• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
Visual information would suggest Robin is above average in weight, due to her loadout and attire. Between Ike and Mario.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I imagine that Ike would be the heavyweight of the Fire Emblem team, but I agree with Hong that Robin's cloak and books would make him/her slightly heavier than average.

So I think it's going to be: Ike > Robin > Marth/Lucina (or alternatively, Marth > Lucina)

Marth just might be the jack of all stats for them.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
because there is more than awakening than what robin does. there is much mor ehe could do, that's all ther eis to it.

it's undeniable that basic magic spells are in a lower tier of importance, and awkaening is far more skill centered than others. the fac that skills wernet' with ike and marth are lal the more reason for Robin to use them. but no.

lackuster FE rep all around. As much as i want Chrom i am even afraid of what Sakurai could've done with him if that's the extent of his ability with Robin.

and Sakurai showed such promise with Palutena and Megaman's movesets, too...
The extent of his ability with Robin? He's represented perfectly from his in game counterpart. Swords and tomes. Yes, Ignis is a skill he can get, but it is not the definition of his character. And no, This Robin is NOT Grima, so anything about a final smash involving Grima is actually more untrue to Robin than the inclusion of Chrom in a dual attack style final smash.

Robin uses all the magic, and swords. If you have a magical built Robin you're likely to use the Levin sword, and the fact that all of these can break during a fight which varies Robin's attack power is brilliant.

So please explain what is so lackluster about the inclusion of this character but just saying 'it's a bad character' doesn't explain where you're coming from when you say it.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Normally I am a very "honourable" Fire Emblem player and fully clear a chapter.

But with Brady's chapter, on Lunatic I'd feel like I would have to Rescue spam to keep all the NPCs alive with all the ranged attacks the enemies have. Rather just Galeforce leapfrog/Rescue bomb my stronger units onto the boss on the first turn and get it over with. >.>

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

But with Brady's chapter, on Lunatic I'd feel like I would have to Rescue spam to keep all the NPCs alive with all the ranged attacks the enemies have. Rather just Galeforce leapfrog/Rescue bomb my stronger units onto the boss on the first turn and get it over with. >.>
If you space characters right, you can have everyone Paired Up and still block off all the villagers safely. Remember, units can't travel diagonally, so if you stand in front of the walls, the enemy still can't get in range.

Although usually by that point I have a ton of Fliers, many with Galeforce, and I just spread across the map and wipe them all out.

Hong

The Strongest
If you space characters right, you can have everyone Paired Up and still block off all the villagers safely. Remember, units can't travel diagonally, so if you stand in front of the walls, the enemy still can't get in range.
I can't have more than one tile vulnerable on most of my characters because they'll die if attacked by more than two units. I don't grind, so my units barring Lucina are of reasonable strength.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556

I've been thinking of how to tackle this paralogue as well, albeit on the shameful Normal difficulty. :b I hadn't considered rushing the boss with Rescue. I wouldn't mind using "cheap" tactics for this one either. It's a pain, and I want the children before the main story is nearly over.

Hong

The Strongest
I've been thinking of how to tackle this paralogue as well, albeit on the shameful Normal difficulty. :b I hadn't considered rushing the boss with Rescue. I wouldn't mind using "cheap" tactics for this one either. It's a pain, and I want the children before the main story is nearly over.
From what I'm told, the enemies don't have Long Bows on Normal, which simplifies things a lot. Figure you should be able to form a bastion of defence, with your strongest units un-paired to plug up all the holes. A strong strike team can swing out and take on challengers for crowd-control and chapter clearance.

Last edited:

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
From what I'm told, the enemies don't have Long Bows on Normal, which simplifies things a lot. Figure you should be able to form a bastion of defence, with your strongest units un-paired to plug up all the holes. A strong strike team can swing out and take on challengers for crowd-control and chapter clearance.
I'm almost certain they do have longbows on normal. I distinctly rember struggling not to lose villagers that were otherwise inaccesable to the enemy. At first I couldn't figure out how.

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
That's indeed the strategy I tried the first time, as that's obviously what the game intends for you to be doing, what with clumping all your units into an enclosed structure. I didn't have much luck with it though; a piece of my defensive line couldn't withstand the damage output and had to back off, leaving the enemy room to run in and murder Brady + all the villagers. It was rather irritating. I've grinded since then, though, so I think I'll have better luck next time.

