• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
./text wall

Completely off topic, BUT CURIOUS ABOUT OPINIONS.

So, let's say you're in a competitive match, and you lose the first stock, would you think it was cheap and rude if you're opponent were to not approach to play it safe? Like, they're not running from side to side avoiding you completely, They're literally just on the other side of the stage and staying there waiting for you.

I've recently tried to get into smash competitively and this is something recently happened. Only I was the one who took the first stock. I was C.Falcon and he was Sheik, I took the first stock and he jumped the other side of the stage and just kept throwing needles and when he DID approach I just walled him out with N-airs and didn't chase him with follow ups. After about a minute he started complaining how I wasn't coming after him :L We wanted it to be a competitive match, so I felt I didn't NEED to approach him since I had the stock lead. SO what would you have done? Would you not approach at all either? Do you think it's cheap or rude to do that?
THANKS FOR ANSWERING IN ADVANCE IF YOU DID
./semi-rant over

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
When it comes to competitive play, all niceties are thrown out the window. You play to win, and that's that, damn the consequences and damn the feelings of others.

That sounded particularly blood knightish, lol

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
./text wall

So, let's say you're in a competitive match, and you lose the first stock, would you think it was cheap and rude if you're opponent were to not approach to play it safe? Like, they're not running from side to side avoiding you completely, They're literally just on the other side of the stage and staying there waiting for you.

I've recently tried to get into smash competitively and this is something recently happened. Only I was the one who took the first stock. I was C.Falcon and he was Sheik, I took the first stock and he jumped the other side of the stage and just kept throwing needles and when he DID approach I just walled him out with N-airs and didn't chase him with follow ups. After about a minute he started complaining how I wasn't coming after him :L We wanted it to be a competitive match, so I felt I didn't NEED to approach him since I had the stock lead. SO what would you have done? Would you not approach at all either? Do you think it's cheap or rude to do that?
./semi-rant over
No, it's a perfectly legitimate strategy. It's a **** move, sure, but if it helps you win, it's fair go.

This is, incidentally, why stages with the potential for circle-camp abuse (Pilotwings, Windy Hill, etc) are tourney-banned.

EDIT: I'm reminded of the tutorial tip for Peacock in Skullgirls wherein it encourages you to time-out your opponent with her projectile wall. "Your opponent may not care for this tactic," it tells you with coy mirth, "But it's a perfectly legitimate strategy."

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
./text wall

./semi-rant over
Well obviously this type of strategy can be not fun for either party involved but a win's a win as long as it follows the rules. When money's on the line then it is reasonable to use a strategy that has a higher chance of success.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
./text wall

./semi-rant over
No Not at all actually. In a serious tournament settings you do what it takes to win within the confides of the game. I tell local players to play like scumbags all the time and they are not afraid to do so. If you or your opponent has a stock lead why would you give it up and BTW Sonic play is sometimes notorious for this. Also have a local Little Mac player who gonna be getting on our PR soon but he's very emotional at times and every time I play him I play super scumbag and platform camp cause it's Little Mac, you choose that life when you play Mac.

EDIT: Also people have been started to do double blind pick against me recently cause I play soo many characters at a ok to decent LVL not Rosalina cause I counterpick people alot and I'm not ashamed of it.

Last edited:

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
When it comes to competitive play, all niceties are thrown out the window. You play to win, and that's that, damn the consequences and damn the feelings of others.

That sounded particularly blood knightish, lol
No, it's a perfectly legitimate strategy. It's a **** move, sure, but if it helps you win, it's fair go.

This is, incidentally, why stages with the potential for circle-camp abuse (Pilotwings, Windy Hill, etc) are tourney-banned.

EDIT: I'm reminded of the tutorial tip for Peacock in Skullgirls wherein it encourages you to time-out your opponent with her projectile wall. "Your opponent may not care for this tactic," it tells you with coy mirth, "But it's a perfectly legitimate strategy."
Well obviously this type of strategy can be not fun for either party involved but a win's a win as long as it follows the rules. When money's on the line then it is reasonable to use a strategy that has a higher chance of success.
No Not at all actually. In a serious tournament settings you do what it takes to win within the confides of the game. I tell local players to play like scumbags all the time and they are not afraid to do so. If you or your opponent has a stock lead why would you give it up and BTW Sonic play is sometimes notorious for this. Also have a local Little Mac player who gonna be getting on our PR soon but he's very emotional at times and every time I play him I play super scumbag and platform camp cause it's Little Mac, you choose that life when you play Mac.

