• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To DLC or not to DLC

number1029

Smash Rookie
NNID
number1029
DLC would be great. It would keep Smash current with changes in character design, new pokemon, and new games while providing a fantastic marketing tool for Nintendo. A win win as they say.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd be fine with Smash 4 having DLC so long as Nintendo doesn't abuse it. Though I would say the only worthwhile DLC would be stages and characters. Since that's what most people actually care about. But events could be kind of cool too.

Last edited:

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
You know what I'm going to have an unpopular opinion right now but a I see a lot of people saying that they only want DLC if it's free. I'll disagree; while free dlc would be nice I don't think it is a must. If they're putting a lot of work into making a new character working on the balance of said characters building a new stage around that character adding music for that character then they are more than justified to charge for that work. If they're going to put extra work into the game to add new things say for example they pump out another 30 event matches and toss that up to download for $4-$5 I would be more than happy to buy that. Same goes for adding new characters.

Now they could pump out one new stage every couple of months and offer that for free and that would be fine. But if they're going above and beyond to pump out new content for the game that requires a crew of people to work on it to make said content then they should charge for it. Nintendo has to pay their staff to make this stuff so they should at least make some money off it.

That being said DLC might never happen I'm just saying that if they are pumping out quality DLC that's got some meat to it then there's no reason for them to not charge for it.

Free DLC would be best left to new trophies, new music, stamps (if they're worked into it), and little extras that can be pumped out in short and simple order just as little extra nods to the fan.

Dairz

Smash Ace
DLC music packs would be the best thing ever.

Costumes aren't a bad idea either, and stages would be cool.
(But those costumes better be massive fanservice... who am I kidding, I'd buy them all anyways..)

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
DLC might be great is they forgot to put some awsome characters or stages. But is they add like 5 target smashes I gonnna fight for more stages.

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
Yes, but as long as it doesnt extend to characters.
Main way I play is final destination no items, so I'd hate for new characters to be released that I may or may not purchase.

Of course, for profit, DLC characters would be great to promote an older game after a year or so.
But then its like, will these characters be brand new game release quality?
Thats really the issue and something I'd worry about.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I don't think there should ever be DLC character's there is a reason why major games like street fighter. blazblue, King of fighter ect don't do it. its so every player has equal footing. And adding characters over time may seem better if its free but if the character ends up super broken (like metanight)
witch is most of the cases with dlc characters, sure you could patch but sometimes characters are broken in a sense that you have to rework the system to balance that character.

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
I don't see DLC characters happening, but costumes, stages and music seems perfectly reasonable.

It'd be great to have downloadable Stage Builder Tools, also.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd pay for an "Assist Trophies Characters" DLC pack. Let's say they pick a few AT characters (Waluigi, Skull Kid, Stafy) and make them fully playable, then charge 10 dollars or something.

Gold mine.

Dairz

Smash Ace
I'd pay for an "Assist Trophies Characters" DLC pack. Let's say they pick a few AT characters (Waluigi, Skull Kid, Stafy) and make them fully playable, then charge 10 dollars or something.

Gold mine.
Well yeah, I'd pay for it too. But I wouldn't be happy about it, and I imagine lots of other people would be like "Nintendo is just like Capcom!"

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I could see DLC having: Roy, Doctor Mario, Pichu and Young Link, tbh. Still mostly clones, but would still be sweet. ^^

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well yeah, I'd pay for it too. But I wouldn't be happy about it, and I imagine lots of other people would be like "Nintendo is just like Capcom!"
Hmm... that's true. Still, I'd love to see it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Honestly only people who thoughtlessly accuse people of things could say that statement. The AT idea would be in no way similar to Capcom's situation. As I see it, the new characters would be... brand spanking new characters that weren't even planned to be playable before, (hence why they are AT's) so it's not even like the content was withheld.

D

Deleted member

Please no. DLC doesn't end well most of the time. I mean look at Playstation All-Stars, they lost all hope for the game and stopped making DLC. And Street Fighter, don't even get me started. I suppose bad things would happen if SSB dived into the DLC realm.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Please no. DLC doesn't end well most of the time. I mean look at Playstation All-Stars, they lost all hope for the game and stopped making DLC. And Street Fighter, don't even get me started. I suppose bad things would happen if SSB dived into the DLC realm.
While it didn't go well for Allstart, I am positive DLC for Smash would work wonders. Especially if it's the Melee clones, about one year after Smash 4 is released. Both a pretty easy and simple DLC, and at a time when a lot would want more options. ^^

Or, they could simply do Stage/Event DLC. No one can complain about that, right?

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
While it didn't go well for Allstart, I am positive DLC for Smash would work wonders. Especially if it's the Melee clones, about one year after Smash 4 is released. Both a pretty easy and simple DLC, and at a time when a lot would want more options. ^^

Or, they could simply do Stage/Event DLC. No one can complain about that, right?
People can and will complain about anything.

I think my least favorite example of DLC in a fighting game is actually Injustice, where I felt like I bought the game only a few months after release and I couldn't open up the damn thing without being told "Hey check out these characters that have been released in this time span! Buy them yeah? We'll even add their icons to the character select to remind you that you don't have them."

Personally I think DLC for Smash would be most effective if it's released several months after launch, and only in big bundles of a character, stage or two, music, maybe trophies. Sure give options to buy each thing separately, but releasing small things one at a time very soon after launch does give that ugly implication that it was stuff close to completion that could potentially have been in the packaged game.

Dairz

Smash Ace
Honestly only people who thoughtlessly accuse people of things could say that statement. The AT idea would be in no way similar to Capcom's situation. As I see it, the new characters would be... brand spanking new characters that weren't even planned to be playable before, (hence why they are AT's) so it's not even like the content was withheld.
Yeah, but people would be upset they didn't just make them characters in the first place (I know its dumb, but you can't deny that it would happen). I think Smash should not have any DLC characters. No, not even the Melee guys. It should stick to things like stages and costumes; the content could be worth it, but not that so people that don't buy it feel like they have a gameplay disadvantage to DLC buyers.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

I think new blocks and stuff for a stage builder would be neat.

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
@ Road Death Wheel Road Death Wheel
That could also work well. ^^ Speaking of that, I hope we'll get a good look at Stage Builder soon.

@ DaDavid DaDavid
Agreed, pretty much. Not a fan of having to pay to unlock characters that's basically already in the game.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Yeah, but people would be upset they didn't just make them characters in the first place (I know its dumb, but you can't deny that it would happen). I think Smash should not have any DLC characters. No, not even the Melee guys. It should stick to things like stages and costumes; the content could be worth it, but not that so people that don't buy it feel like they have a gameplay disadvantage to DLC buyers.
Of course I'm not denying that people would complain about it, but I honestly don't think that that's a good reason to avoid developing what could be interesting characters for DLC. Honestly people would complain regardless of what new content is added if they don't wanna pay for it, or feel like they shouldn't have to.

I guess I just personally don't think it matters if the reason for feeling that way is that they feel at a "disadvantage." But I'll admit that's potentially more of an issue for tourney goers and stuff like that, so stages and costumes will always be safer in a way.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Of course I'm not denying that people would complain about it, but I honestly don't think that that's a good reason to avoid developing what could be interesting characters for DLC. Honestly people would complain regardless of what new content is added if they don't wanna pay for it, or feel like they shouldn't have to.

I guess I just personally don't think it matters if the reason for feeling that way is that they feel at a "disadvantage." But I'll admit that's potentially more of an issue for tourney goers and stuff like that, so stages and costumes will always be safer in a way.
DLC character are what makes tourneys trouble some. Facing characters you don't quite understand will be problematic and definitely give other players an advantage.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
DLC character are what makes tourneys trouble some. Facing characters you don't quite understand will be problematic and definitely give other players an advantage.
Yeah that's honestly my one major worry regarding it. Though to be honest I doubt that a tournament level player who is willing, and able, to travel whether locally or abroad to participate in tournaments that on occasion have entree fees would be unwilling to pay for the chance to experience a brand new character.

But it is still an issue when it's an indirectly forced fee on such players.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Why let stupid people ruin our fun? The more the merrier I say.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Yeah that's honestly my one major worry regarding it. Though to be honest I doubt that a tournament level player who is willing, and able, to travel whether locally or abroad to participate in tournaments that on occasion have entree fees would be unwilling to pay for the chance to experience a brand new character.

But it is still an issue when it's an indirectly forced fee on such players.
I think the issue would impact the casuals the most. Since they also make the largest impact on the games success, if they feel that they bought a incomplete game and make an uproar about it. Then there we go Nintendo is now cashcom. N$ntendoe$$

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
This topic pretty much sums up what I think of DLC in SSB. There's all this debate and such that's being caused by the thought of DLC. Just simply not having it would end all of this, and nobody gets the short end of the stick.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
This topic pretty much sums up what I think of DLC in SSB. There's all this debate and such that's being caused by the thought of DLC. Just simply not having it would end all of this, and nobody gets the short end of the stick.
Alas your right i agree with you.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
What fools these mortals be.

I can't see Nintendo releasing DLC, but if they choose to take advantage of the opportunity it could be a chance to release some characters that have less universal appeal (More FE or Japan exclusives?)

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
What fools these mortals be.

I can't see Nintendo releasing DLC, but if they choose to take advantage of the opportunity it could be a chance to release some characters that have less universal appeal (More FE or Japan exclusives?)
Um nintendo has done dlc before. it is new to them but they did it with games like super mario bros 2/U and fire emblem and hopefully donkey kong

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I have to disagree; I just don't see why people responding negatively and/or entitled to new content that's being offered to people who wouldn't mind paying for it should mean that it shouldn't be developed at all.

As mentioned, Nintendo has tried out some DLC and it's never (from what I've seen) been received in such a way that inspired anger or hurt the existing product or even people's opinion of Nintendo. I mean we seem to not even be aware of it unless we had the game in question right?

If Pikmin 3 can have DLC for it's most important aspect (levels) then I see no reason Smash couldn't successfully have some for it's (characters.)

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I have to disagree; I just don't see why people responding negatively and/or entitled to new content that's being offered to people who wouldn't mind paying for it should mean that it shouldn't be developed at all.

As mentioned, Nintendo has tried out some DLC and it's never (from what I've seen) been received in such a way that inspired anger or hurt the existing product or even people's opinion of Nintendo. I mean we seem to not even be aware of it unless we had the game in question right?

If Pikmin 3 can have DLC for it's most important aspect (levels) then I see no reason Smash couldn't successfully have some for it's (characters.)
Thats because the have not done it in a competitive fighting game. sure they could add levels and modes and costumes but once it gets to the point of actual characters thats when people get upset.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I hate to be harsh but the ppl whining aboutl dlc characters either need to get over it or just buy the characters if they want them.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

Pikmin's is for missions completely separate from the main mode. With most games (except FE, which I have seen hate for because it's basically pay-to-win) you don't feel obligated to buy them because they're so far from the main game.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Characters and stages yes please. I'd buy them all even if they were characters I don't want in the game.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I'd rather no DLC and just have the complete package at it's fullest with the game I buy. I hate the idea of having to pay extra for content that should be included in the game in the first place. (I absolutely despise the concept of Day One DLC). Unless they do it for free or something ala Playstation All Stars where it's free for a few weeks.
Still given the Smash Bros fan that I am, I'll most likely buy any and all DLC in a heartbeat anyways so whatever.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I hate to be harsh but the ppl whining aboutl dlc characters either need to get over it or just buy the characters if they want them.
Alas thats not how the internet or the casual community will respond if thy don't like it. DLC characters are generally broken and too good for the game. Look at play station battle royal.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I'd rather no DLC and just have the complete package at it's fullest with the game I buy. I hate the idea of having to pay extra for content that should be included in the game in the first place. (I absolutely despise the concept of Day One DLC). Unless they do it for free or something ala Playstation All Stars where it's free for a few weeks.
Still given the Smash Bros fan that I am, I'll most likely buy any and all DLC in a heartbeat anyways so whatever.
That's the thing, we're mostly talking about DLC developed after the release of the game as extras, day one DLC's a despicable thing that evil corporations like EA do to scam people out of their money.

Top Bottom