Hong

The Strongest
That's indeed the strategy I tried the first time, as that's obviously what the game intends for you to be doing, what with clumping all your units into an enclosed structure. I didn't have much luck with it though; a piece of my defensive line couldn't withstand the damage output and had to back off, leaving the enemy room to run in and murder Brady + all the villagers. It was rather irritating. I've grinded since then, though, so I think I'll have better luck next time.
Ayyup. You should have just gone for the blitz strategy, then. :b

Robin and Lucina should generally be strong enough to down the boss in one turn.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I always beat that chapter by just walling off every tile as neatly as possible with a pair-up and letting them come, then finishing of the guys with longbows via galeforce units to move back into position.
Though I have no idea how you'd want to pull that off without grinding on Lunatic. I only managed to beat that stage on that difficulty because I did grind. It was still hard.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
because there is more than awakening than what robin does. there is much mor ehe could do, that's all ther eis to it.

it's undeniable that basic magic spells are in a lower tier of importance, and awkaening is far more skill centered than others. the fac that skills wernet' with ike and marth are lal the more reason for Robin to use them. but no.

lackuster FE rep all around. As much as i want Chrom i am even afraid of what Sakurai could've done with him if that's the extent of his ability with Robin.

and Sakurai showed such promise with Palutena and Megaman's movesets, too...
Please. You wanted Chrom and hate Robin because of that. There's nothing more to this. Don't lie.

You want Robin to be able to do everything he was capable of in Awakening? Are you listening to yourself? There aren't enough moves in Smash Bros. to represent that.

I can understand being disappointed that Robin didn't get his Ignis skill, but come on. The Levin sword represents Ignis, anyway. Ignis is supposed to be the combination of sword and magic into one attack. It is only represented by fire in Awakening, but it should have scaled to the tome Robin wielded. This was either lack of foresight by the developers or it was too complex a system to be implemented. The Levin Sword represents Ignis, because unlike in Awakening it is constantly shrouded in electrical magic. Whereas in Awakening it would only cast a bolt of electricity.

In the future can you also type in a way that makes it easy to understand you? It hurt trying to read your post, kid.

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Please. You wanted Chrom and hate Robin because of that. There's nothing more to this. Don't lie.

You want Robin to be able to do everything he was capable of in Awakening? Are you listening to yourself? There aren't enough moves in Smash Bros. to represent that.

I can understand being disappointed that Robin didn't get his Ignis skill, but come on. The Levin sword represents Ignis, anyway. Ignis is supposed to be the combination of sword and magic into one attack. It is only represented by fire in Awakening, but it should have scaled to the tome Robin wielded. This was either lack of foresight by the developers or it was too complex a system to be implemented. The Levin Sword represents Ignis, because unlike in Awakening it is constantly shrouded in electrical magic. Whereas in Awakening it would only cast a bolt of electricity.

In the future can you also type in a way that makes it easy to understand you? It hurt trying to read your post, kid.
Everything in broader terms. i feel like the lack of ignis and the absence of Pair-up (not a fault of Robin, Chrom would be plagued too by this thanks to sakurai handling transformations really crappy-ly in brawl, which made him do away with those and kill the potential before it could be born, since while there are other ways to handle it, a tag team is the one that comes to mind that fastest... unless he made a sumia call for Chrom's Up-b, but that'd be too complex)]

i see your point but i don't believe it's reasonable that Levin Sword is an auto-ignis. and the game itself will probably colaborate with this, seeing as the damage deal between all of Robin's stuff would (probably, agian) mean something is really wrong with his Magic or his Bronze sword/ the power levels would be inconsistent.

i'm sorry about the spelling and/or concordance problems. if you can point one of them out to help me correct my English. For formatting, they look fine to me. might be an issue with how much zoom we have on screen or simply that ou care too damn much

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Everything in broader terms. i feel like the lack of ignis and the absence of Pair-up (not a fault of Robin, Chrom would be plagued too by this thanks to sakurai handling transformations really crappy-ly in brawl, which made him do away with those and kill the potential before it could be born, since while there are other ways to handle it, a tag team is the one that comes to mind that fastest... unless he made a sumia call for Chrom's Up-b, but that'd be too complex)]
So wait, you wanted a Chrom-Robin tag team playable?

i see your point but i don't believe it's reasonable that Levin Sword is an auto-ignis. and the game itself will probably colaborate with this, seeing as the damage deal between all of Robin's stuff would (probably, agian) mean something is really wrong with his Magic or his Bronze sword/ the power levels would be inconsistent.
Well, my thought is that the magic and Levin Sword are fairly powerful to make up for them being breakable. Upon looking further into the Ignis point I had, there is something else I forgot to mention: if you notice during Robin's trailer when Robin uses a Levin Sword Aerial on Fox it has not only electrical elements around it, but also dark magic on the blade. Robin appears to have a dark home in his hand at the time, meaning it may imbued with the elements of the tome you are holding along with electricity. Making it closer to Ignis.

i'm sorry about the spelling and/or concordance problems. if you can point one of them out to help me correct my English. For formatting, they look fine to me. might be an issue with how much zoom we have on screen or simply that ou care too damn much
Your formatting appears to be better in this post. I just find your posts a little hard to understand: part of the issue is minor typos and capitalization errors and the other part is punctuation. I am unsure where old thoughts end and new ones begin, so your meaning may be lost to me.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I just galeforce/rescue straight to the boss whenever that option is available. Especially on the last chapter. Screw your honor, I have a map to beat!

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816

A tag team doesn't really make sense for a fire emblem representative. Yes, the system was a big part of awakening, but unlike Rosalina + Luma or the Ice Climbers, the Fire emblem character are all unique enough to merit their own spots if they were made playable. It's like saying Mario and Luigi should be a tag team because they're brothers and you used them both in super star saga (This may be the better comparison).

The breakable weapons are to balance out Robin so he'll have weakness to compensate his strength. When he has the Levin sword and tomes, he'll be stronger than others most likely. When the tomes break or he has to use the bronze sword, he'll be weaker to compensate for his time being stronger. It's not at all a bad system and unless it proves terrible once played, I think you should give it a chance.

Hong

The Strongest
I kind of semi-grind. I always let the kids run through Champions of Yore 3 at least once, just to get their own All Stats +2.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It really depends on the map, for me, for how I will approach it. I don't always feel the need to beat every enemy, especially if it is a map you have to complete in a limited number of turns as the objective, not even for the EXP, most of the time I got for EXP but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

I do however hate not getting all the chests or a Thief getting there before me and then escaping. I go so far as to reset the chapter, most of the time, if that happens, even if it is a item I don't really need or wouldn't use.

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
A tag team doesn't really make sense for a fire emblem representative. Yes, the system was a big part of awakening, but unlike Rosalina + Luma or the Ice Climbers, the Fire emblem character are all unique enough to merit their own spots if they were made playable. It's like saying Mario and Luigi should be a tag team because they're brothers and you used them both in super star saga (This may be the better comparison).

The breakable weapons are to balance out Robin so he'll have weakness to compensate his strength. When he has the Levin sword and tomes, he'll be stronger than others most likely. When the tomes break or he has to use the bronze sword, he'll be weaker to compensate for his time being stronger. It's not at all a bad system and unless it proves terrible once played, I think you should give it a chance.
it makes sense for an AWAKENING representative. There is a much bigger gap of importance between Mario and Luigi than Chrom and Robin no matter which opinion you hold towards the importance of either on the latter pair. even before smash 64. Chrom and Robin both are significantly important to the one game they appear, and worse, their game is centered around the tag team mechanics;

If the Mario RPG were the only Mario series, or the main one, that'd be a fair argument to make for them. but thhose ar espin -offs, completely different situations.

gameplay-wise i'm mostly sure Robin is fine. I think there are some vulnerabilities in Elwind (we need to see more), nosferatu doesn't' look terribly easy to land or worth the trouble (again, more info needed), but Thunder looks like it's a great camping tool.

which is good for robin but awful for the meta game, possibly counter-intuitive to the whole "try to go for Thoron!" thing robin might have. In fact, it's similarly possible the Bronze Sword might end up being the prefered blade due to lower knockback enabling more combos; but besides all that he looks fine. Since he is a magic character, his throws are probably not goign to be chain grabbing anyone, so that's nice too (something i'd have to worry about chrom, since "normal" characters seen to have weaker throws)

So wait, you wanted a Chrom-Robin tag team playable?

Well, my thought is that the magic and Levin Sword are fairly powerful to make up for them being breakable. Upon looking further into the Ignis point I had, there is something else I forgot to mention: if you notice during Robin's trailer when Robin uses a Levin Sword Aerial on Fox it has not only electrical elements around it, but also dark magic on the blade. Robin appears to have a dark home in his hand at the time, meaning it may imbued with the elements of the tome you are holding along with electricity. Making it closer to Ignis.

