• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Robin is in the game, folks.

*~*

Somehow that hasn't lost its novelty.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

*~*

Are you sure you're not just dreaming?

Because I'm feeling kind of sleepy right now, and my mind might be playing tricks on me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Robin is not in the game, you are just being delusional. I remember clearly that Chrom was the character announced on the #MonadoMonday.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
I meant an Owain or Inigo with Avatar as his father as Lucina's husband.
But Robin!Owain and Robin!Inigo can marry Lucina.. can't they? I know Owain and Lucina are cousins but they can still S-rank as companions.

Hong

The Strongest
First, let's compare them:

It's possible the first one is not a jab combo, but an ftilt combo. While rare, they do exist, as was the case with Snake.

With the second, let's slow it down.

With the second one, we see what is more common for jab attacks in Smash 4. That is, the string attack continues until you either let go of A or stop mashing it, and then the fighter automatically ends it with a combo finisher. In this case, Robin shuts the tome, creating one last vicious gale.

It could be that the flame tome combo lacks the ability to string together a series of jabs (and it's just a one-two-three like Mario), though I'm leaning more towards the ftilt theory.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

*~*

Considering how long we were told there was no way Robin was in the game, I imagine the novelty of that won't wear off for quite some time.

•Col•

Smash Champion
No thanks.
Calling it now, in the customized moveset choices, Robin will have an option to make Down B act as a counter.

From the latest Famitsu scans, we see that a move's properties can be changed drastically..

Rosalina:
  • Down Special: Gravitational Pull - draws items and projectiles toward her, makes it easy to hoard items, projectiles will hit opponents
  • Custom Down 1: Catch & Release - draws opponents close then blows them away, unable to pull in items
  • Custom Down 2: Guardian Luma - Luma grows large for a moment to defend Rosalina, Luma is normally small and easily launched
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=123792554&postcount=13802

So I really wouldn't find it too ridiculous if there was a customized move that changed Nosferatu from a command grab to a counter.. Just imagine guys.. A counter move that could lifesteal.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Well, as a custom special move, I have no problems with that.

Folt

Smash Ace
But Robin!Owain and Robin!Inigo can marry Lucina.. can't they? I know Owain and Lucina are cousins but they can still S-rank as companions.
Yes, and I'm saying I find Lucina to be at her best when she's married to a son with Robin''s genes.

Reginleif

Smash Ace
Yes, and I'm saying I find Lucina to be at her best when she's married to a son with Robin''s genes.
Depends, actually. I find that Robin isn't the best parent for Lucina either because that means I can't marry her to Morgan or Robin!Owain, Robin!Inigo, etc. which means I can't abuse Dual Strike+.
:054:

Thanks for clarifying. I don't think it matters if Robin fathers them, Lucina x Vengeance!Inigo/Owain are all overkill already in Apotheosis.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Calling it now, in the customized moveset choices, Robin will have an option to make Down B act as a counter.

From the latest Famitsu scans, we see that a move's properties can be changed drastically..

So I really wouldn't find it too ridiculous if there was a customized move that changed Nosferatu from a command grab to a counter.. Just imagine guys.. A counter move that could lifesteal.
Well, a custom move is different, after all, we won't even be able to use custom moves freely in online matches.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
With all the amount of possibilities for Robin, I just hope his/her custom moves will not just be "faster. smaller arcfire" or that kind of minimalistic stuff. I doubt that'll happen, but who knows.

Hong

The Strongest
With all the amount of possibilities for Robin, I just hope his/her custom moves will not just be "faster. smaller arcfire" or that kind of minimalistic stuff. I doubt that'll happen, but who knows.
Should get an Arcfire that ricochets off the ground and walls. :4dedede:

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
I thought Robin's Forward Tilt was the little stab move used in front of Lucina in his trailer just before the slo-mo shot of all 4 FE characters?

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I'm fairly certain that was confirmed to be his forward Smash in the famitsu article.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
First time I post here, so hi to all fellow Robin enthusiasts!

Regarding the jab(?) combo, I just noticed that Robin uses a different amount of slashes in both moves, so I wonder, what if the jab is the sword attack, and the magic attack is the f-tilt? What I believe puts a dent on my theory is the fact that it looks very organic, like it's meant to be like that, but it would be rather neat if he had a combo with a variable finisher in using either the sword or the tome, but I guess it's variable enough already with the different magic tome finishers.

D

Deleted member

First, let's compare them:

It's possible the first one is not a jab combo, but an ftilt combo. While rare, they do exist, as was the case with Snake.

With the second, let's slow it down.

With the second one, we see what is more common for jab attacks in Smash 4. That is, the string attack continues until you either let go of A or stop mashing it, and then the fighter automatically ends it with a combo finisher. In this case, Robin shuts the tome, creating one last vicious gale.

It could be that the flame tome combo lacks the ability to string together a series of jabs (and it's just a one-two-three like Mario), though I'm leaning more towards the ftilt theory.
Well considering the fact that Robin is using his Fire Tome for that first combo and using his Wind Tome for the second one, which more than likely is a neutral combo, would this mean that Robin not only has different neutral combos but also different F-Tilt combos for each tome?

I've been watching the animations of his sword strikes, and if you compare the sword strike for the Wind Tome combo with the 2nd sword strike for the Fire Tome combo, they look almost identical. (Downwards swing with Robin's tome arm shifting forwards).

As such I still believe that the Fire Tome combo is simply Robin's Fire Tome Neutral Combo variant and that we were shown the Wind Tome Neutral combo from the second sword strike onward (as that's how they decided to edit it, so that we wouldn't see the entire neutral combo sequence repeatedly).

I think his/her neutral combos will all have the first 2 sword strikes (upward and then downward) with only the 3rd strike changing depending on the tome that Robin is holding at the time of the combo's execution.

Hong

The Strongest
Interestingly enough, we never get to see his tome for the first one before the attack. Before the scene transition, he had a wind tome, but it could have changed between scenes, so it may have been switched to fire.

All we see is this. I apologize for the watermark; forgot to log in.

You can see the animation for his roll is cancelled early by attacking, so whether he jabbed or did an ftilt, the game would have buffered the input and allowed the attack within the first available frame.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Interestingly enough, we never get to see his tome for the first one before the attack. Before the scene transition, he had a wind tome, but it could have changed between scenes, so it may have been switched to fire.

All we see is this. I apologize for the watermark; forgot to log in.

You can see the animation for his roll is cancelled early by attacking, so whether he jabbed or did an ftilt, the game would have buffered the input and allowed the attack within the first available frame.
You can actually see a hint of red on the tome before the roll. It's not quite held dead on to the camera when he lunges back, which gives you a tiny glimpse of the cover. It looks like it was changed first.

Hong

The Strongest
You can actually see a hint of red on the tome before the roll. It's not quite held dead on to the camera when he lunges back, which gives you a tiny glimpse of the cover. It looks like it was changed first.
Hm. Just barely. You're right.

•Col•

Smash Champion
So I went back and looked at the two moves shown in the trailer closely.. And it's definitely looking like a variation on the same move, so the people that have been saying that there are probably different jab combos based off of your current tome probably isn't that far off. The trailer cut into that wind slicing move at a weird time, so it looked like the attack may have possibly been a different move but after looking at it..

Keep in mind that animation/sword swing speed isn't perfectly matched up in these images because Captain Falcon is taller than Kirby, and thus gets hit with the move beforehand, causing that freezeframe/hitstun animation to cause the pauses.

What's even more telling though, is after breaking the animation down frame by frame I came across this.. With each swing of the jab combo, Robin's sword will glow and then stop glowing when the attack hitbox ends. At the very beginning of the segment where the wind slash move occurs, you can see that Robin's sword is glowing before he even starts to swing an attack, suggesting that a sword swing had just occurred as the clip was beginning.. And with the two animations looking so similiar, the previous attack being the upwards slash of the 1st jab combo hit seems most likely.

Here are pics to show what I mean:

End of upwards Jab Hit 1 (sword glowing):

Slight pause before starting 2nd downwards hit of jab combo (sword not glowing):

Start of 2nd hit of jab combo (sword glowing):

So, uh yeah. Just wanted to point that out. It's almost definitely the same base move. Whether its a jab or ftilt combo, or whatever, is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
So I went back and looked at the two moves shown in the trailer closely.. And it's definitely looking like a variation on the same move, so the people that have been saying that there are probably different jab combos based off of your current tome probably isn't that far off. The trailer cut into that wind slicing move at a weird time, so it looked like the attack may have possibly been a different move but after looking at it..

Keep in mind that animation/sword swing speed isn't perfectly matched up in these images because Captain Falcon is taller than Kirby, and thus gets hit with the move beforehand, causing that freezeframe/hitstun animation to cause the pauses.

What's even more telling though, is after breaking the animation down frame by frame I came across this.. With each swing of the jab combo, Robin's sword will glow and then stop glowing when the attack hitbox ends. At the very beginning of the segment where the wind slash move occurs, you can see that Robin's sword is glowing before he even starts to swing an attack, suggesting that a sword swing had just occurred as the clip was beginning.. And with the two animations looking so similiar, the previous attack being the upwards slash of the 1st jab combo his seems most likely.

Here are pics to show what I mean:

End of upwards Jab Hit 1 (sword glowing):

Slight pause before starting 2nd downwards hit of jab combo (sword not glowing):

Start of 2nd hit of jab combo (sword glowing):

So, uh yeah. Just wanted to point that out. It's almost definitely the same base move. Whether its a jab or ftilt combo, or whatever, is anyone's guess.
I appreciate the breakdown. The sword glowing part was the most interesting part for me actually. I've always wondered about it after seeing this:

I didn't know why :4robinf:'s sword glowed while :4robinm:'s sword was normal, at first.

Hong

The Strongest
Especially when they are doing the Force Choke.
Chrom: There are better places to take a nap than on the ground you know. Give me your hand.
Robin: Thank you.
*waves hand*
I now command your army.
Chrom: You now command my army.
Robin: I am now the lead protagonist of this story.
Chrom: You are now the lead protagonist of this story.
Robin: I will be marrying your daughter in less than three years from now.
Chrom: You will be marrying my daughter in less than three years from now.

I am convinced that this happened off-screen during Awakening.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I appreciate the breakdown. The sword glowing part was the most interesting part for me actually. I've always wondered about it after seeing this:

I didn't know why :4robinf:'s sword glowed while :4robinm:'s sword was normal, at first.
Female Robin obviously got ahold of the Monado.

Folt

Smash Ace
Yes, when I optimize my whole team. Why not? As if beating Apotheosis without Limit Breaker was hard at all.
The best way. B)

Of course, if you really want to beat Apotheosis in a really minimalist way; someone on that video stated that a +Mag/-Def Avatar married to a Sumia!Lucina can do the exact same thing, so long as Defense ends up at 32 after Rallies.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589

I would much rather the counter auto-grab into Nosferatu then simply life steal.

Last edited:

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
Not to completely change the currently running topic but...

Has there been any collection of Japan's reaction to Robin + Lucina's reveal?

Hong

The Strongest
Not to completely change the currently running topic but...

Has there been any collection of Japan's reaction to Robin + Lucina's reveal?

Don't notice much else different. A lot of people mocking Chrom's failure, just in different ways.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy

Don't notice much else different. A lot of people mocking Chrom's failure, just in different ways.
Different and humorous ways indeed, from what I've seen. I kinda feel bad for him haha.

I've noticed a lot of people are starting "default" Robin runs in Awakening since his/her reveal.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Different and humorous ways indeed, from what I've seen. I kinda feel bad for him haha.

I've noticed a lot of people are starting "default" Robin runs in Awakening since his/her reveal.
Well, the "default" Robin is pretty cool, after all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Out of pure curiousity, which of you believed the Gematsu leak and thought it was outdated information, and thought plans could've changed and that Chrom would be cut for Robin before his reveal trailer came. I honestly should've known that sooner, but the Mii Fighters name seemed way too convincing to be outdated at all.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Out of pure curiousity, which of you believed the Gematsu leak and thought it was outdated information, and thought plans could've changed and that Chrom would be cut for Robin before his reveal trailer came. I honestly should've known that sooner, but the Mii Fighters name seemed way too convincing to be outdated at all.
We speculated that as a possibility, but of course no one was sure of anything whatsoever. As for Gematsu i guess most of us already believed it simply for the veracity it had at the time, but since no one could be 100% sure of anything we never took it as gospel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom