• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I have a similar issue as Darkjaws, but with putting Link at the bottom. Has anyone ever seen Ishi play him, for example? I think his third jump is great...much better than DK, Capitain Falcon, and Yoshi, anyway. Projectile spamming had a whole different meaning in the original SSB...bombs and boomerang have tons more knockback than they do in Melee, letting you smash or use another projectile almost immediately. His throw sucks...but he doesn't really need it, and even if it sucks, its range makes it easy to counter roll-throwers. His arial attacks are awesome, if a bit laggy. Uair, dair, and fair can KO at nice percentages. I used to play competitive SSB...and they still have it at anime conventions and stuff I go to. I even still have the game...after all, I've been playing it for like 6 years. I only got SSBM like 4 months ago.

Link pwnz.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
Good links wont beat good pikachus. My argument is that DK can match the fastest opponents out there. IF i were still playing SSB, I would prove this today.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Code:
Good links wont beat good pikachus. My argument is that DK can match the fastest opponents out there. IF i were still playing SSB, I would prove this today.

So you're making these fairly outrageous claims that DK is the best character in the game and you don't even play SSB64? As far as I'm concerned your argument holds no credence.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Wee, time travel. To prove your points start makin tournies, and get those players who top class it on the characters you describe.

Hmm, isai plays link and pikachu.

BETA, think its possible I could get a whirl at that time device after you and make isai play against himself or would his awsome ness rip a whole in time and cause the world to have a massive annurism?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Lol, how much I would love that. I mean, when he played his friend's pikachu with pikachu, you could hear his friend (johnny) in awe at isai's edge guarding awsomeness. And it was pretty amazing.
"You did that like five times/lives on me!"
-Johnny

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
Nah, I wasn't in awe
That's what we basically get whenever we play with Isai, we're used to it :]

I dont know why I said that though, maybe because there were other people there and I wanted to converse more

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Lol, gotta admit, It was pretty... hmm, well he used it consequtively. I would never be able to stock him with anything. Does he practice exessively, or now and then?

SmashThugZ

Smash Journeyman
He does alot of BtT and BtP, if that's what you mean
Other than that, we just play normally

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
BETA said:
@ Darkjaws: You played the game for 5 years but haven't played since 2001? The game came out in 1999. That's amazing. Can I borrow your time travel device?
Sorry you're right, when I think about it I only played it for 3 years, quitting shortly after SSBM came out.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
SheerMadness said:
Code:

So you're making these fairly outrageous claims that DK is the best character in the game and you don't even play SSB64 anymore? As far as I'm concerned I need to learn how to comprehend things.
Fixed a couple of statements for you, noob.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
So you used to beat your little brother at SSB64 6 years ago? Maybe your dad challenged you once and you beat him too. Your whole "DK is the best player in the game" argument is nothing more than comical. Now if you actually were 1/2 decent at this game you'd get online and prove to us that DK is an unstoppable force. If you don't intend to actually play SSB64 again in your life why are you even bothering posting on here?

BETA

Smash Ace
You know, you may be able to outspeed your family with DK because they didn't play the game as much as you, but people who play really often who use other characters can outspeed any DK.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Not nessisarily moving fast, but DK can think quick, or should I say, the guy playing him. He in no way was made to be fast. He was made to take hits and give 'em right back. All DK vids Ive seen barely have dk running but more jumping and taking battles mid air. Countering combo's and making some. But he is not fast, the players just react quick to their opponants moves.

tigerbombz

Smash Journeyman
all u foos are almost wrong yet almost rite..it goes like this

1-pikachu- can u say GG...great agiility and recovery. Spam Up-A...his tail is leet
2-kirby- just as leet as pikachu...spam his up-A kick and freaking its PWN
3-fox- too fast and too good...his drill combos are leet and his shine is pwn
4-mario- not too heavy and not too light. Drills are good and fireballs is GG.
5-yoshi- wat can i say..hes hella buff..u can barely edge guard him and his down drill is LEET
6-ness- indeed good...great jumps and good combos...

the rest is up in the air...i will own you all with my top 3...come challenge me...san jose, ca!
AIM- tigerbombz

technomancer

Smash Champion
I'm more of a melee player nowadays but me and my friends were the best on the block in old smash.

At our university 2v2 Link/DK took victory over Kirby/Yoshi. I'd put link squarely at the top of the middle tier.

BETA

Smash Ace
Even if they did, they're just one group, so there's no way of knowing how close any of them are to their respective character's max potential. Weren't you reading our arguments on Darkjaw's comments about beating everyone with DK?

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
I'm quite surprised that few have said the tier I believe... anyways, at my school, there has been a Smash 64 craze this year. So, people are literally playing all the time before school, after school, lunch, between classes, etc. So, from my experience there, here are what I see as the tiers (because I play a lot with people who play easily 4-5 hours a day, I think this is a bit closer, at least for FFA.)
(Explanation is below)
Tier list:

Top:
Pikachu
Kirby/Ness
Fox

Mid:
Mario
Captain Falcon
DK
Jigglypuff
Yoshi

Bottom:
Samus
Luigi
Link

1. Pikachu - Pikachu is decently fast, is powerful, has an amazing grab, is a really good edge-guarder, and has a really good recovery. Need I say more? If you know how to play Pikachu, he's an amazing but somewhat cheap character. Pikachu's aerial attacks often go through many other characters' attacks (especially Kirby's), and often set Pikachu up for his nice grab/throw. To kill characters on top, a combo of his moderately powerful A-up and then his thunder finishes many opponents. His grab is both powerful and fast, which also allows him to grab characters practically in mid-air. To edgeguard, all you need to do is back kick enemies away in mid-air (goes through many things, including Fox's Fire Fox), or use the powerful A forward smash attack on the ground (this is slow, but goes through nearly everything). Pikachu's only weakness is that he's kind of light, but that isn't a big deal when you can grab and edge-guard people without getting hit... that's enough about Pikachu and now....

2. Kirby - First, Kirby's recovery also goes very far, but the problem is that he's actually very susceptible to attacks when getting back on stage. For example, with proper timing, his Final Cutter can easily be interrupted, letting Kirby fall to his demise. However, few characters can affect him during those times and recover, so Kirby survives. A very powerful and often abused attack is the forward A smash. This attack often goes through many characters at once, and is a very good killing move. In addition, Kirby has 2 spikes. The first is his drill (A down), which only Pikachu, Ness or another Kirby can recover from, and his Final Cutter, which easily spikes all characters with enough damage. It's hard to catch a Pikachu with any of these spikes, but it can be done with proper timing. Kirby's up A is also rather powerful, and his side drill is pretty useful too. Basically, Kirby has an okay speed, but enough power, range, and recovery that makes him a deadly fighter.

3. Ness - The only reason that Ness isn't completely better than Kirby is because of his PK Thunder (B-Up), which can be easily interrupted by a Kirby or Pikachu (aka hitting the PK Thunder before it hits Ness) , which makes Ness fall to his demise. On the plus side, Ness's throw is very powerful, and easily be used.... I'll finish this later....

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
this forum is funny lol. smash post the vid up somewhere for my eyes to watch. I'd ask tiger to post it but I don't see him wanting to post that match anywhere for some reason :laugh:

BTW I wish I lived where ^^ lived. MM all day. I'd wear whigs so they didn't recognize me :lick:

rokimomi

Smash Lord
ZSaberLink said:
Blah Blah Blah... anyways, at my school, there has been a Smash 64 craze this year. So, people are literally playing all the time before school, after school, lunch, between classes, etc. Blah blah blah.
I hope you go to college because if they let you do that in Highschool, I'ma kill someone. Ive been trying to incorperate a video game club at my school for years... officials say its a waste. So's geometry but they keep it in anyways.

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
rokimomi said:
He would be a tweaked link with a worse vert recovery unless they can add his Side B to a move????? I don't know, Im just BS'ing.
His Forward Smash and Z-Cancelled spike would be SICK!

ZSaberLink: I don't see how Fox could be top tier, esp. if you don't mention CF. CF can own Foxes with one clean hit or throw into an insta-death combo. Secondly his recovery sucks.

Ness is more of a Dark Horse than a top tier IMO.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
This isn't from me it's from the old forum topic of ssb smash pros
back when kaillera started

Based on priority>combo effectivenes> combo evasiveness >recovery priority> edge guard capabilities> recovery range>

Kirby
Pika
*Ness

*Fox
*C.Falcon:
*jiggly>Yoshi (by just a little because yoshi's combos are hard to connect on jiggly)
mario: (mario has medium weight so he's comboable easily by everyone...)
Link: (easy to combo with the ones higher than him. Bad recovery makes it worse. So one mistake and your a helpless corpse.)
Luigi

Samus
DK (More 1,2,3s than anything else. Also combos are heavily affected by the stage choice)

the (*): Those are the really close ones

Link: I wish I could of placed him higher but an average link sucks, and these tiers are not based on skill but effectiveness vs other characters.

Ness is up there because the smash up a is an anti air that leads into an easy follow up and he has lots of priority and godlike throws too.

Jiggly is in the middle because she trims down the number of combos a character can land on her and because she's light her recovery becomes awesome.

KIRBY?!!?! ROLF NOOB WHY IS KIRBY FIRST!
***Hats, kirby has a fast ground recovery on his moves. A noob can sweep you off the stage by dashing and attacking over and over. He has the best drill. Easiest juggle. Wide edgeguard range. etc... there are plenty more I'm too lazy iI have exams soon anyways...

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Fabrian said:

Based on priority>combo effectivenes> combo evasiveness >recovery priority> edge guard capabilities> recovery range>

Kirby
Pika
*Ness

*Fox
*C.Falcon:
*jiggly>Yoshi (by just a little because yoshi's combos are hard to connect on jiggly)
mario: (mario has medium weight so he's comboable easily by everyone...)
Link: (easy to combo with the ones higher than him. Bad recovery makes it worse. So one mistake and your a helpless corpse.)
Luigi

Samus
DK (More 1,2,3s than anything else. Also combos are heavily affected by the stage choice)

Link: I wish I could of placed him higher but an average link sucks, and these tiers are not based on skill but effectiveness vs other characters.

Ness is up there because the smash up a is an anti air that leads into an easy follow up and he has lots of priority and godlike throws too.

Jiggly is in the middle because she trims down the number of combos a character can land on her and because she's light her recovery becomes awesome.

***Hats, kirby has a fast ground recovery on his moves. A noob can sweep you off the stage by dashing and attacking over and over. He has the best drill. Easiest juggle. Wide edgeguard range. etc... there are plenty more I'm too lazy iI have exams soon anyways...
You forgot yoshi, and by the looks of it, many online kallera user with yoshi deserve a placement. My props to them for using him expertly.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman

---------------------------------------Top Tier----------------------------------
Kirby
Pika
*Ness
----------------------------------------Mid tier----------------------------------
*Fox
*C.Falcon:
(jiggly/Yoshi)

(Jiggly by just a little because yoshi's combos are hard to connect on jiggly)

Mario:
(mario has medium weight so he's comboable easily by everyone...)

Link:
(easy to combo with the ones higher than him. Bad recovery makes it worse. So one
mistake and your a helpless corpse.)

Luigi

---------------------------------------- Low tier--------------------------------
Samus (More 1,2,3s than anything else. Also combos are heavily affected by the stage choice)
DK (same as samus)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I re -organized it

rokimomi said:
You forgot yoshi, and by the looks of it, many online kallera user with yoshi deserve a placement. My props to them for using him expertly.
No i didnt forget yoshi... he was there...
~Don't worry be happy~

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Alright, now its a little easier to read. I just wanted to give those yoshi players a placement. Lol, they own me all the time because unless you are godly, people dont use yoshi effectively at low playing lvls.

BETA

Smash Ace
Yoshi is a cool character, but the people who just dair, uptilt, dair, uptilt, dair need to stop. That's just as cheap, if not cheaper, than Kirby's dair to chaining uptilt. I hate n00bs who do crap like that and win.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Lol, i attempt to win with pikachu against those kinds of yoshi. By that, i think I can safely say you're one of the less repetetive yoshis? Well, I usualy try to dodge their attacks and get them into unescapable combo's. GRRRR...yoshi is the only character I have real problems with. Its the only one I have to knock up wards to kill and use thunder sometimes.

Top Bottom