• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tingle for Brawl!

Hong

The Strongest
I seriously doubt Sakurai would completely ignore most American fans and put Tingle in Brawl as a PC. They have to be aware that he's very much despised and loathed in America.
Plus, he's a side character in a couple of Zelda games,
But has appeared more than any other NPC. That and he has had two of his own games, with a third one coming.
not an important character. Midna has a much better chance, due to being very popular, and being basically the main character of TP.
Popular? Somewhat. Main character? Definately more imput and Navi or Marin, but not a main character
despite being the base of the title
. The game is Link from start to finish. He has too much self judgement for Midna to be a main character. Even if she was, that's one game. Tingle is the main of three, and also helped Link and gave him advice in Wind Waker. Taking Japan into account, Tingle would definately be more popular than Midna, even if you take into account anti-Tingles.
I would appreciate it if I'm not harrassed for expressing my honest opinions. :(
Don't worry. This isn't the Ridley thread. :p

Sinn

Smash Lord
Not that I want to sound difficult...but were any of the games Tingle has stared in nearly as epic as Zelda? Speaking of which, do they even have any other familiar Zelda characters or references to them?

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I would appreciate it if I'm not harrassed for expressing my honest opinions. :(
You won't, since you're not really insulting anyone. :p
Lunadis already finished explaining the rest. Personally, I think being a reoccurring character is more important than being popular when it comes to getting in Brawl and Tingle fits that like a glove. Even if that doesn't get him in, he can easily get in as representative of his own games.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
What do you base that theory on, actually?
The fact that despite that I am still a noob when it comes to gaming, I can still recognize all the side characters* introduced so far because they are so reoccurring and mentioned so often. In contrast, I had no idea who Geno was until I did some research on him after I came here. O_o

*side characters, not main ones. I didn't recognize the Ice Climbers and I wouldn't have recognized Pit if I didn't remember his trophy from Melee, but they don't count because they were still the main characters of their games.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The fact that despite that I am still a noob when it comes to gaming, I can still recognize all the side characters* introduced so far because they are so reoccurring and mentioned so often. In contrast, I had no idea who Geno was until I did some research on him after I came here. O_o

*side characters, not main ones. I didn't recognize the Ice Climbers and I wouldn't have recognized Pit if I didn't remember his trophy from Melee, but they don't count because they were still the main characters of their games.
Well, Mario RPG was one of the most famous, and best games On any nintendo consel...unless your really young, which isn't Geno's fault...a lot of people (at least gamers) know of him.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
Or didn't live in America or Japan, as I believe they are the only areas that SMRPG was released. PAL regions never got the game.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
What about Sheik?
Sheik is part of Zelda, the Zelda in Ocarina of Time in which Melee!Zelda was based on, so it was natural Sheik would appear.

@Fabiano: He appeared with a name change. :p And we're gonna see about that, after all, Sakurai said he wanted to balance Brawl out more than Melee.

@PsychoIncarnate: Actually, I was six years old when it came out, and I didn't get any consoles until I was 8 or 9 with the pokemon fanaticism. I was more of an outgoing child - and a young girl if that has anything to do with anything. :laugh: I know that Nintendo made an oot for gamecube and that's how I played that, is there something similar with the RPG?
Also, Geno may be recognizable, but clearly not that much and he's not reoccurring at all.

Fawriel

Smash Master

Recognizability has more to do with popularity than actual recurrence.
What about Sheik, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Marth, the first generation Pokemon starters and Ike...
What about Toad, generic enemies, and so on...

There are seemingly many criteria determining who gets in, but frankly, recurring in a series is probably the least important. =/

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Recognizability has more to do with popularity than actual recurrence.
What about Sheik, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Marth, the first generation Pokemon starters and Ike...
What about Toad, generic enemies, and so on...

There are seemingly many criteria determining who gets in, but frankly, recurring in a series is probably the least important. =/
For starters, I have NOTHING against Geno being in Brawl, so please don't get the wrong idea, I just don't think people should be so sure of him being in.
I already explained Sheik.
Jigglypuff was very reoccurring in the pokemon cartoon, and Mewtwo appeared as the lv. 70 pokemon in 3 games; Red, Blue and Yellow. I'd guess 4 if you include Green which wasn't released in the States. Plus he had his own movie. I'd also point out fire red and leaf green, but they were released afterwards. The first generation of pokemon starters goes back to red, blue and green and fire-red and leaf-green. Marth and Ike are the main characters of their games, or so I hear, so I don't think they count like I said before.

I also hear that the most requested characters for Melee weren't always the ones that got in, but then again that may have largely been due to time shortage issues.

I think that being reoccurring, and thus, recognizable is key to getting in as a representative of a series when considering a side character.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
For starters, I have NOTHING against Geno being in Brawl, so please don't get the wrong idea, I just don't think people should be so sure of him being in.
Jigglypuff was very reoccurring in the pokemon cartoon, and Mewtwo appeared as the lv. 70 pokemon in 3 games; Red, Blue and Yellow. I'd guess 4 if you include Green which wasn't released in the States. Plus he had his own movie. I'd also point out fire red and leaf green, but they were released afterwards. The first generation of pokemon starters goes back to red, blue and green and fire-red and leaf-green. Marth and Ike are the main characters of their games, or so I hear, so I don't think they count like I said before.

I also hear that the most requested characters for Melee weren't always the ones that got in, but then again that may have largely been due to time shortage issues.
Technically they are the same game, just released with only slight differences...Fire Red and Leaf Green are just remakes of Red and Blue (Blue in Japan was actually a remake of Red and Green BTW that is more similar to our Red and Blue then their Red and Green)

And Geno, technically is reoccuring, since he has been in 2 games, one relatively recently in Mario & Luigi Super whatever the hell...Even though it was a cameo, mewtwo has only been reoccuring because of multiple remakes of the same game

Fawriel

Smash Master
Jigglypuff was very reoccurring in the pokemon cartoon, and Mewtwo appeared as the lv. 70 pokemon in 3 games; Red, Blue and Yellow. I'd guess 4 if you include Green which wasn't released in the States. Plus he had his own movie. I'd also point out fire red and leaf green, but they were released afterwards. The first generation of pokemon starters goes back to red, blue and green and fire-red and leaf-green. Marth and Ike are the main characters of their games, so I don't think they count, like I said before.
This isn't about Geno, it's about how I find your most important criterion terribly illogical.

I agree about Sheik, yes.
Jigglypuff was somewhat recurring in the anime, but far less so than Meowth, Koffing, Ekans and a bunch of others. Its recurrence and role in the anime is what made it popular, which got it into Brawl.
Mewtwo was in ONE generation. You can't just call the red and blue and yellow versions completely different games, they are all versions of the same thing. Mewtwo was in one stand-alone game-type-thing, all its versions and remakes. Well, and Pokemon Stadium. But most important is its role there, which gained it notoriety and thus, popularity.
The starters are not recurring. As I said, they were in one game that just happened to have several versions and remakes. I mean, you might as well say that Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia has been in two games because they added a bit of stuff for the Playstation 2 version.
Marth has been in, what, two Fire Emblem games? Yes, he was the main character. But he represented the series. Because he's the first one, and popular. Not because he was in two games, because the same can be said about a bunch of other lords as well.

I think there is the flaw in your logic that recurrence and popularity affect one another. But recurrence alone says nothing about a characters' chances, only if that recurrence is coupled with decent amounts of popularity ( and other factors that are even more important, like significance and personality ). Otherwise, I'd expect Malon to become a Zelda rep in a future Smash game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People seem to think that reoccurance is the only requirement to get in Brawl, yet at the same time they accept characters in recent games, that we will prob never see again...

Popularity is a more important factor but when it comes down to it...

...Sakurai picks who he wants

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Technically they are the same game, just released with only slight differences...Fire Red and Leaf Green are just remakes of Red and Blue (Blue in Japan was actually a remake of Red and Green BTW that is more similar to our Red and Blue then their Red and Green)

And Geno, technically is reoccuring, since he has been in 2 games, one relatively recently in Mario & Luigi Super whatever the hell...Even though it was a cameo, mewtwo has only been reoccuring because of multiple remakes of the same game

Yes, they are the same game released with improvements, per say, but it's still several appearances and that permits a 12 year old being able to recognize him without having to play Melee and having only to play the last few games. A young teen can look at Mewtwo and say "yeah, that pokemon!" even if his/her town was unaffected by the pokemon craze somehow and he/she only became familiar with pokemon recently. The same young teen who may have just gotten familiar with Super Mario just at the same time as pokemon would look at Geno and ask "who's that and from what game is it?" Get Geno into a very recent game and I'd totally believe he's in, but it's kind of been a while.

@PsychoIncarnate: Indeed. I'm there with you in that case of characters that have only appeared once, but I don't think popularity is such a big importance as people say.
Sakurai may pick who he wants, but he's a grown man and a professional so I doubt he'd put his own personal preference over much. If he did, he probably would have put more than one Kirby representative in Melee, then again it was those time issues again...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Yes, they are the same game released with improvements, per say, but it's still several appearances and that permits a 12 year old being able to recognize him without having to play Melee and having only to play the last few games. A young teen can look at Mewtwo and say "yeah, that pokemon!" even if his/her town was unaffected by the pokemon craze somehow and he/she only became familiar with pokemon recently. The same young teen who may have just gotten familiar with Super Mario just at the same time as pokemon would look at Geno and ask "who's that and from what game is it?" Get Geno into a very recent game and I'd totally believe he's in, but it's kind of been a while.
He's been in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, which came out a couple years ago

Sinn

Smash Lord
We do have to keep in mind that they're re-releasing SMRPG for the VC before the end of the year (or at least that's what was announced), and anyone who can play Brawl will probably have access to it (unless they don't have Wi-Fi).

Reyairia

Smash Champion
He's been in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, which came out a couple years ago
Before or after Melee? And how much of a role did he play? Tell me, I'm interested.

We do have to keep in mind that they're re-releasing SMRPG for the VC before the end of the year (or at least that's what was announced), and anyone who can play Brawl will probably have access to it (unless they don't have Wi-Fi).
Good point, and adding Geno in would be a great way to advertise the rerelease, though I'm wondering if just a simple rerelease (unlike fire-red and leaf-green that had a lot of touch-ups) counts.

Sorry if I'm coming out a bit too offensive, because I'm really not against Geno's inclusion, I'm just on the skeptic side.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Before or after Melee? And how much of a role did he play? Tell me, I'm interested.

Good point, and adding Geno in would be a great way to advertise the rerelease, though I'm wondering if just a simple rerelease (unlike fire-red and leaf-green that had a lot of touch-ups) counts.

Sorry if I'm coming out a bit too offensive, because I'm really not against Geno's inclusion, I'm just on the skeptic side.
After by a couple years...He didn't play a big role though, but he was in the game.

Right now, the only reason he may not get into game is the unknown relationship with Square...and whether or not they will let Nintendo use ANY of their characters as PC.

It is practically assured IF a Square character gets in, it will be Geno.

Also, though he technically counts as a third party, Sakurai may count him as 1st in the roster list, though with credit to Square, because he will most likely use the Mario crew's icon. I think he mean more along the lines of 3 third party franchise characters when he said that statement, seeing as how Sonic, Megaman, and Snake all have their own icons...

Reyairia

Smash Champion
This isn't about Geno, it's about how I find your most important criterion terribly illogical.

I agree about Sheik, yes.
Jigglypuff was somewhat recurring in the anime, but far less so than Meowth, Koffing, Ekans and a bunch of others. Its recurrence and role in the anime is what made it popular, which got it into Brawl.
Mewtwo was in ONE generation. You can't just call the red and blue and yellow versions completely different games, they are all versions of the same thing. Mewtwo was in one stand-alone game-type-thing, all its versions and remakes. Well, and Pokemon Stadium. But most important is its role there, which gained it notoriety and thus, popularity.
The starters are not recurring. As I said, they were in one game that just happened to have several versions and remakes. I mean, you might as well say that Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia has been in two games because they added a bit of stuff for the Playstation 2 version.
Marth has been in, what, two Fire Emblem games? Yes, he was the main character. But he represented the series. Because he's the first one, and popular. Not because he was in two games, because the same can be said about a bunch of other lords as well.

I think there is the flaw in your logic that recurrence and popularity affect one another. But recurrence alone says nothing about a characters' chances, only if that recurrence is coupled with decent amounts of popularity ( and other factors that are even more important, like significance and personality ). Otherwise, I'd expect Malon to become a Zelda rep in a future Smash game.
(Sorry about that, didn't see it)

I never said that popularity wasn't a factor, because I think it is, I just think reocurrance comes first. Jigglypuff's popularity enabled it to be in Melee (one could argue the fact that Jigglypuff is - while not exactly female, appealing to girls which may have helped it gain a spot in a predominantly male character game even more). Yes, I think popularity may have given Jigglypuff the boost it needed to get a spot, but I think that being reoccurring made it a contender in the first place.

Red, Blue and Yellow may have been different versions of the same game and storyline, but I disagree that they are exactly the same game. They had different names and were considered separate by the market. Differences were minor, but they were still there so I consider Mewtwo appearing in each one of them as a different appearance, sort of the same way Entei, Raikou and Suicune appear differently depending on which starter you choose at the beginning of fire-red and leaf-green, but the fact that these three change decrease their chances and with Mewtwo it does not. And again, Mewtwo got his own movie and appeared in remakes. So he has appeared often enough for anyone to be able to recognize him.

The three starters were incredibly important at the beginning of the pokemon cartoon, and once again are no longer a first generation thing, but a more recent generation due to the remakes. Yes, they are remakes, but at the same time it's a second, more recent appearance with a different name and more pokemon. A 12 year old is now able to recognize Charizard as much as he/she can recognize, say, Infernape.

The Playstation 2 version still goes under the same name and is not considered a separate game by itself. Yellow and Red are considered separate games.

Marth is the main character of the games he appears in, and I'm talking about the chances a sidecharacter can get in.

As for Malon... Eh, well, you kind of got me there because I'm not sure how I could explain why she wouldn't be included in Brawl, but you never know either.
- Lol, now I feel like making an Epona for Brawl! joke thread. :laugh:

After by a couple years...He didn't play a big role though, but he was in the game.
Hum, that definitely boosts up his chances by a long shot. Even if it's a relatively minor appearance it still is an appearance.

Right now, the only reason he may not get into game is the unknown relationship with Square...and whether or not they will let Nintendo use ANY of their characters as PC.

It is practically assured IF a Square character gets in, it will be Geno.
.[/QUOTE]

I don't think SQUARE's relationship with Nintendo is anything short of really good and I doubt it'd get in the way at all. On the part that you say that it's assured if a SQUARE character gets in, I wouldn't be so sure (then again, maybe I'm not 100% caught up on nintendo news either) because I'd guess that SQUARE would prefer to suggest a Final Fantasy character, after all, that franchise is considered one of the best of all time and is incredibly popular.

Fawriel

Smash Master
...............................................................................................................

I think what you mean all this time is "recognizability", not "recurrence". That's what it's spelled like, by the way.

*sigh*
Oh well.
As long as you realize that other factors are more important.

The most important thing, I think, is still personality, also known as "what Sakurai likes".
The Icies, for example, are probably the heroes of their own game and stuff, but that game was really unimportant and is hardly one of the top contenders for a rep among Nintendo's stars. You could call them not side-characters, but main characters of a side-game, so-to-speak.
Yet Sakurai chose them above the likes of, what'shisname, the Excite Bike guy or something, because they have personality.

And that, I think, is a really important factor for Geno. He's a puppet obsessed by the soul of a star! Right up old Sakurai's alley!

Of course, you may think that giving such importance to one's own tastes is unprofessional, but, think about it. He's a person, he has feelings. You can't determine how well a person will be received by checking statistics and market value and stuff. That is why he doesn't only pay attention to popular characters, but also interesting old-timers.
If Sakurai feels that something's just right for his game, chances are he will be able to make something amazing out of it.

Now, Tingle may go either way. Sakurai could either be completely in love with him or think he won't add much because he would add nothing to a game that already has clumsy Luigi and greedy, fat and goofy Wario.
His fanbase is large, but so is his hatebase, so I'd rate his value there a 7.5 on a scale from 1 to 10 due to riskiness.
And finally, his recurrence is good and all, but that factor is overshadowed by actual significance, which is also a factor... it's what gave us Mr. G&W, an important figure for Nintendo's history, and all the big icons.

In contrast, Midna, especially if paired with Wolf Link, would add a huge lot per default, and her personality is outstanding.
Her fanbase is, from what I could gather, rather huge ( I have my... sources. >_> <_< ), and there's no notable hate goin' 'round.
She's not recurring, but she was important in TP... she wasn't extremely active, but more so than Zelda, and although Link did everything, he was lead by her. He was more of an executive for the big boss Midna, if you know what I mean.
And her female factor just adds to that.

So, yes, I truly believe Midna's chances are a little greater than Tingle's.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
(Sorry about that, didn't see it)

I never said that popularity wasn't a factor, because I think it is, I just think reocurrance comes first. Jigglypuff's popularity enabled it to be in Melee (one could argue the fact that Jigglypuff is - while not exactly female, appealing to girls which may have helped it gain a spot in a predominantly male character game even more). Yes, I think popularity may have given Jigglypuff the boost it needed to get a spot, but I think that being reoccurring made it a contender in the first place.

Red, Blue and Yellow may have been different versions of the same game and storyline, but I disagree that they are exactly the same game. They had different names and were considered separate by the market. Differences were minor, but they were still there so I consider Mewtwo appearing in each one of them as a different appearance, sort of the same way Entei, Raikou and Suicune appear differently depending on which starter you choose at the beginning of fire-red and leaf-green, but the fact that these three change decrease their chances and with Mewtwo it does not. And again, Mewtwo got his own movie and appeared in remakes. So he has appeared often enough for anyone to be able to recognize him.

The three starters were incredibly important at the beginning of the pokemon cartoon, and once again are no longer a first generation thing, but a more recent generation due to the remakes. Yes, they are remakes, but at the same time it's a second, more recent appearance with a different name and more pokemon. A 12 year old is now able to recognize Charizard as much as he/she can recognize, say, Infernape.

The Playstation 2 version still goes under the same name and is not considered a separate game by itself. Yellow and Red are considered separate games.

Marth is the main character of the games he appears in, and I'm talking about the chances a sidecharacter can get in.

As for Malon... Eh, well, you kind of got me there because I'm not sure how I could explain why she wouldn't be included in Brawl, but you never know either.
- Lol, now I feel like making an Epona for Brawl! joke thread. :laugh:

Hum, that definitely boosts up his chances by a long shot. Even if it's a relatively minor appearance it still is an appearance.

I don't think SQUARE's relationship with Nintendo is anything short of really good and I doubt it'd get in the way at all. On the part that you say that it's assured if a SQUARE character gets in, I wouldn't be so sure (then again, maybe I'm not 100% caught up on nintendo news either) because I'd guess that SQUARE would prefer to suggest a Final Fantasy character, after all, that franchise is considered one of the best of all time and is incredibly popular.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think Sakurai would in the least as for Geno, which I don't think they would have a problem with...

Final Fantasy characters, right now, have their own fighting game coming out...

No character is assured, but his chances are fairly good.

...and of course one of the music directors worked on Mario RPG but that, of course, doesn't make a signficant difference.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Well, I think Sakurai would in the least as for Geno, which I don't think they would have a problem with...

Final Fantasy characters, right now, have their own fighting game coming out...

No character is assured, but his chances are fairly good.

...and of course one of the music directors worked on Mario RPG but that, of course, doesn't make a signficant difference.
I don't think Sakurai has anything against Geno, but hey, I'm being a realist here, and Brawl + Final Fantasy = $$. Loads of it. As a member of DeviantART and a stickler on Fanfiction.net I know very well Final Fantasy's fanbase size.

I can see Geno's chances being fairly good now, because finally someone pointed out a recent appearance. :p It definitely boosts up his chances in my eyes.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
...............................................................................................................

I think what you mean all this time is "recognizability", not "recurrence". That's what it's spelled like, by the way.

*sigh*
Oh well.
As long as you realize that other factors are more important.

The most important thing, I think, is still personality, also known as "what Sakurai likes".
The Icies, for example, are probably the heroes of their own game and stuff, but that game was really unimportant and is hardly one of the top contenders for a rep among Nintendo's stars. You could call them not side-characters, but main characters of a side-game, so-to-speak.
Yet Sakurai chose them above the likes of, what'shisname, the Excite Bike guy or something, because they have personality.

And that, I think, is a really important factor for Geno. He's a puppet obsessed by the soul of a star! Right up old Sakurai's alley!

Of course, you may think that giving such importance to one's own tastes is unprofessional, but, think about it. He's a person, he has feelings. You can't determine how well a person will be received by checking statistics and market value and stuff. That is why he doesn't only pay attention to popular characters, but also interesting old-timers.
If Sakurai feels that something's just right for his game, chances are he will be able to make something amazing out of it.

Now, Tingle may go either way. Sakurai could either be completely in love with him or think he won't add much because he would add nothing to a game that already has clumsy Luigi and greedy, fat and goofy Wario.
His fanbase is large, but so is his hatebase, so I'd rate his value there a 7.5 on a scale from 1 to 10 due to riskiness.
And finally, his recurrence is good and all, but that factor is overshadowed by actual significance, which is also a factor... it's what gave us Mr. G&W, an important figure for Nintendo's history, and all the big icons.

In contrast, Midna, especially if paired with Wolf Link, would add a huge lot per default, and her personality is outstanding.
Her fanbase is, from what I could gather, rather huge ( I have my... sources. >_> <_< ), and there's no notable hate goin' 'round.
She's not recurring, but she was important in TP... she wasn't extremely active, but more so than Zelda, and although Link did everything, he was lead by her. He was more of an executive for the big boss Midna, if you know what I mean.
And her female factor just adds to that.

So, yes, I truly believe Midna's chances are a little greater than Tingle's.
I don't realize other factors are more important. I think that recurrence is what make a character have a chance, and popularity is what secures it.

The Icies may have been a small, unimportant game, but it still is it's own game independent from any other and they're still the main characters. The Excite Bike guy... well, for starters we don't know if he may appear in Brawl or not (not saying that he will of course), and he's not so much important as much as his bike is.

I doubt that what Sakurai likes is unimportant, but at the same time I doubt Nintendo as a whole will just let Sakurai do whatever he wants no ifs, ands or buts either.
In that case, though, Sakurai is probably a fan of Tingle as well if he likes the goofy and sparkly things. :p

I can see Wolf Link being put into the equation because he is Link, and Link is the main character. It's a similar scenario with the Zelda/Sheik thing in Melee. However, Midna alone (as much as I'd prefer seeing her alone than with Wolf Link) is harder to believe. During most of the game she was little more than Navi in OOT, and while yes, her name was in the title, she wasn't that important when it came to saving the world from Twilight because as she said, she kind of failed at doing anything about Zant to begin with. In that way, her importance is probably less than or equal to Tippi's in Super Paper Mario and I doubt we'll be seeing either again, and I don't see a Tippi for Brawl thread around either.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I don't realize other factors are more important. I think that recurrence is what make a character have a chance, and popularity is what secures it.
In that case, I give up.
I can see Wolf Link being put into the equation because he is Link, and Link is the main character. It's a similar scenario with the Zelda/Sheik thing in Melee. However, Midna alone (as much as I'd prefer seeing her alone than with Wolf Link) is harder to believe. During most of the game she was little more than Navi in OOT, and while yes, her name was in the title, she wasn't that important when it came to saving the world from Twilight because as she said, she kind of failed at doing anything about Zant to begin with. In that way, her importance is probably less than or equal to Tippi's in Super Paper Mario and I doubt we'll be seeing either again, and I don't see a Tippi for Brawl thread around either.
Actually, don't I distinctly recall Midna
doing a lot of butt-kicking, like defeating Zant and helping Link wrestle down beast-form Ganon? Also, she broke down that barrier... and probably did some stuff that I forgot.
Not to mention that the story revolved around her, so calling her unimportant is on par with calling, say... Peach unimportant. With the exception of the occasional off-spin playable role and her main character role in Super Princess Peach, which came after Melee, Peach served only as a plot device, which makes her less important to the Mario series as a whole than the rather active Midna to the TP game. Well, proportionally. In this case, recurrence is an issue.

Have faith in Midna!

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I don't think Sakurai has anything against Geno, but hey, I'm being a realist here, and Brawl + Final Fantasy = $$. Loads of it. As a member of DeviantART and a stickler on Fanfiction.net I know very well Final Fantasy's fanbase size.
Geno isn't from the Final Fantasy series, he's a Mario character that acts as a protector of the Star Road, one of the most important elements in Super Mario RPG and is one of the main characters you play as in the game.

Sinn

Smash Lord
doing a lot of butt-kicking, like defeating Zant and helping Link wrestle down beast-form Ganon? Also, she broke down that barrier... and probably did some stuff that I forgot.
Not to mention that the story revolved around her, so calling her unimportant is on par with calling, say... Peach unimportant. With the exception of the occasional off-spin playable role and her main character role in Super Princess Peach, which came after Melee, Peach served only as a plot device, which makes her less important to the Mario series as a whole than the rather active Midna to the TP game. Well, proportionally. In this case, recurrence is an issue.

Have faith in Midna!
Oh so very true. Midna was like the ying to Link's yang in TP. Most of what he did he did because of her and her alone. Let's not forget that it was Midna who broke Link out of the prison in the first place when he first became a wolf. She was calling ALL the shots until after you beat the third dungeon when...well, if you've played it, you know.

Reyairia

Smash Champion

Have faith in Midna!
The story didn't really revolve around Midna, the story revolved around Zant trying to take over the "light world" and Midna giving a helping hand. As I said again, I find my Tippi-Midna comparison pretty accurate, they're both very useful characters who were with you throughout the entire game that you need and who give their identities later on, showing their importance to the storyline. Unlike Midna though,
Tippi is practically the ENTIRE reason why the whole scenario in SPM happened in the first place! While Midna was someone who was tossed aside by Zant twice and that just came back to bite him in the *** with help.
I see them more or less being of equal importance in their respective games.
Peach is probably the most recurring character after Mario and maybe Luigi. Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser are THE Mario characters so they're hands down in.

Smash Ace
and since the Zelda theme in Brawl is totally Twilight Princess (hence, Link, Zelda, BRIDGE OF ELDIN) Midna is not out of the picture. I am, however, seeing a fading away of Ocarina of Time, and moreso, Majora's mask. (OoT will never fully die. never.) Thus,

Midna > Tingle.

EDIT: Oh, and the answer to the meaning of life is 42.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
and since the Zelda theme in Brawl is totally Twilight Princess (hence, Link, Zelda, BRIDGE OF ELDIN) Midna is not out of the picture. I am, however, seeing a fading away of Ocarina of Time, and moreso, Majora's mask. (OoT will never fully die. never.) Thus,

Midna > Tingle.

EDIT: Oh, and the answer to the meaning of life is 42.
Ah, I'm not saying Midna is completely out of the picture at all. I just don't think her chances are so high as people say they are.
Midna may have appeared in the game Brawl is based on for the Zelda characters, but Tingle's recurrence makes him a better representative.

Tingle > Midna.

And if that doesn't cut it, he still can get in as representative of his own games.

Actually, the answer to the meaning of life is "well, ****."

dodoromeo

Smash Apprentice
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY!!!!! I'm sorry, I just think tingle is a very poor candidate for brawl, he's one of the few, and I mean VERY few Zelda characters that I wish to drown in a bathtub...... Besides, he was part of the background for termina bay, and thats where I think he should stay (although I'd prefer him to not even be there...)

Hong

The Strongest
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY!!!!! I'm sorry, I just think tingle is a very poor candidate for brawl, he's one of the few, and I mean VERY few Zelda characters that I wish to drown in a bathtub...... Besides, he was part of the background for termina bay, and thats where I think he should stay (although I'd prefer him to not even be there...)
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY!!!!! I'm sorry, I just think Sonic is a very poor candidate for brawl, he's one of the few, and I mean VERY few video game characters that I wish to drown in a bathtub...... Besides, while SEGA's competition fueled Nintendo, the message "GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDONT" don't shine very well on Sonic's resume.

In all honesty, you did not present any real viable reason.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY!!!!! I'm sorry, I just think Sonic is a very poor candidate for brawl, he's one of the few, and I mean VERY few video game characters that I wish to drown in a bathtub...... Besides, while SEGA's competition fueled Nintendo, the message "GENESIS DOES WHAT NINTENDONT" don't shine very well on Sonic's resume.

In all honesty, you did not present any real viable reason.
LOLOWNED.

Eh, I just think that being popular boosts the chances, but being recurring gives the chances in the first place.

Top Bottom