving gaming in the USA.

But like I said, crappy characters, of which ROb isnt even a character, could still have good movesets, and things look good for ROB

Arteen

Smash Lord
The Game Boy line of products is the only reason Nintendo is still around, but that doesn't mean I want that gray brick-in-your-pocket on the roster.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Huh? That makes no sense.

And to the person who said something about Metroid, Zelda, and Mario making the NES sell:

Not trying to be rude here, but from what I hear, that's not correct. After the Video Game Crash in 1983 (Or so), stores were reluctant to sell systems. Nintendo disguised ROB as a toy, compatible with the NES. Or something like that. :p

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Oh hush with your patriotic video game speech.

You know very well no one wanted or requested a clunky robot. Hell if you're going to put a robot in Smash, make him something from Custom Robo or something. But ROB? That's the last robot I would consider putting in a fighting game. Yet they couldn't put in Animal Crosser?

Sakurai + logic = non-existent.
You really think NOONE wanted him? He was on many lists, such as Wiseguy's prediction list, long before he was shown as a subspace enemy. How is a custom robo character, seriously, more deserving than the robot that made Nintendo what it was?

Without ROB, like he said, we would not be reaming of smash today, so your hatred is unfounded, and nonsensical.

Logically, Noone seserved to be in more than ROB. especially not a custom Robo character, Sora, Geno, any of those.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
My thoughts on ROB?

There were support threads for everyone, from Ridely to fukking blooper and people still demanded a character that would not be expected. And Sakurai gives it to them. The programmer's incarnation of a sawing your lovely assistant in half.

And people start complaining that no one wanted him.

Double standards confirmed.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
dragonbreath, change blooper to chillidog (seriously, I have seen and trolled a 'chillidog for brawl' support thread..)

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
You do know that it was not just E.T. that caused the video game depression, it was because Atari was making tons of money off of their games. Becasue they became greedy, they simply rushed out titles as quickly as they could, without any proper programming or any sense of fun in them, and E.T. was just the last straw.

Also, it was not R.O.B. that made people buy NES, it was because they decided to pair NES with Super Mario Bros, similar to how the Wii came with Wii Sports.

Don't go aroudn thinking that R.O.B. is the only reason we play video games, that is like saying Eggplant wizard is why people don't eat eggplants as much anymore.

I still hate R.O.B.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
My thoughts on ROB?

There were support threads for everyone, from Ridely to fukking blooper and people still demanded a character that would not be expected. And Sakurai gives it to them. The programmer's incarnation of a sawing your lovely assistant in half.

QFT

*looks for ROB support thread*

Zevox

Smash Lord
My thoughts on ROB?

Agreed - the irony is simply inescapable. Just before the release, one of the major objections raised against many fake rosters was the lack of a "WTF?" character - a character nobody would expect, such as Mr Game & Watch had been in Melee. Then, when we actually get precisely that, we get most fans turning around and griping that he wasn't wanted. Ridiculous and illogical to the end.

Especially considering R.O.B. is perhaps the best WTF character they could have chosen - a major piece of Nintendo history (as our OP points out, he was the reason stores stocked the NES after the video game crash in the first place) whom the developers had complete creative license with, allowing for a very unique and interesting moveset. Hes a great addition to the game.

Yes, there are characters who didn't make it to Brawl that most people feel should have, like Ridley or Krystal. That doesn't mean R.O.B. making it is a bad thing, though, or that his inclusion had anything to do with their exclusion. Blaming him for that is like blaming Mr Game & Watch for Diddy Kong or Wario not making it to Melee - utterly ridiculous.

Zevox

Xanderous

Smash Lord
Dude, you can't just sprinkle "whom" around in sentences to make yourself look smarter. It's totally wrong in the topic title.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
PROTIP: It was the Mario, the Metroid, and the Zelda that sold the NES.

Rob was a worthless peripheral with horrible games. It was a victory if you could even get him to work correctly. He was crappy then and is crappy now. He deserves no more representation than the powerglove.
This is completely wrong on all levels.

Without ROB, the Nintendo wouldn't even be sold in retails stores anywhere, hence no popularity in the States. The fact that ROB was packed with the NES made retailers interested in selling the NES, as sci-fi and robots were all the rage around that time when it comes to toys.

Zevox

Smash Lord
This is completely wrong on all levels.

Without ROB, the Nintendo wouldn't even be sold in retails stores anywhere, hence no popularity in the States. The fact that ROB was packed with the NES made retailers interested in selling the NES, as sci-fi and robots were all the rage around that time when it comes to toys.
Precisely - Mario, Zelda, and Metroid sold the systems and brought Nintendo success, but before they could do that R.O.B. had to get the systems into stores in the first place and get those sales off the ground. The former could not have occurred without the latter, and the latter would have been in vain without the former. Its a complementary history.

Zevox

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Precisely - Mario, Zelda, and Metroid sold the systems and brought Nintendo success, but before they could do that R.O.B. had to get the systems into stores in the first place and get those sales off the ground. The former could not have occurred without the latter, and the latter would have been in vain without the former. Its a complementary history.

Zevox
Yeah. Sort of like how no one ever gives any credit to the guy that invented basketball. They just drool over MJ. Or how the engineers that design Nascar cars never get any love.

...I bet Captain Falcon's got one badass pit crew.

Kittah4

Smash Ace

Zevox
You'd think if they had so much respect for ROB they'd do something more for him than give him a sudden playable appearance in a fighting game or other arbitrary, fleeting cameos. ROB was a spring board, a trap, a trojan horse. He was abandoned. He had two games and was NEVER revisted as a concept in any other generation of hardware. And yet Nintendo keeps pretending to care about him, when in truth there are much more fan appreciated robots out there.

Despite all this I'll still have a good time playing as him. But his worth is greatly overestimated. After all, your hearts continual beating keeps you alive, but do you stop and thank your heart all day? No, you take it for granted and continue on your way. ROB, as a gaming concept, is dead. And if Brawl happens to revive him, that will be amazing. But I doubt it, just like I doubt a Kid Icarus revival, despite Brawl.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Agreed - the irony is simply inescapable. Just before the release, one of the major objections raised against many fake rosters was the lack of a "WTF?" character - a character nobody would expect, such as Mr Game & Watch had been in Melee. Then, when we actually get precisely that, we get most fans turning around and griping that he wasn't wanted. Ridiculous and illogical to the end.

Especially considering R.O.B. is perhaps the best WTF character they could have chosen - a major piece of Nintendo history (as our OP points out, he was the reason stores stocked the NES after the video game crash in the first place) whom the developers had complete creative license with, allowing for a very unique and interesting moveset. Hes a great addition to the game.

Yes, there are characters who didn't make it to Brawl that most people feel should have, like Ridley or Krystal. That doesn't mean R.O.B. making it is a bad thing, though, or that his inclusion had anything to do with their exclusion. Blaming him for that is like blaming Mr Game & Watch for Diddy Kong or Wario not making it to Melee - utterly ridiculous.

Zevox
R.O.B. has zero WTF factor after this:

Seriously, he's everywhere.

The reason people didn't expect him was because he was an enemy in SSE.

Then again, I
warmed up to him a bit more after finding out he's the Ancient Minister, but I still think that the best WTF character ever is Ayumi Tachibana. She kicks R.O.B.'s *** in the WTF department by far.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
R.O.B. has zero WTF factor after this:

Seriously, he's everywhere.

The reason people didn't expect him was because he was an enemy in SSE.

Then again, I
warmed up to him a bit more after finding out he's the Ancient Minister, but I still think that the best WTF character ever is Ayumi Tachibana. She kicks R.O.B.'s *** in the WTF department by far.
No, the only one that can beat ROB in the WTF factor is Rainman from the Hanafuda cards.

Goopygoo

Smash Ace
Looking for our princess in another castle.
After all, your hearts continual beating keeps you alive, but do you stop and thank your heart all day? No, you take it for granted and continue on your way.
I'm not saying everyone should praise R.O.B. I'm saying that we shouldn't just blindly bash him. After all, nobody goes around saying they hate their heart.

Jesus christ, you are retarted.

R.O.B. is currently my favorite character in Brawl...but...
What the ****?
Everything from E.T. on was utter bull****.
Since when was history "bulls**t"? Also, if you plan on insulting my intelligence, please include reasons for doing so.

Also, to the guy who said I was mistaken on my usage of 'Whom', thanks for correcting me. I wasn't trying to seem smarter, though. I just like the word.

Top Bottom