• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Happy Birthday, Niko~!

13468797951959 (2).jpg

You were expecting me to use the same image twice, but it was actually Dio!

:3

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh my god I'm dying yew gais da bess~ <3

INCIDENTALLY.

My brother spoke to my mother (he's too proud to speak to me) and said he didn't mean to hurt me and that he just wants to know I'm okay.

I'm still irked, but it's just residual fury at this stage. I'm happy that he's okay, too.

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Who doesn't go for the disrespect factor when is a possibility? The temptation to confirm the kill with a nice move is really tempting and usually there's nothing you can do against it. And nothing is better than disrespect with a spike or, if playing Falcon, with a sweet spotted knee.

EDIT: Happy Birthday @ Wintropy Wintropy !!!

Here, you can have a Cake with the Hero King.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
That moment when you're fighting a good Ike player, and just as it looks like he's gonna be thrashing your stock hard, you get the double Nair gimp.

That's a good thing to practice, btw. Double Nair gimps. Robin falls slowly enough and double jumps high enough to where a falling double Nair does not send him careening to the bottom blastzone. And that second Nair can be enough to guarantee a stock. Ike, Falcon, Marcina, Mario and Luigi, even Sonic is in trouble if the angle is just right on that second Nair. Recommend.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Oh my god I'm dying yew gais da bess~ <3

INCIDENTALLY.

My brother spoke to my mother (he's too proud to speak to me) and said he didn't mean to hurt me and that he just wants to know I'm okay.

I'm still irked, but it's just residual fury at this stage. I'm happy that he's okay, too.
Happy birthday @ Wintropy Wintropy ! I hope it's a good one.

SpeedBump

Smash Rookie
NNID
XSpeedBumpX
That moment when you're fighting a good Ike player, and just as it looks like he's gonna be thrashing your stock hard, you get the double Nair gimp.

That's a good thing to practice, btw. Double Nair gimps. Robin falls slowly enough and double jumps high enough to where a falling double Nair does not send him careening to the bottom blastzone. And that second Nair can be enough to guarantee a stock. Ike, Falcon, Marcina, Mario and Luigi, even Sonic is in trouble if the angle is just right on that second Nair. Recommend.
It's so satisfying when you can pull it off, too. I had some friendlies a while back with someone who plays Falcon and managed to gimp him early on both of his stocks with nair, his second stock with a double nair. Needless to say that particular match didn't last very long.

In fact, that's one of the biggest things playing in the tournament taught me: I really need to punish off stage better. Robin has the tools for it (and like I said they're soooo satisfying to execute), I just need to really work on trapping people with the appropriate gimp (spike, nair, ledge trump, whatever).

Also, on an unrelated note, I was lurking as saw some discussion a couple pages back about falln's match breakdown videos. I really like watching them since I enjoy playing Rosalina every so often. What I didn't know was that he also did one of Robin vs. Mario. It's a few months old but I thought I'd share it anyways:

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Since a few other people are asking questions tonight, I guess I may as well get this off my chest...

So for the last few weeks, maybe even months, I've been feeling like I'm simply not getting any better at the game. I sort of feel like I've reached my limit, that I can't improve any further from where I'm at now, mainly because I haven't improved from this point for so long. But at the same time, I don't see myself as being particularly good at the game at all, and I know there are a lot of areas I can improve on... but no matter how much I try to work on those areas, I just can't seem to go anywhere.

I guess the main thing is that I'm not exactly sure what more I can do to improve my game. Playing the game, seeing what I did right or wrong, and working from there, doesn't seem to work for me anymore, nor does watching other people play and seeing what they do that I don't (because when I watch other people play, I genuinely can't see anything they do that I don't, except technical stuff like perfect-pivoting), so what more can I do? Or do I just accept that I've gone as far as I can go, drop it, and move on?

tl;dr I feel like I've hit the wall; is there any way to break through it, or am I done?

I had meant to answer this last night, but I neglected to do so. Sorry about that.

Whenever I've hit a wall, and lack immediate means to play with friends, I do one of two things. The first and more obvious of the two options is to play another character and freshen up my fundamentals. The different gameplans different characters have force you to break off of muscle memory and play a more reactionary, flexible style, which really helps in getting away from predictable motions.

The second, and one I use regularly, is to implement self-imposed challenges when playing. For example, when I felt I've hit a rut with Sonic in Brawl, I played games where I did not use the B button for anything other than recovering with Spring. I still do this with Sonic in 4. Forcing myself to not go for the automatic spindash reflex taught me what all Sonic can do with just his speed and his normals - quite a lot. Did you know Sonic has true combos from 50-100% off of Uthrow-Spring Fair? I didn't until I started practicing his grab game.

As for Robin, I will sometimes give myself the same challenge - no special moves other than Elwind. That way, I become more knowledgeable on Robin's normals, their reach, and their autocanceling properties, so I don't have to use Thunder and Arcfire as a crutch and possibly get punished for committing to them. This, in effect, indirectly teaches me when to properly use Arcfire, when I won't get punished for it, and when to use a simple Thunder, and now I regularly use basic Thunder as a means to set momentum and retain it after a string.

How could this apply to Marth and Zamus? One thing I could think of is to not use any of Marth's Smash attacks, to get more wary of what Marth's aerials and tilts can do. Maybe try and force yourself to use more Ftilt, or more of a throw you don't regularly use, to see if you can find more followups or mentally pressuring situations. For Zamus, no Paralyzer. Learn what Zamus can do with her speed and what she can create herself, rather than fall on Paralyzer as a crutch to force openings.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Last edited:
Top Bottom