• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Arc_Thunder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ichuchu
I'll definitely take you up on that offer sometime! NNID is on display :seuss:

Thanks everybody, tips are appreciated. I remember how satisfying up-smash feels, so I imagine part of my issue is my sheer thirst for landing it, along with up-air and, well, side-taunt after killing with those moves (I am guilty :crying:)
Reminds me of how i play Ganondorf all I ever do is go for the disrespect. :4ganondorf:

Matsushi

True Blood
Speaking of taunts, I remember back in the Basic Brawl days when I was always that Marth who stood at the side of the stage and obnoxiously went; "minna miteite kure, minna miteite kure, minna miteite kure, minna miteite kure."

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Maybe I made it sound a bit too much like I'm expecting there to be some instant solution, like there's some single thing I can do to take me to the top level overnight. Obviously I realise there's no such thing, that the only way to truly improve is simply to keep at it over however many months and years it takes.

I can tell that of course I'm a better player than I was say 12 years ago, when I didn't even know tilt attacks existed, or whatever (hey, it's called Super Smash Bros., not Super Tilt Bros., right?). But when I look back at, say, where I was at the 3DS release, and now, I see no difference. Not to take For Glory as any real serious indication of skill, but my win rate there has been stuck at 53% since last November, and I somehow feel like, if I was improving at all, it should have increased even a little by now - I'd be happy if I could even get it to over 55%, but it's never happened. Similarly, the likes of Dedede or Ness remain constant problems for me, no matter how many I've played in the last 10 months or so - I feel like I could play against nothing but Dededes for the next 10 months, and still never be able to beat one.

Maybe it is just that I myself don't consciously see any improvement, but I don't see any evidence that I'm improving either (increasing win rates, other people telling me I've improved, that sort of thing), and I'm the sort of person who needs to see solid, tangible proof that I can see and understand for myself, if I'm to believe anything.

Another source of minor irritation is the fact that there are people who weren't even born when I started playing Smash (a little while after the release of Smash 64 in late 1999), who are by now far better at the games than I'll ever be, but I guess that goes with the simple fact that I'm older than them, and younger people are bound to replace their elders eventually.

Are there any other characters that you like toy around with, at all? [...] What I'm trying to say is maybe you could consider toying around with and putting a little time into some other characters, and giving your primary character(s) a little bit of a rest.
This would be an appropriate time for me to do my "pyramid" of characters, then:
:4marth: :4isaac: :4greatjustice: (make it happen Sakurai pls)
:4zss::4feroy:
:4robinm::4lucina:
:4falcon::4sheik::4zelda::4miisword::4miigun:

I've tried every single character in each of the games released so far, and Marth is the only one to "click" with me in each of them (except 64, obviously). Particularly in Brawl, where literally no other character worked for me, even the ones I listed above for Smash 4. It's sort of a similar situation with this game - outside of the ones above, I don't particularly care for any of the other characters. Maybe I should just give them a try anyway, maybe I'll have more luck with them this time.

Except Ness (and therefore Lucas). It's been almost 16 years, and I still cannot grasp how people are even remotely capable of making PK Thunder go where they want it to.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Maybe I made it sound a bit too much like I'm expecting there to be some instant solution, like there's some single thing I can do to take me to the top level overnight. Obviously I realise there's no such thing, that the only way to truly improve is simply to keep at it over however many months and years it takes.

I can tell that of course I'm a better player than I was say 12 years ago, when I didn't even know tilt attacks existed, or whatever. But when I look back at, say, where I was at the 3DS release, and now, I see no difference. Not to take For Glory as any real serious indication of skill, but my win rate there has been stuck at 53% since last November, and I somehow feel like, if I was improving at all, it should have increased even a little by now - I'd be happy if I could even get it to over 55%, but it's never happened. Similarly, the likes of Dedede or Ness remain constant problems for me, no matter how many I've played in the last 10 months or so - I feel like I could play against nothing but Dededes for the next 10 months, and still never be able to beat one.

Maybe it is just that I myself don't consciously see any improvement, but I don't see any evidence that I'm improving either (increasing win rates, other people telling me I've improved, that sort of thing), and I'm the sort of person who needs to see solid, tangible proof that I can see and understand for myself, if I'm to believe anything.

Another source of minor irritation is the fact that there are people who weren't even born when I started playing Smash (a little while after the release of Smash 64 in late 1999), who are by now far better at the games than I'll ever be, but I guess that goes with the simple fact that I'm older than them, and younger people are bound to replace their elders eventually.
Doubt is the enemy of success.

I find it difficult to believe that you haven't improved since release.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You people are putting Robin way too low on your tier lists. :rolleyes:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
As a matter of fact, I often find my gameplay is hampered because I get to greedy with style kills, especially with the new Checkmate combo our beloved tactician now possesses. I'm noticing I lose much more than I used to due to my thirst for the checkmate, but eh, all part of learning I suppose :chuckle:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Character pyramids sounds interesting. Well here's mine ATM in terms of serious playtime and whom i bust out in tourneys.

EDIT:

:4falco:
:4robinm:
:4marth::4feroy:
:4bowser::4lucina::rosalina:

I also like using :4palutena::4myfriends::4zelda::4samus:from time to time and local players are trying to convince me to learn:4wario2:

EDIT2 : I've been using Robin more than Falco since the patch drop. I need to go back to my one true main for a bit to get rid of rust so I can keep him up in tune for hard punishment type scenarios and be in a calm and watchful mindset since Falco neutral is butt.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Incidentally, can I just make mention of how fun :4drmario: is?

Like holy Naga the shenanigans MD Mario can get up to with his tilts and aerials - beautiful.

Gimp Sheet is of course the funnest move in existence.

And you'd better respect the OOS up-b that kills at moderate percents.

That and his portrait art is hysterical.

:4drmario: YOU KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING.

Character pyramids sounds interesting. Well here's mine ATM in terms of serious playtime and whom i bust out in tourneys.
I swear before you edited it I thought this was a sarcastic comment.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
My character rankings

:4robinf:/:4robinm:
:4falcon::4charizard:
:4pikachu::4myfriends::4feroy:
:4lucina::4greninja:

I think as far as :4pikachu: and :4charizard: go, my skill with them is :4pikachu:>:4charizard:, but I've been playing Zard a lot more recently. His buffs are so nice and I enjoyed playing with him even before the buffs.

Jestar

Prinsass of Hyrule
NNID
JML-64
Switch FC
2130-3831-9341

Like holy Naga the shenanigans MD Mario can get up to with his tilts and aerials - beautiful.

He also has one of the best victory animations in the game.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363

I wasn't trying to be I pressed the send reply by mistake before I got to type what I wanted.

EDIT: Doc is pretty fun but my mashing skills for down b is butt so I would have to work on that.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Here's mine in photo form.
image.jpg

Top 3 are mains
Rest are secondaries

D

Deleted member

Splatoon too fun please nerf.

See I shouldn't have bought it because of my history of near addiction with FPS games, but I did and it's so much fun.

[collapse=A frame of reference for how much time I'm able to put into FPS games]
My BF3 stats.
Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).png
Screenshot (7).png

Colonel 58 in this game essentially means that I hit the max rank of Colonel (level 45) and then proceeded to get 230,000 points (the amount required to go from level 44 to level 45) 58 times.

And the stars on the classes mean I went through the unlock trees of those classes' weapons and equipment that many times.

Yes I went through the Recon class 17 times, I love sniping in Battlefield that much.

And 397 hours translates to 16 days, as a fun fact.
[/collapse]

:awesome:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
In order.... My pyramid:

:4robinf:

@ Wintropy Wintropy : I strongly recommend sticking to 2 characters maximum if you're actually trying to refine your smallest weaknesses. Too often people try to use a character switch as a means of covering a fundamental deficit in their habits. It spreads your effort and produces weaker results. If you look at the high level players of this game, basically all of them play 1-2 characters in tournament, usually one.

@ Moydow Moydow : If you're feeling like you've plateaued, chances are you just need to find better practice partners or teachers. Improvement is easiest when someone better than you is assisting. I'd offer to help via wifi, but our connection was poor enough last time that it's honestly hard to give proper play/critique.

As for play stats...

Dedication gets results.

Gamegenie222

NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Nerd speaking of which @ Raziek Raziek your all about match breakdowns and studying have you ever saw Falln's match breakdown vids at all just curious?

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
In order.... My pyramid:

@ Wintropy Wintropy : I strongly recommend sticking to 2 characters maximum if you're actually trying to refine your smallest weaknesses. Too often people try to use a character switch as a means of covering a fundamental deficit in their habits. It spreads your effort and produces weaker results. If you look at the high level players of this game, basically all of them play 1-2 characters in tournament, usually one.

@ Moydow Moydow : If you're feeling like you've plateaued, chances are you just need to find better practice partners or teachers. Improvement is easiest when someone better than you is assisting. I'd offer to help via wifi, but our connection was poor enough last time that it's honestly hard to give proper play/critique.

As for play stats...

Dedication gets results.
Quite the elaborate pyramid ya got there :rotfl:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
In order.... My pyramid:

As for play stats...

Dedication gets results.
*has used :4diddy: 3 times*

How could you?!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
practice partners or teachers
...of which I currently have none. There's nobody local, and the only tournaments happen every two months or so (unless I drive 2-3 hours every few weeks, which isn't an option), so playing others on wi-fi is the only way I get to play any matches - except I don't really have any people I get to play on a regular basis.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Gosh I'm late. So we're doing tier pyramids then? Okay.

Main: :4luigi:

Secondaries: :4gaw: :4ganondorf:

Third men up: :4tlink: :4robinm:

Unlike some folk, I mainly just focus on my main and worry about other characters when the need arises. Makes it easier on my part.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
...of which I currently have none. There's nobody local, and the only tournaments happen every two months or so (unless I drive 2-3 hours every few weeks, which isn't an option), so playing others on wi-fi is the only way I get to play any matches - except I don't really have any people I get to play on a regular basis.
Is it actually not an option, or are you just telling yourself it's not an option? 2-3 hours is pretty easy, if you have the transportation. (You might not.)

I'm sure you can find SOMEONE online to practice with though?

Last edited:

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
As for play stats...

Dedication gets results.
That 3 Diddy's and Ganon's battles...I know from where they are, Raz Ganon destroys worlds .

So we're talking characters, well here's my little contribution to the topic:

- Main: :4robinf:
-Second: :4falcon:
-FUN (in order...kinda): :4feroy::4shulk::4palutena::4marth::4lucario::4zss::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4lucina::4metaknight:

In tourneys and serious play I always use :4robinf: and I have :4falcon: if I think that I can't keep up with my opponents character in terms of speed, like some :4fox:, :4diddy: or :4sheik: but I think that those are the only ones I use the Cap, and only if I feel unsure. But I share Raz's philosophy, you need to stick with a character to improve with him, changing and moving from a lot of characters and mains won't let you have a whole grasp of any character and you'll only play them at a basic level, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Yeah I have like tons of characters in my fun placement but I only choose them when playing with my friends in a free for all or when we are 8 people, but never in a tourney.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I ALMOST forgot. Yesterday I had a dream where @ Raziek Raziek and i were in a house.
well Imma put an Anguished One here in preparations of the possible comments
anguish.png

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Omg my eyes got super heavy all of a suddn...feels like Bowling Ball.

I can barely keep them open, lol. It's advised of me to gts right now..."Now thats strategy".

I shaall chat up with you tacties tomorrow, and without further ado, goodnight!
(Fun Fact: I yawned nearly 14 times while typing this. "That Felt Good.")

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Is it actually not an option, or are you just telling yourself it's not an option? 2-3 hours is pretty easy, if you have the transportation. (You might not.)
I don't own my own car (insurance is just too expensive), and I wouldn't get taking the family car for most of the day, so driving isn't possible. The alternative is public transport, but schedules are awkward because of where I live (tournaments in Dublin are a total 14 hour round trip - 7am to 9pm - acceptable for a commute to and from work, maybe, but not so much just to play a video game for an hour or so).

I'm sure you can find SOMEONE online to practice with though?
Probably... I guess I just haven't really looked enough, honestly.

Top Bottom