• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Hong

The Strongest
So which asset/flaw do you folks usually run?

I typically go Mag/Luk. The former can be replaced with Def from time to time, while the latter will only change if I am not planning to play DLC for that run.

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
I've beaten the normal mode with Mag/Str, so I just kept this now I'm trying lunatic. :ç

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I typically go Mag/Luk. The former can be replaced with Def from time to time, while the latter will only change if I am not planning to play DLC for that run.
The last few times I played Awakening, I went with Spd/Luk. I found the extra speed to be helpful, and it offered a fair amount of flexibility.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

+Magic and -Strength, personally. Much prefer using magic to swords.

Hong

The Strongest
I've beaten the normal mode with Mag/Str, so I just kept this now I'm trying lunatic. :ç
Still works out well in Lunatic, though I'd go with another con so Robin's children have more options.
The last few times I played Awakening, I went with Spd/Luk. I found the extra speed to be helpful, and it offered a fair amount of flexibility.
Speed is a strong one, particularly for the early game. Stops Robin from being doubled by a number of the early enemies, and will even allow her to more easily double in Ch 3 & 4 without needing a Sumia pairing.
+Magic and -Strength, personally. Much prefer using magic to swords.
If you intend to stay as a Grandmaster or use any of the magic classes, magic will generally prove superior to physical for Robin's hybrid str/mag classes. Usually people who care about Str intend to make Robin into an Assassin or something.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
Still works out well in Lunatic, though I'd go with another con so Robin's children have more options.

Speed is a strong one, particularly for the early game. Stops Robin from being doubled by a number of the early enemies, and will even allow her to more easily double in Ch 3 & 4 without needing a Sumia pairing.
If you intend to stay as a Grandmaster or use any of the magic classes, magic will generally prove superior to physical for Robin's hybrid str/mag classes. Usually people who care about Str intend to make Robin into an Assassin or something.
I like having the option to use both, so i just make my flaw HP or Luc or something. It's nice being able to use magic on strong Def enemies and then hit stong Res enemies with a sword, maybe it's just me. Also I like male Robin :p

IronFish

Smash Ace
Because unlike you idiots I don't reject reality.
Were not the ones rejecting reality, the leak isn't set in stone yet. We aren't just going to go home 'cus some guy said some people were playable, we're not pawns of some scripted fate. We believe we're more. Much more... There's something between us all. Something that keeps us together... Like...invisible ties, connecting us.

TLDR: "Don't ya put any stock in this destiny hogwash"

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Robin victory poses:
#1:
Sits there reading her tome, completely oblivious to the camera

#2:
Starts facing away from the camera and burning with dark flames, turns to the camera to show red eyes under the darkened cowl

#3:
Features Lissa who runs up to hug Robin, Chrom walks over and puts a hand on Robin's shoulder
Chrom: Good work!
Lissa: I knew you could do it!
Robin: Heh. Thanks, friends.

#3 alt:
Robin throws her sword into the air, spins and catches it before uttering a number of phrases.

"Now that's strategy!"
"Exactly as planned."
"Simple enough."
"For Chrom, Ylisse, and everyone I love... I won't let you down."

Fire Emblem victory themes:
Marth: Classic full orchestra.
Ike: Slower tempo, emphasis on percussion. Reflects the music for Greil Mercenaries in FE9.
Robin/Lucina/Chrom: Faster tempo version of the classic Fire Emblem theme that closes with the Awakening theme, like in the intro
I want. I want. Especially both #3's.

The last time I played as Robin, I think I set him up as Magic/Luck, because I wanted to make him a Magic Knight somehow.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
Because unlike you idiots I don't reject reality.
You aceepted gematsu as your lord and savior, didnt you?
Your not the one rejecting reality, the leak isn't set in stone yet. We aren't just going to go home 'cus some guy said some people were playable, we're not pawns of some scripted fate. We believe we're more. Much more... There's something between us all. Something that keeps us together... Like...invisible ties, connecting us.
You fool!Don't you understand! Your fate is already sealed!

Hong

The Strongest
Just a reminder:

1) Don't feed the trolls. Let them starve themselves
2) Not to call anyone out, but please don't instigate conflict with other character support threads.

I haven't seen anything horrible yet, but I just want to put this out there in advance. Thanks. :)

I like having the option to use both, so i just make my flaw HP or Luc or something. It's nice being able to use magic on strong Def enemies and then hit stong Res enemies with a sword, maybe it's just me. Also I like male Robin :p
Nah, 100% legit strategy.

My approach is to hold out for a Superior Tome against casters and a wind tome for fliers, but I'll admit there is still a lot of merit for carrying a sword. She is a hybrid class, after all.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Okay, this is actually kind of ironic. Chrom supporters and Robin supporters are on opposite sides, with the former deriding the latter as being unable to face what is written in stone.

Nothing against Chrom, in fact I kind of like him. But this is seriously weird.

Hong

The Strongest
Okay, this is actually kind of ironic. Chrom supporters and Robin supporters are on opposite sides, with the former deriding the latter as being unable to face what is written in stone.

I think this is awesome.

Toro Narihiro = Lucina
Satoru Iwata = Grima
Masahiro Sakurai = Validar
I have a robin related question for yall, if robin were to get alt skins from a jrpg protagonist from a non fe game, who would it be?

Ex:Erdrick
Female: Cornet Espoir
Male: Crono

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Really? This beautiful bit of irony has existed since Chrom and Robin support began, and you're only now realizing it? I mean, irony this good deserves recognition.

Also, I support a change in the Chrom thread's title. It's rather inaccurate.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428

I have run Str/Luk so far. But from what I heard in this last page, I might try Spd/Luk next time I play.

EDIT:
Narwalgod said:
I have a robin related question for yall, if robin were to get alt skins from a jrpg protagonist from a non fe game, who would it be?

Ex:Erdrick
Cloud (FF7) or Crono (Chrono Trigger) for male and Riesz/Lise (Seiken Densetsu 3) or Terra or Celes (FF6) for female.
Ramza from FFT or Max/Bowie from Shining Force I and II respectively would probably make a lot of sense, too, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
"Now I'm angry!"
"Your end has come!"
"This is it; our final battle."
"Think again!"
"Run all you like! You can't escape fate!"

This is the most accurate title possible, I think.

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
I think this is awesome.

Toro Narihiro = Lucina
Satoru Iwata = Grima
Masahiro Sakurai = Validar
Female: Cornet Espoir
Male: Crono
I actually imagined that in my head, and I laughed a lot.:joyful:

I'm a fan of the male Robin personally, regardless of the better choices. I'm also don't care too much about passing on weaknesses to Morgan and normally marry with Nowi :estatic:
However in my recent playtrough I married with Cornelia.

I always go for +Skill/-Luk, and I don't know why, I guess I love when my skills activate.

EDIT: Also I don't think I have made myself avaliable to support Robin! Please add me to your ranks!

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
if we are going on two character to be announced before launch I would say Chrom/Robin and Shulk are the two most likely ones

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I suppose the wording bothered me, it implies the Chrom is more ideal based on the sentiment that he is a Lord and Robin is an alternative choice, which is quite fallacious in and of itself given the source material or method by which he (Sakurai) selects characters.
I suppose my wording was imprecise - rather than use the term "reasonable", I should have used "expected".
Sometimes detractors of the Gematsu leak can be just as condescending as the supporters.
Um, yeah.
While you are out there waving a petition around which will have maybe 40 signatures, I'll be out there playing the game. Whether or not I am having a good time or not will be 100% inconsequential to whether or not Robin is a playable character.
You could have been less snide about it. Besides, the last sentence does not apply to me whatsoever - with or without Robin, I will find some form of enjoyment from the game. Where you got this generalization from, I do not know.

Let us just forget about the DLC campaign.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
if we are going on two character to be announced before launch I would say Chrom/Robin and Shulk are the two most likely ones
Would you settle for a Shulk that shoots Chroms and Robins?
You could have been less snide about it. Besides, the last sentence does not apply to me whatsoever - with or without Robin, I will find some form of enjoyment from the game. Where you got this generalization from, I do not know.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Chrom and Robin supporters standing on opposing sides? How do you think I feel? *slowly sinks out of sight*

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Chrom and Robin supporters standing on opposing sides? How do you think I feel? *slowly sinks out of sight*
I would say you should feel good about being able to see the appeal in either character. Most people, myself included, only align themselves on one side or the other. The fact that you can support both characters simultaneously is a rather good trait, I think.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
I would say you should feel good about being able to see the appeal in either character. Most people, myself included, only align themselves on one side or the other. The fact that you can support both characters simultaneously is a rather good trait, I think.
It's nice to actively support both characters, but then you get people on both sides at each other's throats. And that makes me sad.

...Now that I think about it, I guess I'm really just sad about a few fellow supporters arguing back and forth about Chrom and Robin in some of the worst possible ways.

Hong

The Strongest
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Both characters have the same chance of sucking as the other, so I'm indifferent. For all I know, Mr. Sakurai and his team has a vision for Chrom beyond our wildest dreams, and he will be the most fun and interesting newcomer. All the same, I can be as disappointed with Chrom as I were Ike, or meh like I am with Palutena... two characters I hold dear.

I share Arisato's sentiments. Can't we all just celebrate 15 years of Smash in harmony?

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's nice to actively support both characters, but then you get people on both sides at each other's throats. And that makes me sad.

...Now that I think about it, I guess I'm really just sad about a few fellow supporters arguing back and forth about Chrom and Robin in some of the worst possible ways.
I can sympathize with this. While I don't really like the idea of Chrom being playable, I hate seeing some of my fellow Robin supporters giving the Chrom supporters unnecessary grief. People should really be free to support characters without receiving hatred from those who dislike the character. Of course, that also goes for Chrom supporters/Gematsu believers who come here and insult us Robin supporters. I just find all this fighting to be really unnecessary and unpleasant.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
I said this quite a long time ago, but it is worth repeating; my only disappointment with Chrom will be Smash's continuation of the blue-haired, main-lord swordsmen stereotype with its playable characters; Fire Emblem deserves better than this. Imagine if the playable characters from Pokemon were only starters and nothing else. Otherwise, I envision a play-style that will be enjoyable, especially if creative inspiration dwells into Awakening's various skill-sets.

Oh, how the contentious disagreements turned from Chrom versus Roy to Chrom versus Robin. Chrom just does not get along with characters with the initial 'R', it seems.

Last edited:

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
Though it's definitely something that could be improved, I think the whole debating and arguing about the characters issue is an unavoidable, and necessary part of being in a community of passionate players and people. I'd much rather have little scuffles like we see from time to time here, than to lose that spark of care for what happens in the games that the smash community has. Not to dis indifference or neutrality on the subject either though, as I find myself to be largely neutral on which character I'd like to see included. I just think that though the back and forth can be annoying at times, it consists of that same drive that also leads people to positively push the hype and hope forward for each respective thread, for the most part. Sure, people could stand to be nicer about their support or disapprovals, but I don't have any other real complaints

Anyway, rant over, and back on topic:
I said this quite a long time ago, but it is worth repeating; my only disappointment with Chrom will be Smash's continuation of the blue-haired, main-lord swordsmen stereotype with its playable characters; Fire Emblem deserves better than this. Imagine if the playable characters from Pokemon were only starters and nothing else. Otherwise, I envision a play-style that will be enjoyable, especially if creative inspiration dwells into Awakening's various skill-sets.
Though I'm not the biggest fan with the stereotype either, I have faith that the development team is probably aware of such an issue, and in the event we get Chrom, they'll differentiate him from his fellow FE reps well. Kind of like between Ike and Marth. They have after all, mentioned they wan't to focus on having more unique movesets and such. And if we get Robin too/instead, we very likely will see some of that more varied Fire Emblem weapon representation, which would be great.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly see the appeal in Chrom myself; however, I am curious in regards to whether or not people would actually advocate for "Tactician" if he was a only a male with blue-hair by default, I suppose in this instance he would not have a female alternate. Would the magic aspect of his character be enough to accrue support? Or would he be in the same position where is "move-set potential" is attenuated by his aesthetics?

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I honestly see the appeal in Chrom myself; however, I am curious in regards to whether or not people would actually advocate for "Tactician" if he was a only a male with blue-hair by default, I suppose in this instance he would not have a female alternate. Would the magic aspect of his character be enough to accrue support? Or would he be in the same position where is "move-set potential" is attenuated by his aesthetics?
I personally would still prefer Robin, but less than I do now. Robin would still have the same amazing moveset potential but the visual difference helps a lot, too.
I think people in general would miss the female option the most.

Chepish

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chepish
3DS FC
2638-0438-3598
It's a fact, Chrom is gonna make it as a tactician wearing the bride class gown.

Hong

The Strongest

Oh, how the contentious disagreements turned from Chrom versus Roy to Chrom versus Robin. Chrom just does not get along with characters with the initial 'R', it seems.
This much is true.

I know I'll get shanked while I walk home for this, but even Ike bothered me.
Yes, I know he has visual contrast from Marth.
Yes, he is my favourite leading lord in the series.
Yes, he is a unique character.

But on a functional level? I rather have given his play style to someone from a different franchise. It's not worth the distortion of brand image to have even just two blue-haired swordsman when one of them could have been someone else. But now Ike is here, and I am happy and I love him. Especially now that he is visually updated, as he should have always been. Now that he's here, though, don't give us a character who literally builds upon what Ike started years ago. Not only is Chrom inspired by Ike, but he looks like a love-child between him and Marth.

You know, Fire Emblem has almost a dozen weapon classes, a wide variety of characters, a plethora of classes and a legacy of almost 25 years. Having Marth is great, because IMO I think he is an exceptional ambassador for the series. Ike is really getting into a murky territory, but in his defence he is adored by both veteran fans of the series and the developer alike. Now Chrom as well? That makes the brand image worse for people who haven't played the series, and an injustice for people who have played the series and have come to expect more.

And don't give me that "most lords are blue-haired male" rubbish. Roster diversity is important, and there are still a massive gallery of characters who are either leads, important, or recurring throughout the franchise.
can't we all just get along ;-;
This is war, son.

Nah, I'm kidding.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
In terms of series representation, this does bring into question - why aren't there any Fire Emblem-inspired items (as of yet), especially for a series as well-endowed with weapons as it is? For instance, magical tomes can already creatively inspire a varietal array of mechanisms, such as Nosferatu as a health-absorber, or Rexcalibur as an effective edge-guarder, or Micaiah's Pyre as a ranged projectile with multiple usages. The possibilities are boundless, and there are plenty of other examples.

If there can be item implementation from the Pikmin universe but not Fire Emblem, then I will be dumbfounded.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
In terms of series representation, this does bring into question - why aren't there any Fire Emblem-inspired items (as of yet), especially for a series as well-endowed with weapons as it is? For instance, magical tomes can already creatively inspire a varietal array of mechanisms, such as Nosferatu as a health-absorber, or Rexcalibur as an effective edge-guarder, or Micaiah's Pyre as a ranged projectile with multiple usages. The possibilities are boundless.

If there can be item implementation from the Pikmin universe but not Fire Emblem, then I will be dumbfounded.
Maybe rock pikmin will be an item and have bonslai(?) Knockback, as Fire Emblem I'm not sure

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In terms of series representation, this does bring into question - why aren't there any Fire Emblem-inspired items (as of yet), especially for a series as well-endowed with weapons as it is? For instance, magical tomes can already creatively inspire a varietal array of mechanisms, such as Nosferatu as a health-absorber, or Rexcalibur as an effective edge-guarder, or Micaiah's Pyre as a ranged projectile with multiple usages. The possibilities are boundless, and there are plenty of other examples.

Why aren't there any Fire Emblem items? I don't know, but I always got the feeling that Sakurai doesn't care too much for Fire Emblem. It doesn't have a good history of being well-represented.

But I think there are a ton of possibilities for an item. Ideally something magic based like a time or a staff, which could offer a variety of unique functions and could show off the diversity of the series just a little bit more. I swear, if we get a sword for a Fire Emblem item...

Top Bottom