• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I think its clear Robin's tomes can come back after a while, so my guess is that, yes, even Elwind can break, which will nerf Robin's recovery. Which is justified, especially because that recovery looks OP without the ability for it to be lost.
I just want to address the "OP" nature of Robin's recovery. As far as I can tell, Robin is one of the only (if not the only) non-tether recovery that only attacks below him. I think that is a pretty significant factor in favor of his recovery being good but not OP.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I agree with you, and honestly, I agree with GameXplain, too, since they thought as you do on that move.
I see why you guys think so, but I think it's simply the Levin Sword. If it was the Bronze Sword, it'd be a weak slash infront of him. However the Levin Sword is striking the ground, shooting bolts to both sides of him. I personally think the Levin Sword enhances all his hitboxes and give his attacks additional effects as well, like FSmash having a lightning hitbox to both sides beside the main sword slash.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Ok, guys, sorry about that, looks like you were right. Anyway, I'm just wondering what the custom movesets will be now. Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if each attack has a different durability. Speaking of which, I'd be surprised if Robin didn't also have Fire, Elfire, Wind, and Arcwind. My guess is they're still all tied to a specific special but activating them works in different ways.

What's wrong with Elwind being able to break, though? I think its clear Robin's tomes can come back after a while, so my guess is that, yes, even Elwind can break, which will nerf Robin's recovery. Which is justified, especially because that recovery looks OP without the ability for it to be lost. Basically, like everything else, you have to balance using Elwind for recovery, otherwise you can waste it too soon and lose it when you need it most.

Plus, Ice Climbers. If you lose your partner, your recovery is shot.
Robin's recovery wouldn't be nerfed. It would be nonexistent. Outside of your double jump at least. There's gotta be something to replace his recovery at the time.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Robin's recovery wouldn't be nerfed. It would be nonexistent. Outside of your double jump at least. There's gotta be something to replace his recovery at the time.
Why would it? You would just need to be careful with your recoveries. I think using 35 per match is more than enough recoveries.

ClinkStryphart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClinkStryphart
3DS FC
1891-1406-8889
I'm wondering if the Levin Sword is activated in a way due to the use of Magic. I mean you look at some of the screenshots and what not the Bronze Sword starts to glow Teal(ish) I'm wondering if the sword becomes viable after you do so many spells. At least that what it looks like in the screens to me.

Morbi

Scavenger
Has anyone figured out which move he is using at the end of the trailer? I did not use Fire magic too much in Fire Emblem, so I am not sure if it is reminiscent of one of those spells or not.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I just want to address the "OP" nature of Robin's recovery. As far as I can tell, Robin is one of the only (if not the only) non-tether recovery that only attacks below him. I think that is a pretty significant factor in favor of his recovery being good but not OP.
Greninja's recovery only attacks below him, also. It's hardly ideal for use as an attacking move, but... Robin's Elwind is a rather large (double) projectile, so it seems better.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
...looking at gameplay again, I think Robin is very likely going to become one of the characters I end up hard maining. In basically every game I play, if there is an option to choose a very straightforward character with a low skill cap, but high potential? I will fall flat on my face and will be unable to do ANYTHING as them.

However, if there's a character that's so unfathomably complicated, that requires very specific actions or requires that you keep track of an absurd amount of things to perform even semi-decently and even more to perform very well, I will immediately click with them and use them. Robin and Rosalina look to be those characters this time around.

Examples would be:
Best - Worst

League of Legends
Swain - Ashe

Injustice
Green Arrow - Superman

Skullgirls
Big Band / Squigly - Filia

Vanguard Princess
Luna. I need say no more.

Arcana Heart
Scharlarot / Dorothy - Heart

And so on and so forth.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm wondering if the Levin Sword is activated in a way due to the use of Magic. I mean you look at some of the screenshots and what not the Bronze Sword starts to glow Teal(ish) I'm wondering if the sword becomes viable after you do so many spells. At least that what it looks like in the screens to me.

I'm thinking the sword glows when you do a Bair or something, that's what it looks like FRobin is doing.

Has anyone figured out which move he is using at the end of the trailer? I did not use Fire magic too much in Fire Emblem, so I am not sure if it is reminiscent of one of those spells or not.
Which one? The final smash?

Last edited:

Neo Zero

This is something I think we've been overlooking. I feel like this glow ties to the Levin Sword somehow. After all, FeMU isn't doing any attack so that can't be it. I think we're on the right track with this image now.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
It's Forward Smash imo. However, it shows the pure power of Levin Sword. It not only has more range, but also covers more area around him, in this case both sides. Making a decent attack much safer
This actually reminds me that I also think that the thrust that people seem to think is a tilt might actually be his forward smash. I immediately thought "smash" when I saw that attack.

Just something I forgot to mention.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
This is the only trailer video I could find that had the Japanese subtitles, in case you wanted to know what they were.

(Wow, Japan gave Chrom the harsher line at the end. D: )

(Guy brings up a good point at 0:34 tho)

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This is something I think we've been overlooking. I feel like this glow ties to the Levin Sword somehow. After all, FeMU isn't doing any attack so that can't be it. I think we're on the right track with this image now.
It is possible that it could just be a windup for the bair and it effects the sword with wind or ice.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Maybe Robin is a pure offensive character.

Once all his spells are maxed out (including his Up B recovery), his sword morphs into his lightning blade. The blade has power and range. But Robin no longer has projectiles, a way to recover health, or any kind of recovery.

His roll looks fairly average or even below. I'd say that Robin wants to keep the pressure high.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
...looking at gameplay again, I think Robin is very likely going to become one of the characters I end up hard maining. In basically every game I play, if there is an option to choose a very straightforward character with a low skill cap, but high potential? I will fall flat on my face and will be unable to do ANYTHING as them.

However, if there's a character that's so unfathomably complicated, that requires very specific actions or requires that you keep track of an absurd amount of things to perform even semi-decently and even more to perform very well, I will immediately click with them and use them. Robin and Rosalina look to be those characters this time around.

Examples would be:
Best - Worst

League of Legends
Swain - Ashe

Injustice
Green Arrow - Superman

Skullgirls
Big Band / Squigly - Filia

Vanguard Princess
Luna. I need say no more.

And so on and so forth.
I agree. My sister is the opposite, so I am somewhat surprised that she intends to main Robin. She mains Bowser and Ike as those "straight-forward" characters with a low skill-gap. I suppose that is not always the case as she is also invested in Pit and/or Yoshi. She predominantly favors easy to use characters though, despite their tier. For instance, in MK9, she mained Sheeva.

I always go for extremely complicated characters for whatever reason. I am not even sure why to be honest. So Robin is really resonating with me. I hope that we do have to manage our tomes and figure out when to use the Levin sword. That sounds like fun.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Watch Sakurai only explain how Thunder works tonight -__-;

Edit: because, you know, it was the one major thing we figured out ourselves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As odd as it may sound, could Robin's transition be based on a "meter" system where the Bronze Sword glows brighter and brighter as more attacks are used (or something like that) until it transitions to the Levin Sword.

Like a slightly different version of my Strong/Slow Start Sword Theory?

EDIT: Guess not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is the only trailer video I could find that had the Japanese subtitles, in case you wanted to know what they were.

Wow, Robin's Japanese VA is fantastic. (Although I like David Vincent too.)

"Will I never...get my turn?" Ouch...

Neo Zero

It is possible that it could just be a windup for the bair and it effects the sword with wind or ice.
I concede. You're right, it's tied to an attack. I looked over the trailer and Robin's sword glows numerous times while doing other attacks such as jabbing.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Watch Sakurai only explain how Thunder works tonight -__-;
I'm more curious on Robin's overall functionality.

On Bronze to Levin Sword, I dunno if it'll be as you guys say, since both blades are separate in-game.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Why would it? You would just need to be careful with your recoveries. I think using 35 per match is more than enough recoveries.
I think that's the point. No-one is going to use a spell that is (for the most part) designed to bring a character back to the stage 35 times in the average match. Having 35 uses of the move sounds pretty redundant IMO. If there is a limit, it needs to be reachable.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think that's the point. No-one is going to use a spell that is (for the most part) designed to bring a character back to the stage 35 times in the average match. Having 35 uses of the move sounds pretty redundant IMO. If there is a limit, it needs to be reachable.
It could be tweaked to 25, it depends if Sakurai wants to stick with the original usage or not.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
What do you mean by that?
Well-- it seemed like you guys made it sound there was some sort of transition from the Bronze Sword to Levin Sword, because of the glowing effects, it'd change it's form or something like that.

Seems I jumped too fast into conclusions.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Well-- it seemed like you guys made it sound there was some sort of transition from the Bronze Sword to Levin Sword, because of the glowing effects, it'd change it's form or something like that.

I think the glow is just a backair and Neo agreed with me.

I can't wait to play as Robin. If the books are going to work the way I imagine, he will be the most complex character ever!

D

Deleted member

We have theorized that Robin starts with one of the swords and uses it until it breaks, at which point Robin will pull out the other sword.

The theory (which I originally wrote) can be found in the OP if you would like to read it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Basically the idea is, Robin gets something else to replace the recovery temporarily.

Now, back to my previous theory... yeah, there are too many holes in it. Captain Olimar's previous recovery was based on how many Pikmin he had, and it was basically fully intended to be a tether recovery fully. Ice Climbers haven't even been seen yet. So currently, if Robin's tome can break, Robin's the only character who can lose his recovery (unless Ice Climbers are back and exactly the same as before).

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146

You know what adds to that whole "Falcon is God" thing? Lucina seems legitimately scared/surprised at his power. LUCINA. One of the most badass characters in Nintendo canon. She faces down a literal god twice.

And she's still afraid of Falcon. That's how badass he is.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Basically the idea is, Robin gets something else to replace the recovery temporarily.

Now, back to my previous theory... yeah, there are too many holes in it. Captain Olimar's previous recovery was based on how many Pikmin he had, and it was basically fully intended to be a tether recovery fully. Ice Climbers haven't even been seen yet. So currently, if Robin's tome can break, Robin's the only character who can lose his recovery (unless Ice Climbers are back and exactly the same as before).
I don't think that if you run out of your recovery, you will get something else. The strategy would be to not waste your tome usage.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
You know what adds to that whole "Falcon is God" thing? Lucina seems legitimately scared/surprised at his power. LUCINA. One of the most badass characters in Nintendo canon. She faces down a literal god twice.

Divine Justice is kind of his thing.

He's the only character in the universe who can perform a Sacred Combo.

Rabbattack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RabbitLord443
3DS FC
1627-8463-7654
Robin is my waifu.

Also when are we getting our own forum? Will they lock this one when they finish?

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I always go for extremely complicated characters for whatever reason. I am not even sure why to be honest. So Robin is really resonating with me. I hope that we do have to manage our tomes and figure out when to use the Levin sword. That sounds like fun.
If that's the case, you should try out Luna from Vanguard Princess. Undoubtedly the most complicated character I've ever played, but so damn fun. Long story short, she's a stance character with eight stances and can only switch between them with specific moves and even then, the stance that you end up in is limited by which stance you were previously in and the button you pressed.

Here's a chart of her stances, if you're interested and how they change into one another.

On topic: What I really want is more info on the Levin Sword. In most of the screenshots and gameplay, it isn't present.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I think the tomes really do have a durability system (whereby they become unavailable for further use) they will be based on either each stock or a simple regenerative cycle, and the number will be fairly low.

Somebody earlier suggested that the more magic damage you deal, the closer you get to the Levin sword. I think it's probably something along those lines, though my own personal theory is that a tome will reach its durability limit, regenerate immediately, and temporarily give access to the Levin Sword.

D

Deleted member

I suppose Lucina failed to show him her moves, so Robin had to step in to tip the scales.
Then again, we already knew how powerful Falcon was... he is so powerful that he disconfirmed a character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom