• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
I only lost 1 character on my first FE7 play through. Unfortunately, it was my second most used character (Guy), and had to sacrifice him to the final boss to prevent said boss from eating Eliwood or Lyn, since I had horribly neglected them to the point that they couldn't touch said final boss.
See, here's the thing. All main characters in Fire Emblem have the potential within them to be utterly broken. Even Eliwood and Lyn. So, you really shouldn't have neglected them. Sure, the only other example of this within a TRPG that I can think of is Laharl, but I haven't played that many TRPGs to begin with. There are probably a lot more.

If you really want a tough go of it, try FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War). Nothing quite like a map about 3 times longer (in dimensions) than anything in Awakening with a "capture the castle" win condition, with choke points consisting of archers and airborne units descending on you. And there was a recruitable enemy you had to be careful not to kill (though if I recall, he was with another squad not en route to the enemy castle, so you had to divert part of your team that way). And to top it off? Once you captured the castle, a massive swarm of enemy reinforcements showed up on the other side of the map where your base was, and you had to defend your base from being taken while routing the enemy.

Oh, and that's Chapter 3 (details may be slightly off as it's been many years since I played it).
Honestly, I've never played Geneaology, but I've heard Thracia is absolutely brutal.

Morbi

Scavenger
See, here's the thing. All main characters in Fire Emblem have the potential within them to be utterly broken. Even Eliwood and Lyn. So, you really shouldn't have neglected them. Sure, the only other example of this within a TRPG that I can think of is Laharl, but I haven't played that many TRPGs to begin with. There are probably a lot more.

Honestly, I've never played Geneaology, but I've heard Thracia is absolutely brutal.
Maybe he neglected them because they had the potential to become completely and utterly broken?

To be fair this topic grew a lot since Ike was revealed. It's hard to keep track of who came after the reveal and who came leading up to it to give their support. I would still call the massive influx of supporters following Ike fair-weather, though.
I agree with that, I was not necessarily referring to Ike's reveal though. It is not like I was the most consistent Robin supporter either, I just popped in and out occasionally until I had a reason to stay which occurred sometime after the April Direct, once I realized that "Id Purpose" was her theme. Haha.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
See, here's the thing. All main characters in Fire Emblem have the potential within them to be utterly broken. Even Eliwood and Lyn. So, you really shouldn't have neglected them.
Well, obviously. But we were talking about our first play throughs ever. I didn't even know they'd end up auto-promoting until it blind sided me. Ever since then, I put full attention into the Lord(s) to ensure, whenever an auto-promotion occurs, they wouldn't be left with untapped potential.

Maybe he neglected them because they had the potential to become completely and utterly broken?
Nah, just didn't know better at the time. Wasn't using any guides or anything so didn't know what would happen when.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
If nothing else, I'd like to see his Grandmaster outfit make it in as in Alt.
For some reason, I envision the Grandmaster outfit as more of a palette/texture swap. It seems very similar, for the most part, they could just add some metallic effects here and there.

It is just that when I speculate about a costume for Robin, it makes me wonder if Wii Fit or Villager would have something similar. I cannot help but feel as though Female Robin IS the costume even though Hooded Robin would be great. The precedent of Little Mac makes it seem more likely.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It is not fun for me. I am utterly pretentious, but it bothers me seeing them crawl to us AFTER Robin has been revealed. It is almost as though they support her just because she is in the game.
I don't think that's entirely true, or fair. I always thought Robin was a much better character choice because, to be perfectly blunt, I'm not blind, and wanted some variety. It was an idea I thought was one of the absolute coolest if it got pulled off. However, I could never wrap my head around Sakurai actually doing something that unique, and figured he'd go for Chrom if we got an Awakening rep because easy. It's not like I didn't like or support Chrom, but always longed for something a bit more obviously imaginative, and I've said so in the past.

I'm certainly glad I was wrong, but I'm not crawling anywhere. I'm celebrating with everyone else.

D

Deleted member

Hooded Robin, Grima and Grandmaster, I'm happy with any of them, Grima especially because of villains, and Grandmaster because I love the advanced classes

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't think that's entirely true, or fair. I always thought Robin was a much better character choice because, to be perfectly blunt, I'm not blind, and wanted some variety. It was an idea I thought was one of the absolute coolest if it got pulled off. However, I could never wrap my head around Sakurai actually doing something that unique, and figured he'd go for Chrom if we got an Awakening rep because easy. It's not like I didn't like or support Chrom, but always longed for something a bit more obviously imaginative, and I've said so in the past.

I'm certainly glad I was wrong, but I'm not crawling anywhere. I'm celebrating with everyone else.
I did not mean to offend you or anyone else, I just mean that a lot of people in the Robin thread had their doubts as well, but we were still there to discuss Robin because we were interested in her character and aware of the possibility. It is just odd seeing these new faces that never even bothered to discuss Robin in any vein other than, "she is better than Chrom."

It is just my opinion, do not take it to heart. I did the same thing with Greninja because I did not realize that I wanted him, so I never bothered to actually discuss him prior to his reveal.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hooded Robin, Grima and Grandmaster, I'm happy with any of them, Grima especially because of villains, and Grandmaster because I love the advanced classes
What about Hooded-Grandmaster-Grima Robin? The best of all?!

Grandmaster is actually my least favorite, I must confess. Sometimes, I decide to not promote Robin because I do not want her beautiful cloak to be altered.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I never had any doubt in Robin.

I found Chrom to be super unlikely with Robin to be the far more likely one.

And no. I don't even care for Robin all that much as a character. If I had my way Black Knight would be a new FE character for Smash lol.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well, the Robin hype train won't stop for quite some time still, and all kinds of people are happily celebrating the defeat of the great, dark shadow that was gematsu.

replace Luke with Robin and force ghosts with Chrom

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
To be fair this topic grew a lot since Ike was revealed. It's hard to keep track of who came after the reveal and who came leading up to it to give their support. I would still call the massive influx of supporters following Ike fair-weather, though.
Hey, I was around before the reveal. I just got inactive for a few weeks and sometimes I forget to post in threads

*shrugs*

Just saying.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I visited the thread very infrequently, due to not having played Awakening. But still supported him based on what I saw of the game from LP's and other sources.

Morbi

Scavenger
Is the thunder tome the only one that gets progressively stronger (thunder, elthunder, arcthunder, and thoron)? We see arcfire and elwind, but no other variations are actually asserted. He obviously has a different wind attack, but it is not named.

I also noticed that we only ever see "arcthunder" and "arcfire" together in the same match. The other aspects of the trailer are on different stages. It might be that we can only use "elthunder" or "arcthunder" as move-set customization. This does not make much sense as there are four spells but only three slots. Or it is because you need to have a certain charge (as seen before he shows off all of the different variations of thunder). Perhaps similar spells are actually mapped differently?

I am not sure, it was my first attempt to analyze his move-set.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well i joined SmashBoards almost exclusively to support Robin, but i'm not nearly as active, and i guess i did start to lose hope for her after e3, but she was still my most wanted newcomer nonetheless.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I have a question pertaining to the UTilt .gif in the OP. If you watch closely, a few frames before the attack, Robin is swinging his sword, almost as if it were a jab attack. Perhaps the wind magic attack shown there is not his UTilt.

Think of Pit it Brawl: if you tapped A three times, Pit would simply attack with his weapon three times in a standard jab combo. However, if you kept pressing A repeatedly, Pit would go into an infinite flurry of attacks instead of a regular third hit.
This could be the same for Robin. By pressing AAA, Robin will hit twice with the sword, then one time with a burst of fire magic as shown to be his standard jab combo. However, by repeatedly tapping A, Robin might swing twice with the sword, then unleash a flurry of wind magic, ending with a final strike of wind as seen in the .gif. It looks like it could be part of a jab combo.

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
As a tactician, I feel like yelling Robin quotes and yelling out the spells when using them are going to be effective as mindgames on some opponents. Especially if you're already winning.

If you sense a little salt, just tell them "It's going to be alright" :troll:

On another note, I was thinking of how the Ignis skill could be implemented if some of the tome's durability was sacrificed to add more damage and knockback to Robin's moves involving the sword. But I came to the conclusion that it could/would complicate things even more :p
I think I said before that IF you do get access to the levin sword after a tome breaks AND you CAN manually sacrifice tomes (it really does look like you can) then sacrificing more tomes, would in theory make your Levin sword stronger/last longer.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is the thunder tome the only one that gets progressively stronger (thunder, elthunder, arcthunder, and thoron)? We see arcfire and elwind, but no other variations are actually asserted. He obviously has a different wind attack, but it is not named.

I also noticed that we only ever see "arcthunder" and "arcfire" together in the same match. The other aspects of the trailer are on different stages. It might be that we can only use "elthunder" or "arcthunder" as move-set customization. This does not make much sense as there are four spells but only three slots. Or it is because you need to have a certain charge (as seen before he shows off all of the different variations of thunder). Perhaps similar spells are actually mapped differently?

Well, I've brought this up a few times, but I think GameExplain figured it out.

Normal, El, and Arc are the custom moveset options. When Robin uses the thunder spells, the animation is different, but he never charges up the different spells. When using Thoron, Robin does charge it up. So, I think Thoron is used by charging the thunder magic, but the base spell is the custom moveset option.

Another theory is that, the "base" spell are the ones shown in the trailer. Wind and Fire only have one version each; Elwind and Arcfire. So my guess is "Thunder" is the base Thunder magic, but again, the other tiers of spells are custom movesets.

DuelZephion

Smash Rookie
On the idea of having a chargeable and storable thunder special:

The only flaw I see in this theory is that Robin used el and arc thunder without charging beforehand. Yes, he could have had a stored charge, but for other characters that can store charges like Samus and Lucario, if you store a charge that isn't a full charge, pressing the input will make you continue charging, then you must press it again to fire.

Unless after storing the thunder charge, he cannot continue charging it, and must fire it instead, like how sheik's needles worked in Melee.

D

Deleted member

What about Hooded-Grandmaster-Grima Robin? The best of all?!

Grandmaster is actually my least favorite, I must confess. Sometimes, I decide to not promote Robin because I do not want her beautiful cloak to be altered.
I actually disliked how both Robin and Chrom's default 3D model outfit looked in Awakening, but seeing what Sakurai did, I bet Grandmaster would look gorgeous

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I think GameXplain's approach seems likely, however i think that the "ultimate" spells might actually consume the usage of the books way faster, like maybe you get 10 shots with a regular Elthunder, but only 2 if you charge a Thoron.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, I've brought this up a few times, but I think GameExplain figured it out.

Normal, El, and Arc are the custom moveset options. When Robin uses the thunder spells, the animation is different, but he never charges up the different spells. When using Thoron, Robin does charge it up. So, I think Thoron is used by charging the thunder magic, but the base spell is the custom moveset option.

Another theory is that, the "base" spell are the ones shown in the trailer. Wind and Fire only have one version each; Elwind and Arcfire. So my guess is "Thunder" is the base Thunder magic, but again, the other tiers of spells are custom movesets.
Thank you for the clarification. The first theory makes sense, I suppose the second one does as well because we have yet to see any other significant variation of those moves.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice

It looks like his moves are mapped to:

:GCB: is Thunder which is the only spell we've seen charging. can go from thunder to el thunder to arch thunder to thoron, can be stored for later use much like samus' charge shot

:GCR::GCB: is ARCHfire, not any other variation. there is no evidence to prove it can be charged as we only see one variation of the attack it seems to function like Ness' PKF

:GCU::GCB: Looks to be EL wind. and not any other variation as we don't see any other levels of charge. propels you up whiole sending wind slashes down

:GCD::GCB: looks like a command grab that heals you

It's technically possible that the other variations of thunder are mapped to different custom specials but also VERY unlikely because they're each progressively stronger than the others, custom special moves are supposed to have their own benefits as well as their own drawbacks so that they are technically equal. It seems like the higher variations of thunder are ONLY better than the previous variations.

I have a question pertaining to the UTilt .gif in the OP. If you watch closely, a few frames before the attack, Robin is swinging his sword, almost as if it were a jab attack. Perhaps the wind magic attack shown there is not his UTilt.

Think of Pit it Brawl: if you tapped A three times, Pit would simply attack with his weapon three times in a standard jab combo. However, if you kept pressing A repeatedly, Pit would go into an infinite flurry of attacks instead of a regular third hit.
This could be the same for Robin. By pressing AAA, Robin will hit twice with the sword, then one time with a burst of fire magic as shown to be his standard jab combo. However, by repeatedly tapping A, Robin might swing twice with the sword, then unleash a flurry of wind magic, ending with a final strike of wind as seen in the .gif. It looks like it could be part of a jab combo.
That's an interesting theory. One that nobody else has come up with, good job. What we've thought more of is that is not an Utilt and that it's more of a special jab depending on the tome you currently have equipped, so in other words whatever spell you used last would determine your jab. Your idea makes A LOT more sense, though.

On the idea of having a chargeable and storable thunder special:

The only flaw I see in this theory is that Robin used el and arc thunder without charging beforehand. Yes, he could have had a stored charge, but for other characters that can store charges like Samus and Lucario, if you store a charge that isn't a full charge, pressing the input will make you continue charging, then you must press it again to fire.

Unless after storing the thunder charge, he cannot continue charging it, and must fire it instead, like how sheik's needles worked in Melee.
I've heard from some people that if you double tap B when you stored an incomplete charge it would fire the current charge, that would account for the weirdish flash we see before female robin casts thunder, like she would start charging but she chose to opt out and instead just shoot her current level of charge.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil

Personally, that's what I had in mind. The jab combo doesn't necessarily mean that Robin would have to strike every hit with the sword. In addition, the final swipe (finisher) of the move is back to the sword following the wind cutters. Doubt Robin could transition from his Jab to U-Tilt so quickly. I believe I'll edit the OP if more people feel the same.

I think I said before that IF you do get access to the levin sword after a tome breaks AND you CAN manually sacrifice tomes (it really does look like you can) then sacrificing more tomes, would in theory make your Levin sword stronger/last longer.
Yeah, I'd agree with that as a way of incorporating Ignis. According to what I had mentioned, what you brought up would indeed sacrifice the durability of the tome (in a sense) and would add to the Levin Sword's utility. Hmmm, may incorporate a possible theory regarding "Ignis" in the OP...Appreciate the feedback.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'd agree with that as a way of incorporating Ignis. According to what I had mentioned, what you brought up would indeed sacrifice the durability of the tome (in a sense) and would add to the Levin Sword's utility. Hmmm, may incorporate a possible theory regarding "Ignis" in the OP...Appreciate the feedback.
Plus a whole new Mechanic available to Robin.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It's technically possible that the other variations of thunder are mapped to different custom specials but also VERY unlikely because they're each progressively stronger than the others, custom special moves are supposed to have their own benefits as well as their own drawbacks so that they are technically equal. It seems like the higher variations of thunder are ONLY better than the previous variations.
I disagree with this. The other thunder spells are stronger but a bit slower with more lag, and another possibility is, like in Fire Emblem, the higher level tomes have less durability, or perhaps in this case, the durability is a set amount but the spell used exhausts more durability.

There is nothing to suggest that Thunder can be charged into Elthunder or Arcthunder, they appear to be used immediately, the only one that appears to have a charge is Thoron.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, a new mechanic, plus it would reference his signature skill from the Grandmaster class.
Personally I prefer the air Haven't ever played FE but this character still looks siick.

I disagree with this. The other thunder spells are stronger but a bit slower with more lag, and another possibility is, like in Fire Emblem, the higher level tomes have less durability, or perhaps in this case, the durability is a set amount but the spell used exhausts more durability.

There is nothing to suggest that Thunder can be charged into Elthunder or Arcthunder, they appear to be used immediately, the only one that appears to have a charge is Thoron.
they all look slower but not slow enough to deserve the kind of power they have, IMO Mario's strong fireball is so slow you could just crawl away from it, not the case with el thunder/ archthunder. I guess we will have to see. It is a good theory.

EDIT: plus that would mean el thunder is the standard special. Looks to strong to JUST be a neut b, are there any other neut b's that compare with what we see and DON'T require a charge? that would certainly justify this idea.

Last edited:

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Personally I prefer the air Haven't ever played FE but this character still looks siick.
You haven't? Get it now. I mean, like, seriously, get up from your computer right now, drive to your local GameStop and buy it, lol. Your life has an empty hole in it right now that may only be filled by the glory of Fire Emblem.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
You haven't? Get it now. I mean, like, seriously, get up from your computer right now, drive to your local GameStop and buy it, lol. Your life has an empty hole in it right now that may only be filled by the glory of Fire Emblem.
lol which one though? I don't wanna start late in the series.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
lol which one though? I don't wanna start late in the series.
Well, that's a difficult question for me. xP My first game was Awakening, which is the most recent one, so I can't really answer that for you. But if you want to play the game that Lucina and Robin are in, then Awakening is the only one.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
I'm surprised. I recently made my account since the 3DS version of smash was coming and I could finally play. So I posted int his topic stating I thought it would be cool to see Robin after the reveal of Ike nearly shot down the idea of Chrom being in the game to replace him. I Squealed like a little girl when both Lucina and Robin were announced. So cool to see some fire emblem magic worked into the smash brothers game. Robin is definitely going to be on my play list.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

they all look slower but not slow enough to deserve the kind of power they have, IMO Mario's strong fireball is so slow you could just crawl away from it, not the case with el thunder/ archthunder. I guess we will have to see. It is a good theory.

EDIT: plus that would mean el thunder is the standard special. Looks to strong to JUST be a neut b, are there any other neut b's that compare with what we see and DON'T require a charge? that would certainly justify this idea.
Again, durability. You keep missing durability. Robin's attacks can be quite strong, but durability helps balance things out. Use it too much, you lose your tome. Switch to a higher level tome as your base, you deal more damage but drain your durability faster.

Now, also keep in mind, Elwind is probably Robin's base recovery, and Arcfire is probably Robin's base side special, so it makes logical sense that Thunder would be the base standard special.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
I'm also terrible at actually being around, but I've supported Robin since Smash 4 was announced, so I'm just glad someone I was supporting did (was starting to think I was a bit of a bad omen for any character I thought would be cool to have in Smash haha).

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

Thunder is definitely charged into El Thunder, then Arc Thunder, then Thoron.

Watch the part of the video where Robin charges up with the yellow tome in hand. It starts with a lightning bolt that has ONE zigzag. Then, it changes into a lightning bolt with two zigzags for El Thunder. Next, it changes into the circle with a sun or star within for Arc Thunder. I'm pretty sure there will be one more symbol for Thoron.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
Again, durability. You keep missing durability. Robin's attacks can be quite strong, but durability helps balance things out. Use it too much, you lose your tome. Switch to a higher level tome as your base, you deal more damage but drain your durability faster.

Now, also keep in mind, Elwind is probably Robin's base recovery, and Arcfire is probably Robin's base side special, so it makes logical sense that Thunder would be the base standard special.
Honestly, I still don't see the durability thing as that big of a downside. pulling out a insanely powerful neut special whenever you want with no start lag is crazy. even if you do only get to use it 3 or 4 times a stock that's all you would need.

EDIT: nvm @ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle has cleared this up. and thanks, btw, I didn't notice the lightning bolt gained more zigzags, only the cross-hair looking thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom