• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

Coaxial cable

Smash Apprentice
For sure, Kirby is the most disgusting character, and would have to be at the top of any tier list. Then it's a close call between Pikachu, Ness, and Fox.

Pikachu's got a lot of aerial priority, and amazing recovery. Also, his grab is among the fastest, with a long-distance throw to match.

Ness' third jump is pitiful in all honesty, but his yo-yo and grabbing/throwing capabilites are a force to be reckoned with. Coupled with that nasty spike and a reflecting homerun bat, he's surely in the running for top tier.

Fox is your all around good character. His throw's aren't the best, and his recovery leaves somewhat to be desired, also having no 'real' spike (shining seems to work well, however) are all drawbacks. His footspeed, rivaled only by Cpt. Falcon (who runs circles around anybody), and his simply sickening down smash, along with juggling and arguably the most useful ranged attack in SSB64, he's lookin' pretty good in my book.

So, the top tier would have to consist of Kirby, and I'm going to go with Ness. This of course makes Fox and Pikachu top of the upper tier.

Also considered for upper tier would be Link, and Yoshi.

My reasons for this are good ones.

Yoshi. I realize Yoshi's not much of a crowd favorite, but he's got a lot of potential. Lacking a third jump is compensated by having that annoyingly uninteruptable second, egg throwing is dirty, great spike, best of the three ranged grabs, minihop+dair tears stuff up, (especially DK), best shield in the game, great rolls, up tilt has amazing priority, decent run speed.

Link is a tank, but he's slower than most characters. He's more than capable of fighting at a distance, and has the only disjointed hitbox. Horrible recovery, but he's got excellent throws and is very heavy. You just can't argue with his uair, it has enormous priority and knockback. Boomerang can be thrown to hit like twelve different places from any position, making it extremely versatile. He's Link for crying out loud! He's the Hero of Time! That's worth big points.

In all honesty, though, (in order) Fox, Pikachu, Yoshi, and Link are my upper tier.

Lower tier, We have Cpt. Falcon, Jigglypuff, Mario, Luigi, DK, and Samus left to choose from.

Samus tops the lower tier: Good recovery, amazing spike, great aerial priority, POWERFUL throws (although the grab is hard to land) great rolls, nigh-unstoppable up+b, and let's face it; Samus is a babe.

Cpt. Falcon. He runs the fastest. His spike is slightly delayed, where most in SSB64 are not. Great up+b attack, uair is to be respected. Hind throw is good. Rolling is poor. lacks any range, but is fast enough to compensate. All in all, good character, but not really up to par.

Jigglypuff. The little ball of fury kicks some serious trash. Jigglypuff has NO RANGE, but makes up for it with HUGE priority. Pound has all-powerful priority; don't mess with it. Nice horizontal recovery, but NO vertical. Simply amazing edgeguard. Hind throw being near-horizontal means buisiness. Dair has good priority and can easily be combined with a Rest for an easy KO. Bair, again good priority and knockback isn't bad. I wish I could put Jigglypuff in a higher tier, but his recovery is just too easy to abuse. Plus taunting with Jigglypuff is simply priceless. This can draw ANYONE into a blind rage.

Luigi can recover from almost anything, and his throws are sound. Good rolling range/speed, amazing priority/range on his forward smash/up smash, great tilts, and the only damaging taunt in the game.

Mario. A lot like Luigi. He's a bit lighter on his feet, and can't jump as high. Throws are good, grabs are good. Recovery not as good. Horribly long taunt. Nice uair. Up smash and down smash are very good. Also nice tilts. Mario is a very sound character, but he doesn't do any one thing remarkably well. Again, should be higher on the list.

That's all for the lower tier.

DK makes up the very lonely and shameful bottom tier.

The guy's far to big a target, and has absolutely no vertical recovery to speak of. His grabs/throws are excellent, but he falls short in melee comabt with most anyone. Dig the tie, however. A shame he wasn't better designed.

Once more for the viewers at home:

**TOP TIER**
Kirby
Ness

**UPPER TIER**
Fox
Pikachu
Yoshi
Link

**LOWER TIER**
Samus
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Luigi
Mario

**BOTTOM TIER**
Donkey Kong

Just a note, I have been playing SSB64 almost nonstop since it came out 6 years ago. I have two brothers that play with me and I have a lot of experience with a lot about the game. However, I am biased and stubborn, so you don't have to accept my tier list if you don't want to.

U-Dog

Smash Apprentice
that teir list isnt bad tho there might be a mid range teir
from ur list it would look like this

top:
kirby
ness

upper:
fox
pikachu
yoshi
link [hes a tank ROFL XD]

mid:
samus
luigi

lower:
c.fal
JP
mario

bottom:
DK

Coaxial cable

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I realize that mine was in need of some tweaking, but all in all I think it's not far off.
I'll look it over again and see if I can't spot any adjustments that yet need to be made.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
About Ness:

Ness has top tier offense but low tier recovery, this is why he's a dark horse character. Kirby and Pikachu have exceelent, priority, range, versatility recovery, everything... which is why he's top tier.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
I like your list, Coaxial Cable. Just a question and comment from me.

What did you mean when you said Link is the only one with a disjointed hitbox?

Mario's taunt can be taunt-cancelled. Not that it matters.

Trespayne

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trespayne
I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

*TOP*
Kirby
ness
pikachu

*MIDDLE*
Captain Falcon
link
Fox
Yoshi
Samus

*BOTTOM*
Jiggly Puff
Luigi
Mario
Donkey Kong

Kirby is amazing and fox is over rated. I have seen Link played tremendously so I put him higher than most did.

MaijinLuu

Smash Cadet
OK.......this is what I think:

Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Kirby

MIDDLE
Link
Fox
Mario
Jigglypuff

BOTTOM
Samus
DK
Luigi
Yoshi

MaijinLuu

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah.........by the way, why the hell is Kirby a bada$$ on SSB 64 but sucks the big one on SSBM? Weird....................

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
MaijinLuu said:
Oh yeah.........by the way, why the hell is Kirby a bada$$ on SSB 64 but sucks the big one on SSBM? Weird....................
I know. :( HAL knew they made him too broken and when they tried to m=balance him in SSBM they neutered him. :urg:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
top:
kirby
pikachu
ness

Kirby: uber dash attack, powerful, best jumper in game, fast, amazing throw combo's, and amazing spike
Pikachu: great smash, great throw combo's, fast....really fast, amazing recovery
Ness: amazing smashes, amazing spike, greatest air game ever

Mid:
Fox
MArio
C. Falcon
Yoshi
DK
Jiggs
Samus

Fox: fast, decent grab game, projectile is decent
Mario: very well balance, decent smashes, great air game, dash attack is great too
C. Falcon: fast, great smashes, decent air game, heavy
Yoshi: air jump= no knock back, great aireal game, ok smashes, heavy
DK: great range, cargo throw, horizontal recovery is amazing, heaviest in game
Jiggs: floaty, multiple jumps like kirby, ok air game, down b is decent
Samus: floaty, awkward recovery

Bottom:
Link
Luigi

Link: horrible throw game, bad recovery, slow
Luigi: floaty, horrid dash attack, just like mario but lighter and floatier

JigglyPuF

Smash Rookie
Here is the low down:
The "A" characters(those that could win a tourny no matter what level selected):
Pikachu
Ness
Kirby
Jigglypuff
Fox
"B"
DK
Falcon
Mario
Samus
Yoshi
"C"
Link
Luigi

I moved jigglypuff up because she has best combos in game.
I moved fox up becuase all you have to do is abuse throw and air juggles and he has really good down a smash.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
I still hold that all characters in Smash are relatively equal, with little enough difference between them that they cannot be accurately tiered. Personal tiers make sense, in that someone is better with certain characters than others, but if people of comperable skill level duel, there will really still be a 50-50 chance of winner. On the battle reports on my personal N64, all characters have between 6% and 10% winning percentages, with the higher numbers being my partner's favorite character and mine.

Probably a pointless statement, but there you go.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

Meleemaster5000

Smash Apprentice
heres what i say...

Captain Falcon
Kirby
Ness

MIDDLE
Fox
Pikachu
Mario
Luigi

BOTTOM
DK
Link
Yoshi
Samus
JigglyPuff

Let me no if u think they are right

SheerMadness

Smash Master
None

Middle
Luigi
Mario
DK
Link
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ness
Yoshi
Kirby
Fox
Pikachu
Jigglypuff

Bottom
None

TRIFORCE_LEGEND

Smash Rookie
all of u have very good points...but dosen't the truth really rely on the reaction time on all players...for ex: ganondorf is slow but I seen him pick off top players fast one in tournaments and in other places..the throwing and special moves to me depends on how the person plays...know one plays the same but theres olny one way to determine this is to have a royale...

By the way who r ur favorite charaters and have any of u entering the tournaments starting in august...

Do any of u live in New York or know of NINTENDO WORLD
www.nintendoworld.com
check it out
by the way link and marth r my favorite characters

iF U GOT AIM HIT ME UP OR TELL ME ASK FOR MINE IF U WANT IT
I ALSO GOT ARES AND GOT A ROOM BASE ON SMASH BROS AND NINTENDO STUFF(if this is wrong i'm sorry about listing this)

P.S. HAPPY SMASHING

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Meleemaster5000 said:
heres what i say...

Captain Falcon
Kirby
Ness

MIDDLE
Fox
Pikachu
Mario
Luigi

BOTTOM
DK
Link
Yoshi
Samus
JigglyPuff

Let me no if u think they are right
There should be a 4th section for DK, Link, and Samus. Yoshi and Jiggly have exceelent offense and decent recover at least.

pastEvil

Smash Rookie
Top all mostly I masterd Capt F, falco, marth, pichu. but theres no more to master? #8'/

CoolMeXV

Smash Cadet
There are no true tiers. There is no "best" character. If there was, this game would suck. I'm best with Fox, while many people are best with Kirby or Samus. It's just like Melee: it's all dependant on the individual player's style. Also, every character counters a couple of other characters (with the exception of Mario whom is just plain balanced.)

Tmnt1837

Smash Cadet

Kirby - all around greatness
Pikachu - great combo abilities, fast,
Ness - great power, throw, his jumps, throw people off, smash attacks are great
fox - great speed, juggle, recovery, reflector

Middle

Yoshi - heavy, good jump, decent spike
Mario - well balanced and a balenced guy is always middle
C. Falcon - fast, good smashes
DK - best spike in the game imo, heavey,
Jiggs - next to fox the best juggler in the game very underestimated, too light

Low

Samus - good charge shot screw attack is good and upward flame is most powerful move in hte game but slow and throw is terrible in a gmae of throws
Luigi - just a bad mario with a worse jump
link - bad recovery, bad throw, bad triple yeah if you are skilled with him you can kill anyone but isn't that true with every character.

KillaChopstix

Smash Rookie
Nero said:
What is a general, well accepted Tier layout for Super Smash Bros? I'm guessing it's something like:

[1v1 only (FFA would be diff)]
-TOP-
Pikachu
Kirby
Ness

-MIDDLE-
DK
Yoshi
Mario
Fox
JigglyPuff

-LOW-
Link
Lugi
Samus

Debatable i guess.
fox is top tier for sure, DK is low tier just because he's too slow but in the right hands he *****, and luigi? low tier? in the right hands luigi can be devastating, other than that i agree w/ the list mostly altho there could b a few changes here n there

Metà

Smash Master
SLaKKiCHu said:
As much as I love putting Ness to good use and feel that on the platform he is one of the best, most prioritized characters; off the platform, he is too often a sitting duck. That lengthy third jump makes him a target for a decent player, no matter what your skill level may be (That PK Thunder only moves so fast).

I suppose I'll add my current list is some semblance of an order:

Pikachu
Fox
Kirby

On these top two, I am a bit conflicted. Their overall speed, power and throwing ability are close enough. The real question is the third jump. Fox's does damage yet Pikachu's is considerably faster.

Middle

Ness
Mario
DK
Captain Falcon
Yoshi
JigglyPuff
Samus

If not for their lame [or absent] third jumps, I'd have rated Falcon and Yoshi higher. I'll probably catch some **** from this from the vets but the truth is Jigglypuff is more a novel character in my opinion than a truly effective one. All in all, the Puff falls a little short in my opinion.

Bottom

Luigi
Link

I honestly can't decide which I like least. It's hard to think that Luigi, a character that falls only slightly short of Mario in most catagories should be rated so low, but I guess that's the nature of Smash. All in all, the characters are well-rounded enough that slight differences appear not so slight through gameplay. Link, while having redeeming qualities such as power and high attack priority is bogged down far too much by lack of speed and lack of a decent third jump.

Also! For those of you who feel the urge to contribute to this topic, I welcome it. However, you MUST include the reasoning for your decision in your post. If you don't, I will be kinda mad...
I hope you guys all know that Ness is generally considered to be the best in the game (along with Kirby and Pikachu). Ness has an instantaneous spike that instantly kills anyone regardless of their damage when they're off the stage. He also has some of the best grabs and long range. Not to mention his killer F-smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Top:
Pikachu
Kirby
Ness
Fox

Middle:
Captain Falcon
Mario
Samus
Yoshi
Donkey Kong

Bottom:
Luigi
Link

Since I have played as the computer-only characters, this is my tier list...

Giant Donkey Kong
Metal Mario
Master Hand
Fighting Polygons are the same as the normal.

scottyso

Smash Cadet
Here is my list - it might be a bit of a repeaet but I have played tons and tons of this game and I feel pretty confident in this list

TOP -
fox
DK
falcon
pikachu
kirby
ness

middle -
samus
yoshi
link
jigglypuff
mario

low-
luigi

IMO the most imortant aspect is overall speed. fox's fast sprint, thrown , and roll plus his laser and reflect make him DEF a top tier character. DK has a slower sprint and roll, but he has a fantastic grab (very fast, very powerful, plus his ability to walk and jump before throwing) as well as a spike (somewhat hard to use but once you get it down its deadly, esp for mind games) and overall power. i think falcon is the fastest sprinter, plus his good throws set up some nice combos (my fav falcon move is forward throw, double jump and then B-up falcon grab, works 80% of the time. he also has power in his falcon punch and fsmash. pikachu is another fast character with some power (great fsmash) and a very quick double jump. his backthrow is also great IMO. kirby is possibly the most deadly char. his 5 jumps plus his drill spike and his b-up move make him THE SUPREME EDGE-GAURDER. he has a slower roll but has a nice throw. ness is the last guy I put in top tier . he is very hard to master but once you do, he is debatably the best player in the game. very powerful throws, very good distance on his jumps , very powerful moves (fsmash). a bit slow, esp in the air, but very solid.

phrozted

Smash Rookie
Nero pretty much hit everything on the head, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand the obsession with Captain Falcon being in the top tier. If he is, he's at the very bottom of the top tier, but he has far too many dead moves and problems for him to justifiably be there. He has a slow roll, a dead B (unless in the air when the opponent still stunned), and I'm not wild about his throw.

He's a great character, don't get me wrong, but in no way, and under no circumstances, is he above Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, or Ness.

Top:

Kirby
Pikachu
Fox / Ness

I'm more interested about relative character strength, though.

Which characters seem to counter each other? Which are best against others?

What character beats Pikachu best? Kirby?

And sorry, to the last poster, DK has no place in the top tier, and certainly not as number two, or even below Fox, for that matter. A) He's worse than Fox, B) He's worse than a ton of other characters, C) Fox shouldn't even be the top, either. That list is all wrong, bud.

The game is about keeping people off the map, pure and simple. The characters that can do that best are those with the best edge-guarding techniques, which Fox just doesn't have. He has great other moves, which definitely put him in the top, but they aren't enough to make him the best in the game.

Example. A half *** Kirby player knocks Fox off the map--a single well-placed drill spikes him before anything can be done. Fox can't compete in that league, and is similarly weak against Pikachu.

Couple this with the fact that Kirby also happens to have the best returning ability in the game, by the way, and you can easily see why Kirby makes the top of most lists--he keeps you off better than anyone else, and he gets back better than anyone else. In a game about being knocked off the map, he wins.

DK, in a similar fashion, is absolutely ***** by edge-guarding. He's easy to kill, period.

Like, this is really quite silly. What I'm seeing here is a bunch of people who obviously have strange emotional, habitually developed attachments (maybe based on personality association, whatever) to their favorite characters, and these people are then trying to "come to the rescue" of these characters by trying to explain why they're the best.

That's not very logical. I don't much like Kirby. I hate his play-style, his look, his old Nintendo games, everything about him, actually, but I don't have any particular aversion to admitting that he's the best.

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
MY Tier List

Since there is a SSB craze at my school now, I have a pretty good idea at who's best, etc.

Top:
Pikachu
Kirby
Fox/Ness

Mid:
Samus
Captain Falcon
DK
Jigglypuff
Mario

Low:
Luigi
Link (If he had any type of jump, he'd be higher... either that or I'm really good w/ him)

phrozted

Smash Rookie
Kirby is better than Pikachu in more matchups. Pikachu may beat Kirby, but that's not sufficient to make him a better character overall.

Samus will never be mid-game without a viable throw.

Mario is mediocre. He deserves the bottom tier.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
phrozted said:
Kirby is better than Pikachu in more matchups. Pikachu may beat Kirby, but that's not sufficient to make him a better character overall.

Samus will never be mid-game without a viable throw.

Mario is mediocre. He deserves the bottom tier.
Mediocre = Bottom? Makes no sense to me.

Awful = Bottom Like DK, Link, Samus

Mario can combo many characters like Pika and Kirby from 0% to death. Not saying Mario is better than them but he has a chance of winning than a bottom tier does.

Haze01

Smash Apprentice
HyperFalcon said:
Since I have played as the computer-only characters, this is my tier list...

Giant Donkey Kong
Metal Mario
Master Hand
Fighting Polygons are the same as the normal.
I could be mistaken, but I thought the Fighting Polygons lacked B-button moves. That could drastically change their order on a tier list.

Mind you, the way your list is would probably work if that was the case anyway.

Oh, and you have Yoshi on there twice.

Georgio

Smash Rookie
Link CAN fight a shield

Link can use his bombs to get around shields. Land one in front of them and you are in the clear. Besides this, he can also just hang back from a shielder and let them come to him once they get tired of being pummelled by bombs and rangs.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Everyone who thinks Fox is top tier is a n00b.

Best tier list posted so far was from Slakkichu. Samus may or may not be bottom, it's debatable. But everyone else is where they belong.

rustybeard01

Smash Rookie
M3D, Slakkichu didn't even have Ness in the top tier. Grant it ness does have a bad third jump. But his down A is easiliy the best move in the game. His second jump has a great range that can be very un predictable and can also bring him back from a decently far or low distance. I don;t dare put ness above kirby. I won't comment on pikachu because i have never really seen first hand why people place him so hogh. I do see that he is very hard to edge gaurd and is also a good edge guarder himself. But does he have a spike that i have forgotten about?

nookrulz

Smash Ace
I'd say the consensus tier list woud look something like this (coincidentally, how I'd rank them)

---
Kirby
Pikachu
Ness

MIDDLE
---
Fox
Mario
Jigglypuff
Donkey Kong
Captain Falcon
Yoshi

BOTTOM
---
Samus
Link
Luigi

The middle four are very much up for debate (Mario through Captain Falcon)

moogle

Smash Ace
Here we go.

*Pikachu - Best recovery (very important in this game), best edge-guarding capability, dominating aerial game, great ground game and grabs
*Kirby - Ridiculous power and priority (uptilt, fsmash, fair, bair, dair), best ground game, up-tilt can wreck esp heavy chars

Middle
*Ness - Great air game with DJC and excellent aerials, strong throws / easily punishable recovery
*Fox - Fast air speed, kills up, easy drill combos, SH lasers / easily punishable recovery
*Falcon - Fast ground speed, easy fwd throw combos (esp against heavy chars) / easily punishable recovery
*Mario - Solid (but not really abusive) moveset, good projectile
*Jiggly - Easy rest combos, great horizontal recovery, decent matchup with Pika,Kirby,Ness / lightweight, no 3rd jump hurts sometimes
*Yoshi - DJC air game, up-tilt owns heavy chars / worst throw, no 3rd jump hurts sometimes (though diff. circumstances from Jiggs, usually)
*DK - Excellent grab range and back throw, infinite throw trap / Moveset isn't up to par with other chars (esp ground attacks)
*Luigi - Kills up (with up-b combos), good against puffs (Kirby and Jiggs) / Sloooow movement
*Samus - Prolly hardest char to combo against, great dair+bair, good against puffs / Worst combo game, not good against heavy chars

Bottom
*Link - Best projectiles, decent moveset / But... absolute worst recovery (very important in this game)

Feel free to add, suggest, disagree, flame, etc.

KSOT

Smash Rookie
Screw explanations.

-----
Pikachu

Upper
-----
Kirby
Fox

Middle
-----
C. Falcon
Jiggly
Ness
Samus
Mario

Lower
-----
Luigi
Yoshi

Bottom
-----
Link
DK

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
I think the only REALLY terrible character in the game would have to be Samus. It would be cool if someone mastered her and proved me wrong. I'm not sure if her dash dance is good enough to replace rolling; if so, that could be viable. Also, doing her down+B away from someone might work as a roll alternative. But again, until someone masters these things she is BLOW.

As for Link, if you can R-cancel then he's a supergenius air awesome! Especially enjoyable is dair-ing newbs, because you can do it over... and over... and over... and the same goes for his fair. And bair, actually. Not to mention, his projectiles?! If you throw the 'rang behind you, and then jump over your opponent, even if he starts to hit you you've got that projectile coming back from behind him to save you. Plus projectile whoring is super effective. (As soon as a bomb hits someone, jump in there and fair away!)

Yoshi I haven't gotten very good with yet, but I want to start-- that double jump is SWEET. Obviously the lack of triple jump is ****ty, but if all goes well you'll never be knocked away in the first place because you can short-hop + double-jump cancel your way to invincibility along the ground. I still can't parry for ****, but that looks promising too...

Anyways, Kirby is by far the best character in the game. He can be beaten, but I mean... fsmash. Jesus Christ, fsmash. Then, some dsmash, and maybe usmash, and lastly fair + utilt combo, quickly followed by dair cheapness. I hate characters like this; I much prefer learning the little intricate tricks and things involved in a character like Ness, Yoshi, Link, etc.

I'm not a great Smash player, but I do like trying to master all the little weird things you can do, and I hate people who COMPLETELY dismiss a character like Link just because they can't r-cancel fast enough. (Although his jumps are pathetic to the extreme. I little more height might have been nice. :p )

mood4food77

Smash Hero
Top:
Kirby
Pikachu
Ness

Mid:
everyone else (i don't knwo the order)

bottom:
Samus
Luigi
Link

BETA

Smash Ace
KSOT said:
Screw explanations.

-----
Pikachu

Upper
-----
Kirby
Fox

Middle
-----
C. Falcon
Jiggly
Ness
Samus
Mario

Lower
-----
Luigi
Yoshi

Bottom
-----
Link
DK
You've got some big explaining to do if you have Ness below Fox, Falcon, and Jigglypuff.
And Samus above Yoshi, Mario, and Luigi. No "screw explanations" bs.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
The only things Samus has that are remotely redeemable are her Dair and Bair which have incredible speed and priority, making the quite spammable since she sucks at everything else.

Top Bottom