• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Seems as good a time as any to bring up something from the other day that got overlooked:

This just in: The K. Rool thread is laying the groundwork for a campaign to have him be a DLC character should he not be in the vanilla game in any form. Perhaps we should set up something similar so we have a head start on most of the competition if it comes down to DLC?

I like the name Operation Invisible Ties, personally...

IronFish

Smash Ace
It's so hard waiting for smash, least Nintendo could do would be release a game to occupy me over the summer... Maybe I should just play EarthBound again...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's really not much to talk about right now, so no one is chatting in these topics. Robin's the best pick from FE, Chrom would be a waste, blah blah, we know that already. We've talked to death over all these things. The only topic that actively pushes forward is the Ridley topic, and that's because they just chat about Ridley in general and not necessarily on the subject of him as a Smash character (since they've got as much news as we have).

Same for the K. Rool topic.

Morbi

Scavenger
If Chrom is indeed a playable character (and it is highly likely, if not almost certain, he is), then we'd best "pick a god and pray" the next marketable Fire Emblem Lord completely differentiates him/herself from the established blue-haired, main-lord swordsmen we are long accustomed to within Smash Brothers. Otherwise, a playable Fire Emblem character with uniquely-inspired specialties (as in readily apparent with appearance, weaponry, etc.) will never see the light of day.

While Chrom is not a terrible choice, per se (he is among the most reasonable suggestions), there are far more well-advised alternatives, and Robin is the outstanding example - Sakurai seems content, however, to maintain the status quo. It is a shame.

If I can make a suggestion, we should head up a DLC campaign for Robin just in case (if DLC characters are a reality). It would not hurt to try, even if we have to contend with Roy or Lucina.

EDIT: I am keeping my expectations reasonably low so as to not be disappointed with the inevitable outcome. Nonetheless, if we get an early head-start on DLC campaigning, we have a distinct advantage of constructing the foundation for highly-popular requests before all the other fan-bases do for their characters. If Robin is in this game already, then great. If not, then let us prepare for much-needed change.
No character choice is inherently terrible, "per se." It also depends on what one defines as reasonable; given the precedent available to us, I would argue that Robin is more "reasonable." However, that notion is obviously subjective, and therefore not debatable. I suppose the wording bothered me, it implies the Chrom is more ideal based on the sentiment that he is a Lord and Robin is an alternative choice, which is quite fallacious in and of itself given the source material or method by which he (Sakurai) selects characters.

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, we've pretty much covered everything there is to talk about with Robin. Not saying that this thread should just die off completely, but we should probably move to the next phase by starting up Operation: Invisible Ties for our campaign.

As an avatar type character, it's pretty surprising that we've carried this for as long as we have (although there's a good deal of off-topic discussion that goes on). There's just not too much else to talk about. Characters like Ridley have things a bit differently, and I'm sure you can imagine why.

So rather than go around in circles with discussion, I think it'll be best to start preparing the campaign.

EDIT - We could have a social group made (or probably just start a conversation) with the posters we have here to discuss other things (Kermit, Wii Board, all the other things we like to blab on about) that are off-topic. Mainly saying this because it would suck to see our thread locked up (not sure if that would happen, but you can never be too safe). But yeah, campaign time. Woot.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah, we've pretty much covered everything there is to talk about with Robin. Not saying that this thread should just die off completely, but we should probably move to the next phase by starting up Operation: Invisible Ties for our campaign.

As an avatar type character, it's pretty surprising that we've carried this for as long as we have (although there's a good deal of off-topic discussion that goes on). There's just not too much else to talk about. Characters like Ridley have things a bit differently, and I'm sure you can imagine why.

So rather than go around in circles with discussion, I think it'll be best to start preparing the campaign.
I am not entirely sure what this "campaign" entails; I was in the K. Rool thread reading the page where they supposedly discussed it and I did not really find anything pertinent to what we should do; however, I was skimming, so that is most certainly the reason. If we intend to do something similar, would you mind just asserting what it is that we have to do?

Albeit, I am not entirely confident in DLC when we have Mr. Fan Favorite and Mrs. Easy Semi-Clone to compete with.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Robin is still a Lord, though, this is something that always bugs me. A character is still of the "Lord" archetype even if they don't have the Lord class so long as they are mandatory central characters to the game and cannot die in any chapter they appear in or else it will result in a game over. They do not inherently need to be mandatory in every chapter, but still central characters to the game as a whole.

Its also quite interesting because Ridley and King K. Rool are recurring, major iconic Nintendo villains who have appeared in most games in their franchise (hell, both have only been absent in 1-3 games in the series). Robin is currently the third biggest newcomer thread (might've even passed Mewtwo, a veteran, making Robin the third-biggest in general), but has only appeared in one game to date (unless you argue that Robin, Kris, and Mark are the same character getting shifted around time and space, every time with amnesia). That's a pretty big feat if I do say so myself.

Morbi

Scavenger
Robin is still a Lord, though, this is something that always bugs me. A character is still of the "Lord" archetype even if they don't have the Lord class so long as they are mandatory central characters to the game and cannot die in any chapter they appear in or else it will result in a game over. They do not inherently need to be mandatory in every chapter, but still central characters to the game as a whole.

Its also quite interesting because Ridley and King K. Rool are recurring, major iconic Nintendo villains who have appeared in most games in their franchise (hell, both have only been absent in 1-3 games in the series). Robin is currently the third biggest newcomer thread (might've even passed Mewtwo, a veteran, making Robin the third-biggest in general), but has only appeared in one game to date (unless you argue that Robin, Kris, and Mark are the same character getting shifted around time and space, every time with amnesia). That's a pretty big feat if I do say so myself.
Is that objective fact? Or subjective opinion? I have quite literally never heard that sentiment, a character is a Lord if they are mandatory (but not mandatory) and prominent to the story?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I am not entirely sure what this "campaign" entails; I was in the K. Rool thread reading the page where they supposedly discussed it and I did not really find anything pertinent to what we should do; however, I was skimming, so that is most certainly the reason. If we intend to do something similar, would you mind just asserting what it is that we have to do?

Albeit, I am not entirely confident in DLC when we have Mr. Fan Favorite and Mrs. Easy Semi-Clone to compete with.
I'm not entirely sure of things myself, but I have started thinking about it due to @ Delzethin Delzethin bringing it up. It'll also give us something productive to do regarding the character we're supporting.

Hong

The Strongest
Um, yeah.

While you are out there waving a petition around which will have maybe 40 signatures, I'll be out there playing the game. Whether or not I am having a good time or not will be 100% inconsequential to whether or not Robin is a playable character.

Morbi

Scavenger
Um, yeah.

While you are out there waving a petition around which will have maybe 40 signatures, I'll be out there playing the game. Whether or not I am having a good time or not will be 100% inconsequential to whether or not Robin is a playable character.
I suppose we just want to support Robin in the Robin support thread. I am glad that you will have fun without Robin, so will I. However, I certainly prefer that one of the characters that I actually like gets in the game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Is that objective fact? Or subjective opinion? I have quite literally never heard that sentiment, a character is a Lord if they are mandatory (but not mandatory) and prominent to the story?
They're mandatory characters in several chapters usually, required to join the party and central to the storyline. Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood are all Lords by class obviously, but they aren't required in every chapter. They are all required in extremely plot-important chapters, though, and their deaths result in gameovers the entire game. Micaiah and Ike are both similar, except they're required in every chapter they are playable in and don't have the Lord class (Ike promotes to Lord in POR), and Cellica and Alm are both Lords as well.

Although, checking it over, Robin/Lucina AREN'T requiring for the Final Battle? That's a suprise. Hmm...

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I swear every time i see you, you're profile pic gets harder and harder to distinguish.
I change avatars once a week.
Um, yeah.

Meh. I never intended to actually be out and about gathering signatures. It's more so just doing something else in this thread. Whether or not anything actually happens is up to everyone here. Everyone here should and will probably still have fun with the game throughout its lifespan regardless.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Um, yeah.

It's not that SSB4 wouldn't be worth playing without Robin, but wouldn't everyone here agree that it'd be that much more incredible of a game?

It wouldn't need to be a direct petition; more a way of showing the fan desire is there. We'd could bring together everyone who supports Robin, rallying them under the same banner, and then spreading word in a positive way of why Robin would be such an awesome character for Smash so that others might also join us. If it gets large enough, the developers couldn't help but take notice if/when they start making DLC. Like a lower-level Operation Rainfall, kind of.

And maybe some graphical stuff, too, if we can find someone with skill in graphic design. Icons, signature banners, maybe some images done in the style of slide guides that show off how some of Robin's moves could work...

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Because Robin being in there, the game being developed around that character, and development energy/time/money being spent on Robin instead of someone else before release is several times more valuable than Robin being added in post release.

No one here knows what the roster will be like. We don't know if Robin will fulfill any function that a character already present cannot fulfill. We don't know what shortcomings the product has that will make DLC valuable. If we for some reason had Isaac, Celica, and Leif in the game, would Robin still be valuable? What if there is an immense absence of rushdown characters, or other roles that Robin cannot fulfill? If you compare it to Chrom, at least the majority can agree there is little value in his inclusion, especially if someone like Shulk will be in place.

And no, the Robin thread will still have plenty of discussion from now until release without the petition. I'll be shocked if we have anything less than 150 pages, maybe even over 200. Whether or not people will stick around a month past post release won't be helped with a social group, since the majority of you will probably be gone regardless. Especially with how much people are obsessing over the roster versus the gameplay.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Honestly, I'm not feeling it with an extra support site for Robin as DLC.
Don't get me wrong, I like the sentiment but I highly doubt it would change anything unless it blew up super huge. And even then it might not change anything.

Maybe it's also because it kinda feels like an admission of defeat. While I realize that the Awakening representative will probably be Chrom, I still think Robin has a reasonable chance and don't feel like already pushing him for DLC "just in case".

And call me crazy, but isn't this thread already the English speaking "Robin for Smash 4" support site? We could just as well save us some work and just link to the first post here instead of creating something new that might not even get as much exposition.

Also I agree with what Hong just said while I wrote this.
There will be more discussion, it's just a slow few days right now. And 1-2 new pages a day isn't really slow anyways ;)

Hokori

Great King of Evil
...I guess I'm obviously not on the same page as everyone else. Anything that was potentially going to be happening with Robin, I expected it to take place here, not on a brand new site or anything else :psycho:

Oh well. I'm just gonna stay away for at least a few days.

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.
Because Robin being in there, the game being developed around that character, and development energy/time/money being spent on Robin instead of someone else before release is several times more valuable than Robin being added in post release.

No one here knows what the roster will be like. We don't know if Robin will fulfill any function that a character already present cannot fulfill. We don't know what shortcomings the product has that will make DLC valuable. If we for some reason had Isaac, Celica, and Leif in the game, would Robin still be valuable? What if there is an immense absence of rushdown characters, or other roles that Robin cannot fulfill? If you compare it to Chrom, at least the majority can agree there is little value in his inclusion, especially if someone like Shulk will be in place.

And no, the Robin thread will still have plenty of discussion from now until release without the petition. I'll be shocked if we have anything less than 150 pages, maybe even over 200. Whether or not people will stick around a month past post release won't be helped with a social group, since the majority of you will probably be gone regardless. Especially with how much people are obsessing over the roster versus the gameplay.
Hong you seem madder than usual...

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
I think what killed Chrom was Ike coming back I mean Ike is cool but with Ike Chrom can't do a good role as the new Ike IMO and Robin can give so much more to the game by being a jack of all trades like he is in the games

Edit: plus like we said before Shulk would be the better choice for the new swords fighter in the game then Chrom would because he has some gimmicks and interesting ways to use him unlike Chrom who would feel like either a clone of Ike or be a middle class between Ike and Marth.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Hey, she didn't kill anyone. She just blocked them to death.

Last edited:

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
it sucks that we got to wait for more info we don't know E3 while awesome makes the next 2-4 weeks feel dull lol

Hong

The Strongest
In any event, I would be so bold as to say we could have as many as two new characters revealed before release. Mr. Sakurai claims that he intends to have a trailer for every newcomer. I am not so silly as to take everything so literally, but I do expect to see more none-the-less.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In any event, I would be so bold as to say we could have as many as two new characters revealed before release. Mr. Sakurai claims that he intends to have a trailer for every newcomer. I am not so silly as to take everything so literally, but I do expect to see more none-the-less.
That is true, but does it mean that every newcomer must be revealed before release? I'd anticipate that any unannounced newcomers will have a trailer shown off for them when they are unlocked in-game.

Hong

The Strongest
That is true, but does it mean that every newcomer must be revealed before release? I'd anticipate that any unannounced newcomers will have a trailer shown off for them when they are unlocked in-game.
Well, I certainly expect more than two newcomers. :)

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I didn't mean we needed to start a movement right now, just that we could work on a plan for if starting one became a viable idea in a few months. That way we'd be out of the gate faster, so to speak, and have an edge on other characters should there be a very limited number of spots.

Anyway, I'm hoping there're still more newcomers other than the Gematsu Trio. If there are, then we'll probably get a reveal in a Direct in August-ish.

And if they really wanted to throw the fans for a loop, they could deliberately reveal a character that wasn't in the leak. Depends on how much they care about that kind of thing, though. /shrug

Last edited:

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
Sakurai said that? When?

I'mjustcuriouspleasedon'tkillme...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, I certainly expect more than two newcomers. :)
Yeah. I was just clarifying. I'd be surprised if we only had 2-3 newcomers left. I'm anticipating at least one more pre-release newcomer and at least 3-4 secret newcomers.

Hong

The Strongest
Anyway, I'm hoping there're still more newcomers other than the Gematsu Trio. If there are, then we'll probably get a reveal in a Direct in August-ish.
Personally I feel that the leak is only partially correct and current, so I would be more surprised if all three are present than if they weren't.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'm tired of people going to the renaming 3's threads and congratulating them like the characters were already confirmed... I mean all that happened is their names were in a leak. "Not wrong yet" is kinda flawed logic, I could say that their are purple aliens with feet for eyes, and look lake Abe Lincoln besides the feet eyes, who live on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. You can't disprove me, therefore I'm right.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm tired of people going to the renaming 3's threads and congratulating them like the characters were already confirmed... I mean all that happened is their names were in a leak. "Not wrong yet" is kinda flawed logic, I could say that their are purple aliens with feet for eyes, and look lake Abe Lincoln besides the feet eyes, who live on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri. You can't disprove me, therefore I'm right.
Agreed. They're not confirmed until they're announced. The only leaked newcomer I thought was pretty much set was Shulk, and now looking at Xenoblade Chronicles X, I'm not even sure he's set anymore since Sakurai might decide to pick a character who appears in both games (if a character appears in both) rather than just pick the first character that comes to mind.

I believe the leak is legit but outdated, and anything could've changed. The only "updated" piece of info he got was the name for Mii Fighters, and he could've gotten that months ago, doesn't mean a thing about any of the other information.

Although... I don't recall anyone "congratulating" people in the other topics. At least not in the Shulk one since I'm following that one. I still think Robin's got a great chance, and as I've stated before, I originally supported anyone other than Chrom, now I'm actively supporting Robin. So yeah. :D

Top Bottom