• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
That's electric charge, nothing to do with a move that changes tomes.
I'm still not convinced there's a manual input for switching tomes. I still think that flash was part of the Arcthunder attack.
Well compare it to the other instance of the move:

We don't see a quick spark before the projectile shoots off
I hypothesize that the spark you see is the charging animation before the user manages to tap B a second time, though it certainly could be a tome switch mechanic.
The animation is different from the other charging animation we see Robin doing earlier on in the trailer. I'll make a gif. But it could very well be a quick tap input as well.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The first frame of the animation looks cut off. I don't see this as evidence.
Agreed.

Think of it this way. You're Lucario and you hold B for a second. You charge up the Sphere a little, then let go and you fire your built up projectile. Same thing here, you charge the book for a second, then fire the built up charge.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
The animation is different from the other charging animation we see Robin doing earlier on in the trailer. I'll make a gif. But it could very well be a quick tap input as well.
It looks to me like the entire animation hadn't finished coming out.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yes, that is Arcfire, and the same symbol is used for Arcthunder's sprites in FE, but I checked again and caught a shot of the Thoron tome right before Robin uses in the trailer. Still the same symbol.

I think it's entirely possible that Smash won't perfectly match the FE tome sprites. If we're going by sprites from the Fire Emblem games, then the symbol doesn't match any of the Thoron sprites. The closest one is the second to last one, but there's obvious differences.
Something to consider: That's showing Arcthunder's symbol. What comes before Thoron? Arcthunder. See the big flash that happens JUUUUUUUST before he uses Thoron? That's probably the point it changes to Thoron's tome.

I still think I'm on track, man.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Well compare it to the other instance of the move:

We don't see a quick spark before the projectile shoots off

In fact, you can see the flash when he uses El Thunder. Watch the video at slow speed and you'll see it.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Mr. Sakurai surely knew what level the fan-base had elevated Captain Falcon. It was clear from his debut in Subspace Emissary, which was equally as epic. They know how much we like to see him, and how awesome it would make a newcomer seem if the Captain had met his match.
in fact I still remember the universal character poll in this site that looked for the most popular smash character. be it a confirmed veteran, unconfirmed veteran confirmed newcomer or a whole bunch of posible newcomers....

Who won? Mario? Bfhaaahaha, he hit the dust, sheik? marth? fox? meh, not even close, Ridley? Mewtwo? megaman? they wish...

The absolute winner was captain Falcon by a wide margin.

Hong

The Strongest
I noticed that there hasn't been a social thread on this sub forum yet.

@ Hong Hong Do you mind if I start one, or do you think that won't be necessary?
This thread is basically the social thread lol.

After you've made it, this thread will be relegated to Robin general discussion. This includes Robin in Smash Bros, Robin in Fire Emblem, and all things Robin besides a certain sidekick of Batman or any number of songbirds.

Social thread will be for Robin players to talk to each other within the boundaries of forum code of conduct. This include all of the above, and just getting to know each other. :)

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I believe that his standard B is thunder, elthunder, arcthunder, and thoron similar to how samus' charge shot works and will be able to hold the charge (he is shown charging the book in the trailer). The Side B looks to be arcfire (fem-robin uses it then arc thunder in the trailer). The Up B seems to be elwind and can be done twice or possibly they happen together. All that is left is the downB Nosferatu which may be a command grab, or a move with hit stun that can only happen for a short period and will heal robin (healing double helix swirls around robin when the move goes off). At least that is my speculation... based on F.E.

On another note the only tome that seems to be discarded will be the thunder tome and when it is expended robin will take out the levin sword till the thunder tome is reactivated. Only the thunder book will be able to have this effect since loosing a projectile move in game is not that bad, loosing a zoning mechanic is worse but not terrible, losing a recovery would be the worst thing ever and then he would just be a elemental version of the other emblem dudes which would suck imo.

These inferences are made based on mine and my older brother's knowledge of Fore Emblem and on Sakurai's focus on thunder in the trailer. In the 3DS game Robin uses the Thunder tome in all of the cutscenes and even if the player has reclassed him into a non-magic class. But then again I may be looking into this a bit much hahaha.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

After you've made it, this thread will be relegated to Robin general discussion. This includes Robin in Smash Bros, Robin in Fire Emblem, and all things Robin besides a certain sidekick of Batman or any number of songbirds.

Social thread will be for Robin players to talk to each other within the boundaries of forum code of conduct. This include all of the above, and just getting to know each other. :)
...Can we start the "Hong is the best Mod" thread? :awesome:

mimgrim

Smash Hero

I'm the class clown aren't I?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe that his standard B is thunder, elthunder, arcthunder, and thoron similar to how samus' charge shot works and will be able to hold the charge (he is shown charging the book in the trailer). The Side B looks to be arcfire (fem-robin uses it then arc thunder in the trailer). The Up B seems to be elwind and can be done twice or possibly they happen together. All that is left is the downB Nosferatu which may be a command grab, or a move with hit stun that can only happen for a short period and will heal robin (healing double helix swirls around robin when the move goes off). At least that is my speculation... based on F.E.

On another note the only tome that seems to be discarded will be the thunder tome and when it is expended robin will take out the levin sword till the thunder tome is reactivated. Only the thunder book will be able to have this effect since loosing a projectile move in game is not that bad, loosing a zoning mechanic is worse but not terrible, losing a recovery would be the worst thing ever and then he would just be a elemental version of the other emblem dudes which would suck imo.

These inferences are made based on mine and my older brother's knowledge of Fore Emblem and on Sakurai's focus on thunder in the trailer. In the 3DS game Robin uses the Thunder tome in all of the cutscenes and even if the player has reclassed him into a non-magic class. But then again I may be looking into this a bit much hahaha.
Robin is seen with a Levin sword with every single type of tome in hand. No, I think all tomes can break. Now, Robin focusing on thunder? Yes, that is intended because Robin was more heavily a thunder-based character, and that's probably why Robin got the Levin Sword as well. That said, I don't think thunder is the only tome that can break, I think it implies any tome can break, and it never once said "thunder tomes become unusable," it said tomes in general.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
just a quick question... how do you put that fancy character backgrounds in your posts?

or is just a premium user only feature? :0

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Sorry accidental post lol

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
...Can we start the "Hong is the best Mod" thread? :awesome:
*Crosses arms*
I-I only moderate you guys because it's my job! It's not that I like you or anything!
I'm the class clown aren't I?
It's not that you were wrong. :) The Robin forums are still in their infancy. You could only have a social thread and not a general character thread, since the former includes the latter, but down the line post release they'll both start to differentiate.

The general thread will be more about the character in general.
The social thread will be where all of who frequent the Robin forums will hang out.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I can't wait to see this forum grow in the next few years.

Just last week we could only just imagine there being a "The Shepherds' Roster: A Robin Matchup Guide", "The Battle Record: A Robin Video Thread", and various threads for tier placings and advanced techniques.

But now? That's all going to become reality. And I am stoked for it.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I can't wait to see this forum grow in the next few years.

Just last week we could only just imagine there being a "The Shepherds' Roster: A Robin Matchup Guide", "The Battle Record: A Robin Video Thread", and various threads for tier placings and advanced techniques.

But now? That's all going to become reality. And I am stoked for it.
We were discussing the same thing in the Shulk thread. Here's hoping we get to celebrate the same reality! But yeah. I'm just as excited as anyone here! Robin metagame here we come!!

Luminario

Smash Lord
Is it possible that the tome discarding animation is purely aesthetic? or like Dust's theory where only the thunder tome is discarded? breakable weapons in games is one of my biggest pet peeves and I really don't want to hesitate to play as Robin due to the fact she'll lose all of her moves after a while if I keep using them (the theory that bronze sword and levin sword cycling when one breaks is alright though).

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Looking it, it actually it matches the charging animation frame:

So it would only makes sense to be the charging start up

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I'll get to it! The Social thread will need some nice fan art of our favorite tactician, so I'll be searching the web for them.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Is it possible that the tome discarding animation is purely aesthetic? or like Dust's theory where only the thunder tome is discarded? breakable weapons in games is one of my biggest pet peeves and I really don't want to hesitate to play as Robin due to the fact she'll lose all of her moves after a while if I keep using them (the theory that bronze sword and levin sword cycling when one breaks is alright though).
But I suggested that only Thunder Tomes can break first!
Of course it's possible, but I really don't see why Sakurai would give us a pointless, punishable animation where Robin tosses his tome if it has no actual effect on gameplay. Just my two cents.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Of course it's possible, but I really don't see why Sakurai would give us a pointless, punishable animation where Robin tosses his tome if it has no actual effect on gameplay. Just my two cents.
I've actually been wondering if the tome can be chucked in any direction like an item. I have a burning need to toss books at people's faces.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
image.jpg

"The tacticians of Ylisse come from all sorts of backgrounds, and each of them has their own story to tell for how they got here."

So yeah, welcome to the fan club! Make yourselves at home Robin fans, and feel free to talk about anything you like.

