• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Guys, stop saying that Chrom/Sumia is canon. I pair them together, but there is nothing stopping you from pairing them with literally anyone else. It's pushed, but it's not official. Chrom/Sully, Chrom/Maribbelle, Chrom/Female!Robin, and Chrom/Olivia (Even though it's my NOTP) are all viable alternatives.
Don't forget Chrom x Random Village Girl! :troll:

Normally I'd say we were getting off topic, but this is the thread for Nintendo's most prominent shipper...

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
With all this canon and shipping talk, it is almost like I am in a Persona 3/4 thread. :p

(I am not complaining, just commenting really)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Even though there are alternative partners, there usually is one that is canon, going by Fire Emblem 4 standards (and the "designated" canons of fire emblem 5). This goes by extra character conversations and whatnot, as well as usually different standards for relationship points going up (X + Y going up by 10 points by turn while another is 6). You may not have had Levin father Sety, but holy **** is it basically canon on multiple points (probably the best one being his name is the same as the wind god that originated the blood line; the second best being he's definitely Levin's son in Fire Emblem 5). You may not have paired up Roy with Lilina, but it was basically canon. etc etc.
FE4/5 is also further interesting in Fin's relationship status/cuckolding canon. He's the father of the daughter, while not of the son (as awkwardly implied in FE4 [that Lachesis ran off with someone when paired with Fin] and literally stated in FE5). Although obviously there's no way to replicate that in the game.

If there are a relatively large push in one character's way for being the love interest in Fire Emblem, they're generally permanently illustrated as such. Seeing as there is usually a sequel to each "World", they often give it to you straight~ Considering the popularity of the game, it's a matter of when than if.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
which saddens me because we already have Excalibur and Fimbulvetr is a much cooler name
I think they just wanted to go with the whole "rex" titling starting from Path of Radiance onwards. Heck, Excalibur doesn't even LOOK like Fimbulvetr, frankly, I'd rather they make Fimbulvetr a separate A rank (or S rank in games with SS) magic and have the highest rank be Rexcalibur (which looks like either a more powerful Excalibur or is Excalibur).

Either way, I do think Fimbulvetr is intended to be wind magic, even if it does incoporate ice into it as well.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
There's only one logical way to explain this.

Lucina and Chrom were fighting at Arena Ferox like normal but then captain falcon stepped in and wrecked Chrom.

Lucina fought against falcon and lost her mask which let her hair fall back like normal.

She said "For my father" but at this point chrom doesn't actually know that Lucina is his daughter.

Robin comes in and saves the day and we all got hype and what not.

With that being said, this is probably before they defeat gangriel and have the forced marriage.
Therefore, we don't know who the mother is.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Either way, I do think Fimbulvetr is intended to be wind magic, even if it does incoporate ice into it as well.
I mean honestly, I can see it. I remember what the animation looked like, it was swirling wind from which ice erupted. I just saw the blue book and assumed it was special. I also think the magic in the newer FE's are lacking in variety a bit.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I loved watching reaction videos and seeing how quite a few only knew who Chrom was and had no idea who Robin was. But, after watching the trailer they were all content with how he played. My sister thought it was awesome and she's never touched Fire Emblem in her life! Sakurai did what I was hoping for; pick the best choice, not the obvious one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I mean honestly, I can see it. I remember what the animation looked like, it was swirling wind from which ice erupted. I just saw the blue book and assumed it was special. I also think the magic in the newer FE's are lacking in variety a bit.
Well, it is special, its the highest level non-ultimate anima tome in the GBA games.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Setting aside some of the specific moveset bits, I noticed that we also get to see him dash briefly in the cut scene with Lucina doing a dolphin slash. (around 2:03). It looks to me as though is dashing speed is mediocre to slow. Between that and some of the lag after many of his attacks, and I suspect he is designed to reward players heavily for 'making the right move at the right time' so to speak. It's also noticeable that he has what looks to be a more useable stun move, strong melee and ranged attacks, and a healing attack. From this I suspect he's going to have a plethora of very strong options, but is limited by the number of usage of those options and more generically his speed. All of the things people think are specials look to have considerable ending lag.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Setting aside some of the specific moveset bits, I noticed that we also get to see him dash briefly in the cut scene with Lucina doing a dolphin slash. (around 2:03). It looks to me as though is dashing speed is mediocre to slow. Between that and some of the lag after many of his attacks, and I suspect he is designed to reward players heavily for 'making the right move at the right time' so to speak. It's also noticeable that he has what looks to be a more useable stun move, strong melee and ranged attacks, and a healing attack. From this I suspect he's going to have a plethora of very strong options, but is limited by the number of usage of those options and more generically his speed. All of the things people think are specials look to have considerable ending lag.
I definitely do see Robin as being a slow and floaty character. As a more magic-based character, Robin fits well and isn't as strong physically. Ike might get a boost in his running speed (which would fit due to his bulky build as muscles help you to run faster), which would mean that Robin is a very slow long-range attacking character. Which again, something COMPLETELY different from every FE character to date, as all FE characters have used entirely physical attacks.

I also like how Robin is the only FE character not to have Counter (unless Robin does have counter when using a sword).

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
One very small good thing about playing games like I do (in a game with a custom or name-able character, I will always leave them as the default) is that if a crossover like this DOES happen, I always get my own character. Yeah, I suppose it's boring to not mess with customization unless the character actually is a 100% blank slate like in an MMO, but I dunno I just do it that way, feels more right to me.
I get that with the male version, since it's one of the only two hair styles for the male I liked. Plus it has the hair color I like on him. Female I think I liked hair color #16 (the one that's kind of a platinum blonde).

Guys, stop saying that Chrom/Sumia is canon. I pair them together, but there is nothing stopping you from pairing them with literally anyone else. It's pushed, but it's not official. Chrom/Sully, Chrom/Maribbelle, Chrom/Female!Robin, and Chrom/Olivia (Even though it's my NOTP) are all viable alternatives.
This. It might be pushed, or "as canon as you can get", but it's still not canon. That's the point behind the game.

Plus I feel Sumia fits better with Henry. Their support conversations are amazingly adorable, and he totally explains Cynthia's... eccentricities.

If there are a relatively large push in one character's way for being the love interest in Fire Emblem, they're generally permanently illustrated as such. Seeing as there is usually a sequel to each "World", they often give it to you straight~ Considering the popularity of the game, it's a matter of when than if.
It's a priority thing, but not an actual advantage. If I recall, Olivia actually supersedes priority if no one has a C rank or above (out of his potential wives) and she got at least 3... whatever you want to call them, bond points or whatever, in Chapter 11.

Really, the only thing that you can say is 100% canon for Chrom's wife is that it will never be Cordelia.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It's so weird to come here instead of the main character discussion page.

Basically Sumia X Chrom was pushed, but not canon. I'm not sure if canon even exists in this game.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
I just hope we can have the hood up as a costume choice. That looked badass in the trailer.

And congrats to all Robin supporters! Wanted him myself, but kind of just figured Chrom had the spot.
Hood Robin seems like a safe bet. Not only was it used in the trailer, but Little Mac also has a hooded costume.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I just want to see their color swaps. I mean god, if there's a way to make that hood+robe even classier, I can't wait to see it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Basically Sumia X Chrom was pushed, but not canon. I'm not sure if canon even exists in this game.
Well in FE7, there really isn't any given push of a canon wife to Eliwood, although the path of the dragon waifu was pretty central to the plot of the game overall and was the only relationship to mention her passing away in the ending, which we know is the case of Roy's mother in FE6. Considering general dragon/swordy magic hijynx of FE6, you could kinda glimmer at the general intention of the dragon waifu.

If there is a sequel and it doesn't do something crazy with a data "transfer" (although there's like 100% chance there'd be a default route which would be seen as canon; unless they decided to make it a DLC sequel only available if you own the first game...), it may likely give some hints away to what is canon, but as I purported, in other games where it's made obvious, it's always the character option which had the best support rates, the extra conversations, plot relevance, etc.

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I have developed yet another theory, this time for the Levin Sword:

1.) Robin starts with the Bronze Sword.

2.) Once you ditch a tome after using it up, you can press the corresponding special move for that particular tome, and you'll get the Levin Sword.

3.) Levin Sword can only be used so much until breaking.

4.) After the Levin Sword breaks, you get the Bronze Sword back and you'll regain whatever tome you used up.

5.) The Circle of Life continues.

It's all just a theory.
Also, the only reason I connected Robin's tomes with gaining his Levin Sword is because during the video, Robin says, "I can only use them so many times, which is why I carry my Levin Sword!" This probably doesn't mean too much, but it was the basis of my theory.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
After playing a bit more through Awakening (just reached where you meet Tharja last night), I realized I'm STILL terrible at this game. I'm doing hard/casual (please don't crucify me for that) and more then half my army "dies" during every chapter. I don't get it, since I do no-death speed runs in Pikmin games, and even though Y is my first dive into the series, I almost instantly gained a knack for competitive Pokemon battling (breeding, team coordination, the whole nine yards).

One would think I could combine my prowess of both series to become an FE master, but apparently not...

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
since I do no-death speed runs in Pikmin games
This could be part of the problem. You're too used to speed running and don't take into consideration the placement and durability of characters, leading to their deaths? I assume the deaths occur on the opponent's turn, not your own (barring anything crazy like a 3% chance critical hitting you after you missed a 94% chance kill blow).

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
This could be part of the problem. You're too used to speed running and don't take into consideration the placement and durability of characters, leading to their deaths? I assume the deaths occur on the opponent's turn, not your own (barring anything crazy like a 3% chance critical hitting you after you missed a 94% chance kill blow).
I am admiringly very reckless, though it must be because I'm on Casual so it doesn't matter anyway (I was extremely careful during an easy/perma death playthrough). Pikmin are also easily replaceable even without no-death runs, and Pokemon don't die either unless doing a nuzlocke (which is where you release a fainted Pokemon instead of healing it). So I guess both games actually make things worse when I play an FE game.

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Well in FE7, there really isn't any given push of a canon wife to Eliwood, although the path of the dragon waifu was pretty central to the plot of the game overall and was the only relationship to mention her passing away in the ending, which we know is the case of Roy's mother in FE6. Considering general dragon/swordy magic hijynx of FE6, you could kinda glimmer at the general intention of the dragon waifu.

If there is a sequel and it doesn't do something crazy with a data "transfer" (although there's like 100% chance there'd be a default route which would be seen as canon; unless they decided to make it a DLC sequel only available if you own the first game...), it may likely give some hints away to what is canon, but as I purported, in other games where it's made obvious, it's always the character option which had the best support rates, the extra conversations, plot relevance, etc.
What makes a data transfer a bit more plausible is that Radiant Dawn did it. So, if it can be done, which considering extra data and all, it probably can, I can imagine characters in sequels starring any of the children featuring hair colors from their parents. The default would just be the hair colors from the official art.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
I definitely do see Robin as being a slow and floaty character. As a more magic-based character, Robin fits well and isn't as strong physically. Ike might get a boost in his running speed (which would fit due to his bulky build as muscles help you to run faster), which would mean that Robin is a very slow long-range attacking character. Which again, something COMPLETELY different from every FE character to date, as all FE characters have used entirely physical attacks.

I also like how Robin is the only FE character not to have Counter (unless Robin does have counter when using a sword).
I doubt it, I really can't see him using a counter. I feel like part of his fighting style is that cleverness and tactics will need to cover a weakness of defensive options. After all, his dodge roll does not take him very far and his run is somewhat slow. He's also a tall character when compared to many of the others, and it doesn't look like he uses an increased length in hit box from his sword to nearly the same degree Marth/Ike/Lucina do. In particular, the 1v1 footage of him versus captain falcon show that his sword range is barely larger than an average character's range without a sword. I think his spacing game is going to be very different, and close combat might be somewhat tricky, esp. while he has the bronze sword equipped.

I suspect Robin is going to be a very different character from most of the rest of the roster, let alone among the FE characters. It certainly does silence anyone claiming FE is one-note though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I doubt it, I really can't see him using a counter. I feel like part of his fighting style is that cleverness and tactics will need to cover a weakness of defensive options. After all, his dodge roll does not take him very far and his run is somewhat slow. He's also a tall character when compared to many of the others, and it doesn't look like he uses an increased length in hit box from his sword to nearly the same degree Marth/Ike/Lucina do. In particular, the 1v1 footage of him versus captain falcon show that his sword range is barely larger than an average character's range without a sword. I think his spacing game is going to be very different, and close combat might be somewhat tricky, esp. while he has the bronze sword equipped.

I suspect Robin is going to be a very different character from most of the rest of the roster, let alone among the FE characters. It certainly does silence anyone claiming FE is one-note though.
Yeah, agreed, the sword appears to be stronger but has very short range. The magic makes Robin a very long range fighter who has to carefully balance durability of different special attacks. Its also very similar to the fact that Ice Climbers take a serious nerf when you lose the second one, the same happens when Robin exhausts his tomes. (Btw, I didn't REALLY think Robin had Counter, I was just throwing it out there; Robin's the only FE user to not have counter unless he can use counter as part of the sword moveset, which is unlikely.)

M@v

Subarashii!
Going to be so tempted to yell "TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!" in tournament as I'm landing a hard read or a KO move.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
It's fun to see all the Robin supporters who loved the character but thought Chrom was more likely... the scales have been tipped. :)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Going to be so tempted to yell "TIME TO TIP THE SCALES!" in tournament as I'm landing a hard read or a KO move.
As a tactician, I feel like yelling Robin quotes and yelling out the spells when using them are going to be effective as mindgames on some opponents. Especially if you're already winning.

If you sense a little salt, just tell them "It's going to be alright" :troll:

On another note, I was thinking of how the Ignis skill could be implemented if some of the tome's durability was sacrificed to add more damage and knockback to Robin's moves involving the sword. But I came to the conclusion that it could/would complicate things even more :p

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
After playing a bit more through Awakening (just reached where you meet Tharja last night), I realized I'm STILL terrible at this game. I'm doing hard/casual (please don't crucify me for that) and more then half my army "dies" during every chapter. I don't get it, since I do no-death speed runs in Pikmin games, and even though Y is my first dive into the series, I almost instantly gained a knack for competitive Pokemon battling (breeding, team coordination, the whole nine yards).

One would think I could combine my prowess of both series to become an FE master, but apparently not...
This game is actually fairly easy, at least compared to the previous FE game. (Radiant Dawn was brutal.) Just pay attention to character placement in regard to enemy movement. Enemy reinforcements can kill you because this game's levels aren't designed all that well, the real challenge in this game is surviving swarming reinforcements. All you really have to do for that is remember where they come from and when and prepare. Be sure to use Dual Support as that is extremely helpful (especially when near death). Abusing Dual Support can be vital with frailer units and units with poor mobility.

Part of me wonders if Sakurai asked Monolith Soft to tweet to catch everyone off guard. Seems like something he would do.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I think everyone sucks when they play Fire Emblem for the first time. Or at least a tactical RPG for the first time.

My first FE game was Shadow Dragon on Normal mode. Boy I sucked at it. I was so bad that my whole party pretty much consisted of under-leveled faceless units. And I abused Jeigan, much to my punishment later. It was so bad that it got to the point to where I couldn't get beat a map with none of the units. So I had to restart the whole. I did infinitely better that time around as I would restart the chapters when someone died.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
actually no. if he wasn't robin final smash, i'd have hope for DLc chrom, at the very least.
Even if you had that "hope," it obviously would not actualize into anything relevant. It is actually a good thing that you definitively know whether or not Chrom is in the game and to what extent. Not everyone has that luxury.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's fun to see all the Robin supporters who loved the character but thought Chrom was more likely... the scales have been tipped. :)
It is not fun for me. I am utterly pretentious, but it bothers me seeing them crawl to us AFTER Robin has been revealed. It is almost as though they support her just because she is in the game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
i hate it.

i had to see my most wanted be treated like ****, and them be deconfirmed in a way that says "don't even think of DLC, it's not happening".
I don't see why this says he can't be DLC. It's crazy to think that Chrom could be part of Robin's Final Smash and playable because Chrom would be fighting Chrom? You are aware you can have a match that is Marth Vs. Marth Vs. Marth Vs. Marth, correct? This game doesn't try to use such logic, so don't apply it where it doesn't belong.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
I think everyone sucks when they play Fire Emblem for the first time. Or at least a tactical RPG for the first time.
I only lost 1 character on my first FE7 play through. Unfortunately, it was my second most used character (Guy), and had to sacrifice him to the final boss to prevent said boss from eating Eliwood or Lyn, since I had horribly neglected them to the point that they couldn't touch said final boss.

If you really want a tough go of it, try FE4 (Genealogy of the Holy War). Nothing quite like a map about 3 times longer (in dimensions) than anything in Awakening with a "capture the castle" win condition, with choke points consisting of archers and airborne units descending on you. And there was a recruitable enemy you had to be careful not to kill (though if I recall, he was with another squad not en route to the enemy castle, so you had to divert part of your team that way). And to top it off? Once you captured the castle, a massive swarm of enemy reinforcements showed up on the other side of the map where your base was, and you had to defend your base from being taken while routing the enemy.

Oh, and that's Chapter 3 (details may be slightly off as it's been many years since I played it).

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see why this says he can't be DLC. It's crazy to think that Chrom could be part of Robin's Final Smash and playable because Chrom would be fighting Chrom? You are aware you can have a match that is Marth Vs. Marth Vs. Marth Vs. Marth, correct? This game doesn't try to use such logic, so don't apply it where it doesn't belong.
Honestly, I feel as though it has more to do with Lucina selected over Chrom. Most people did not expect two Fire Emblem newcomers without DLC. Three Fire Emblem characters total in addition to the two veterans based on one's game success does not seem probable. However, it is certainly possible.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It is not fun for me. I am utterly pretentious, but it bothers me seeing them crawl to us AFTER Robin has been revealed. It is almost as though they support her just because she is in the game.
To be fair this topic grew a lot since Ike was revealed. It's hard to keep track of who came after the reveal and who came leading up to it to give their support. I would still call the massive influx of supporters following Ike fair-weather, though.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Honestly, I feel as though it has more to do with Lucina selected over Chrom. Most people did not expect two Fire Emblem newcomers without DLC. Three Fire Emblem characters total in addition to the two veterans based on one's game success does not seem probable. However, it is certainly possible.
I doubt it too, but given that one of the newcomers is a clone it seems a bigger possibility.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A hooded Robin would be cool, too. Probably not going to happen, though. I could see recolors of other classes, and perhaps even a green recolor based on the NPC sprites of the GBA games (as a nod to Mark), but that's about it.

Top Bottom