• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Out of pure curiousity, which of you believed the Gematsu leak and thought it was outdated information, and thought plans could've changed and that Chrom would be cut for Robin before his reveal trailer came. I honestly should've known that sooner, but the Mii Fighters name seemed way too convincing to be outdated at all.
That would be me. I thought the Gematsu leak was more than likely real, but there was clear evidence suggesting that the information leaked was both outdated and incomplete. Couple that with a variety of small hints towards Robin and against Chrom, and I thought there was a real, but perhaps unlikely, possibility that Robin had replaced Chrom during the unpredictable development process.

The Mii Fighters bit just suggested that the the leaker had access to E3 information; the fact that he didn't mention them by the proper name until right before they were revealed was just further evidence pointing towards the leak having primarily outdated information.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Out of pure curiousity, which of you believed the Gematsu leak and thought it was outdated information, and thought plans could've changed and that Chrom would be cut for Robin before his reveal trailer came. I honestly should've known that sooner, but the Mii Fighters name seemed way too convincing to be outdated at all.
I'd be lying if I said I was never even slightly convinced that it might be real, but overall, I thought the second leak at least was probably a load of ********.

And whaddya know, I was right!

Hong

The Strongest
It would be the more logical choice to accept that information was generally leaked.

But despite my protest, everyone refused to look at clear evidence that information was leaked by someone not involved with the development of the game. If they were, they wouldn't have made so many mistakes and given such vague information. That alone gave me a plethora of possible suspects, which I iterated on several times both here and on other forums. Of course people would call me "biased", "in denial", or "delusional", even though I stated that I would still have the same opinion no matter who was on the leak, and to think I would be lying about my opinion only serves to be disrespectful.

A leak is just that; a leak. Not an official statement. Even if it has true information (which it did), it's up to you to know how to manage this information correctly. No offence, but anyone with any level of absolutely basic critical thinking, and anyone who can rationally sit down and think about this, would not have been at all surprised by Robin's appearance.

The only surprise was the timing itself, as well as the company of Lucina.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I really like the addition of Robin in Smash. He/She looks to be an intriguing character to use. It's great to see Fire Emblem get more representation in Smash and I definitely need to get into the series in the near future.

Hong

The Strongest
45% crit chance, roughly 50% dual strike chance, and Lethality at capped Skill

attacks twice with no crit, dual strike, or skills

enemy survives with 1 HP

Next time I attack the same enemy, Lethality activates, along with a pointless crit

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
when did this hit over 200? it was only 100 a few months ago.
Well, whenever a character gets confirmed playable you can count on a good couple hundred posts easy as new people flood in. Other than that, Robin's been shown in trailers to be pretty cool so people are interested.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I still can't not see them as Jedi warriors. :4robinf::4robinm:
I feel tempted to use Photoshop to make their cloaks more like Jedi robes.

Chrom: There are better places to take a nap than on the ground you know. Give me your hand.
Robin: Thank you.
*waves hand*
I now command your army.
Chrom: You now command my army.
Robin: I am now the lead protagonist of this story.
Chrom: You are now the lead protagonist of this story.
Robin: I will be marrying your daughter in less than three years from now.
Chrom: You will be marrying my daughter in less than three years from now.

I am convinced that this happened off-screen during Awakening.
Welp, make that Sith robes then.

Hong

The Strongest
Even though Robin was the first character to get a profile in Famitsu, I still want another. ~.~

This is because Sakurai described the moves, but we got nothing on custom specials.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Even though Robin was the first character to get a profile in Famitsu, I still want another. ~.~

This is because Sakurai described the moves, but we got nothing on custom specials.
We weren't spoiled enough :(

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
when did this hit over 200? it was only 100 a few months ago.
Well, whenever a character gets confirmed playable you can count on a good couple hundred posts easy as new people flood in. Other than that, Robin's been shown in trailers to be pretty cool so people are interested.
There was a general movement in the activity of this thread over the last few months. It was pretty crazy. It was almost as if the Smash community was preparing for Robin. Also, a lot of the general FE talk moved over here as opposed to the FE discussion thread for some reason.

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
45% crit chance, roughly 50% dual strike chance, and Lethality at capped Skill

attacks twice with no crit, dual strike, or skills

enemy survives with 1 HP

Next time I attack the same enemy, Lethality activates, along with a pointless crit

o god how often this kind of stuff happens xD
I can't help but laugh when it happens to me, I did lose units because of this stuff as well. . .

EDIT: Hong I wanted to ask this for a long time now but where do you find all these avatars, signatures and pictures, THEY ARE PURE GOLD.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
What I'm really interested to see is how the netural special's tomes will change for its variants, and how they worked two other dark tomes into command grabs.

We could be waiting a little longer than just September 13th to find out, though. It sounds like a lot of variant specials are unlocked.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I don't think Nosferatu's variants will necessarily be command grabs. After looking at Roslina's custom Nspecials, they all work rather differently, they just have the same animation.

So it's quite possible Nos can beomce Ruin or Waste or Mire or Goetia or what have you.

Arcfire could become Bolganone or Valflame or Dying Blaze or whatever.

Thunder is a bit tricky since it has quite a few tomes in it.

Elwind has a lot of different options.

Or, and I like this idea so much more, the elements could be changed around the custom moves. Like Nspecial could get changed from Thunder to Wind or Dark. Sspecial could be changed from Fire to Thunder or Wind. Uspecial could change to Thunder or Dark, And Dspecial could get change from Dark to Wind or Fire. While working differently but keeping the same animations.

There are a ton of possibilities.

Hong

The Strongest
EDIT: Hong I wanted to ask this for a long time now but where do you find all these avatars, signatures and pictures, THEY ARE PURE GOLD.
Well, plenty of places.

For the most part, when I like something, I scour the Internet for art related to it. The official websites, fan portals, general art sites, boorus, etc. No single magical place where I can find everything, unfortunately. That said, after a while not only does your ability to sift through thousands of images improve, but the technology improves as well. Things we take for granted like auto complete for search fields really speeds up the process.

I upload my images on imgur. While I am there, I'll usually see random cute/funny/clever images while I am waiting for the upload, so I browse whatever is popular at the time.

Of course, a lot of this comes to me as well. Whether it's a subscription service (like "watching" an artist) or people sending them to my inbox, they all come to me and I usually check it at least once a day.

That image I posted with the Fwoosh? Came from a comic, which is a response I use to those kinds of gaming moments. Both that and my current avatar came from these. My current signature is from A Cat in Paris.

Hong

The Strongest
Maybe a replacement for Thunder will be something completely different.

Ignis: Does not fire a projectile. Instead, after a short charge, increases the damage of your next Smash attack.

Arcwind: Fires off a gust of wind that travels along the ground. At low charge, it only pushes the enemy. At max charge, it fires off a fierce tornado like the one from Hyrule Castle 64, picking enemies up and throwing them into the air to set up for combos.

Excalibur: This one is tricky, since it looks like this is actually Robin's wind-based jab attack. In any event, if not, it could fire twin blades of wind that loop and intersect after being fired before flying off in a spread.

Rexcalibur: Because ice magic.

In any event, no reason why I have mostly wind-based magic alternatives. It's just my favourite of the three elements, so they come to mind. I don't think a Thunder replacement has to have several tiers of spells, since having that sort of versatility in of itself is a strength.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I like this Final Smash. Although we didn't get Chrom, at least he is implemented in some form with this Final Smash. It makes sense that he would; he does have a strong bond with Robin, after all.

It also makes sense since the Pair-Up system is a major focus and part of Awakening. There really isn't any reason why you shouldn't Pair-Up in Awakening. One thing that I kinda wish for is that the game could take your data from Awakening and replace Chrom with your spouse, though that will require some technical work...

As many pointed out, I think that the attack will end with some sort of powerful attack by Robin and Chrom. Robin would use Ignis while Chrom would use his variation of Aether. This will definitely be a very cool Final Smash!

One more thing, I heavily disagree with having Robin summon Grima for his Final Smash. It wouldn't make sense towards the context of the character since the goal of the whole game is to kill Grima to prevent a terrible future. It also goes against his character too.
If I could replace Chrom with my spouse, then what would happen if I were fighting Lucina?

D

Deleted member

If I could replace Chrom with my spouse, then what would happen if I were fighting Lucina?
I guess a second Lucina would be summoned? Or, Chrom is there anyway if you married Lucina?
EDIT: Or maybe even Morgan...

Last edited by a moderator:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
...Actually, considering Arcfire's animation is based on the GBA mages, who says Robin's variants would have to use tomes from Awakening?

Hong

The Strongest
...Actually, considering Arcfire's animation is based on the GBA mages, who says Robin's variants would have to use tomes from Awakening?
Agreed, hence my suggestion of Rexcalibur, which is exclusive to the Tellius games.

I'd be enthused to see some light magic, or maybe even some magic that is typically reserved for staves. Robin represents more than just herself; she represents two aspects of Fire Emblem that Smash has not seen prior. And by that of course I mean durability and magic.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Imagine a trailer like this.

Gigantic Chrom destroying cities

when Chrom joins the battle Alfonzo takes his place etc

when the camera stops and focuses on a cardboard box.

Literally everyone: "Snake's back!!!!"

Then Robin jumps out of the box: "Show time!" and launches the Ridley nuke at Chrom, Chrom screeches and his flesh mask falls off revealing Ridley as well, they both show some moves (Typical trailer stuff) and after the logo fades you get an after-scene of Robin and Ridley playing chess. "Now that's strategy!" "RAWWARRGH"

I don't get enough sleep
I love that I wrote this 4 days before Robin was revealed

I even said "show some moves" which made me predict Captain Falcon.

I think I'm psychic

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This has probably already been discussed, but apparently the Smash Bros reveal increased Awakening's sales. The true reason for adding the characters is revealed:
http://playeressence.com/fire-emblem-characters-for-smash-bros-boosts-fire-emblem-awakenings-sales/
This is exactly what I thought would happen. The introduction of a unique, cool character like Robin would naturally spark an interest in the Fire Emblem series that the somewhat similar characters Marth and Ike (and potentially Chrom) could not. Smash's current roster of Fire Emblem characters is now diverse, and thus the series itself is portrayed as such. Robin shows that there is more to Fire Emblem than some would initially think, and now people are curious to see just what this series is all about.

It's a wonderful thing, really. Fire Emblem now has some proper representation in Smash, and that in turn has sparked an increased interest in the series. I am hopeful this will lead to a bright future for the Fire Emblem franchise.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This is exactly what I thought would happen. The introduction of a unique, cool character like Robin would naturally spark an interest in the Fire Emblem series that the somewhat similar characters Marth and Ike (and potentially Chrom) could not. Smash's current roster of Fire Emblem characters is now diverse, and thus the series itself is portrayed as such. Robin shows that there is more to Fire Emblem than some would initially think, and now people are curious to see just what this series is all about.

It's a wonderful thing, really. Fire Emblem now has some proper representation in Smash, and that in turn has sparked an increased interest in the series. I am hopeful this will lead to a bright future for the Fire Emblem franchise.
Well I think Awakening gave the series a bright future, but Smash Bros 4 feels like a whole new ball game. It's continuing the process of changing how FE has been perceived. FE is 24 years old and 11 years old as international series, but over the past two years it has never felt fresher. As a longtime fan of the series, I love seeing new people play the game. Some of my friends picked up a 3DS just for this game, and never even played a previous FE game.

It's amazing how much of an effect Sakurai has had on the series. He might be the one of most influential persons in Fire Emblem's history, and he hasnt even worked on a single Fire Emblem. People were worried that he would have a big KI bias. Well, it's become clear this time around he had a big FE bias, and I'm glad he did.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
You know what was missing in Fire Emblem Awakening? Well, apart from the lack of distinctive map designs, chapter objectives, flesh-out major villains...

Enemy Manaketes.

If FE: Awakening was supposed to be a celebration of everything FE had to offer, then they should have included this class as an enemy at one point. They could have been units encountered near the end of the game, either revived as Risen or taken from their time periods to attack the player.

I really did not like how the only manaketes in the game were all on the side of good, and were cute dragon girls.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You know what was missing in Fire Emblem Awakening? Well, apart from the lack of distinctive map designs, chapter objectives, flesh-out major villains...

Enemy Manaketes.

If FE: Awakening was supposed to be a celebration of everything FE had to offer, then they should have included this class as an enemy at one point. They could have been units encountered near the end of the game, either revived as Risen or taken from their time periods to attack the player.

I really did not like how the only manaketes in the game were all on the side of good, and were cute dragon girls.

But...but muh Tiki tho.

In all seriousness, I wondered this too, and was a bit disappointed by the lack of enemy Manaketes, considering their series significance and prominence.

Hong

The Strongest
Lack of non-human/risen enemies in general. You only really get to fight ghouls in the sidequests and DLC. Give us some zombie dragons. ******* love zombie dragons.

Also lack of playable Soldiers.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Lack of non-human/risen enemies in general. You only really get to fight ghouls in the sidequests and DLC. Give us some zombie dragons. *****es love zombie dragons.

Seriously. They had to make Nephenee a Knight in the DLC. Just wrong.

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Why does Robin struggle to wear a suit and tie?

Because the ties are invisible. *ba dum tss*

I will take my leave now.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You aren't meant to like playable GenericUnit/NPCish guys. Nephenee apparently had a lot of personality *cough* to make her stand out enough, so she was retconed into a Knight. Considering she was better than every other non-lord foot soldier in the game it was fair.
Yes, sword-arm Ike is canon.

But yeah, there have been a lot less games with playable soldiers than otherwise (FE8 with the pre-evolve, FE9/10 and nothing else?). Generic NPCs in Fire Emblem usually were always Armors/Axe Fighters. Try to tell me anything about these following character's designs other than their hair color and that they're ugly.

FE8 Tried Way Too Hard.

From that point forward characters were given extra dimensions, like, being female, while still maintaining every other generic personality trope that existed in all previous games. Like being dumb and from the countryside.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
All of this. One of the reasons I loved Nephenee so much in PoR was the fact that the process pretty much went "Hey, that's a new thing, a lance unit that's not super slow and bulky, lemme give her a shot"

OMG SHE'S LIKE A SWORDMASTER WITH LANCES

And now we have to face the sadness of no halberdiers since Tellius. Makes. No. Sense.

(Why couldn't Donny have become one? Come on!)

You aren't meant to like playable GenericUnit/NPCish guys. Nephenee apparently had a lot of personality *cough* to make her stand out enough, so she was retconed into a Knight.
I don't think it's so much her being retconed, as much as the fact that since there's no Halberdier or Soldier class in Awakening she had to be a Knight. Just like how lord units were given whichever class made the most sense (Lyn being made a Swordmaster, for example, comes to mind.) But in the end, even with that, Nephenee is still a Halberdier and Lyn is a Blade Lord.

Last edited:

GOofyGV

Smash Lord
Well, plenty of places.

For the most part, when I like something, I scour the Internet for art related to it. The official websites, fan portals, general art sites, boorus, etc. No single magical place where I can find everything, unfortunately. That said, after a while not only does your ability to sift through thousands of images improve, but the technology improves as well. Things we take for granted like auto complete for search fields really speeds up the process.

I upload my images on imgur. While I am there, I'll usually see random cute/funny/clever images while I am waiting for the upload, so I browse whatever is popular at the time.

Of course, a lot of this comes to me as well. Whether it's a subscription service (like "watching" an artist) or people sending them to my inbox, they all come to me and I usually check it at least once a day.

That image I posted with the Fwoosh? Came from a comic, which is a response I use to those kinds of gaming moments. Both that and my current avatar came from these. My current signature is from A Cat in Paris.
this man really is the best! Thanks Hong :)

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Lack of non-human/risen enemies in general. You only really get to fight ghouls in the sidequests and DLC. Give us some zombie dragons. *****es love zombie dragons.

On that note, wouldn't it be interesting if they created I beast triangle? I mean, first we'd have to see the magic triangle back, but...

Since we have Swords, Lances and Axes, and If they bring back Light, Anima and Dark I really wouldn't mind seeing like a Manakete, Bird and Bunny triangle. Or whatever other beast they want to use instead like Cat or tiger.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
FE Awakening already sold bucket-loads but eh, it ain't ever hurting to have more tips of cash to the weighed-down scale.

I quite hope we get FE7 to Wii U VC to follow this all up, it's oddly absent as of late...

I also second more Elibe-or Tellius-games-based mechanics added up on newest games, I wasn't entirely high on magic being damage-based weapons at best with nothing to counter them. Also why I'm so missing the extra movements from mounted units...

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
On that note, wouldn't it be interesting if they created I beast triangle? I mean, first we'd have to see the magic triangle back, but...

Since we have Swords, Lances and Axes, and If they bring back Light, Anima and Dark I really wouldn't mind seeing like a Manakete, Bird and Bunny triangle. Or whatever other beast they want to use instead like Cat or tiger.
So you mean like bringing the Laguz back from Tellius and giving them a triangle? Sure, I could dig that. They offered an interesting alternative and made the cast of the games very diverse.

Last edited:
Top Bottom