Remember to civil, everyone. A true tactician creates the best strategies when his or her mind isn't clouded with anger and spite.

Here's moar fanart of Robin.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
I'll get to it! The Social thread will need some nice fan art of our favorite tactician, so I'll be searching the web for them.
This is obviously the most natural thing for Robins to be doing with each other:

And the many Morgans that will result.

Jokes aside, I like to imagine Robin and Chrom are in deep discussion between matches, getting some feedback on battle tactics!
But don't work too hard.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I have two questions to start us off:

1) Who is your favorite Fire Emblem character?
2) Who is your favorite blue haired lord?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Maybe it's a trade off to upgrade to the Levin Sword??? We don't see him with the Levin sword until after he is shown discarding the tome in the trailer.

Last edited:

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I do find it humorous how Robin's default hair is silver/white, yet Morgan's is a dark blue/green. Pretty sure the only other child not to share their parent's hair color in official art is Inigo, isn't it?

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Maybe it's a trade off to upgrade to the Levin Sword??? We don't see him with the Levin sword until after he is shown discarding the tome in the trailer.
This is what I think, yes. The question would then be whether he can trade any tome for the Levin Sword or only a specific one (most likely the Thunder Tome).

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
This is obviously the most natural thing for Robins to be doing with each other:

And the many Morgans that will result.
I am super confused at the fact that Robin x Robin is a thing.

But then again, I ship Ridley x Waluigi and Metroid x Isabella, so I'm not one to talk.

Hong

The Strongest
I do find it humorous how Robin's default hair is silver/white, yet Morgan's is a dark blue/green. Pretty sure the only other child not to share their parent's hair color in official art is Inigo, isn't it?
Yep.

A real shame. Awakening could use more pink hair.

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
Robin is seen with a Levin sword with every single type of tome in hand. No, I think all tomes can break. Now, Robin focusing on thunder? Yes, that is intended because Robin was more heavily a thunder-based character, and that's probably why Robin got the Levin Sword as well. That said, I don't think thunder is the only tome that can break, I think it implies any tome can break, and it never once said "thunder tomes become unusable," it said tomes in general.
Yeah you might be right but it's still a fun little theory i have. But what i'm wondering now is if you'll be able to use another tome like arch fire if you have the levin sword out.

Of course it's possible, but I really don't see why Sakurai would give us a pointless, punishable animation where Robin tosses his tome if it has no actual effect on gameplay. Just my two cents.[/quotI di
Oh sorry man i didn't read where you said that. My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

The tacticians of Ylisse come from all sorts of backgrounds, but each of them has a completely different story to tell.

So yeah, welcome to the fan club! Make yourselves at home Robin fans, and feel free to talk about anything you like.

This post will be updated in the near future to accommodate this thread, because right now I have homework to do. *huff* *huff* *huff*
The image is broken for me. :c
I have two questions to start us off:

1) Who is your favorite Fire Emblem character?
2) Who is your favorite blue haired lord?
1. Female: Nah (obvious); Male: Knoll (from SS)

Female Honorable Mentions: Micaiah, Cherche, Lyn, Ilyana
Male Honorable Mentions: Ephraim, Soren, Volke, Stefan

2. Hector
Because Non-Sword Lords are my favorites because they break from the trend, imo.
NON-SWORD LORDS FOR THE WIN

And because of this beautiful stuff:

Some questions of my own:

1. What is your favorite class for Robin?
2. What is your favorite marriage partner for Robin/favorite Support Conversation(s)?
3. What is your favorite parent for Morgan (aside from Robin)?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
IMO this thread is kinda the social.
Remember that this board is for Robin's iteration in Smash Bros, not Robin as a character in Fire Emblem. Us generally talking about Robin/Fire Emblem is actually "out of place" for anything but a social/general thread.

Not worth being too worried about this dynamic though, we don't have the game yet~

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The image is broken for me. :c

1. Female: Nah (obvious); Male: Knoll (from SS)

Female Honorable Mentions: Micaiah, Cherche, Lyn, Ilyana
Male Honorable Mentions: Ephraim, Soren, Volke, Stefan

2. Hector
Because Non-Sword Lords are my favorites because they break from the trend, imo.
NON-SWORD LORDS FOR THE WIN

And because of this beautiful stuff:

Some questions of my own:

1. What is your favorite class for Robin?
2. What is your favorite marriage partner for Robin/favorite Support Conversation(s)?
3. What is your favorite parent for Morgan (aside from Robin)?
Oh no, sorry about that. Let me try and fix it.

EDIT: is it there? I saved the image on imgur and brought it back here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom