• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I just want to address the "OP" nature of Robin's recovery. As far as I can tell, Robin is one of the only (if not the only) non-tether recovery that only attacks below him. I think that is a pretty significant factor in favor of his recovery being good but not OP.
The problem isn't the ability to attack, its the ability to use it repeatedly without any penalties. All other recoveries force the character to fall into a free fall upon using them.

I don't think that if you run out of your recovery, you will get something else. The strategy would be to not waste your tome usage.
I suppose its possible. I just think Robin will need a replacement, but one that's not NEARLY as good.

I think the tomes really do have a durability system (whereby they become unavailable for further use) they will be based on either each stock or a simple regenerative cycle, and the number will be fairly low.

Somebody earlier suggested that the more magic damage you deal, the closer you get to the Levin sword. I think it's probably something along those lines, though my own personal theory is that a tome will reach its durability limit, regenerate immediately, and temporarily give access to the Levin Sword.
A tome regenerating immediately makes it pointless. There needs to be some time for the tomes to regenerate. I do think tomes will regenerate, but the weapon durability will be tight and it'll take a while for tomes to regenerate.

Sayjin

Smash Journeyman
This is the only trailer video I could find that had the Japanese subtitles, in case you wanted to know what they were.

(Wow, Japan gave Chrom the harsher line at the end. D: )

(Guy brings up a good point at 0:34 tho)
Is it bad that I knew who that was just by reading the title of the video? "Rey's thoughts", and I immediately knew it'd be Shadow of Chaos?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I dislike the idea of the tomes coming back because thats not how it works in Fire Emblem, once a Tome breaks it is gone for good and you need to find another outside of the battle.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
The problem isn't the ability to attack, its the ability to use it repeatedly without any penalties. All other recoveries force the character to fall into a free fall upon using them.
...............................................................................................................................................................................

A tome regenerating immediately makes it pointless. There needs to be some time for the tomes to regenerate. I do think tomes will regenerate, but the weapon durability will be tight and it'll take a while for tomes to regenerate.
Where are you getting information that Robin won't enter free fall? I've seen nothing of this sort.

It wouldn't make it pointless, it would simply make cycling through tome and sword more important. In my mind, it would make tome management even more important. Do you cycle through your spells quickly to get the Levin Sword? That puts you at risk due to your ending lag. Additionally, if you cycle too fast you may run out of durability on the Levin Sword before landing a kill move, and that seems like it might be a big problem. Most theories here focus on his magic as what's most important (improving his specials), mine merely focuses on his sword (improving his normals).

Last edited:

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
I'm really interested to see what he's going to be like without a tome. Is he just going to be like Solimar, with no B moves?

D

Deleted member

I dislike the idea of the tomes coming back because thats not how it works in Fire Emblem, once a Tome breaks it is gone for good and you need to find another outside of the battle.
Well you can carry more than one tome in your inventory in FE.

So if you really think that Robin won't get her tomes back then maybe she'll be able to "use up" a limited number of an elemental tome per stock, assuming that the tome lifetime isn't that long.

On that note, while I very much expect that the tomes "breaking" will be based on attack number like in the FE games, I envision it could also work with a time-based system where a tome will "break" after two total minutes of use (of that individual tome) kind of like how Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon got weaker after 1-2 minutes out, iirc. Again I think the former option is much more likely.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, maybe Robin finds another tome after a while? Just a theory. Yeah, I know they don't come back in FE, but its not as easy to do here. Unless when Robin is on the field maybe tomes can randomly spawn as items.

Where in the world are you getting information that Robin won't enter free fall?
It sure looks like Robin uses Elwind twice in the trailer. It didn't look to me like Elwind simply shoots two in one, but I guess I could be wrong.

Well you can carry more than one tome in your inventory in FE.

So if you really think that Robin won't get her tomes back then maybe she'll be able to "use up" a limited number of an elemental tome per stock, assuming that the tome lifetime isn't that long.

On that note, while I very much expect that the tomes "breaking" will be based on attack number like in the FE games, I envision it could also work with a time-based system where a tome will "break" after two total minutes of use (of that individual tome) kind of like how Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon got weaker after 1-2 minutes out, iirc. Again I think the former option is much more likely.
In the case of thunder, I think that when charging the spell, the higher level charge will break it more, and the thunder tome counts as one, instead of each individually. It is possible they are separate, but if that's the case, I fully expect separate Wind, Elwind, Arcwind, and Tornado tomes, as well as Fire, Elfire, Arcfire, and Bolganone tomes that can all be charged. I don't find that too likely, though. Unless you can like charge your recovery tome on the ground and use it later as well.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
We have a new Brawl in the Family comic! And Robin makes his first appearance as a newly confirmed Smash character! Oh, and Lucina is in it too.

image.jpg

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Overview: Specials

Neutral B: Thunder

• Can be charged.
  • Charging goes though 4 levels and resets again.
  • Thunder > Elthunder > Arcthunder > Thoron > Thunder
  • Can save a charge, probably by rolling or spotdodging.
Side B: Arcfire
  • Unknown if charged.
  • Is a combination of Mario's Fireball and Ness's PK Fire.
Down B: Nosferatu
  • Stuns the target and damages them while healing Robin.
Up B: Elwind
  • Shoots at least 2 waves of wind.
  • Sends robin upwards.
  • Can be angled. Robin's trajectory can be effected by how you angle the shot.
Idea for Tomes and Levin Sword:
  • Each move that involves magic has a durability.
  • Once you use up the durability, you cannot use that move again.
  • Levin Sword can be equipped once you use a Special Move tome up.
  • The Levin Sword has its own durability.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Robin goes through two different arm gestures when shooting the Elwinds. And he goes much higher after shooting the second Elwind, so much so he flies offscreen, whereas the first Elwind just barely lifted him vertically.

The Double Elwind may be his complete UpB recovery. He's not using UpB twice.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
It sure looks like Robin uses Elwind twice in the trailer. It didn't look to me like Elwind simply shoots two in one, but I guess I could be wrong.
Oh, well. I hadn't thought of that as a possibility. However the animation from one cast to the other is different, and it seems unlikely that Sakurai would put two different animations in the game for one move.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I hope that Nosferatu has some kind of knockback. It'd suck if your opponent could just hit you right back after sapping their health.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
I don't know if anyone else caught this, but I noticed this while staring at the trailer for art references.

That's the same symbol seen on the lightning tome after Robin charges it up to get, presumably, Thoron. Since this is the fire tome, I think it's safe to say that Bolganone exists as the charged up fire tome move.

D

Deleted member

Overview: Specials

Neutral B: Thunder

• Can be charged.
  • Charging goes though 4 levels and resets again.
  • Thunder > Elthunder > Arcthunder > Thoron > Thunder
  • Can save a charge, probably by rolling or spotdodging.
Side B: Arcfire
  • Unknown if charged.
  • Is a combination of Mario's Fireball and Ness's PK Fire.
Down B: Nosferatu
  • Stuns the target and damages them while healing Robin.
Up B: Elwind
  • Shoots at least 2 waves of wind.
  • Sends robin upwards.
  • Can be angled. Robin's trajectory can be effected by how you angle the shot.
Idea for Tomes and Levin Sword:
  • Each move that involves magic has a durability.
  • Once you use up the durability, you cannot use that move again.
  • Levin Sword can be equipped once you use a Special Move tome up.
  • The Levin Sword has its own durability.
For the Levin Sword, the Strong/Slow Start Theory also exists.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
I don't know if anyone else caught this, but I noticed this while staring at the trailer for art references.

That's the same symbol seen on the lightning tome after Robin charges it up to get, presumably, Thoron. Since this is the fire tome, I think it's safe to say that Bolganone exists as the charged up fire tome move.
We settled on that symbol being for the Arc moves.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

That's Arcfire I believe.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

Sorry bud, that's the Arcfire symbol. I know it's tiny, but check this out:

Again, from Serenes Forest.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Do you guys think that the Jab Combo has its own durability? I believe that. Also, no one knows what the hell the grounded wind move that sends kirby upwards is.

It could be an elaborate tilt, or a up-special grounded.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Do you guys think that the Jab Combo has its own durability? I believe that. Also, no one knows what the hell the grounded wind move that sends kirby upwards is.

It could be an elaborate tilt, or a up-special grounded.
For whatever reason, my heart of hearts tells me that durability is tied solely to his special moves.

I remembered the reason: It's because I think it would be too easy to deplete Elwind.

Last edited:

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Sorry bud, that's the Arcfire symbol. I know it's tiny, but check this out:

Again, from Serenes Forest.
Yes, that is Arcfire, and the same symbol is used for Arcthunder's sprites in FE, but I checked again and caught a shot of the Thoron tome right before Robin uses in the trailer. Still the same symbol.

I think it's entirely possible that Smash won't perfectly match the FE tome sprites. If we're going by sprites from the Fire Emblem games, then the symbol doesn't match any of the Thoron sprites. The closest one is the second to last one, but there's obvious differences.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Yes, that is Arcfire, and the same symbol is used for Arcthunder's sprites in FE, but I checked again and caught a shot of the Thoron tome right before Robin uses in the trailer. Still the same symbol.

I think it's entirely possible that Smash won't perfectly match the FE tome sprites. If we're going by sprites from the Fire Emblem games, then the symbol doesn't match any of the Thoron sprites. The closest one is the second to last one, but there's obvious differences.
Could that mean that in the previous picture is Bolganone and not Arcfire?

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
And only just now did I realize that this could be a nod to the "Double Attack" mechanic in Fire Emblem.

Gosh, Robin is embodying all kinds of Fire Emblem mechanics today.
Dang, I like this theory FAR better than what I believed.. I figured it was because in Awakening, Elwind shoots two "blades" of wind at once, forming an X shape, so this is just that but with the two done in succession instead of simultaneously.

Anyway I'll make more on-topic posts now.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
My my. Look at how vibrant speculation has become. What have you done, Robin? :)

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Robin tipped the scales so hard it's ridiculous.

It was his second best strategy, only not being as good as rusing validar.

Tsutori

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2320-6305-8112
Hm, I checked again, and that star symbol is also on the Arcfire tome. I'm confused now. Maybe that lends some credit to the idea that only Thunder tomes charge.

Also, I might be seeing things, but after using Thoron, female Robin seems to be holding a thunder tome that has only one zigzag on the lightning bolt. Male Robin, before charging up Thoron completely, has a lightning bolt with two zigzags on his tome.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I just like the idea that Robin is the only person with enough mettle to take on Captain Falcon in a one-on-one fight confidently.

And that Robin is the only soul that Captain Falcon will take seriously. Seriously, he lost all that snarky smiling the minute he saw Robin in that trailer. He's scared. :v

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Hm, I checked again, and that star symbol is also on the Arcfire tome. I'm confused now. Maybe that lends some credit to the idea that only Thunder tomes charge.

Also, I might be seeing things, but after using Thoron, female Robin seems to be holding a thunder tome that has only one zigzag on the lightning bolt. Male Robin, before charging up Thoron completely, has a lightning bolt with two zigzags on his tome.
One zigzag represents Thunder, and two zigzags represents Elthunder. The circle-like symbol is Arcthunder, and there's another symbol for Thoron as well. They all charge into each other, starting with Thunder.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
:) Plenty of folks dropped in to support Robin way back when. Even if you did not frequent the thread, I still remember you. Whether you were here from the start, dropped in once, frequented the thread, or are just here now, I am as equally as thankful for you as anyone else. Hong-senpai always notices you.

I'm impressed with the number of people who just joined SmashBoards because they liked the support thread, though.
The only reason I seem to not frequent this thread is because I randomly stop getting alerts for this thread. Normally this isn't a problem, but I don't really frequent the characters section for Smash 4 all that much lol.

Hong

The Strongest
Mr. Sakurai surely knew what level the fan-base had elevated Captain Falcon. It was clear from his debut in Subspace Emissary, which was equally as epic. They know how much we like to see him, and how awesome it would make a newcomer seem if the Captain had met his match.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Mr. Sakurai surely knew what level the fan-base had elevated Captain Falcon. It was clear from his debut in Subspace Emissary, which was equally as epic. They know how much we like to see him, and how awesome it would make a newcomer seem if the Captain had met his match.
Additionally, I imagine there would be quite the boycott if the Captain was absent.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yeah there is definitely a tome switching mechanic, right after Robin rolls you see a quick spark and she fires off El Thunder.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I noticed that there hasn't been a social thread on this sub forum yet.

@ Hong Hong Do you mind if I start one, or do you think that won't be necessary?

Last edited:

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
Yeah there is definitely a tome switching mechanic, right after Robin rolls you see a quick spark and she fires off El Thunder.
I hypothesize that the spark you see is the charging animation before the user manages to tap B a second time, though it certainly could be a tome switch mechanic.

D

Deleted member

This is the only trailer video I could find that had the Japanese subtitles, in case you wanted to know what they were.

(Wow, Japan gave Chrom the harsher line at the end. D: )

(Guy brings up a good point at 0:34 tho)
I always knew Falcon was a god, only him to have the greatest move of all.
I'm kinda sad that Japan doesn't get "Time to tip the scales!".
Btw, I now understand why the Levin Sword releases a thunder from it

Top Bottom