• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To DLC or not to DLC

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
That's the thing, we're mostly talking about DLC developed after the release of the game as extras, day one DLC's a despicable thing that evil corporations like EA do to scam people out of their money.
I personally think sakurai aint gunna do character dlc cuz he like fair open environments to play. He likes everyone to have the same options so i don't think sakurai aint gunna add characters. stages maybe but Characters

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
That's the thing, we're mostly talking about DLC developed after the release of the game as extras, day one DLC's a despicable thing that evil corporations like EA do to scam people out of their money.
Yeah I could probably go for that if its content created like 6 months to a year after release. Content being made right now during development that's being held back for the sake of having DLC is just sick. I'll probably still buy it but I won't be happy about it....

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I wouldnt be opposed to free DLC characters for the 3DS game so the Wii U version could still include a few surprises. By that, I mean the Wii U version having a few extra characters, but will be added into the 3DS game after its release.

...Not sure if I worded that well.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I'm usually against paid DLC. I mean historically compared to regular expansions you get a FRACTION for the same price.

Free DLC? Sure! I'll take that!

Paid DLC that doesn't rip you off and isn't pay to win? I'll withstand it. Like if Doctor Mario alt costume costs $2 I'll live.

Ideally there would be an "expansion" level sequel. If this Smash 6 is happening in 2015 that's probably what's up. I don't mind that.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I don't mind paid dlc the programmers need to get paid for there work as long as the price fits the content no 15 dollars for alt costumes like PSAS

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Definitely. Especially characters. They're the most important part of the game for me, and there's enough courses/music/single player stuff regardless. Also, returning some old items not in(Red Shell, damnit!), including Poke Ball summons(or other summons, unless they're already playable), character skins, and especially fun options. I'd prefer it free, but severely cheap works too.

Croco

Smash Lord
I'd support in order of favor..

1. Alternate Costumes
2. Stages
3. Characters
4. Music (Since Namco is working on this game.. I wouldn't be shocked if we get DLC Music.)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
The only way it could work for characters and stages is if the DLC was free. I think Nintendo is appalled by the idea that consumers will need to buy DLC in order to play online due to not having the required content; because I personally don't see a "DLC Mode" feature being applied. If it were free, and you're online anyways, that makes sense.

Only character skins wouldn't matter. It would just be eyecandy on your side anyways regardless if other online users have it or not (if not, they'll just see default skins).

All-in-all, I support Nintendo DLC as long as the main game is full. We play these games for years to come so it only makes sense to have one heck of a game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't really want to think much about DLC before the game comes out, but new Smash Run maps would be something I'd like to see.

EpicDark

Smash Rookie
NNID
EpicDark
There'll be DLC for sure.

As of now, theres only a few games to even purchase DLC from in the Nintendo E-Shop, and even smaller will to buy. Smash Bros will blow DLC sales sky-high.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
The only way it could work for characters and stages is if the DLC was free. I think Nintendo is appalled by the idea that consumers will need to buy DLC in order to play online due to not having the required content; because I personally don't see a "DLC Mode" feature being applied. If it were free, and you're online anyways, that makes sense.

Only character skins wouldn't matter. It would just be eyecandy on your side anyways regardless if other online users have it or not (if not, they'll just see default skins).

All-in-all, I support Nintendo DLC as long as the main game is full. We play these games for years to come so it only makes sense to have one heck of a game.
the problems is easly fixed with a mandatory update to put the data in ever game

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
This might be unrelated, but I think it is essentially relevant: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/22/5639602/mario-golf-world-tour-dlc-season-pass

In case it's unclear, that's Day One DLC for Mario Golf, along with a season pass being available for later releases. Obviously most of us here are thinking DLC is a given in one form or another, but could this be somewhat indicative of the Smash model of DLC as well?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This might be unrelated, but I think it is essentially relevant: http://www.polygon.com/2014/4/22/5639602/mario-golf-world-tour-dlc-season-pass

In case it's unclear, that's Day One DLC for Mario Golf, along with a season pass being available for later releases. Obviously most of us here are thinking DLC is a given in one form or another, but could this be somewhat indicative of the Smash model of DLC as well?
Well, Sakurai himself doesn't want to charge people regardless, so... I don't think we have to worry money-wise.

As for on-disc DLC, only if the characters aren't 100% complete. And they have placeholder data to save space cause you need the system to actually save the data. For instance, say, placeholders for Pichu and Dr. Mario. Or whomever.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
5 bucks for a Ridley skin for Charizard ;)

Then all the Ridley fans can have their playable ****** ridley!

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero

Hmm.....interesting.

I do however like this idea from Nintendo:

"Players will have the opportunity to try the DLC courses before buying with Trial Tournaments."

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
How much would you pay for a character, stage, item, piece of music? Would you refuse to buy anything if it came to it?

Personally I find it a lot easier to quantify value if it's a package deal, if it's just one item I'd feel more uncomfortable about it. I guess it's more obvious that I'm being fleeced.

Considering you can buy Smash Bros 4 3DS at around €44-€49, with an initial roster of 44-50 (probably) along with countless stages, music, game modes and other things like trophies. I'd feel hard pressed to pay much for any one particular feature. That's why I prefer expansion packs to dlc, there's usually way more bang for your buck.

Even if you paid €1 for a new character it's still disproportionate to what you originally paid for the game. If you put a value of €1 on every existing playable character you'd already reach the full cost of the game before even considering existing stages, game modes, alternate costumes, remastered music, bosses, and items.

Last edited:

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
I am extremely opposed to any sort of DLC in the Smash games simply because I feel it'd be a very easy way to make things lopsided or doing stupid things like "Oh you didn't buy -insert stage/character- you don't get to play with people who have!" And considering the way Nintendo's 'account' system works I just don't like buying digital things from them.

The same goes for balance updates. I'm ok with patches to fix glitches and things that simply break like the saving glitch in Pokemon X/Y. But balance updates strictly appeal to the tourny goer fanbase and I've always disliked turning on my game one day and patch goes through and oh suddely Charizard can no longer fly or Kirby and Bower and no longer commit murder-suicides. I HATE picking up the game and a character no longer works the same anymore and guess what You can't play with other people online anymore unless you update!

Last edited:

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Hmm.....interesting.

I do however like this idea from Nintendo:

"Players will have the opportunity to try the DLC courses before buying with Trial Tournaments."
Even the model itself makes some sense to me. The game is a bargain-priced game at less than usual pricing and the season pass just barely gets the total price up above the normal 40 dollar price point.

Patches in my opinion are definitely necessary. The changes are never arbitrary and are always meant to improve the experience, so I can't see why being "forced" to download an improvement would be such a bad thing.

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I would be willing to buy DLC as long as it's not disproportionate/oversaturated. I'm scared DLC characters/stages will be overpowered/out of balance and might divide the community (some people to get practice w/certain characters and stages while others don't)

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If they do have paid dlc I could see them letting you play with new characters in the Training Room against the sandbag as a sort of demo.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am extremely opposed to any sort of DLC in the Smash games simply because I feel it'd be a very easy way to make things lopsided or doing stupid things like "Oh you didn't buy -insert stage/character- you don't get to play with people who have!" And considering the way Nintendo's 'account' system works I just don't like buying digital things from them.

The same goes for balance updates. I'm ok with patches to fix glitches and things that simply break like the saving glitch in Pokemon X/Y. But balance updates strictly appeal to the tourny goer fanbase and I've always disliked turning on my game one day and patch goes through and oh suddely Charizard can no longer fly or Kirby and Bower and no longer commit murder-suicides. I HATE picking up the game and a character no longer works the same anymore and guess what You can't play with other people online anymore unless you update!
all wii u's will have updates that put the dlc that was relased in the game but locked, which would allow people who does not have the dlc to play with people who do

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How much would you pay for a character, stage, item, piece of music? Would you refuse to buy anything if it came to it?

Personally I find it a lot easier to quantify value if it's a package deal, if it's just one item I'd feel more uncomfortable about it. I guess it's more obvious that I'm being fleeced.
As you said, I'd prefer the package deal for value for money.

If no package deal is available a character trial might be an ideal thing as they've done within Mario Golf for the courses; if you're on the fence about a hypothetical DLC character, perhaps being able to try them out for a 2 minute match will help you make up your mind.

D

Deleted member

DLC should absolutely happen for this game. This is a game that would go great with DLC; so long as the DLC is offered at a reasonable price and/or free.

One reason to support DLC is because Sakurai is not going to get everything he wants in. There are going to be characters that are cut due to time constraints. If Sakurai wants Roy in but had to cut him late in development to meet deadlines, shouldn't he be able to bring him back later on as DLC? It'd be a win-win situation for him and the fans. And it wouldn't just stop with characters.

DLC would give Sakurai the ability to put in whatever he wants and to beef up to what will already be an awesome packaging.

SorrowOfAcheron

Smash Journeyman
DLC should absolutely happen for this game. This is a game that would go great with DLC; so long as the DLC is offered at a reasonable price and/or free.

One reason to support DLC is because Sakurai is not going to get everything he wants in. There are going to be characters that are cut due to time constraints. If Sakurai wants Roy in but had to cut him late in development to meet deadlines, shouldn't he be able to bring him back later on as DLC? It'd be a win-win situation for him and the fans. And it wouldn't just stop with characters.

DLC would give Sakurai the ability to put in whatever he wants and to beef up to what will already be an awesome packaging.
Completely agree with this.

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
I'd only agree with alternate costumes as DLC, or possibly music. To be honest though, I'd probably buy all of it anyway unless it was stickers or trophies.

pickle962

Smash Lord
If its something REALLY good, then sure! Otherwise nah! i.e if a character lots of people wanted in smash 4 or Sakurai had to cut thanks to time constraints, okay cool but ONLY after both versions of smash 4 have been out for some time!

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
5 bucks for a Ridley skin for Charizard ;)

Then all the Ridley fans can have their playable ****** ridley!
I'd pay 1000$ to brick the WiiUs of all Ridley detractors :)

I just hope DLC doesn't soil Smash4's so-far pristine roster with unimportant, uninspired clones like Roy, Dr. Mario and Pichu...I'd be all over 'Packs' like, not selling you one character, one piece of music, one stage, but for example, Bowser Jr. as a DLC character, and he'd come with a Bowser Land stage and a few BJR-related musical pieces for different Mario stages.

-VictoriaJustice-

Smash Ace
NNID
Victor1aJust1ce
3DS FC
4768-7937-5552
I'd love to have characters. No matter how much it is, I'll buy it. Just as long as it isn't over $20.

c:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
i only want DLC for new stages. really only when new games come out, and they're big enough to need rep. like if a new zelda comes out and there's some really memorible dungeon or whatever. this would also help promote it.

characters would be nice as well. as long as they're free. i don't mind paying for stages (it shouldnt be a hecka lot), but characters should be free. really i dont think there should be that many characters that aren't already included.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
i only want DLC for new stages. really only when new games come out, and they're big enough to need rep. like if a new zelda comes out and there's some really memorible dungeon or whatever. this would also help promote it.

characters would be nice as well. as long as they're free. i don't mind paying for stages (it shouldnt be a hecka lot), but characters should be free. really i dont think there should be that many characters that aren't already included.
I dont mind if they cost designers have to be payed

Top Bottom