• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
KOTOR II isn't canon at all anymore.

I always assumed F!Morgan is. She is in my eyes.
That doesn't change my post. And Lucasfilm still recognizes it, it's just that it's part of an alternate continuity (like Hyrule Warriors).

OwainxSevera is canon pair if you ask me. Those supports are downright touching.
I went with InigoxSevera on my first playthrough. I think I'll try that for next time.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
There is no opinion when it comes to canon. Canon implies fact, there is no room for opinions.

Awakening doesn't have any canon pairings. The closest one is Chrom x Sumia, for various reasons, but it still isn't canon.

Call your pairings what they really are for you, your OTPs. :L

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
I'd buy a Fire Emblem game starring Cynthia.

Like ten times.

Her victory quotes are too much. D: I can't handle the cuteness and I can be like on a bus and I'll just be smiling like a doofus.
To the smiling part, I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I couldn't tell you how many times Awakening in general has had me doing that, but Cynthia in particular gets me every time!

Also, on the subject of what is or isn't canonical, I agree with this:
There is no opinion when it comes to canon. Canon implies fact, there is no room for opinions.

Awakening doesn't have any canon pairings. The closest one is Chrom x Sumia, for various reasons, but it still isn't canon.

Call your pairings what they really are for you, your OTPs. :L

Folt

Smash Ace
I always assumed F!Morgan is. She is in my eyes.
None of Owain's or Cynthia's conversations with her indicate that she is.

However, none of Cynthia's convos indicate that they don't associate with each other either (Owain is scouting her as a partner in their Support Convos which could indicate a lack of closeness). She's just not a member of the Justice Cabal.

Er, no.

Default =/= canon. For example, KOTOR II set the default gender of its main character to male, and yet she's canonically female.

Robin is whoever you want him/her to be. At least Sakurai has made efforts to show F!Robin more often than the male Wii Fit Trainer or female Villager, considering that her own official render is right beside the male version.
If Male Robin is the default gender, players new to Smash who don't know about Robin will almost certainly associate Robin with the male gender.

Sakurai also mentioned that he put the different gendered Robin in as an alternate costume because that Robin would still play the same as the other one, even if appearances and gender (and voice) changed. Lucina would have been an alternate costume of Marth for the same reason (as she would practically be Marth, meaning no need for a separate slot on the roster), but Sakurai removed the tipper which meant that Lucina couldn't be "Marth" anymore, but also paved the way for letting her be her own character and get her own spot on the roster. Given how Male Robin is the more prominent one (on his own for the face render, his official render overlaps F!Robin's, is and is featured prominently alongside Lucina in both the artwork that the artist for Awakening did AND in their trailer), Female Robin would be the alternate costume which indicate a lack of importance.

The one thing I'd like to say however is that I will retract my opinion on which gender is the canon gender and admit I am wrong if both are featured on the character select screen for the new Smash Bros. As we've seen both official renders, I believe this to be an equally viable possibility that they will both be on the slot for Robin, and it makes who's the default gender and who's an alternate costume into a non-issue.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think both male and female Robin could appear on the same character select screen icon. Like Zelda and Sheik in Brawl.

Morbi

Scavenger
[quote="Frostwraith, post: 17179465, member: 212032"iI think both male and female Robin could appear on the same character select screen icon. Like Zelda and Sheik in Brawl.[/quote]
Sheik confirmed as a male variant of Zelda?! I knew it!

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I think both male and female Robin could appear on the same character select screen icon. Like Zelda and Sheik in Brawl.
Maybe female Robin will have slightly different attributes than male Robin and they'll be given they're own slots. :troll:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Fine, we'll call it implied canon then.

The point is we're arguing the degree to which a pairing seems appropriate to the characters in question.

NahxYarne is significantly more appropriate than NahxInigo, for example.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
If it also stars Owain and Gerome, I'm in!
If I recall, the Justice Cabal in the game was said to consist of Owain, Cynthia, Brady, and Gerome (with Severa tagging in every now and then). I don't recall if anyone else was part of it.

OwainxSevera is canon pair if you ask me. Those supports are downright touching.
Completely agreed. Well, as canon as you can get in a game that does its damnedest to not have canon.

If only they weren't both god awful lead units.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
This.

If Sakurai felt that it was important to have the official renders of both genders of Robin on the main site, there's a good chance that the CSS will follow through with it.

It would also make them look more visually unique amongst the cast, IMO.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I have 2 things to say.
1. Robin has the coolest costume in the entire smash series. This is beyond debate.
2. I can't wait to hear Kirby yell "THORON!".

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Fine, we'll call it implied canon then.

The point is we're arguing the degree to which a pairing seems appropriate to the characters in question.

"Appropiate" is subjective.

It's impossible to actually figure out an "implied" canon based solely on support convos as it is just going to come down to bias on what support convos like. No paring is factually more appropriate then another pairing. The only implied canon pairing is Chom!Sumia and this is because of forces outside of the support convos.

If only they weren't both god awful lead units.
Nah is a good lead unit, what are you talking about?

Hong

The Strongest
Why do people care so much about pairings? D:

This is coming from someone who is well invested in romantic literature as well as yaoi. Seems silly to put so much thought into it and fuss over the canon implied pairings.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Why do people care so much about pairings? D:

This is coming from someone who is well invested in romantic literature as well as yaoi. Seems silly to put so much thought into it and fuss over the canon implied pairings.
For some Power Gamers, Fire Emblem Awakening has turned into one big "Eugenics Project" to produce the best possible offspring especially for someone playing the game on Luntatic and beyond.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
For some Power Gamers, Fire Emblem Awakening has turned into one big "Eugenics Project" to produce the best possible offspring especially for someone playing the game on Luntatic and beyond.
Oh, genetic engineering is different. After my first file, I just focused on the most optimal setups, as well.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Nah is a good lead unit, what are you talking about?
She's slow as heck, and unless you gimp her stats even more (or use the Avatar's marriage) doesn't get Galeforce. She can't even Vantage + Vengeance unless the Avatar is her dad. The most she can do is just tank a hit, but that doesn't help with actually killing anything, and if I recall the AI goes after those it can hurt the most, which wouldn't be her if she's just a beef tank.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I have 2 things to say.
1. Robin has the coolest costume in the entire smash series. This is beyond debate.
2. I can't wait to hear Kirby yell "THORON!".
I agree. Robin's robes just scream cool and badass. I always had mixed feelings on Awakening's art direction, but the Tactician outfit is just awesome.

As for Kirby, I think he will probably yell "Giga Thunder!" for Arcthunder, like how he yells "Purin!" when using Jigglypuff's Rollout. His voice isn't dubbed, after all. This assuming the characters will shout the moves' names in-game, as the whole shouting the attacks' names on Robin and Palutena's trailers could be just for show. But considering Captain Falcon, I can't be sure.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm in the Manakete as a supporter camp.

If you are like me and have a female Robin, that means either Noire, Kjelle or Nah lose out on Galeforce. Nah is the odd-one out, for me. Not that I like her less, but I am content with her as either a Manakete for both pairing (great for Str/Mag hybrid classes) and an Enemy Phase tank, or as a Trickster support character. As the former she is so low maintenance with just Dragonstone+s, as the latter she can be so reckless on the front-lines and provide a lot of utility.

Her mother is usually the Nowimobile and classes as a Griffon Knight for their insane movement.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I agree. Robin's robes just scream cool and badass. I always had mixed feelings on Awakening's art direction, but the Tactician outfit is just awesome.

As for Kirby, I think he will probably yell "Giga Thunder!" for Arcthunder, like how he yells "Purin!" when using Jigglypuff's Rollout. His voice isn't dubbed, after all. This assuming the characters will shout the moves' names in-game, as the whole shouting the attacks' names on Robin and Palutena's trailers could be just for show. But considering Captain Falcon, I can't be sure.
I thought that about Kirby, too. Though it would be adorable to hear his VA shouting "Sunda!" with every cast in a japanese accent like she does with "FARUCON PAWNSH!" :D
I could see them just having different grunts and screams for that, too, if they do it with overseas versions in mind. You know, all those "Nya!" and "Haaa!" Kirby likes to shout.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
MorganF Masterrace

I see your favorite F!Morgan ship and give you M!MorganxLucina. :denzel:

Oh yeah, and I kinda prefer F!Morgan and Gerome instead.

Last edited:

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I can't see Tharja with anyone else other than Henry and Robin... due to not using Henry very often, I pair her with myself.

I think over half of my saves (current and deleted) had her as my wife... aka, every single save where I played as a Male Unit.

Though I'm planning on breaking the norm and going either Emmeryn, Tiki or Cordelia.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Personally I like Libra!Tharja myself in terms of support convos (except for the very end of that convos, ABC and most of S did such a good job of not mentioning Robin then it just came out randomly at the end >_>) and ending.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm in the Manakete as a supporter camp.

If you are like me and have a female Robin, that means either Noire, Kjelle or Nah lose out on Galeforce. Nah is the odd-one out, for me. Not that I like her less, but I am content with her as either a Manakete for both pairing (great for Str/Mag hybrid classes) and an Enemy Phase tank, or as a Trickster support character. As the former she is so low maintenance with just Dragonstone+s, as the latter she can be so reckless on the front-lines and provide a lot of utility.

Her mother is usually the Nowimobile and classes as a Griffon Knight for their insane movement.
You do know that if you marry Gaius to Tharja, Sully, or Nowi, their respective daughter gets access to the Pegasus Knight class, right?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
You do know that if you marry Gaius to Tharja, Sully, or Nowi, their respective daughter gets access to the Pegasus Knight class, right?
That's why she said "If you are like me and have a female Robin, that means either Noire, Kjelle or Nah lose out on Galeforce.". If it's Fem!Robin then one of thhem is going to lose out on Galeforce because only Gaius, Donnel, and Ma!Robin can pass down the class for them to learn Galeforce.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's why she said "If you are like me and have a female Robin, that means either Noire, Kjelle or Nah lose out on Galeforce.". If it's Fem!Robin then one of thhem is going to lose out on Galeforce because only Gaius, Donnel, and Ma!Robin can pass down the class for them to learn Galeforce.
Yeah, misread, sorry.

Although since I pair male Robin with Lucina, one misses out anyway.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I just pair whoever I feel like pairing. I don't get into that fancy skill stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom