• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tir na Smash - Results and Vids

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Pikaville said:
By the way Dave where in Dublin are you living?
I'm actually in the process of moving right now, I'll let you know when I'm all set up in my new place. Where you living yourself?

Lynkx said:
Oh, and DeadEyeDave, I'll only be able to put the ads in one shop, Game in the Blanchardstown Centre seeing as it's the only proper games shop where I live. A lot of people go there, though
That's cool. The only other shop out around Blanchardstown I think it'd be worth sticking fliers in is maybe the Smyths toys across the way. They get a lot of people in there too.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I'm down in Cork but I'd be well up for a smash tourny. I'll keep my eyes on this board.
Is there any possible way of you coming down...? Like a train or something? If there isn't though, don't bother, it'll take too long and it'd be too much hassle.

And while I'm here, is this an overnight tournament or do we go home then come back for the doubles?

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
What time are we going to start at,just out of interest?

Some sort of aprils foolery is amuck here(try typing ti me,it turns into sto ck)

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Is there any possible way of you coming down...? Like a train or something? If there isn't though, don't bother, it'll take too long and it'd be too much hassle.

And while I'm here, is this an overnight tournament or do we go home then come back for the doubles?
I don't believe we can sleep at the con, so it would be a "Go home and come back" thing.

To be perfectly honest with you guys right now, I'm not 100% sure we'll get both days. The standard Vaticon procedure for this is that each "event" is only allowed one of two time slots on one of two days (I was only told this yesterday). I managed to get us both time slots on Saturday (so we can stay all day), but the con director is being slow in getting back to me as to whether or not we can have Sunday too.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear from him, but I don't think it should be too much of a problem. Having both time slots on Saturday gets us 11am to 6pm, so if we have sufficient interest in a doubles tourney, we can arrange it for around 4pm Saturday, instead of midday Sunday.

So for now, Saturday is still absolutely on, but Sunday is in question.

Also can I please get volunteers again for consoles and controllers to make sure nobody has lost interest or changed their minds from before. I think we're getting two screen at the con, so two of everything (consoles, wires, game discs) and any excess of controllers. If we end up getting more than two screens though, extras wouldn't hurt.

As I mentioned before, I'm going to be spending Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in England, so I don't know how readily I'll have internet.

So if you don't hear from me again, I'll see all you gentlemen on Saturday morning.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
What time are we going to start at,just out of interest?

Some sort of aprils foolery is amuck here(try typing ti me,it turns into sto ck)
So that's what it is! I typer "M.atter" in a previous post, and in came up Penelopeer, so I'm guessing anytime you type my name (Ma.tt) it comes up as Penelope

matter time

Smash Rookie
Hey guys :) me and a group of seven people or so are coming to this hoping to get our smash on.
Looking forward to smashing with ye soon :D

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Why is it saying Halo instead of s m a s h in my comment?
It's an April Fool's joke, now, you and seven other people are coming? That's deadly, just remember ya's have to bring a controller each. Oh, and what about TVs and stuff? I MIGHT be able to bring a TV... since there are a good few people coming now, I think it'd be best if one in every let's say, 8 people bring a TV... someone else do the math 'cos I'm in a hurry right now and I have to use the Wii's internet since the computer broke.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
That would be some April Fool's shenanigans 2022. Anyway, I'm just back from the continent, been away five days. Great to see all the support, I didn't count yet but it looks like we have 20+ people, which is class, hope to see you all there

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Any word on whether or not we have Sunday for the doubles? I wont be able to come back Sunday, but if the doubles are on Saturday theres a good chance I'll join that

Smash Rookie
Im not sure about a tv as i have to get 2 buses to get there but i can bring my wii, the game and memory card

tadonnen

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Secondary organizer here, Deadeyedave's in England for the nonce.

Ok, just browsing the comments, I'll try to answer most of the questions, but let me know if I'm missing anything:

1. Still no word on the Sunday issue. I'm not sure if, realistically, they're going to get back to us before tomorrow. They're organizing an entire gaming con, and I think we're sort of back burner at this point. To be fair to them, Deadeyedave and I told the organizers at Leprecon that we'd have no trouble organizing it, so I don't really think they've given it much thought. As of right now, the plan is to have the singles tournament around 2, have free for all play before and after, and if there's sufficient interest, maybe a doubles tournament Saturday night. If we get both days, we'll adjust the plan from there. Deadeyedave and I will try to be out at the registration desk, so anyone who's smashing can check with us before buying their con ticket so no one spends money unnecessarily. Although, I will note that there's a pretty cool con going on around us that's the main event, so there might be something else there that could be fun.

2. The con has promised us some screens, but we aren't sure exactly how many, so anyone who can bring a tele, please do. If transportation is an issue in terms of television bringing, email me at tadonnen at gmail dot com and we'll see if we can work something out.

3. What we do need are guaranteed consoles and copies of smash. We can provide two copies, and one, possibly two gamecubes. Pika, Lynkx and, I think, one other person committed to a console and a copy, so if I could just get confirmation of that, that'd be great.

4. No one's gotten back to me yet on food allergies, so I'm assuming some cupcakes and possibly brownies will suit everyone. Last chance to tell me that nuts or gluten or sugar or something will make you explode!

5. In terms of sign up, tomorrow should go something like this:
-con opens at 11, arrive at the UCD student center around then (from Clonskeagh entrance, it's the long building just before the 90 degree turn in the road, and after the round about)
-pay your con entrance fee (5 EUR for one day, 8 EUR for two days). Either Deadeyedave or I will be at the front desk to give you up to date info on the situation for Sunday.
-Separately, pay your smash tournament entrance fee. This is 2EUR and will probably be paid either at the front desk or in the room itself. At this time, we will also:
-take down serial numbers of any consoles brought, and tag controllers and consoles with a color coded tag (to avoid mix-ups when breaking that evening)
-(optional) take down names, internet handles, and email addresses so that we can start a mailing list for any future smash events we can organize
-register interest for the doubles tournament. We won't take money then, but just jot down you and your partner's name if you'd participate.

After the front desk logistics are taken care of, we'll set up the room and start playing. Around 1:30, we'll throw everyone's name into a hat to determine who plays whom. I've never been to a gaming tournament before, so Deadeyedave will handle the details of this. At 2, we'll start the tournament.

Anyway, I think that covers all questions and gives a pretty good outline of how tomorrow will pan out, but if I've missed anything, or anyone has any questions, feel free to email me (tadonnen at gmail dot com) or come and find me on campus =).

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Thank you Tadonnen.

Gentlemen, I have stolen a few moments of internet between meetings, and spoken to Vaticon and we are confirmed to have THREE screens at the con, THIS means that we need three consoles and three copies of the game. (and not to state the obvious, if you're bringing a Wii, you'll need a Wii-remote/sensor bar to get INTO the Gamecube channel).

There is NO, I repeat NO need for anybody to bring a TV. I think that will make things excessively complicated, and unfortunately cumbersome .

I can supply one Gamecube and one copy of the game, so I just need commitment from 2 other people to do the same.

And I would very much like to set up an Irish Smashers Mailing list, because a lot of times I've come on to check Smashboards when I have had internet, they've been down.

The only other matter of business is that IF we do get Sunday, due to recently developing real life activities, I may not be able to attend that day, and therefore not run the thing.

So IF this is the case, and everyone's happy with the way Saturday goes, could I get a volunteer to take charge of the signups and potential doubles tournament on Sunday?

Pikaville

Dave.You are a legend.

I cant wait for tomorrow.Hope you guys have been practicing.I dont know whether to main Falco or Sheik.(I suppose it depends on the matchup and the counterpick thing too)

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I have been practicing, but not intensely what with school and all. I'm going for the fun mainly (in other words, I know for sure I'm gonna lose) :D

Oh, and what about when people are idle? What'll they do? As in, not everyone can being playing Smash at the same time, be it competitive or FFA.

Smash Rookie
I would like to think i would win :) but i think the chances of that are slim :/. I think it will be great playing people with there main as sheak an the like. Ive played agenst a decent mario, marth, falco, falcon and ness so it should be interesting :)

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
If you're still caught for a Gamecube I can bring my Wii, sorry for the late notice but if there's a post here regarding it before tomorrow morning I'll bring it along. (Haven't got a copy of the game tho, which says a lot for my chances..:()
Been playing Brawl for the last week in the college Sci-Fi society tho, hopefully it's kept me someway Melee-sharp.:bee:

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Yes Eriatarka, please bring your Wii.

Gentlemen, We need ONE console and TWO copies of Smash.
Focus the discussion please, nobody will be playing ANY mains unless we have the equipment.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm bringing Smash, GameCube and a memory card. I could ask one of my friends to bring another copy of Smash and a memory card.

Only a few more hours!

And this is my 300th post

THIS IS SPARTA!!

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Wish I could go tomorrow... d*mn, it was so fun! And so tense as well! The most tense part was when we thought all of DeadEyeDave's data was over written, lol.

Nah, jk. For me it was the Doubles Final

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
That was excellent gentlemen, I enjoyed that very much. We had a fine turn-out, and a lot of genuinely sound people.

I'll do a write-up and upload the pictures tomorrow, but for now I'm just sending out the mailing list in-case anyone needs to clarify anything with anyone else for tomorrow.

Just to repeat, what I told you all in person, I'm not running tomorrow's event (I'll pop by for an hour or so in the afternoon though), I believe Aidan is taking that honour, so hopefully everyone will be just as forthcoming with controllers and equipment as they were today.

So if everyone checks the e-mail addresses they gave me, you should have everyone's contact details.

Lynkx said:
The most tense part was when we thought all of DeadEyeDave's data was over written, lol.
Yeah, that was pretty close. I would have lost a great many hundreds of hours multiplay in that game, and that would have made me sad. Lighting quick reactions saved the day in the end though.

Smash Rookie
Thank for the great time today :D guys and hopefully we can do it again very soon :D.

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
It's a real pity Risky wasn't there... he basically started the whole thing... kinda. Until DeadEyeDave came in with his organisational skillz.

Would you say he'll make it tomorrow?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
That was a great tournament, well done to Pikaville, great matches against him, both of my finals matches were so intense. I'd definitly go to any future tournys, unfortunately Im busy tomorrow so I cant make it

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Hey all, it went great by the sounds of things, I'm sorry I missed it but it couldn't be avoided. If anyone has the correct placings please post them and I'll do up the opening post with the results

Anyway glad to see it was a success and I'll be at the next one for sure. I'll be at Gamecon XIII in a few weeks time so if anyone wants a game let me know, I'd love to see how I match up against the rest of you. Let me know if you're interested for details and the like, cheers

Oh yeah and did anyone record any matches? Love to see them

Anyway it's good just to have connections set up so hopefully we can start Smashing a lot more and show the English who's boss

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
Lynkx recorded the Singles Finals between me and Pikaville, he also took a picture of the placings so he can tell you who came where

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I have the picture of the set up thing but it's a bit far away. I recorded the last three matches of Gory Snake vs. Pikaville, so if anyone just wants to see the last match, let me know. If only we hadda recorded the doubles final, we coulda seen myself and Gory Snake playing tennis at one point, lol.

I also have a picture of Pikaville with a big grin on his face shortly after winning the doubles final!

Pikaville

Yeah I really want to see that.Just want to thank everyone who came.You guys rock!We should definitly have another one when everyone is free for the summer.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Alright cool cool, whoever has the videos could you post links here? cheers

And yeah we should definitely get somethin going over the summer. No one up for Gamecon XIII though?

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
My least proudest moment playing Smash, I usually play much better than that. Lynkx is sending me the other 2 rounds, I should have them up on youtube either today or tomorrow

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
The recording quality is great, nicely done. Would like to see the other 2 rounds at some point, I seem to remember a fair few 'WOW!' moments in those games too.
Sorry for intruding into the side of the screen by the way, didn't realise I was so fidgety..:(

Great Youtube name Lynkx.:laugh:

Top Bottom