Your formatting appears to be better in this post. I just find your posts a little hard to understand: part of the issue is minor typos and capitalization errors and the other part is punctuation. I am unsure where old thoughts end and new ones begin, so your meaning may be lost to me.
Before the Greninja direct, yeah. In particular, i envisioned that they'd have a version of counter based around Daul Guard and Strike, which can optionally (maybe via smash input or holding down the button) allow them to switch. One character would be on the background supporting with a bow (Chrom, reflecting his lategame playstyle and the archer tree that wouldn't fit anywhere else) or wind tome (robin. i chose wind because i think he'd chose wind for quick, easy hits), this move being done by a normal input of Down-B

This would come at the cost of a weaker natural combo game. Chrom would have a bit too much knockback on his moves, not enough for him to easily KO, but enough to struggle setting combos up, needing Robin's help to hit people, making them briefly stop so Chrom can hit them more... Robin, however would have a poorer combo game due to his swings lacking enough speed, and chrom's arrows could allow him to catch-up.

that's just my version of it, of course.

Um, i do need to watch he reveal again, but are you sure they aren't the same effects, or if they aren't the KO electrical effect? ... but that'd be a major gimmick, considering robin talks, i don't see Sakurai deciding not to unveil this (like what he chose to do with WFT)... unless he thought it'd overwhelm people with TMI at the same time, which makes sense in hindsight... that'd make Robin much more acceptable .

I have my auto-correction set to portuguese, so for my PC almost everything is grammatically incorrect in english... hence why i have some trouble with typos. Capitalization... i think i type too fast and sometimes mess up with the timing of Shift + letter...

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I do however hate not getting all the chests or a Thief getting there before me and then escaping. I go so far as to reset the chapter, most of the time, if that happens, even if it is a item I don't really need or wouldn't use.
This is so true. I've actually prolonged certain maps waiting for enemies to spawn who carry items. I hate missing things, even though I have as many as I want (as I have two 3DS systems that Streetpass Shops that carry basically everything to each other).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
How would a skill like Ignis be faithfully implemented in Smash anyway? Considering it combined your magic and strength stats into one. Well, Smash doesn't really distinguish between physical and magical attacks, so it's logically impossible to reproduce it faithfully.

As for Ike's Aether, it's just the skill's animation from the FE games given hitboxes and put into the game. The animation actually gave potential to a unique move, so it wasn't a bad idea to implement it in Smash.

I don't see how Ignis could bring something unique besides a generic super effect move. The current Final Smash looks more unique than that.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The only times I've grinded were for supports and skills.

Oh, and the solo run that I'm doing with Robin so far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I like this Final Smash. Although we didn't get Chrom, at least he is implemented in some form with this Final Smash. It makes sense that he would; he does have a strong bond with Robin, after all.

It also makes sense since the Pair-Up system is a major focus and part of Awakening. There really isn't any reason why you shouldn't Pair-Up in Awakening. One thing that I kinda wish for is that the game could take your data from Awakening and replace Chrom with your spouse, though that will require some technical work...

As many pointed out, I think that the attack will end with some sort of powerful attack by Robin and Chrom. Robin would use Ignis while Chrom would use his variation of Aether. This will definitely be a very cool Final Smash!

One more thing, I heavily disagree with having Robin summon Grima for his Final Smash. It wouldn't make sense towards the context of the character since the goal of the whole game is to kill Grima to prevent a terrible future. It also goes against his character too.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This is the social thread. There is no specific topic.
I like your avatar.

If you wanted a larger version of the image for any reason, it's here. It is bigger than the one you shared earlier.
Ah, thanks. I might just use this for a higher quality version of my avatar.

I can change back to my older one at any time if you like.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Bishounen characters are always light weights [this is a lie btw]. I'd be surprised if Robin's weight differentiates from Marth's much, I'd assume Lucina would be at Marth's as well (which in both games has been in the bottom quarter or so of the cast).

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, Lucina is going to have nearly the same weight, most likely. Her only properties Sakurai mentioned that differ from Marth's are height and the lack of the tipper. Though, I suppose that doesn't mean that's all that is different.

As for Robin, it's hard to say. I would imagine Robin wouldn't be as agile as Marth, but I don't know what that means in terms of Robin's weight. It will be different. I'm just not sure how.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
If we include item weight (the tomes and swords) I imagine he would be a middle weight, but likely rather floaty on account of the whole mage thing

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If that was a consideration, isn't Marth's original Falchion like 16-18 weight?
We'll see, I'm not drawn in any way, and if they happen to be light (depends really on the general speed of their entire moveset IMO). Perhaps the draw back of losing the Levin Sword and having slowerish specials in general (it would seem?) would be heavier weight.

Could be Falcoish with a Luigi-ish ground traction (I CAN FLOAT ON SAND).

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am hoping she is either light or middle weight. I can play some heavyweights quite nicely, but some others... god, I have no idea what I am doing.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I'm going with slightly heavier as well, though I think Robin will be fine.

That ArcFire ( Side-B ) will be much more important than I originally thought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom