• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Back on topic-- Tomes are the most important part of Robin's moveset. Those clearly consist of most of his/her Special Moves.

Neutral B in the Trailer were clearly Thunder -> Elthunder -> Arcthunder -> Thoron.
Side B apparently is Arcfire.
Up B or Down B could be Elwind.
Down B is most likely Nosferatu.

Either it's that, or his/her tomes mostly consist of his/her Neutral B attack. Gosh this is why I was so eager for Robin, his/her moveset potential is so high, and the Smash Bros team did justice to him/her.
Your technically wrong. We have not seen Elthunder, it just skips to Arcthunder. It also skips it in the gif above I believe.

However I am positive that they are his special moves, because why would Sakurai only show us the Neutral B for every version? Also it seems way more complicated.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Would it really make sense for Robin to lose his recovery? It's possible, but I can't see it happening. My theory covers this issue.
Mind reposting this theory? I've missed quite a few pages and wouldn't know where to find it.

Your technically wrong. We have not seen Elthunder, it just skips to Arcthunder.

However I am positive that they are his special moves, because why would Sakurai only show us the Neutral B for every version? Also it seems way more complicated.
Actually you're wrong, we did see El Thunder, right after Thunder on Mario and before Arc Thunder on Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Thanks for that....though sadly that was a lot more useless than I thought it would be. Ah well.

I REALLY hope Levin Sword is tonights PotD
I speak (more like listen, can't read) some Japanese, and I can confirm it's a very accurate translation. But if it didn't help your case then, well... there's nothing that can be done.

Personal preference, but I do hope we get Dual Audio now, I like Robin's voice in Japanese more, specially because Female Robin is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro.

Your technically wrong. We have not seen Elthunder, it just skips to Arcthunder. It also skips it in the gif above I believe.

Am I? I'm pretty sure Robin did say "Elthunder!", but if you mean we didn't see it in action, then you're right.

Unless Robin has a mechanic similar to Olimar's, as in, switch tomes, then it's a possibility. But in Awakening, we had the Fire, Thunder, Wind and Darkness tomes, each which could be fit in every single Special Attack category.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

Naw, it charges from Thunder to Elthunder to Arcthunder to Thoron. Watch very closely.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Mind reposting this theory? I've missed quite a few pages and wouldn't know where to find it.
Sure. It was in response to this:
The mechanic of the Levin Sword still eludes me, however. Definitely the biggest mystery. Robin is seen using thunder magic alongside the Levin Sword, so it's not a direct replacement of the thunder spells. In fact, the Levin Sword is seen alongside all the tome colors.
This is the part that confuses me the most. I had a theory that only the Thunder Tomes can actually break. This is because only the Thunder spells are shown to charge, only the Thunder tome is shown being tossed away and the Levin Sword does electric-element damage. So I thought that the Levin Sword would replace Robin's Thunder as the (tentative) neutral Special. We see him use the Levin Sword in two attacks, an overhead slam attack on the ground and an uppercut in the air (think of it like how Kirby's Hammer is slightly different when used in the air).

But the problem with this is that, as you said, we can see Robin wielding the Levin Sword with all 4 tome colours. The only way my theory could be correct is if after the Thunder tome breaks and Robin gets the Levin Sword, either A. He can regain the Thunder Tome without losing a stock, or B. He continues to hold the Thunder tome, regardless of it becoming unusable. Both sound unlikely

Neo Zero

Naw, it charges from Thunder to Elthunder to Arcthunder to Thoron. Watch very closely.
To add to that (I edited my previous post covering it anyway) El Thunder looks like it's a larger, more durable Thunder. It doesn't really have anything remarkable about it.

Sure. It was in response to this:

This is the part that confuses me the most. I had a theory that only the Thunder Tomes can actually break. This is because only the Thunder spells are shown to charge, only the Thunder tome is shown being tossed away and the Levin Sword does electric-element damage. So I thought that the Levin Sword would replace Robin's Thunder as the (tentative) neutral Special. We see him use the Levin Sword in two attacks, an overhead slam attack on the ground and an uppercut in the air (think of it like how Kirby's Hammer is slightly different when used in the air).

But the problem with this is that, as you said, we can see Robin wielding the Levin Sword with all 4 tome colours. The only way my theory could be correct is if after the Thunder tome breaks and Robin gets the Levin Sword, either A. He can regain the Thunder Tome without losing a stock, or B. He continues to hold the Thunder tome, regardless of it becoming unusable. Both sound unlikely
Ah you meant that one. Derp on my part. Well just like how we concluded only Thunder can be charged, this assumes only Thunder can break, as it's the only one we've seen breaking. It's possible I supposed, but it'd kind of make the characters gimmick pointless if that was the case.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Technically, it only shows him charging up to Arcthunder. The symbol for Thoron doesn't show as far as I can see, but it was obviously going to show up very soon. Plus, I mean, he uses all of them in the trailer, later. Calls them by name.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Actually you're wrong, we did see El Thunder, right after Thunder on Mario and before Arc Thunder on Wii Fit Trainer.
Oh jeez how could I miss that! I guess since there was no Gif I thought it just skipped it because that moment was so short. I'm sorry.

Technically, it only shows him charging up to Arcthunder. The symbol for Thoron doesn't show as far as I can see, but it was obviously going to show up very soon. Plus, I mean, he uses all of them in the trailer, later. Calls them by name.
That fact could actually confirm my theory. What if he used all of the Elthunders? Now it would skip it now that he doesn't have that tome.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The symbol in the last charge of my GIF looks the same as the symbol on the Fire tome in my profile pic. We could assume that Arcfire and Arcthunder share the same symbol. So yeah, this sounds right to me.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The symbol in the last charge of my GIF looks the symbol as the symbol on the Fire tome in my profile pic. We could assume that Arcfire and Arcthunder share the same symbol. So yeah, this sounds right to me.
Or what if he used all of his Elthunders? That might prove my theory correct, that each of the different charged versions has a unique durability.

Neo Zero

Actually, you're mistaken my friend. I got you covered

Boom, Thoron.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That fact could actually confirm my theory. What if he used all of the Elthunders? Now it would skip it now that he doesn't have that tome.
You're right, but for a different reason. Your theory of all the spells breaking after so many uses can be true, but the spell that doesn't show in the gif is Thoron. It shows Thunder, Elthunder, and Arcthunder.

Watching it in 1080p HD on Youtube really helps!

Actually, you're mistaken my friend. I got you covered

Boom, Thoron.
I was referring to not seeing Thoron's symbol during the charging segment specifically. Obviously Thoron's symbol would show up elsewhere. But thank you all the same.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Or what if he used all of his Elthunders? That might prove my theory correct, that each of the different charged versions has a unique durability.
Well as always, all I can say is that it's possible. The charge theory I'm most inclined to is that he doesn't have a specific number of uses of each level, but rather all levels share a metaphorical (or perhaps literal, who knows?) "meter" if you will, and that the higher levels spells drain more of said meter, making the tome break faster.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
The symbol in the last charge of my GIF looks the symbol as the symbol on the Fire tome in my profile pic. We could assume that Arcfire and Arcthunder share the same symbol. So yeah, this sounds right to me.
I would imagine the symbols on the tome in smash are the same as (or mostly similar to) the symbols in Awakening (in other words: yes).

edit: I'm dumb

Last edited:

Neo Zero

You're right, but for a different reason. Your theory of all the spells breaking after so many uses can be true, but the spell that doesn't show in the gif is Thoron. It shows Thunder, Elthunder, and Arcthunder.

Watching it in 1080p HD on Youtube really helps!

I was referring to not seeing Thoron's symbol during the charging segment specifically. Obviously Thoron's symbol would show up elsewhere. But thank you all the same.
That proves it none the less though. Because

The Tome after Thoron was used.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I would imagine the symbols on the tome in smash are the same (or mostly similar to) the symbols in Awakening (in other words: yes).
They embellished Nosferatu's symbol a bit, but yes, they look to be otherwise following the game's (tiny) sprites rather faithfully.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think we are actually getting somewhere now. It just took 36 hours. Haha.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Gasp! There's no "Robin is overpowered" thread!
I made the same observation recently. XD

Probably because the tome durability mechanic seems straightforward and so it's easy to see a weakness.

Still doesn't explain why there have been no remarks on Robin firing electric Kamehamehas though.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
That proves it none the less though. Because

The Tome after Thoron was used.
AHA! So, after you use your charged thunder spell (regardless of charge level), you revert to Thunder again! Great find!

So basically, it behaves much like, say, Samus' Charge Beam, except for the whole "different levels look and act differently" thing.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Does anyone know what the Japanese reactions were like to Robin's (and Lucina's) reveal? I know that Chrom was a very popular candidate over there, and that Robin was never really considered as a likely newcomer.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
AHA! So, after you use your charged thunder spell (regardless of charge level), you revert to Thunder again! Great find!
That's really awesome because it prevents spamming. The main problem in my mind is how can you tell what spell you are on? A symbol or how much you are flashing?

Maybe, but for the Levin Sword, I think we are all still at a big lost.
I don't think we are so lost. I think that once you use all of a special move tome, once you use it again you pull out the Levin Sword. However the Levin Sword has a durability of its own, and you are able to switch back to your bronze sword again by using that special again.

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
That's really awesome because it prevents spamming. The main problem in my mind is how can you tell what spell you are on? A symbol or how much you are flashing?
The color and amount of electricity changes when you reach a new spell.

Neo Zero

Hong's theory could explain that if Robin is given a UI element to tell. If not....maybe you can tell by how much lightning surrounds you while charging?

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The color and amount of electricity changes when you reach a new spell.
Makes sense.

Hong's theory could explain that if Robin is given a UI element to tell. If not....maybe you can tell by how much lightning surrounds you while charging?
I wonder if a UI element will show the durability of your current tome.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know what the Japanese reactions were like to Robin's (and Lucina's) reveal? I know that Chrom was a very popular candidate over there, and that Robin was never really considered as a likely newcomer.
The reaction to Robin was exactly the same, probably. Because, you know, the same thing happened over here.

Morbi

Scavenger
I do not believe the Japanese fan-base got the "tip the scales" line, so I would not be surprised if they were not as hype.
:4robinm::4robinf:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ok, guys, sorry about that, looks like you were right. Anyway, I'm just wondering what the custom movesets will be now. Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if each attack has a different durability. Speaking of which, I'd be surprised if Robin didn't also have Fire, Elfire, Wind, and Arcwind. My guess is they're still all tied to a specific special but activating them works in different ways.

What's wrong with Elwind being able to break, though? I think its clear Robin's tomes can come back after a while, so my guess is that, yes, even Elwind can break, which will nerf Robin's recovery. Which is justified, especially because that recovery looks OP without the ability for it to be lost. Basically, like everything else, you have to balance using Elwind for recovery, otherwise you can waste it too soon and lose it when you need it most.

Plus, Ice Climbers. If you lose your partner, your recovery is shot.

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
So, this might be a bit controversial, but I think the attack in this gif

may actually be a down smash. If you look closely, sparks travel forward and behind Robin when the sword hits the ground, giving the attack the typical dsmash coverage.

Of course, this begs the question of what how this attack will work without the electricity from the Levin Sword when using the Bronze Sword. Honestly, I think the answer is fairly simple.

It'll just kinda suck.

If you watch the charging gif, the electricity becomes larger and orangey once the charge reaches Arcthunder.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm not so sure about that icon theory. That seems like a major detail for Robin, so wouldn't we have seen it in the trailer, or wouldn't Sakurai have talked about it briefly in the Pic of the Day for Robin?

I don't think we are so lost. I think that once you use all of a special move tome, once you use it again you pull out the Levin Sword. However the Levin Sword has a durability of its own, and you are able to switch back to your bronze sword again by using that special again.
Yeah, that's what I said a few pages back, but now I'm questioning it...

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Ok, guys, sorry about that, looks like you were right. Anyway, I'm just wondering what the custom movesets will be now. Also it wouldn't surprise me at all if each attack has a different durability. Speaking of which, I'd be surprised if Robin didn't also have Fire, Elfire, Wind, and Arcwind. My guess is they're still all tied to a specific special but activating them works in different ways.

What's wrong with Elwind being able to break, though? I think its clear Robin's tomes can come back after a while, so my guess is that, yes, even Elwind can break, which will nerf Robin's recovery. Which is justified, especially because that recovery looks OP without the ability for it to be lost. Basically, like everything else, you have to balance using Elwind for recovery, otherwise you can waste it too soon and lose it when you need it most.

Plus, Ice Climbers. If you lose your partner, your recovery is shot.
We don't know that. When tomes might break, they might not come back ever. That's my theory or else why add a durability system?

Neo Zero

may actually be a down smash. If you look closely, sparks travel forward and behind Robin when the sword hits the ground, giving the attack the typical dsmash coverage.

Of course, this begs the question of what how this attack will work without the electricity from the Levin Sword when using the Bronze Sword. Honestly, I think the answer is fairly simple.

It'll just kinda suck.

If you watch the charging gif, the electricity becomes larger and orangey once the charge reaches Arcthunder.
It's Forward Smash imo. However, it shows the pure power of Levin Sword. It not only has more range, but also covers more area around him, in this case both sides. Making a decent attack much safer

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

It'll just kinda suck.
I agree with you, and honestly, I agree with GameXplain, too, since they thought as you do on that move.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

It'll just kinda suck.

I'm guessing the animation wouldn't change with Bronze Sword because Robin isn't supposed to be that great with close combat. Great find though.

Top Bottom