• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Robin's, to me, were the most disappointing so, in my opinion, you're not missing much, they're pretty underwhelming
Did.... Did you not get Thoron+?

It's literally the best thing since sliced bread.

Fire Wall is also pretty sexy.

( I do think Nos & Elwind customs are lane though)

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman

I like Elwind's customs, there fun. I will agree with Nos though. However, I would like Thoron+, if it didn't charge so slowly. I also like Arcfire+ as an Edgeguarding tool, seeing how much further it goes than normal Arcfire. What you combination with Robin's custom anyway?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I didn't get Thoron+ but all of the other ones were extremely disappointing especially for one of my mains.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'm actually rather pleased with the way that Arcfire works.. Because of it's similar properties to PK Fire, I can use some of the same tactics with Ness and Robin. :)

Ganondorf seems pleasantly buffed. My brother favors defensive fighting, so Shulk and Ganondorf are a must for him. I'm trying to point him to other defensive characters.. I think DK comes to mind.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I like Elwind's customs, there fun. I will agree with Nos though. However, I would like Thoron+, if it didn't charge so slowly. I also like Arcfire+ as an Edgeguarding tool, seeing how much further it goes than normal Arcfire. What you combination with Robin's custom anyway?
My combination 90% of the time is:

Thunder+
Fire Wall
Default Elwind
Default Nosferatu

In match-ups where we get zoned out by the other's projectiles (like, DHD for example):

Thunder+ (Sometimes Speed Thunder in specific cases)
Arcfire+ (The long-range Fireball)
Default Elwind
Default Nosferatu (Sometimes Long-range Nosferatu)

In general, I think Fire Wall is extremely powerful when it comes to zoning out opponents (especially fast characters), and is immensely valuable in helping Robin get back down to the ground safely. Shoot it at the ledge as you fall towards it, shoot it inbetween you and your opponent to claim space.... it has so many uses.

I take Thunder+ almost all of the time because I believe that Thoron++ (hold the button) is probably Robin's single most important killing tool.

That special changes how your opponents have to handle Robin.

It makes them feel pressured to approach you, because they don't want to let you charge it for free.
It makes you extremely threatening on stages where you can run away to charge it (Ferox, Prism Tower at times, Reset Bomb Forest).
ANY laggy move or reckless approach can be punished by Thoron++ for 33 damage, which often outright kills once they're at 60% or so.
It traps landings AMAZINGLY well because of how long the beam stays out. If your opponent burns their double-jump and you fire it into their path with correct timing, they have to up-B away from it or die.
It traps TECHS, too! If your opponent is in tumble, you can shoot it as they land (whether they neutral tech, hard land, or tech-roll), and it will meaty them and catch ALL of their options.

It's too good. Way way too good.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Robin seems to rely on setting up the battlefield with his/her projectiles, then bating and trapping with Arcfire.. I'm just having trouble with getting good kills in. It seems that I'm not really sure if I should play a defensive or offensive Robin.. :/

Any tips?

D

Deleted member

Funny thing is that i was playing Captain Falcon against a Male Robin, and he got a KO on me like that... on Arena Ferox.
I guess this photo was some sort of pseudo-prophecy.

Out of pity, Robin decided to let Chrom join Lucina for the Monster Hunter crossover while he continued to hone his skills for the good of the Shepherds.
That's kinda old.
Robin was supposed to be in that DLC, but he declined so that Chrom and his daughter could join instead. Chrom returned the favor by sacrificing himself to the fell dragon Gematsu and have Robin join the fray instead.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
My combination 90% of the time is:

Thunder+
Fire Wall
Default Elwind
Default Nosferatu

In match-ups where we get zoned out by the other's projectiles (like, DHD for example):

Thunder+ (Sometimes Speed Thunder in specific cases)
Arcfire+ (The long-range Fireball)
Default Elwind
Default Nosferatu (Sometimes Long-range Nosferatu)

In general, I think Fire Wall is extremely powerful when it comes to zoning out opponents (especially fast characters), and is immensely valuable in helping Robin get back down to the ground safely. Shoot it at the ledge as you fall towards it, shoot it inbetween you and your opponent to claim space.... it has so many uses.

I take Thunder+ almost all of the time because I believe that Thoron++ (hold the button) is probably Robin's single most important killing tool.

That special changes how your opponents have to handle Robin.

It makes them feel pressured to approach you, because they don't want to let you charge it for free.
It makes you extremely threatening on stages where you can run away to charge it (Ferox, Prism Tower at times, Reset Bomb Forest).
ANY laggy move or reckless approach can be punished by Thoron++ for 33 damage, which often outright kills once they're at 60% or so.
It traps landings AMAZINGLY well because of how long the beam stays out. If your opponent burns their double-jump and you fire it into their path with correct timing, they have to up-B away from it or die.
It traps TECHS, too! If your opponent is in tumble, you can shoot it as they land (whether they neutral tech, hard land, or tech-roll), and it will meaty them and catch ALL of their options.

It's too good. Way way too good.
Now Thunder+ Sounds Awesome. I am still a little iff on the slow charge, but the power makes up for that. What about Arcfire+, do you like or is there something that puts you off. I personal love it in some situations, like edgeguarding perfectly and hit the opponent the the Explosion. My combo for custom goes 1221, or if I'm really feeling 2311.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Arcfire+ is just too slow for my tastes. I enjoy it in match-ups where I just want to pelt people from afar, but most of the time I just want Fire Wall more.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
It's a damn shame Thunder+ / Fire Wall wasn't a default. It would have seriously bolstered Robin's performance in competive play.

Oh well, here's hoping Customs are widely accepted in the Wii U version.

Unkown Hero

Smash Journeyman
Arcfire+ is just too slow for my tastes. I enjoy it in match-ups where I just want to pelt people from afar, but most of the time I just want Fire Wall more.
YEah, I guess your right. Plus, Arcfire default gets the job done as well, but better. Though I really like Robin's Elwind customs, though I can never decide which one to use. It saddens me that some of the other customs for characters can't give me ht same feel (I looking at you Toon Link's Fire Arrows, I want Young Link's, not this short reaching piece of ****)

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
So yeah fought a person named Luink on For Glory mode and he used Robin against me and my Falco. It was very frustrating being on the other side of the arcfire/elthunder/arcthunder/thoron wall that I and Robin players send against people and this person was very good on top of that. I played this person for about and hour and a half and I only won like 6 of them :(. I'm pretty salt about it now and anyone else encountered this person?

EDIT: I did found out in those games that if Falco blocks an Arcfire and Robin makes an approach and the fire is about to end the Falco can reflector OOS and reflect the flames and possibly punish the approach. Be careful in the near future for this but I want this tested out more if possible if it was only due to the online lag or something?

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace

I actually really like Nosferatu's customs. The default and Distant Nosferatu reminds me of how the spells really work in Fire Emblem, and Goetia is Goetia.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Robin seems to rely on setting up the battlefield with his/her projectiles, then bating and trapping with Arcfire.. I'm just having trouble with getting good kills in. It seems that I'm not really sure if I should play a defensive or offensive Robin.. :/

Any tips?
Anyone...? Don't leave a fellow tactician hanging! :4robinm:

Last edited:

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

Any tips?
Honestly, I'm not completely positive but i can at least offer some input to get you thinking.
Robin has a hard time with anyone who has a camping game. Arcfire doesn't go far enough to make a difference and usually their projectiles can cancel any of your thunder moves except for Thoron, which you probably wont get the chance to charge too often. In this case you're forced to be the aggressor. Just be careful, Robins options for approach aren't always that great. Sometimes it may be a good idea to get just close enough that you could punish them for using another projectile or force them to attack you. Even if you're the one chasing, remember to have a defensive game.
With other characters, use your tomes to harass with thunder and space/set up with arcfire. You would be more defensive in this case. Try to kill them with a levine sword aerial or punish a roll with a down smash (which has a small hitbox behind you). This is hard but also note that if you can catch a broken tome, those can usually kill at somewhere around 130, maybe lower.

If a more credible person wants to reiterate or correct some of the things I said, please do.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
Anyone...? Don't leave a fellow tactician hanging! :4robinm:
Defensive Robin is good to zone with Arcfire or any charge of Thunder, and then go offensive with Levin Sword followups while they're trapped in Arcfire/Arcthunder. Also, against projectile users try getting in on them offensively, but be careful and zone with Arcfire if they're getting close to you with an attack. For rush down characters like Little Mac, be more defensive and just try getting them off you with quick moves like jab or ftilt. If you want to go all out offensive, get rid of your Noseferatu to throw the tome for a quick KO. Just my two cents and how I play. but use your own knowledge, since a tactician is very strategic you'll be fine as long as you analyze the situation. Overall though I'd say a mix of defensive and offensive is best since Robin is a very flexible character. :4robinm:

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
So I used a custom Luigi to beat Classic Mode on 9.0 Intensity today.

I think the experience that stuck out the most to me is that enabling custom characters turns the Fighting Mii Team into a bloody nightmare to battle against. They won't die before you rack up damage on them, they won't stop hitting you, Gunner is out of reach to KO your sorry ass with their F-Smash while the Bravler and/or Swordfighter teach you what it means to be Sandbag in the meantime (as well as to keep you in place for said Gunner), and when you do kill them, they quickly reinforce their ranks and keep up the pressure. I nominate Fighting Mii Team as the most difficult battle when you're playing custom character Classic.

I believe the reason for that is because they get to use the best equipment you've got which make them more like normal characters and less like the small fries they're supposed to be.

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
How do you use custom not-Mii characters on Classic? Even after making them, it just automatically chooses default for me (except the Miis).

Last edited:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555

I feel like I'm Tipping Scales every battle when I'm playing Robin now. But I like him. So, quick question: How do you know when it's "Time to Tip the Scales"?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I've actually landed Nosferatu in online play; shame it recovers very little from the front.

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
Nosferatu still helps, though. Lowest you'll recover is 1%, but at least it scales. Speaking of scales, does Robin Tip the Scales with that thing when he's at 100% and the opponent is at 0%?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I wish i could post my pleasant experiences with Robin in for Glory, but in true my internet connection sucks and 9/10 matches i play are unplayable, so all these fancy gimping techniques that i try end up in me self destructing due to horrible input lag.
Well at least i'm doing well against lvl. 9 CPU's :4robinm:

Last edited:

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
I'm trying to beat Classic on 9.0, and Magicant can go burn. Freaking Flying Men break everything. Same with new R.O.B. I've tried everything, even custom characters. How do you do it?

EDIT: It's that freaking team battle part. My partner is always more useless than a sack of potatoes, and they gang up on me and magically know my exact moves and win.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I'm trying to beat Classic on 9.0, and Magicant can go burn. Freaking Flying Men break everything. Same with new R.O.B. I've tried everything, even custom characters. How do you do it?

EDIT: It's that freaking team battle part. My partner is always more useless than a sack of potatoes, and they gang up on me and magically know my exact moves and win.
Make a tank Ganondwarf, a lot of defense and attack, and just play defensively against them.

Top Bottom