• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
the nosferatsu animation just does not look like robins grab that that showed earlier in the trailer. Also I just don't see them not showing off all the specials for a character without a good reason.
hmmm. Okay I'm officially convinced.

OH $#!*! What is Nosferatsu ISN'T a command grab and it's ACTUALLY a variation of all the combo moves the FE characters possess. that would make sense for a down b. I like this idea the most.

Robin is going to potentially have crazy combo variety that are dependent on his tomes and how they affect his jabs and possibly tilts and dash attack. We've already seen how the fire and wind jabs will send the opponent in different trajectories.
I'm not sure we're going to get THAT lucky. it's probably just a variations of jabs, just like somebody else mentioned Pit in ssbb had to variations for his jab combo based on how many times you pressed it. the fireball could be just a normal A-A-A while if you try doing an infinite by doing A-A-A-A-A-A it'd be the wind infinite looking thing. plus as @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan points out the tilts don't seem to be affected.

i really hope thats how robins jab works cause then it gives some unpredictability to what move to expect
You could predict the moves in his arsenal simply by the color of the tome he currently has equipped.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The development team better know what they're doing, because this type of playstyle can easily backfire, and the last thing I want is a newcomer that is just as impractical or flat out worse then Pokémon Trainer.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yeah, although I would be willing to play Robin even if she is the worst character in the game :p

And I am betting on 10 seconds for the recharge of the tomes and the Levin Sword

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
So sense the Levin sword comes back with Smash attacks then will all of his smashes be mapped to use the levin sword or will it just be the side smashes (the only smash we know to use the sword) or all of the smashes?

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
hmmm. Okay I'm officially convinced.

OH $#!*! What is Nosferatsu ISN'T a command grab and it's ACTUALLY a variation of all the combo moves the FE characters possess. that would make sense for a down b. I like this idea the most.

I'm not sure we're going to get THAT lucky. it's probably just a variations of jabs, just like somebody else mentioned Pit in ssbb had to variations for his jab combo based on how many times you pressed it. the fireball could be just a normal A-A-A while if you try doing an infinite by doing A-A-A-A-A-A it'd be the wind infinite looking thing. plus as @ Mr. Johan Mr. Johan points out the tilts don't seem to be affected.

You could predict the moves in his arsenal simply by the color of the tome he currently has equipped.
all i know is thinks its a special, also depending on how everything works it could throw some people off with the the jab combo. It just depends imo on how hard it is to see what tome he has

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
So sense the Levin sword comes back with Smash attacks then will all of his smashes be mapped to use the levin sword or will it just be the side smashes (the only smash we know to use the sword) or all of the smashes?
looks like all his smash attacks use the levin sword/bronze sword if levin sword is unavailable.

all i know is thinks its a special, also depending on how everything works it could throw some people off with the the jab combo. It just depends imo on how hard it is to see what tome he has
Also you could just remember the last special he used.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
looks like all his smash attacks use the levin sword/bronze sword if levin sword is unavailable.

Also you could just remember the last special he used.
true also im not sure its a combo move as i dont remember ike having a combo special.

Hong

The Strongest
A bit off topic, but what the actual ****.

Why would you punish players for not changing Pokemon, instead of rewarding people who do? You should feel AWESOME for changing pokemon, like they should come out with a huge attribute buff for 10 seconds or so.

I really hope Robin's spells are something special. If this system turns out to be a flop, I rather have just made it so Robin deals more damage the more you mix up your spells instead of punishing you if you don't. My favourite approach to game design is to focus more on strengths than character weaknesses,

But it's all too soon to say. We don't know how much we get to use it, how fast it charges, and whether or not it can be restored without having to use it all up. If it's just 6 seconds or something for the Thunder tome, we can handle this.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Do you remember the time when at E3, most of us thought that it was all over when the Sneaky Spirit enemy was revealed at E3? And that the Gematsu "leak" seemed to be getting more and more real each week?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm not sure Grima makes sense as a FS. I mean, guys, THIS Robin is clearly the protagonist, not the future antagonist one. Protagonist Robin has no control over Grima; in fact, they hate Grima more than anything. Why would they want to team up with it? Why would it heed his/her call, when it was clearly Grima that controlled evil Robin?

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Ike didn't have a combo special, but then, no one else really did either. Link and Pit kinda did, but that could be manipulated by the player's button presses during the Jabs themselves.

Robin's the only character that's going to have 4 different Jab Combos, with each one determined by the tome that is equipped at that moment. I really want to see the Thunder Jab combo and Dark Jab combo now.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm not sure Grima makes sense as a FS. I mean, guys, THIS Robin is clearly the protagonist, not the future antagonist one. Protagonist Robin has no control over Grima; in fact, they hate Grima more than anything. Why would they want to team up with it? Why would it heed his/her call, when it was clearly Grima that controlled evil Robin?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool

It doesn't need to make any sense, as long as it is cool :p Though I am pleased with the actual FS, as I said in the first page.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
12 seconds at most IMO.
Pokemon trainer was 2 minutes per pokemon for restoration.
And 2 minutes to get tired, where attacks would count as 1 second (so 1 minute and 60 attacks would tire you out).

It doesn't look like there will be a time related feature in making them expire, but perhaps one for restoring them.

Last edited:

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
I hope we get another POTD this week specifying the details on how tome regeneration works. I think that's going to be the crux of her metagame; managing her tome so as not to be caught without her recovery at a percent where it would be easy to get her offstage. I imagine the Levin Sword is partially intended to help offset that weakness. If you wait until you're out of magic to pull it out, you'll have a means of making your opponent think twice about switching to their pressure game. It seems like this will create an interesting dynamic where Robin players have to stage their offensive game much more deliberately so as to have the best options available when they're the most needed.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Ike didn't have a combo special, but then, no one else really did either. Link and Pit kinda did, but that could be manipulated by the player's button presses during the Jabs themselves.

Robin's the only character that's going to have 4 different Jab Combos, with each one determined by the tome that is equipped at that moment. I really want to see the Thunder Jab combo and Dark Jab combo now.
A third combo would prove this theory, but at the moment we only have two. And the chances of a character having an alternate combo is more than having 4 alternate combos. Because two other characters would share the former but Robin would be to have more than two if the latter were true.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah, my opinion on the roster changed substantially since Robin and Lucina were revealed. It is weird because I really like Mega Man, I was glad to see Pac-Man being confirmed as a fighter and Palutena was one of the characters I supported since the announcement of the new Smash, but the first reveal trailer to excite me so much was Robin's (seriously, I was SHAKING during the announcement). I am not entirely satisfied with roster yet, because I still want Ridley to be announced and Ghirahim being a fighter in the game would as wonderful as the character, but at least two of my most wanted characters were confirmed already (one of them, Robin, being my #2 most wanted, mind you), with Lucina as a nice bonus.
Best wishes for Ridley fans, and especially Ghirahim supporters because I personally would be delighted to have him along.

I somehow almost forgot about my momma's boys.

:( I really hope Ness or someone shows up in August. Come home, Ness. Momma has made you steak.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
At least with Robin, the tomes and Levin Sword are going to come back, so Robin will get them back fresh. It's just going to require patience and proper spacing with the Bronze Sword.

It's better than having no weapons at all. Just keep an eye on your Elwind count most of all.

Hong

The Strongest
Robin would "fall under Grima's control" for the FS. It's the player's choice, but not Robin's. You let this happen as the player because you want to win.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

I hope that you are correct, because that would add a lot of fun to playing as Robin. More options are rarely a bad thing.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If Little Mac can have three different Side Smashes determined by the way the control stick is angled, I don't see why Robin can't have his own variation on a traditional Smash mechanic.

Robin's walking into those two Jab combos with the different tomes in hand. So it's likely he'll have a Thunder and Dark Jab combo to complete the ensemble.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Robin would "fall under Grima's control" for the FS. It's the player's choice, but not Robin's. You let this happen as the player because you want to win.
Yeah... as cool-looking and absolutely terrifying as Grima is, I wouldn't like that, honestly.

Grima will make an incredible boss character if they're able to shoehorn it in somehow, however.

Hong

The Strongest
What we have now is absolutely incredible and IMO way cooler than anything Grima can do, I'll agree to that.

I would honestly love a better Fire Emblem stage for Wii U since Colosseum is kind of boring.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I don't think that jab mechanic from brawl will apply now that there are set finishers now for rapid jabs.

Have we seen tilts? I think all we've seen so far is the down tilt.

Last edited:

someonetookjacob

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I am of the camp that the jab-jab-jab vs jabjabjabjabjabjab moves are what we are seeing, that actually makes alot of sense and in many ways the wind jab combo resembles pits rabid hit combo. Nice catch on the person who suggested it. I am fairly convinced.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

Want to point out that tomes seem to only affect the finisher of a jab, not the jabs themselves

If tomes aren't able to be reloaded at will, does anyone else think we'll get a 5th jab that's just sword swings?

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think that jab mechanic from brawl will apply now that there are set finishers now for rapid jabs.