EDIT: Also people have been started to do double blind pick against me recently cause I play soo many characters at a ok to decent LVL not Rosalina cause I counterpick people alot and I'm not ashamed of it.
Thank you for the replies! I can see that this is semi frowned upon, or at least less so frowned upon than completely avoiding. I remember at EVO a sonic completely avoiding someone because he took the stock.I Believe it was against Ally's Mario? Not sure, not really that relevant either I guess. But as I said, I'm very new to the competitive scene, I've only recently decided to enter it about a week and a half ago (I was actually going to try to enter smashcon since I'm only a three hour drive away from it, but didn't have the money for the entry fee :$) Again though, than you, and I'll keep these things in mind for the times I do get the stock lead.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
./text wall

./semi-rant over
In addition to what everyone said, which I agree with, your opponent was playing Sheik. He forfeited the right to complain at the CSS, haha.

D

Deleted member

./text wall

./semi-rant over
If you're ahead there's no reason for you to approach so there's nothing wrong with what you did.

A while back I did the same thing to a Ness, I was playing as Ryu and I took the first stock so when he came back I just stayed to one side of the stage, instead of approaching he ran to the other side and tried to camp with PK Thunder and eventually SD forfeited after I refused to approach since his camping was failing.

If you're a stock down it falls on you to do the work to even the stocks and come back. You can't just expect an opponent in the lead to approach and risk losing their lead just because that's what you want them to do, and you especially can't consider your opponent unfair for not approaching. Anyone who does that quite frankly doesn't understand the concept of playing safe.

I would not have approached in this situation (if I would be thinking enough to understand not to do that at this point, usually I go in anyway if I have the stock lead because I like hitting things and trust my aggressive play).

And no I don't think it's cheap or rude, I think it's smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Yoooooo, I knew Zestiria was coming out and I'm already saving up to buy that BUT YOOOOO I DDIN'T NOW SYMPHONIA WAS
I mean, I already have the GameCube version, but that's the PS3 version, and i'd buy that just use mystic artes (i'm strangely addicted to mystic artes. I just love the idea of them, plus they're always so visually appealing and the cutouts are really well done)

A while back I did the same thing to a Ness, I was playing as Ryu and I took the first stock so when he came back I just stayed to one side of the stage, instead of approaching he ran to the other side and tried to camp with PK Thunder and eventually SD forfeited after I refused to approach since his camping was failing.
LOL, Ness though
no offense to Elezir or other Ness main on this thread when I say that

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Yoooooo, I knew Zestiria was coming out and I'm already saving up to buy that BUT YOOOOO I DDIN'T NOW SYMPHONIA WAS
I mean, I already have the GameCube version, but that's the PS3 version, and i'd buy that just use mystic artes (i'm strangely addicted to mystic artes. I just love the idea of them, plus they're always so visually appealing and the cutouts are really well done)

LOL, Ness though
no offense to Elezir or other Ness main on this thread when I say that
And it's based on the Japanese only PS2 version with more sidequests and bosses. Too bad my PS3 broke before I had a chance to play the HD remaster of my favorite game.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
If enough people Pre-Order Zestiria they'll give Symphonia for free. That's a pretty damn good deal. Go ham, JRPG fans.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Yaaaay Oklahoma PR

1. Deezus :4luigi: :4sheik:
2. Johan :4robinm: :4sonic:
3. Hyper :4wario: :4dk:
4. ChuckNasty :4charizard:
5. Zurge :4kirby:
6. Leaf :4pit: :4falco:
7. Muse :4tlink: :4sheik:
8. Throng :4ganondorf: :4falcon:
9. Fez :rosalina: :4pacman:
10. NicklePeeps :4ness:

Time to grab that No. 1 spot.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
And it's based on the Japanese only PS2 version with more sidequests and bosses. Too bad my PS3 broke before I had a chance to play the HD remaster of my favorite game.
OH, are there? All I knew about the japanese version is that Abyission is a lot harder, and that his color scheme is changed too. I don't know much else about it. That, and I think there's another a 3rd segment added to the final boss.

If enough people Pre-Order Zestiria they'll give Symphonia for free. That's a pretty damn good deal. Go ham, JRPG fans.
Available to everyone who pre-order Zestiria for free, or it'll just be on steam to the public for free?

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Available to everyone who pre-order Zestiria for free, or it'll just be on steam to the public for free?
For those who pre-order Zestiria. But you still have about 2 months so get that money together!

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
For those who pre-order Zestiria. But you still have about 2 months so get that money together!
AYYYYY, not bad. I was going to wait for a steam sale to buy it, but seeing as there's a chance to get ANOTHER Tales Of game I wouldn't be able to play since I don' t have a PS3 looks like I'ma be pre-ordering after all.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
OH, are there? All I knew about the japanese version is that Abyission is a lot harder, and that his color scheme is changed too. I don't know much else about it. That, and I think there's another a 3rd segment added to the final boss.

Yeah, there are few other tweaks as well. Different artes, bosses have more mystic artes, more costumes, unison gauge requires only 150 hits instead of 200, etc. And they're all in Chronicles. I don't think there's a 3rd segment added to the final boss BUT

the last boss in the book dungeon sidequest is replaced with a fight against past Yuan, Kratos, and Mithos at the same time

Afraid I won't be helping with the sick Zestiria steam pre-order bonus since I'm getting the ps4 version. That version better at least have a better frame rate than the ps3 version, which I hear is pretty bad.

Last edited:

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Yeah, there are few other tweaks as well. Different artes, bosses have more mystic artes, more costumes, unison gauge requires only 150 hits instead of 200, etc. And they're all in Chronicles. I don't think there's a 3rd segment added to the final boss BUT

the last boss in the book dungeon sidequest is replaced with a fight against past Yuan, Kratos, and Mithos at the same time

Afraid I won't be helping with the sick Zestiria steam pre-order bonus since I'm getting the ps4 version. That version better at least have a better frame rate than the ps3 version, which I hear is pretty bad.
Oooh, that all sounds really good. Kind of makes me more excited to play

./TRIGGERED MODE
YO OKAY, can we talk about that LAME ASS FINAL BOSS IN THAT BOOK THOUGH?? Like okay, for me personally it was a huge let down. I had a lot of trouble going through the last five floors of the dungeon. I always would get to a floor where I was forced to use a random character alone. forget to put on some accessory and die from that stupid petrifaction, or I would gt stuck with Raine or Genius and just die normally because lol Raine and Genius. SO, when I finally got to that final floor i was SO hyped because I thought this was going to be SO HARD. And then he turns out to be easier than the boss on floor 10. Like okay, he auto cast gravity well and ground dasher sometimes BIG WOOP. IT WAS SO EASY I HATED IT. LIKE, AT LEAST THE BOSS ON FLOOR 10 YOU COULDN'T ALWAYS HIT HIM BECAUSE OF HOW HE WAS DESIGNED. This though. Yuan, Kratos and Mithos. God, that sounds like a cluster **** of things and I LOVE IT. I always just looked up and and saw you can only bring three party members with you. NOW THAT, sounds hard. That's how you do an extra, optional boss fight

LOL, everyone has some sort of compliant on Zestiria. Although I haven't heard of any frame rate problems on the PS3. Maybe I haven't looked into it enough.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Played some UMvC3 for the first time in ages today. Can still (just about) pull off some 900,000-damage combos with Phoenix Wright (and that's about all I can do in the game :p)

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
So Robin gorls, your favourite VAs Travis Willingham (Lon'qu) and Laura Bailey (Lucina) will be coming to Vancouver tomorrow, and I'll be visiting them to get an autograph from the two of them!

... They just cost $40... that's all.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So Robin gorls, your favourite VAs Travis Willingham (Lon'qu) and Laura Bailey (Lucina) will be coming to Vancouver tomorrow, and I'll be visiting them to get an autograph from the two of them!

Wow, really? When I met David Vincent, I just asked if he could sign my BlazBlue art book and he did it right away.

He did the Hakumen voice in the middle of the trade hall, too - based Dave~

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Ha! You crazy kids with your defined strengths and abject weaknesses! How coy, how adorable! I set my celestial eyes upon you and scoff!

:4pit:

Behold - a true paragon of absolute adequacy! I stand here, noble and unafraid, with my moderate damage output and reasonable combo rate, ready to strike you down with so-so intensity and an utterly average modicum of fury! Just try to curb my ineffable mediocrity, my indomitable neutrality! I am a divine bastion of eternal normality, an immutable stream of tepid insubstantiality!

I am, to a respectable yet essentially humble quantity, inexorable! I am Pit!
You poor soul. Why have a wimp kid when you can have the savior of hyrule, demon slayer, time traveler who wields the sword of evils bane.

Choose your route, and I shall walk the path of The Hero

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.

rip Philly's wallet.
At a convention I went to 2 years ago I got like 3 autographs from Vic Mignogna with no charge~~

I think that might have been the same year that the con was charging $70 for an autograph from Lucy Lawless. XD

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002

Wow, really? When I met David Vincent, I just asked if he could sign my BlazBlue art book and he did it right away.

He did the Hakumen voice in the middle of the trade hall, too - based Dave~
Meeting you're favorite VAs must be very cool. My brother got to go to a Q&A for his favorite VA, Vic Mignongna (is that spelt right?) at Denver Comic Con a couple months ago and he enjoyed that. I take a look at all of this and I WOULD say I'd be jealous, but then I remembered that my family has ties to famous people. My grandfather is friends with Mr. Harrison Ford so I had the honor of meeting him...

Thrice. :smirk:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
found me a picture of @Raziek during his training session with DK will
yamato happy.JPG

don't have GIMP on me so i couldn't make it prettier
So i was looking for a picture of the other guy @Raziek has as his avatar sometimes Yamato Hotsuin from DeSu2 and the first suggestion my search engine gave me after i wrote his name is "Yamato Hotsuin X Reader Lemon"
yamato mad.JPG

Top Bottom