• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I'm still heavily questioning my recent sword theory... I'm trying as hard as I can to figure something out that's simple and reasonable with the limited info we currently have. Ugh.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I disagree with this. The other thunder spells are stronger but a bit slower with more lag, and another possibility is, like in Fire Emblem, the higher level tomes have less durability, or perhaps in this case, the durability is a set amount but the spell used exhausts more durability.

There is nothing to suggest that Thunder can be charged into Elthunder or Arcthunder, they appear to be used immediately, the only one that appears to have a charge is Thoron.
@ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle has pointed out the scene in the intro where the spells are charged. I personally think that's pretty strong evidence.

Watch where he casts each of the spells carefully. Robin holds his book in front of him (as he does during the charge scene) briefly before swinging the book behind his back to cast the spell. The animation with the book in front of him would be the charge animation. This animation is then canceled into the casting animation (presumably by pressing the button again) soon afterward. It happens on every thunder cast in the video.

Xavier :D

Smash Ace
NNID
legend_of_xav
I've never even played Awakening, but Lucina and Robin have a charm to them, and they instantly caused me to like them. I already can see them being apart of my mains.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Honestly, I still don't see the durability thing as that big of a downside. pulling out a insanely powerful neut special whenever you want with no start lag is crazy. even if you do only get to use it 3 or 4 times a stock that's all you would need.

EDIT: nvm @ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle has cleared this up. and thanks, btw, I didn't notice the lightning bolt gained more zigzags, only the cross-hair looking thing.
No problem. I just like contributing.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
It would be interesting to see, if only to see GameFAQs riot after a hinted canon establishment.

Although I'd err on the side of caution if I were the Smash team, since that's messy stuff, especially for a game originally revered for player preference.
Well yeaaah, but it doesn't have to be set in stone! There are many timelines and outrealms and alternate dimensions in Awakening so to state that the Lucina that appears in Smash comes from a time and dimension where ...uh... random example, Tharja, is her mother and Noire is a loving sister! I expect if we get any news on this that it would be Sumia though, cause the opening cutscene and all that.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
It is not fun for me. I am utterly pretentious, but it bothers me seeing them crawl to us AFTER Robin has been revealed. It is almost as though they support her just because she is in the game.
It is just my opinion, do not take it to heart. I did the same thing with Greninja because I did not realize that I wanted him, so I never bothered to actually discuss him prior to his reveal.
This is what happened with me. I was following the character reveals but I didn't know who or what I really wanted to see in smash. I was hype when Rosalina and Palutena came out, and then Robin's reveal happened, and I was beyond ecstatic. I rarely posted on smashboards before now (even though I've been around awhile), but with Robin's reveal I knew I just HAD to come join you all on the forums. I hope you'll accept me even though I'm new. :4robinm::4robinf:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
I realized earlier today (late yesterday?) that I really really want a Mark color scheme.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I was all for Robin once Ike was confirmed and dusted off my old account to start posting again (only started paying attention to Smash again after Greninja was confirmed). I'm just horribly introverted, even with mere internet conversation, so I only pop up every once in a while to make a point or two and lurk the majority of the time.

Mansana

Smash Apprentice
I'm a guy, and I'll be playing the female version most of the time. I hope I don't get judged.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I should have just linked the video instead.

I'm just curious as to if where Chrom appears is at all relative to the enemy, or it just has a fixed distance like with Greninja's FS.
Based GameXplain. Love those guys.

actually no. if he wasn't robin final smash, i'd have hope for DLc chrom, at the very least.
When Chrom takes the field, Alfonzo takes his place as Robin's Finals Smash. Alfonzo: "Leave it to me!!"

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Well yeaaah, but it doesn't have to be set in stone! There are many timelines and outrealms and alternate dimensions in Awakening so to state that the Lucina that appears in Smash comes from a time and dimension where ...uh... random example, Tharja, is her mother and Noire is a loving sister! I expect if we get any news on this that it would be Sumia though, cause the opening cutscene and all that.
Well, I'm fairly certain we won't get any info on it. Just doesn't seem to be the kind of info that would make it into Smash.

I'm a guy, and I'll be playing the female version most of the time. I hope I don't get judged.
Why would you be? It's just a matter of taste.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
My main is Palutena, and I plan on using female Robin and Lucina. I only use the characters I like (For example, I main Phoenix Wright in UMvC3 even though he's last on some/most tier lists). In this game I just really like the female characters. In Fighting Climax when that comes out, I plan on maining Asuna. Using female characters is fine. Just make sure to beat the pulp out o anyone you play against.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, the Robin hype train won't stop for quite some time still, and all kinds of people are happily celebrating the defeat of the great, dark shadow that was gematsu.

replace Luke with Robin and force ghosts with Chrom
Replace Yoda with Tiki and Obi-Wan with Roy and it's perfect. In my mind, Sal is Emperor Palpatine,

Not from me. I'm a guy, and I intend to play as female!Robin. I've always kind of preferred her over male!Robin.

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
I'd love to have a way to put your actual Robin from Awakening to Sm4sh, it's definitvely possible to do that, especially in the 3DS version. Or maybe we can just change his hairstyle(or even his voice maybe) in the same menu used to personalize your Mii fighter.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You guys! I just...still can't believe it! I lost hope along time ago, and stopped posting in the thread. I...it's like some kind of miracle, all the sudden Gematsu was slain by Robin and Lucina, two characters who defied fate.

****ing Robin, I can't even...oh my god. A subforum...character...just...whoa.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd love to have a way to put your actual Robin from Awakening to Sm4sh, it's definitvely possible to do that, especially in the 3DS version. Or maybe we can just change his hairstyle(or even his voice maybe) in the same menu used to personalize your Mii fighter.
Importing your own Robin would be interesting, but the build couldn't change. Doesn't Robin have different builds that can be given, as well? I think so, that's the one thing that can't change. I'm not sure if they'll be able to do it for Robin as it might be too complicated, but it could be really cool to have (although if Robin can have that, people will want Villager to have the same mechanic as well).

Morbi

Scavenger
Importing your own Robin would be interesting, but the build couldn't change. Doesn't Robin have different builds that can be given, as well? I think so, that's the one thing that can't change. I'm not sure if they'll be able to do it for Robin as it might be too complicated, but it could be really cool to have (although if Robin can have that, people will want Villager to have the same mechanic as well).
Indeed. Each gender as three builds, one is usually much shorter and more child-like whereas the other is larger.

Fortunately, I already have my Robin from Awakening in Smash. :4robinf:

U.N.Owen

Smash Cadet
Yeah that's the main problem with this, maybe we could only just import the facial feature and the hairstyle, but that would be weird

I don't see the point of not putting this option for the Villager IMO thought, that's like the one thing people wanted whit Him/Her.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah that's the main problem with this, maybe we could only just import the facial feature and the hairstyle, but that would be weird

I don't see the point of not putting this option for the Villager IMO thought, that's like the one thing people wanted whit Him/Her.
Yeah, if we could import both Robin and Villager from the existing games that'd be cool.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
[judging intensifies]

I'll be using the male version though, the female Robin's voice sounds annoying

While some characters make me more hype than others, it's the playstyle of a character that makes me main them, not who they are. Like I played Mega Man a bit at Best Buy and really liked him. That's why I usually use the default skin :p

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Well, I've brought this up a few times, but I think GameExplain figured it out.

Normal, El, and Arc are the custom moveset options. When Robin uses the thunder spells, the animation is different, but he never charges up the different spells. When using Thoron, Robin does charge it up. So, I think Thoron is used by charging the thunder magic, but the base spell is the custom moveset option.

Another theory is that, the "base" spell are the ones shown in the trailer. Wind and Fire only have one version each; Elwind and Arcfire. So my guess is "Thunder" is the base Thunder magic, but again, the other tiers of spells are custom movesets.
The reason this theory is bogus, is because the symbols on the tomes change as the Thunder spell is charged.

Here, let Serenes Forest help us figure out what is going on, here:

Thunder
Elthunder
Arcthunder
Thoron

So based on the trailer, this is what I see. The player holds down the B button for the neutral special. As the spell is charged (Thunder), it upgrades into the other, higher levels. Chage enough, and you eventually can use the mighty Thoron. Based on the trailer, it would take you about 2 full seconds to charge up to Thoron, at least. It's not something you're going to be able to use constantly, fully-charged, like most charge moves (Samus' charge beam, Lucario's Aura Sphere, Donkey Kong's Giant Punch, to an extent). After unleashing the charged version, one of two things probably happen: either you keep the charge level you charged to for other attacks, but as you use them, they wear out eventually, with things like Thoron only having a couple uses versus basic Thunder having dozens. The other option is that after unleashing a charged thunder spell, it automatically reverts to Thunder again. Either way, it seems that after using thunder magic enough, it wear out somehow.

Something to keep in mind: we never see Robin use more than one thunder spell sequentially. We see him use Thunder 3 times in succession, but that's it. That's why you can't pin down which way it goes. Either you revert to Thunder, or you don't... either way, the endlag on Thoron is HUGE, so you wouldn't want to "rapid" fire it, anyway. Probably.

Perhaps side B AND up B can be charged as well? Upgrade from Fire, to Elfire, to Arcfire, to Bolganone, etc? There isn't any evidence of this, however. Seems the fire and wind tomes are more rigid. Custom moves, maybe? Side B is definitely Arcfire, up B is Elwind, and down B is Nosferatu. Despite there being many dark tomes, Nosferatu is the only one besides Aversa's Night that saps health, and Aversa's Night is kind of an "event" tome... not a normal one. Aversa doesn't even use it in the game! So, I definitely can't see down B being chargeable at all.

You also see that Fire is the standard jab finisher, while Arcwind is the rapid jab finisher.

The mechanic of the Levin Sword still eludes me, however. Definitely the biggest mystery. Robin is seen using thunder magic alongside the Levin Sword, so it's not a direct replacement of the thunder spells. In fact, the Levin Sword is seen alongside all the tome colors.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
[judging intensifies]

I'll be using the male version though, the female Robin's voice sounds annoying

While some characters make me more hype than others, it's the playstyle of a character that makes me main them, not who they are. Like I played Mega Man a bit at Best Buy and really liked him. That's why I usually use the default skin :p
Are you really going to say that about the Voice of Yoko from Gurren Lagann!?!?!?!?!!

Last edited:

Reginleif

Smash Ace
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Don't worry about being judged for playing as whatever version you want.

D

Deleted member

Found the pics I was looking for(sorry Chrom, I like you as a character, but as a lord...)

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Personally, I'm going to use the opposite of whatever gender character my opponent is using (so if my opponent uses :4lucina: I'll use :4robinm:, and if my opponent uses :4marth: I'll use :4robinm:). :troll:

Hong

The Strongest
Hm, I definitely agree with this, especially the bit about the icons by Robin's health % since that would give the player a visual indication on what they're dealing with for management purposes rather than having to be oblivious. Mac having an indicator for the KO Punch and the emphasis aiding Olimar's strategies for Pikmin management make me me believe that this will be the case.

Mind if I add your thoughts to the list of theories?
Sure thing hun. :)

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't know if anyone caught it, they probably did. But I'm guessing Robin's F-Tilt is the one used right after Marth and Ike show up when Robin points his sword towards them.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
The reason this theory is bogus, is because the symbols on the tomes change as the Thunder spell is charged.

Here, let Serenes Forest help us figure out what is going on, here:

Thunder
Elthunder
Arcthunder
Thoron

So based on the trailer, this is what I see. The player holds down the B button for the neutral special. As the spell is charged (Thunder), it upgrades into the other, higher levels. Chage enough, and you eventually can use the mighty Thoron. Based on the trailer, it would take you about 2 full seconds to charge up to Thoron, at least. It's not something you're going to be able to use constantly, fully-charged, like most charge moves (Samus' charge beam, Lucario's Aura Sphere, Donkey Kong's Giant Punch, to an extent). After unleashing the charged version, one of two things probably happen: either you keep the charge level you charged to for other attacks, but as you use them, they wear out eventually, with things like Thoron only having a couple uses versus basic Thunder having dozens. The other option is that after unleashing a charged thunder spell, it automatically reverts to Thunder again. Either way, it seems that after using thunder magic enough, it wear out somehow.

Something to keep in mind: we never see Robin use more than one thunder spell sequentially. We see him use Thunder 3 times in succession, but that's it. That's why you can't pin down which way it goes. Either you revert to Thunder, or you don't... either way, the endlag on Thoron is HUGE, so you wouldn't want to "rapid" fire it, anyway. Probably.

Perhaps side B AND up B can be charged as well? Upgrade from Fire, to Elfire, to Arcfire, to Bolganone, etc? There isn't any evidence of this, however. Seems the fire and wind tomes are more rigid. Custom moves, maybe? Side B is definitely Arcfire, up B is Elwind, and down B is Nosferatu. Despite there being many dark tomes, Nosferatu is the only one besides Aversa's Night that saps health, and Aversa's Night is kind of an "event" tome... not a normal one. Aversa doesn't even use it in the game! So, I definitely can't see down B being chargeable at all.

You also see that Fire is the standard jab finisher, while Arcwind is the rapid jab finisher.

The mechanic of the Levin Sword still eludes me, however. Definitely the biggest mystery. Robin is seen using thunder magic alongside the Levin Sword, so it's not a direct replacement of the thunder spells. In fact, the Levin Sword is seen alongside all the tome colors.
Perhaps the Levin Sword was seen alongside the other tomes that were still available to Robin? I think we need to figure out what happens after Robin throws a tome away. For instance, if he ditches his Yellow Tome, which we assume is Neutral B, what will his new special be? Will it be something to regenerate the tome? I theorized that you will gain the Levin Sword by pressing the special move of a tome you have used up.

Let's say Robin uses up the Wind Tome and has to ditch it. Elwind acts as his recovery, but he can't do it because he used his wind powers the maximum amount of times. There has to be something to replace Elwind. Unless Robin has a double jump with great height(Mewtwo, Yoshi, Ness) or multiple jumps, he can't just not have a way to get back to the stage.

That's why I think the Levin Sword is what Robin falls back on. Possibly the Levin Sword will act as some form of recovery since Elwind is gone. Ugh, this is all going to be a mystery until Sakurai decides to explain...

Last edited:
Top Bottom