I thought his ftilt was the sword thrust he uses when Marth and Ike arrive in the trailer.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Want to point out that tomes seem to only affect the finisher of a jab, not the jabs themselves

If tomes aren't able to be reloaded at will, does anyone else think we'll get a 5th jab that's just sword swings?
Yeah tomes only seem to affect the finisher. Either a sword swing or the jab simply just ends short.

Also nosferatu and the grab are two different moves. Look at Robin's stance and sword placement when doing said moves.

If nosferatu was a pummel animation he would've returned back to a neutral grab state after the pummel executes. Also note that both diddy and palutena are in neutral position before being caught; different start ups for both animations.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Right, that's what I meant. I should have specified. :p

Robin'll likely just go through the two sword swings he already uses and just end it there.

Or he can go through a final tome move, just without a hitbox, similar to Nolimar using Smashes without Pikmin, as a way for the devs to say "Good job dummy, see what happens when you use your tomes too fast? Enjoy looking foolish." :p

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Have some questions of my own:

1. What's your favorite class for Morgan?
2. Who do you generally marry Morgan to?
Sorcerer. Because Dark Magic with Galeforce, Armsthrift, Tomefair, and Vengeance is too good to pass up. I've done the same combo so many times that now I can't even picture Morgan as anything other than a Sorcerer.
I like marrying Morgan to Inigo and then immediately doing the supports between Inigo and the avatar in which Inigo talks about hitting on some floozy. All of the awkward. :troll:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice

ftilt is the attack he uses when he says "worthy opponents indeed" in reference to ike and marth

If Little Mac can have three different Side Smashes determined by the way the control stick is angled, I don't see why Robin can't have his own variation on a traditional Smash mechanic.

Robin's walking into those two Jab combos with the different tomes in hand. So it's likely he'll have a Thunder and Dark Jab combo to complete the ensemble.
Mario has different side smash based on angle, a lot of characters do actually.

Yeah tomes only seem to affect the finisher. Either a sword swing or the jab simply just ends short.

Also nosferatu and the grab are two different moves. Look at Robin's stance and sword placement when doing said moves.

If nosferatu was a pummel animation he would've returned back to a neutral grab state after the pummel executes. Also note that both diddy and palutena are in neutral position before being caught; different start ups for both animations.
Yeah, I've said i'm convince nosferatsu is not a pummel, and the fact that palutena is in a neutral position Ig it means its not a counter :c

it could be something like pkf or mewtwo's infinite jab, DIable and all and not a command grab.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
If it hasn't already caught on, I would like to propose we officially abbreviate Levin-sword moves as

LS<stuff>

Especially because that means we get LSDair and LSD-Smash.

And Bronze Sword as BS. Because BSFair BSF-Smash, etc.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If its done, I can really see this working out well. Actual tactics for the tactician. Goood, goooood!

At least unlike Pokemon Trainer, you don't start being bad at things (as in being sluggish) for NOT switching. That, and you don't get punished or possibly KO'd for switching.

Just gonna have to learn what the counts are, and how long it takes them to refresh. Good Robins will get that **** DOWN.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
Also remember, this is the Wii U/3DS. Nintendo has the ability to send out patches now if Robin's mechanics end up being abysmal.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
ftilt is the attack he uses when he says "worthy opponents indeed" in reference to ike and marth
Yeha Hong pointed it out to me a couple posts. Good catch.

Yeah, I've said i'm convince nosferatsu is not a pummel, and the fact that palutena is in a neutral position Ig it means its not a counter :c
Oh i wasn't really responding to you when i made the post. I was just pointing it out on based on the topic about the command grab topic.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
My only concern is about the tome break and Robin Up B.

I'm pretty sure that wind blades used in the trailer are Robin Up B, and also, the way they can be aimed give this hint as well.

So my question is, when the tome runs out, we lose the Up B? This can hurt a lot Robin's gameplay, as all spells are stored in the same tome, and will lead you to manage your spell casts wisely so you will still have a recovery move in dire moments.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
If it hasn't already caught on, I would like to propose we officially abbreviate Levin-sword moves as

LS<stuff>

Especially because that means we get LSDair and LSD-Smash.

And Bronze Sword as BS. Because BSFair BSF-Smash, etc.
That's fitting.
I'm sure Bronze Sword attacks compared to Levin Sword attacks will indeed be BS.

In fact, let's make this a thing. Whenever we say "bull ****" we will instead say "Bronze Sword."

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
Well Sakurai's post today explains how things are gonna work. Apparently Levin Sword has so many uses then breaks into the Bronze sword but it looks like after some time it will go back to the Levin Sword. And the Tomes are tied to each of his specials. I gotta admit robin is gonna be weird to play as.

Top Bottom