• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Everyone Who Hates R.O.B.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Sukapon would have also been an awesome choice but Custom Robo really didn't do anything for Nintendo...at all...and therefore wouldn't have been a better choice...

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
I am an over entitled fan clinging to baseless hopes .
Shouldn't you be a broken shell of a person by now? I mean, with you and your ilk <i>still</i> whining over some odd idea not being treated like manna from heaven; it seems like this was your only reason for existence. This is why we can't have good hype, people get stupid ideas in their heads and won't be happy until everyone knows how wonderful his or her half-baked dream is.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Shouldn't you be a broken shell of a person by now? I mean, with you and your ilk <i>still</i> whining over some odd idea not being treated like manna from heaven; it seems like this was your only reason for existence. This is why we can't have good hype, people get stupid ideas in their heads and won't be happy until everyone knows how wonderful his or her half-baked dream is.
I'm not sure what your problem is. I even admited ROB has an interesting moveset, which is of the utmost importance. I'm trying to explain why ROB ISN'T the so-called "manna from heaven" if that's what you're implying everything in Brawl is. He's a choice on par more with Ice Climbers than Game and Watch. He evokes exaggerated, fond memories of importance among his few fans he had before his inclusion was confirmed. I mean, pre-melee, I'm not sure ANYONE was saying "Oh gee, I hope the ice climbers are included", and post, I'm sure fans were angry about their inclusion over someone like Pit. Of course they dealt, but the Ice Climbers still don't win many if any popularity contests.

In essence, I think ROB was put in specifically from Sakurai's own choice to get a spark lit from what little is there to draw from. A lot of character inclusions, I'm guessing, were sparked from fans "stupid, half-baked" ideas, like Diddy, Wario, Sonic, and Lucario. But ROB?

Darkslash

Smash Master
I was never Anti-R.O.B, even though the NES games(Gyromite lulz) were Awkward they were still fun(for 15 minutes lol). I may be 15 but strangely enough my first Console was NES.

Ohh next thing you know the Final Assist trophy is a deck of Cards that fly around Slicing opponents doing 5% damage each hit

Black/Light

Smash Master
Humm, there seems to still be people hating on Nes's trojan horse:ohwell:

I find it abit funny how I hear some people say he shouldn't have been a pick. . .as if this game was their vision and their game to make. ROB is the perfect "WTF" character and is a great throw back to the Nes seeing as it was the trojan horse for the Nes leading to Nintendo getting a good weatern foot hold (as stated before). Really, if anyone on the roster "deserved to be in" it's R.O.B. The simple fact that he IS in brawl with soo lil popularity today proves that he was seen as a important part of Nintendo's history by the devs atleast.

And who wouldn't want to play as a crazy, Robot toy with lazer beam eyes, grab action and rocket jets!? That reminds me soo much of my childhood. . . lovely animations for such a odd looking character as well.:p
And plus. . . HE LOOKS LIKE JOHNNY 5!!!
(Don't f*** with Johnny 5's Ro-Bo brother from another company!)
http://www.johnny-five.com/images/sc/scenes/evilsaint.jpg

I feel abit sorry for anyone still b***ing and moaning about the roster not having their Fem Fox/ Magic Doll or Dragon friend. I was a Krystal fan too but Im not crying over Wolf. . .he looks bad a** and original which makes up for her not being in along with my main from Melee (Falco) being decloned.

Don't see why people want to bash R.O.B. either.
I think many of them are mad about how foolish they looked saying he was deconfirmed which was their main reason to not believe the 35 character roster. Oh well. . .long live Nintendo's trojan horse!!!:p (he has earned this much as the marketing trojan horse that made retailers sell the system that started it all for many of us!)

DQP

Smash Ace
nice story. i'm touched. (i'm not being sarcastic) anyway, ROB was an important part of nintendo's history. haters should take note- ROB truly belongs in brawl as both an enemy and a playable char. so pay the robotic operating buddy som respect, yo.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
nice story. i'm touched. (i'm not being sarcastic) anyway, ROB was an important part of nintendo's history. haters should take note- ROB truly belongs in brawl as both an enemy and a playable char. so pay the robotic operating buddy som respect, yo.
If ROB deserves to be on such a revered pedestal you'd think they wouldn't have done him the disservice of making him a generic, mass-produced enemy.

Black/Light

Smash Master
If ROB deserves to be on such a revered pedestal you'd think they wouldn't have done him the disservice of making him a generic, mass-produced enemy.
Welllll. . ..

HUGE SPOILERS about SSE!

The PC ROB is the lead ROB that commands the other ROBs. You know him as the Ancient Minister untill he changes his ways and chooses to help his Nintendo brothers stop the real enemy.

So yeah, PC ROB kicks a** because of this!!!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
1) The playable R.O.B. uses a different model

2) The playable R.O.B. is actually the leader of the Smash World...but was overthrown by Tabuu and forced to serve him.

Intercept

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna lie, I might play as R.O.B. quite a bit. First off, he's a robot. Secondly, though I'm ashamed to admit it, he's plain adorable.

Darkurai

Smash Master
I'm not gonna lie, I might play as R.O.B. quite a bit. First off, he's a robot. Secondly, though I'm ashamed to admit it, he's plain adorable.
FINALLY someone agrees with me.

I thought I was the only one who thinks he's adorable.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
1) The playable R.O.B. uses a different model

2) The playable R.O.B. is actually the leader of the Smash World...but was overthrown by Tabuu and forced to serve him.
ZOMG spoilers in da house!!

@UsernameLink's Pic:

No ROB! I still love you!!

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Does he have unlimited jumping or something? From what I've seen (I think he was holding the jump button), it looked like he was able to jump for a long time.

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
Alot of you guys(and girls maybe) mention that R.O.B. saved the nes, and while that may be true, he still doesn't deserve to be in brawl.
He was simply a shrewd business idea nintendo packaged in with the nes so, like Yourhero said, the stores would actually sell it as they apparently wouldn't sell video games before. But here's the thing, nobody bought the system for the junky r.o.b. attatchment, they bought the package for the nes, the only way they could buy it. So mario, zelda, and metroid really did sell the systems not R.O.B a.k.a. way to get system in the toy section of stores.
One more thing I'd like to add, the reason why alot of people including myself are miffed about R.O.B in brawl is because we were expecting so much more than just what was up on the dojo, instead we got a bunch of unchanged veterans(Ganondorf should have been changed, Ness shouldn't have been in to make room for more mother3 characters) and besides R.O.B all of the non dojo new comers were clones. Lucario kind of counts as he is simply the new mewtwo. So alot of people got mad that the ONLY unannounced newcomer to have a completely original moveset was the not as fan favorite R.O.B.
I'm sure that if the roster's unannounced newcomers were all non clones(some would have to be taken out like WW Link, Wolf, sorry) and some favorites were added(Ridley, Geno, Claus, Krystal, Isaac) then I'm sure R.O.B. would be welcomed with open arms by most people.

FIRST POST :)

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Alot of you guys(and girls maybe) mention that R.O.B. saved the nes, and while that may be true, he still doesn't deserve to be in brawl.
He was simply a shrewd business idea nintendo packaged in with the nes so, like Yourhero said, the stores would actually sell it as they apparently wouldn't sell video games before. But here's the thing, nobody bought the system for the junky r.o.b. attatchment, they bought the package for the nes, the only way they could buy it. So mario, zelda, and metroid really did sell the systems not R.O.B a.k.a. way to get system in the toy section of stores.
One more thing I'd like to add, the reason why alot of people including myself are miffed about R.O.B in brawl is because we were expecting so much more than just what was up on the dojo, instead we got a bunch of unchanged veterans(Ganondorf should have been changed, Ness shouldn't have been in to make room for more mother3 characters) and besides R.O.B all of the non dojo new comers were clones. Lucario kind of counts as he is simply the new mewtwo. So alot of people got mad that the ONLY unannounced newcomer to have a completely original moveset was the not as fan favorite R.O.B.
I'm sure that if the roster's unannounced newcomers were all non clones(some would have to be taken out like WW Link, Wolf, sorry) and some favorites were added(Ridley, Geno, Claus, Krystal, Isaac) then I'm sure R.O.B. would be welcomed with open arms by most people.

FIRST POST :)
So... are you actually from Panama?

Black/Light

Smash Master
But he is in brawl there for, to the only people who count in making this choice (the Devs), he does "deserve" it.

Meaning you=wrong and ROB comes out on top.:p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The person that gets to chose who deserves to be in Brawl chose R.O.B. so obviously he deserved it...Duh

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol, why are people arguing whether a character deserves to be in Brawl? It's just a video game, it's not the Academy Awards or anything :laugh:

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
But he is in brawl there for, to the only people who count in making this choice (the Devs), he does "deserve" it.

Meaning you=wrong and ROB comes out on top.:p
Did you not read the rest of my post?

I guess it is stupid for me to argue this now that he's in, it's just that I've been wanting to get a smash boards account for so long(very lazy)and I've been reading the smash boards for a couple of months so I have a lot of bottled up feelings.:ohwell:

Arcade

Smash Ace
Personally I don't like ROB himself very much, mainly because Nintendo's been trying to make him a celebrity for the past few years for some reason I've yet to figure out. There were a few reasons I was really disappointed when I heard he was the WTF character we were waiting for:

ROB is similar to Mr. Game and Watch in that G&W uses beeping sounds and robotic movements.
Mr. Game and Watch's moveset is awesome. Every single move comes from a different game in his series. You can smack someone around with a turtle and manhole cover, then finish with a scuba helmet. ROB's moveset is, in my opinion, bland and predictable for a WTF character.
Mr. Game and Watch came out of nowhere. Other than Game and Watch Gallery (which I believe went largely overlooked), he hadn't appeared in any games and didn't get much public attention. This made his appearance something special. ROB, on the other hand, has appeared as a boss in Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, as a playable character in Mario Kart DS, and as cameos in a lot of games. Seeing him in Brawl is just another check mark on the list.

So I don't really hate ROB, but he doesn't live up to Mr. Game and Watch as a WTF character in my opinion. They're supposed to have a special feeling about them different from the rest of the characters. I got that feeling from Mr. Game and Watch (A man who is composed of solid black in 2D, speaks in beeps, has robotic movement, and hits people with parachutes, flags, and chairs), but I'm not getting that feeling from ROB (a robot that shoots beams and missiles. Samus also looks robotic and shoots beams and missiles).

Again, this is my opinion of why I don't like ROB. I guess I was just spoiled at the total surprise that was G&W, and was expecting someone even more obscure and original.

By the way, it's also possible that Ness is an anagram of SNES, or that it doesn't have any riddle to it at all, but that's another debate.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Personally I don't like ROB himself very much, mainly because Nintendo's been trying to make him a celebrity for the past few years for some reason I've yet to figure out. There were a few reasons I was really disappointed when I heard he was the WTF character we were waiting for:

ROB is similar to Mr. Game and Watch in that G&W uses beeping sounds and robotic movements.
Mr. Game and Watch's moveset is awesome. Every single move comes from a different game in his series. You can smack someone around with a turtle and manhole cover, then finish with a scuba helmet. ROB's moveset is, in my opinion, bland and predictable for a WTF character.
Mr. Game and Watch came out of nowhere. Other than Game and Watch Gallery (which I believe went largely overlooked), he hadn't appeared in any games and didn't get much public attention. This made his appearance something special. ROB, on the other hand, has appeared as a boss in Wario Ware: Smooth Moves, as a playable character in Mario Kart DS, and as cameos in a lot of games. Seeing him in Brawl is just another check mark on the list.

So I don't really hate ROB, but he doesn't live up to Mr. Game and Watch as a WTF character in my opinion. They're supposed to have a special feeling about them different from the rest of the characters. I got that feeling from Mr. Game and Watch (A man who is composed of solid black in 2D, speaks in beeps, has robotic movement, and hits people with parachutes, flags, and chairs), but I'm not getting that feeling from ROB (a robot that shoots beams and missiles. Samus also looks robotic and shoots beams and missiles).

Again, this is my opinion of why I don't like ROB. I guess I was just spoiled at the total surprise that was G&W, and was expecting someone even more obscure and original.

By the way, it's also possible that Ness is an anagram of SNES, or that it doesn't have any riddle to it at all, but that's another debate.
I was hoping for someone like Ayumi Tachibana... she kicks R.O.B.'s *** in the WTF department.

And IMO Ness is almost surely an anagram of SNES, because there was Ninten from Mother, whose name would've of come from the N(intendo)ES. The only hole in this is that Japan didn't know the NES or SNES, but the Famicom and SFamicom.

Crackerz

Smash Rookie
*Opens mouth, doesn't say anything*

...You sir, win. The opening poster AND Meta Sonic64. :chuckle:

That's true. Without R.O.B., the NES probably would've failed... No Super Mario Bros. No Legend of Zelda. No Smash.

...Wow.
*sniffle* im not *sniffle* crying...

robs one of my faves in mkds. did you no in time trials on the dusty dune level (or somit like that) you have to race FAMICOM ROB. same guy, diffrent colours. and japanese.

FlyinG ShoosteR

Smash Apprentice
Bias. Many people wanted him. Was he expected? No. That was G&W's charm in Melee. ROB will be the same way. Hes in, suck it up and if you dont like him dont play him.

Complaining will do nothing but earn dislike from fellow board members.
many people wanted him? oh right, I forgot about the LOADS of R.O.B. support threads that were all over the boards. I forgot how many wanted him before the roster leaked. silly me. :dizzy:

What's funny is that most people who support R.O.B. now were throwing a fit when the rumors were going around about him being in. Then when there was actually proof that he was playable, they completely switched their opinions and started acting like they loved him all along.

oh, and don't tell me what to do. I'm still going to love and play the game, I just think that he doesn't belong. At least G&W was actually IN a video game.

I honestly don't care if I "earn dislike from fellow board members" because I'm just stating my opinion. So stop complaining about my "complaining". that is all.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
lol the ROB support thread was made more than a year before you created your account :laugh: There shouldn't be "loads" of support threads anyway, there is only one per character.

Also, he was in MKDS if it matters >_>

Top Bottom