• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
:) Plenty of folks dropped in to support Robin way back when. Even if you did not frequent the thread, I still remember you. Whether you were here from the start, dropped in once, frequented the thread, or are just here now, I am as equally as thankful for you as anyone else. Hong-senpai always notices you.

I'm impressed with the number of people who just joined SmashBoards because they liked the support thread, though.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Okay, my speculation:

Up-B (Grounded): Elwind

I don't think that this move is a tilt. It seems way to strong and goes on for a while. Also notice how he canceled what looks to be a jab into this move. This makes me believe this is a Special Move. And it would make sense for it to be Elwind, since we've only saw Elwind be used in the air.

F-Tilt:

I believe this is his F-Tilt.

THE TOMES!:

Okay, this is how I believe it will work. There are 4 types of tomes: Thunder, Wind, Fire, and Dark. All we know for sure is that the Thunder tome can be chargeable, and we don't know if the other versions can be charged.

Each tome has a durability of 30, which means after you use that special move 30 times, the tome breaks. Once the tome is broken, you can push the special move again to bring out your Levin sword. The Levin Sword itself has durability itself, like around 25. Which means once you deal 25 hits, it also breaks and you go back to your bronze sword.

The strategy is using your resources carefully, because if you lose a Tome or the Levin Sword, it is gone for good.

KiraYoshikage

Smash Journeyman
This is my first time ever setting foot in this thread. Hello all you Tacticians. :b:

EDIT: First time as a supporter that is. I think i did post here once yesterday. <o<

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Perhaps the Levin Sword was seen alongside the other tomes that were still available to Robin? I think we need to figure out what happens after Robin throws a tome away. For instance, if he ditches his Yellow Tome, which we assume is Neutral B, what will his new special be? Will it be something to regenerate the tome? I theorized that you will gain the Levin Sword by pressing the special move of a tome you have used up.

Let's say Robin uses up the Wind Tome and has to ditch it. Elwind acts as his recovery, but he can't do it because he used his wind powers the maximum amount of times. There has to be something to replace Elwind. Unless Robin has a double jump with great height(Mewtwo, Yoshi, Ness) or multiple jumps, he can't just not have a way to get back to the stage.

That's why I think the Levin Sword is what Robin falls back on. Possibly the Levin Sword will act as some form of recovery since Elwind is gone. Ugh, this is all going to be a mystery until Sakurai decides to explain...
You had me until you and I both realized that if Elwind wears out, he has no recovery.

And what of his jab combos? Will those wear out, too? Do you just... not have magical jab combos until it replenishes?

Aye, many questions. I'm inclined to believe that only the thunder spells will wear out, but I can't prove that.

Okay, my speculation:

I don't think that this move is a tilt. It seems way to strong and goes on for a while. Also notice how he canceled what looks to be a jab into this move. This makes me believe this is a Special Move. And it would make sense for it to be Elwind, since we've only saw Elwind be used in the air.
This is not Elwind. It looks nothing alike. I'm convinced it's the rapid jab. I'm calling it Arcwind, since it looks more powerful.

Sorry for double posting. Gettin' excited. It's been a very hype couple of days...

Last edited by a moderator:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Okay, my speculation:

Folks keep claiming this is Elwind while grounded, but Robin says the spell each time he casts it in the video. If this is grounded Elwind (and not a rapid jab), I will eat my shorts.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Okay, my speculation:

F-Tilt:

I believe this is his F-Tilt.

THE TOMES!:

Okay, this is how I believe it will work. There are 4 types of tomes: Thunder, Wind, Fire, and Dark. All we know for sure is that the Thunder tome can be chargeable, and we don't know if the other versions can be charged.

Each tome has a durability of 30, which means after you use that special move 30 times, the tome breaks. Once the tome is broken, you can push the special move again to bring out your Levin sword. The Levin Sword itself has durability itself, like around 25. Which means once you deal 25 hits, it also breaks and you go back to your bronze sword.

The strategy is using your resources carefully, because if you lose a Tome or the Levin Sword, it is gone for good.
I... kind of already had that idea with the tomes and Levin Sword.... Just check a few pages back. I didn't go into detail about how many hits you have until breaking.
You had me until you and I both realized that if Elwind wears out, he has no recovery.

And what of his jab combos? Will those wear out, too? Do you just... not have magical jab combos until it replenishes?

Aye, many questions. I'm inclined to believe that only the thunder spells will wear out, but I can't prove that.
Oh yeah, I hadn't thought of jab combos. I guess you'll lose the particular combo for the particular tome... So many possibilities...

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This is not Elwind. It looks nothing alike. I'm convinced it's the rapid jab. I'm calling it Arcwind, since it looks more powerful.

Sorry for double posting. Gettin' excited. It's been a very hype couple of days...
Well, maybe it is just Arc Wind on the ground? That works.

I did some research on the usage (Maximum Usage before Tome Breaks) of the spells used in the video:

Thunder: 45

Arcthunder: 30

Thoron: 25

Elwind: 35

Arcwind? (Grounded wind Move): 30

Fire (Jab Combo?): 45

Arcfire: 30

Nosferatu: 20

Bronze Sword: 50 (Probably Infinite in Smash)

Levin Sword: 25 (Might be able to break in Smash)

Do you think think any of this will come into play? Like once you use that move that many number of times, the tome will break?

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
The mechanic of the Levin Sword still eludes me, however. Definitely the biggest mystery. Robin is seen using thunder magic alongside the Levin Sword, so it's not a direct replacement of the thunder spells. In fact, the Levin Sword is seen alongside all the tome colors.
This is the part that confuses me the most. I had a theory that only the Thunder Tomes can actually break. This is because only the Thunder spells are shown to charge, only the Thunder tome is shown being tossed away and the Levin Sword does electric-element damage. So I thought that the Levin Sword would replace Robin's Thunder as the (tentative) neutral Special. We see him use the Levin Sword in two attacks, an overhead slam attack on the ground and an uppercut in the air (think of it like how Kirby's Hammer is slightly different when used in the air).

But the problem with this is that, as you said, we can see Robin wielding the Levin Sword with all 4 tome colours. The only way my theory could be correct is if after the Thunder tome breaks and Robin gets the Levin Sword, either A. He can regain the Thunder Tome without losing a stock, or B. He continues to hold the Thunder tome, regardless of it becoming unusable. Both sound unlikely.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

Agreed on both fronts

As my theory says, you can freely change tomes during animations to allow you to switch your A normals that use tomes to the one you need

Also whoever it was who said you get the Levin Sword after X amount of spells/spell damage, sounds like a good theory to me. I'm less convinced on the tome breaks get Levin sword since you'd be left without an Up B potentially. The only thing along those lines I could see working is break tome, summon new tome and get the Levin Sword as a bonus.

This is the part that confuses me the most. I had a theory that only the Thunder Tomes can actually break. This is because only the Thunder spells are shown to charge, only the Thunder tome is shown being tossed away and the Levin Sword does electric-element damage. So I thought that the Levin Sword would replace Robin's Thunder as the (tentative) neutral Special. We see him use the Levin Sword in two attacks, an overhead slam attack on the ground and an uppercut in the air (think of it like how Kirby's Hammer is slightly different when used in the air).

But the problem with this is that, as you said, we can see Robin wielding the Levin Sword with all 4 tome colours. The only way my theory could be correct is if after the Thunder tome breaks and Robin gets the Levin Sword, either A. He can regain the Thunder Tome without losing a stock, or B. He continues to hold the Thunder tome, regardless of it becoming unusable. Both sound unlikely.
This isn't that hard to explain, we havent seen him use it with all 4 tomes in one clip. Thats the big thing, it means we don't know if he actually had access to every tome.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Well, maybe it is just Arc Wind on the ground? That works.

I did some research on the usage (Maximum Usage before Tome Breaks) of the spells used in the video:

Do you think think any of this will come into play?
That would he awesome if it does. Thanks for looking that up. It makes sense if it was something like this. The Levin Sword looked very powerful, so I doubt it is something Robin will have the majority of battle.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

But the problem with this is that, as you said, we can see Robin wielding the Levin Sword with all 4 tome colours. The only way my theory could be correct is if after the Thunder tome breaks and Robin gets the Levin Sword, either A. He can regain the Thunder Tome without losing a stock, or B. He continues to hold the Thunder tome, regardless of it becoming unusable. The latter sounds unlikely, thanks to the clip of Robin ditching his Thunder tome.
I think that whenever you break a tome, when you use it again you will pull out the Levin Sword. That explains why he is seen with all 4 tomes, because he broke a different one to get the Levin Sword.

I've changed my main idea. Each of the magic moves (Like his Jab Fire Magic) have a limit. So once you use that limit up, you will throw that particular Tome away. So when you do the Jab combo 45 times, you cannot do the Fire part of it any more. I also think that the Levin Sword breaks, because it seems way to powerful. So after you hit the enemy 25 times with it, it will break for good and you go back to the bronze sword.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

But the problem with this is that, as you said, we can see Robin wielding the Levin Sword with all 4 tome colours. The only way my theory could be correct is if after the Thunder tome breaks and Robin gets the Levin Sword, either A. He can regain the Thunder Tome without losing a stock, or B. He continues to hold the Thunder tome, regardless of it becoming unusable. The latter sounds unlikely, thanks to the clip of Robin ditching his Thunder tome.
When Robin said he can lose his tomes, I just assumed it meant ANY tome. And likewise, I don't see anything suggesting that Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder can be switched mid-battle or be charged into one another. Its a series of breaks between each one and I don't see anything that shows the symbols changing mid-battle (the symbols changing when the custom moveset is changed makes perfect sense, though).

Hopefully Sakurai clarifies this week on that.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
:) Plenty of folks dropped in to support Robin way back when. Even if you did not frequent the thread, I still remember you. Whether you were here from the start, dropped in once, frequented the thread, or are just here now, I am as equally as thankful for you as anyone else. Hong-senpai always notices you.

I'm impressed with the number of people who just joined SmashBoards because they liked the support thread, though.
Couldn't have said it better, my luv!

Every bit of support is well appreciated, even from those I like to call 'Morgans', who came in here after the reveal! Y'know what they say: Last, but not least!
Fun fact: 'Morgan' is phoneticly very close to the German word 'Morgen' which means 'morning' or 'tomorrow'.

Neo Zero

I think that whenever you break a tome, when you use it again you will pull out the Levin Sword. That explains why he is seen with all 4 tomes, because he broke a different one to get the Levin Sword.

I've changed my main idea. Each of the magic moves (Like his Jab Fire Magic) have a limit. So once you use that limit up, you will throw that particular Tome away. So when you do the Jab combo 45 times, you cannot do the Fire part of it any more. I also think that the Levin Sword breaks, because it seems way to powerful. So after you hit the enemy 25 times with it, it will break for good and you go back to the bronze sword.
I don't know about this. I mean if it resets on death, you'd probably never break anything really outside of Thunder. I also think all the tome colors are universally linkes. Different moves might increase the "usage" of it though, like how I described his Neutral B. Thunder is 1 durability, El Thunder is 2, Arc Thunder is 3 and Thoron is 5 or something like that. I also imagine the uses will be a lot lower, maybe only going up to about 20 total (which I would imagine being wind)

And I certainly concede its possible, it still bugs me the thought of the Levin Sword replacing his recovery period.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Could the Levin Sword simply appear automatically? After using a lot of spells, it just pops up?

Or what if the Levin Sword has nothing to do with the tomes? Maybe the Bronze Sword has so many hits until it breaks, then it's Levin Sword time, and Levin Sword will have fewer hits unti it breaks and Bronze Sword returns.

I'm lost, confused, and frustrated with Robin's moveset.

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
When Robin said he can lose his tomes, I just assumed it meant ANY tome. And likewise, I don't see anything suggesting that Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder can be switched mid-battle or be charged into one another. Its a series of breaks between each one and I don't see anything that shows the symbols changing mid-battle (the symbols changing when the custom moveset is changed makes perfect sense, though).

I think that thunder/elthunder/arcthunder/thoron are chargeable, unless Robin gets four costume move choices for the same slot.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
My idea for how the Tome system will work:

All-and I mean all, moves that use a Tome have a limit. This includes his Jab Combo and all of his Specials. The usage will be the exact same as it is in FE:A, and I have them listed below.

Arcwind (Grounded wind Move): 30

Fire (Jab Combo): 45

The only exception is the Bronze Sword, which will probably never break or Robin would have no normals.

So as an example, if I use the Jab Combo 45 times, the fire portion of it will stop working. Since you throw the tome away. However, it is a bit different for Special Moves. You still throw the tome away, and you cannot use it ever again. Once you try to use that special move again, you can pull out your Levin Sword. The Levin Sword itself has a durability, and it will probably be able to break.

You can only have one Levin Sword, so once you break it, it is also gone. You may be able to swap between the Bronze Sword and the LS at will by pushing the special move button again, to save it when you need it most.

I don't know about this. I mean if it resets on death, you'd probably never break anything really outside of Thunder. I also think all the tome colors are universally linkes. Different moves might increase the "usage" of it though, like how I described his Neutral B. Thunder is 1 durability, El Thunder is 2, Arc Thunder is 3 and Thoron is 5 or something like that. I also imagine the uses will be a lot lower, maybe only going up to about 20 total (which I would imagine being wind)

And I certainly concede its possible, it still bugs me the thought of the Levin Sword replacing his recovery period.
I don't think it would reset on death, but on match. So you will always have a limited supply of tomes throughout the whole match.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

You're going to make me screencap the video, aren't you? You realize this is gonna take me, like, 10 minutes to cap and upload and post all those? Sheesh...

Pull up the reveal trailer on Youtube. Go to 1:25. You will see Robin charging his Thunder spell. Watch the book. The symbol on the book changes and matches (exactly) the symbols for the various thunder spells in Awakening. Thus, my theory above.

Neo Zero

Could the Levin Sword simply appear automatically? After using a lot of spells, it just pops up?

Or what if the Levin Sword has nothing to do with the tomes? Maybe the Bronze Sword has so many hits until it breaks, then it's Levin Sword time, and Levin Sword will have fewer hits unti it breaks and Bronze Sword returns.

The wording of the trailer implies it should be linked to the tomes. Maybe there's a translation error? Can anyone watch the Japanese trailer and tell us what it says when Robin brings out the Levin Sword in that?

You're going to make me screencap the video, aren't you? You realize this is gonna take me, like, 10 minutes to cap and upload and post all those? Sheesh...

Pull up the reveal trailer on Youtube. Go to 1:25. You will see Robin charging his Thunder spell. Watch the book. The symbol on the book changes and matches (exactly) the symbols for the various thunder spells in Awakening. Thus, my theory above.
Earlier in the thread I did this screencap for you. Just go grab it on Page....2 or 3 I think

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The wording of the trailer implies it should be linked to the tomes. Maybe there's a translation error? Can anyone watch the Japanese trailer and tell us what it says when Robin brings out the Levin Sword in that?
The wording was "I can only use my Tomes so much, that's why I brought my Levin Sword!", that implies to me that when you run out of a tome you can use the Levin Sword. That matches my theory above.

Hong

The Strongest
A shame that is not a grounded Elwind, if it isn't. Would be a great OOS.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya

I am ashamed to say that I lurked around more than anything and to be honest, the Robin supporter's strength gave me hope, which is why I came back to read the messages in the main thread. To keep going in face of such adversity is admirable and while I desperately wanted to post and be a part of it, I could not muster the courage. I wanted Robin in, but I did not feel hir chances were enough to warrant me getting hyped up. I'm working on making up for lost time now. <33

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Robin's durability will have FAR LESS durability in the actual game, so its very easy for his items to break. That's the only way to balance it out. After some time Robin's items can be recharged or he can summon a new one, perhaps.

Tomes that attack more with less damage will have higher durability, though, so they'll last longer.

Also, one thought I have is that, the tomes are based on specials, but when you use the special, Robin keeps the same tome. Any of Robin's magic-based standards switch to that element.

Robin is the most complicated character to date! Sakurai's got a lot of explaining to do.

I think that thunder/elthunder/arcthunder/thoron are chargeable, unless Robin gets four costume move choices for the same slot.
You're missing the point. Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder are custom moveset. Each one is more powerful than the previous, but are slower and the more powerful it is, the less durability it has. Any of them can also be charged into Thoron. Thoron is the only one seen actually being charged.

Yes. The only time Robin is actually shown charging before releasing an attack is Thoron. None of the others are charged before attacking.

Neo Zero

The wording was "I can only use my Tomes so much, that's why I brought my Levin Sword!", that implies to me that when you run out of a tome you can use the Levin Sword. That matches my theory above.
which is why Im asking for the quote in Japanese. Sometimes the English trailers adds/twists dialogue. I want the original line from the original script.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I apologize in advance for not reading this thread's previous pages. But here's something I noticed during Robin's use of Arcfire:

Looks familiar, doesn't it? I dunno, I like a reference to the GBA FE games being placed here.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I think Robin's durability will have FAR LESS durability in the actual game, so its very easy for his items to break. That's the only way to balance it out. After some time Robin's items can be recharged or he can summon a new one, perhaps.

Tomes that attack more with less damage will have higher durability, though, so they'll last longer.

Also, one thought I have is that, the tomes are based on specials, but when you use the special, Robin keeps the same tome. Any of Robin's magic-based standards switch to that element.

Robin is the most complicated character to date! Sakurai's got a lot of explaining to do.

You're missing the point. Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder are custom moveset. Each one is more powerful than the previous, but are slower and the more powerful it is, the less durability it has. Any of them can also be charged into Thoron. Thoron is the only one seen actually being charged.

Yes. The only time Robin is actually shown charging before releasing an attack is Thoron. None of the others are charged before attacking.
I have to disagree with you on the Thunder. That is clearly a charged move, and I'm positive you are able to save a charge similar to Samus or Dankey Kang. Also I believe the Durability will be the same, but it will last out the whole match, and not just until you die.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

No kidding.

Perhaps you charge it to the desired level, and then store it. You know, exactly like how Samus, Lucario, Mewtwo and others use their neutral specials? Mmmmmperhaps?

simpleglitch

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1907-8424-2856
Sorry about that, I missed your post on the previous page where you mentioned charging to Thoron (I had assumed Thoron slipped your mind).

Though I do think it would be a bit miss leading on Nintendo's part if they don't all charge into each other.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
No kidding.

Perhaps you charge it to the desired level, and then store it. You know, exactly like how Samus, Lucario, Mewtwo and others use their neutral specials? Mmmmmperhaps?
I agree. I'm positive it isn't Custom Move tomfoolery. You can see when Robin is charging that his book changes though the different thunder spells.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Fine, we'll see. Not sure how the custom movesets will work in that case, though. Unless it involves switching the types of tomes around (with Nosferatu being replaced by other Dark Magic, or Light magic if they reference other games).

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
When Robin said he can lose his tomes, I just assumed it meant ANY tome.
I assumed it meant any tome as well, until I mulled over the details for a while. Also there's this:
Would it really make sense for Robin to lose his recovery? It's possible, but I can't see it happening. My theory covers this issue.
And likewise, I don't see anything suggesting that Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder can be switched mid-battle or be charged into one another. Its a series of breaks between each one and I don't see anything that shows the symbols changing mid-battle (the symbols changing when the custom moveset is changed makes perfect sense, though).

Here is the charging animation in glorious 60fps (stupid huge filesize). If you look closely, you can definitely see two other symbols. One is this:
throon.png

And the other is this:
thundurr.png

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229

Watch as the symbol on the tome magically changes mid-battle.

@ Aninymouse Aninymouse I'm seriously going to put this in my signature.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Back on topic-- Tomes are the most important part of Robin's moveset. Those clearly consist of most of his/her Special Moves.

Neutral B in the Trailer were clearly Thunder -> Elthunder -> Arcthunder -> Thoron.
Side B apparently is Arcfire.
Up B or Down B could be Elwind.
Down B is most likely Nosferatu.

Either it's that, or his/her tomes mostly consist of his/her Neutral B attack. Gosh this is why I was so eager for Robin, his/her moveset potential is so high, and the Smash Bros team did justice to him/her.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I assumed it meant any tome as well, until I mulled over the details for a while. Also there's this:

Would it really make sense for Robin to lose his recovery? It's possible, but I can't see it happening. My theory covers this issue.
[quote="JaidynReiman, post: 17080418, member: 250262]And likewise, I don't see anything suggesting that Thunder/Elthunder/Arcthunder can be switched mid-battle or be charged into one another. Its a series of breaks between each one and I don't see anything that shows the symbols changing mid-battle (the symbols changing when the custom moveset is changed makes perfect sense, though).

Here is the charging animation in glorious 60fps (stupid huge filesize). If you look closely, you can definitely see two other symbols. One is this:
View attachment 18337
And the other is this:
View attachment 18338[/quote]

That is what I was talking about.

I would assume with my theory, each of the versions of thunder have their own dependent usage instead of all of it being grouped into one.

Top Bottom