• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To DLC or not to DLC

I think DLC will come in big packs if Smash Bros. gets it. There won't be too many of them, but they'd be worth the price.

For example, Nintendo releases a Golden Sun Pack (there might be better things to include in this supposed pack, but I just got into the series!)...

It includes Isaac as a playable fighter.
Garet as an Assist Trophy.
Sol Sanctum as a stage.
Lots of music from the series.
The main characters of the series as collectible trophies.

This is what I'd expect. The price? Maybe around the price of Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC...

Now, will Smash Bros. get DLC? Maybe not. I mean, continued support of one Smash Bros. game means the next won't really be all that great. With the abundance of content, stuff will be cut. Reveals also won't generate as much hype. Less new things to add to the game. Getting DLC into this series comes with many risks.

Last edited:

Dracometeor

Smash Apprentice
No need for sarcasm. I happen to agree with him. Some of us don't have local friends to play with so the biggest part of their enjoyable IS that single player.
So no friends and no internet?

Anyways to me characters and maybe stages are the only valuable dlc to me. I do NOT want to pay extra just so I get a few events/trophies and etc that I will never even get value out of. I would love new characters though because it actually adds something to the gameplay. Same to some extent with stages. I could see some cool cheap costumes/skins for characters that I would buy though since I would actually notice them and be part of my multiplayer experience.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Now I know some people wouldn't want to have DLC as they feel then forced to purchase the characters in order to keep up with the competition.
This. Stages too. Costumes and other non-essential items, sure go for it, but I should not have to pay to keep up my version of a game I've already paid full price for, this isn't WoW.

<rant>Now if they do indeed release an upgrade kit, with just as much to add as say, a WoW upgrade kit (e.g multiple stages, characters, modes, etc.) In that case, yeah actually I'd buy it. But this crap where they charge 5-15 bucks per character or something stupid, heck no. Just charge more for the game in the beginning if it's so impossible to release the game as a finished product (which is a total cop-out). I'd rather them delay release a year than to dribble out the two or three characters they didn't have time for at 15 bucks a whack, seriously it's not as if the MSRP of the game itself would go up just because the roster went from 45-50 or whatever. And don't even start with the "they deserve compensation" junk, these developers are already paid salaries that cross 6 figures some of them, so no, they don't -rely- on our little pittance pay. That's just an excuse for Nintendo to eek out more profit. There's even a game someone said that they release that had DLC -already on the disk- you just had to pay to unlock it. BS. </rant>

edit: AND THIS! "- Nintendo is planning post-launch character DLC, source doesn't like this as he thinks it's greedy" Sal's leaker who WORKS for them even thinks it's crap. Take that Nintendo! ... >.>

Last edited:

Calibrate

Smash Apprentice
I'm totally for DLC. As long as it follows Calibrate's amazing guide on how to not piss off players.

Anything important (characters, stages) should be FREE DLC.
Anything trivial (costumes, trophies, stickers, events, maybe even game modes, story mode < however, there should be a story mode in the initialrelease, and this DLC-story mode should only expand further on that) can be paid DLC. Cheap and not released until several months after the initial release.

Last edited:

Booster

Smash Lord
There HAS to be DLC, Not So New Super Mario Bros U had it and it's a launch title with no lasting appeal

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
These are some Specific DLC Packs I'm expecting.

- Brawl Vets Pack: :ivysaur:,:squirtle: ,:lucas:, and:snake: (Assuming they all get cut). And maybe even :pt: as a standalone character!
- Melee Vets Pack: :drmario:, :linkmelee:, :roymelee:, and :pichumelee: (Assuming Mewtwo gets in on the main roster)

Each of those packs would also come with a few stages from that game.

Any packs after that would either be stages or new character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom