• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

walugi

Smash Apprentice
felix45 said:
um no.

how about go play a good luigi. you will feel the pain of his upb and downb. they are both way better than mario's. he has the same combo ability as mario, minus the fireball spammage, but plus the many more 0-death combos because of his up b.

I'm much more afraid of playing a good luigi in comparison to playing a good mario. I can take fireball spamage no problem. luigi I'm scared of because you know once you are 60-70%+ and he lands a dair you are dead.

how about play a good kirby/pikachu/ness. Those are the usual top tier char's that you think luigi should be around. Yet he is nowhere near as versatile as them... It's not about how good a character is, it's about how good he is relative to the game's dynamics and other characters. Or am i mistaken?

ant-d

Smash Lord
felix45 said:
dang didn't know that
edit: is it hard to DI like that in SSB64? because people argue in melee that fox/falco vs jigz the uthrow to rest doesn't work if you DI (and it's true) but it's really hard to do it.
Not hard with practice.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
^ a man can pull a truck with his willy with enough practice.... :p I'm sure one can learn to DI :p

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
-TOP-
Pikachu - He has the most potential in the game in my mind mostly because of his Uairs and Up tilts
Kirby - The easiest character to use in the game, most new players will pick this character for easy use of smashes, Up tilts and recovery plus he has crazy priority
Captain Falcon - Falcon has alot of 0 - death combos, very easy to combo with and his Uairs and maybe Fair combo very well

-UPPER-
Fox - The only reason Fox isn't in Top tier is because his combos are mainly based on his Dair drill, so its easy to get out of his combos but his spam is outragously good adding to that is his shine, very useful for edgeguarding and a move to get people away from you kinda thing :p
Link - Worst recovery in game, but very good for projectile spamming/combos
Mario - Mario Standard(ADA AUA ADA AUA etc) is much better than luigi's mainly because of his shorter hop and good for fireball spamming

-MIDDLE-
Jigglypuff - Jig Sliding and combos which are very creative and lots of air game(In the Japanese smash Jigs dwnB is alot weaker than in the USA version) so thats why the *** combos are so much more =P
Ness - Mostly just DJC makes him good but his recovery is very easy to interupt
Yoshi - No 3rd jump but his glitch shield is always good by canceling out attacks instead of taking knockback or breaking the shield itself
DK - DK is faster than you think, great for throw combos
Luigi - His UpB may be amazing but he is very slow and his Uair is very easy to get out of but his Uair is very useful in the long run to use

-LOW-
Samus - yeah samus will always be the lowest, say lack of combos?

My Tier List

Discuss?

rokimomi

Smash Lord
^ That makes recent tiers pee their pants. I love how you rearanged it. Im still thinkin kirby should be no.1 due to extremely good attacks, and pika's only good in the hands of those who use him to his utmost potential, which means full edgeguard. But I see why you put him on top.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
luigi's glitch shield? You mean the parry or something else? Like I think i remember AntD talking about another one? Can someone please elaborate?

walugi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I've seen that vid before, thanks for pointing it out to me again :) The B button would would be near impossible to pull off in a normal 3p, 4p match imo

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Super boom, Ness should be around no. 3 on the list, and there's no way Link is above Jiggs and Yoshi, or Mario above Jiggs.

walugi

Smash Apprentice
I find Mario to usually be better than jigs, but my style of play means that jigs is too light. And her near useless upB

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Iggy K said:
Super boom, Ness should be around no. 3 on the list, and there's no way Link is above Jiggs and Yoshi, or Mario above Jiggs.
Second'd.

I love Link, but his propensity to die at 30% outweighs his strengths.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
Top Tier

Captain Falcon
Luigi
Link
Fox

Middle Tier

Kirby
Yoshi
Mario
Samus

Low Tier

Ness
DK

VERY LOW TIER
Pikachu

Completely USELESS Tier

Jigglypuff

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
What makes CF top tier, I really want to know. CF is my favorite character but even I won't say he's top tier.

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Top Tier

Captain Falcon
Luigi
Link
Fox

Middle Tier

Kirby
Yoshi
Mario
Samus

Low Tier

Ness
DK

VERY LOW TIER
Pikachu

Completely USELESS Tier

Jigglypuff
Either you're joking, you're a complete n00b to the game, or you're just a biased moron. I personally think it's both of the latter two possibilities.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
You people are way too uptight. I think it's pretty obvious that he either doesn't play the game (I had similar opinions in my noob phase) or is just trying to get our goats. If it's the latter, I'd say he succeeded pretty marvelously.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Haha, I love how he got to everyone at once too. In that way, are we all supporting a single tier? The one that's not his? So by that reaction, everyone agrees that link is not the best and stuff.

At least everyone agrees on something.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
what? no. that's jsut my opinion, wow, I really didn't expect you people to be that hrash on me :( I could say the same things about the tiers you made, but I'm not, cuz it's your OPINION

rokimomi

Smash Lord
what? no. that's jsut my opinion, wow, I really didn't expect you people to be that hrash on me :( I could say the same things about the tiers you made, but I'm not, cuz it's your OPINION
You could say that. But thats how I got flamed when I learned tiers are lists based off pros at the same lvl, which is impossible, dukeing it out in matches with characters to see who comes out on top. Since that was highly unlikely, We turned to tournies, in wich the best characters came out on top, And in melee, Fox is now highest character unlike previous tiers. Too bad we dont have recorded ssb64 matches of more than I would say, 10 or so players. If you base it off isai's vids, then yes, link is godly in those hands. But Since all thouse ideas are turned down, SSB 64 tier lists are based off of statistics. As in whether the character combos well and return. Thats one of the reasons people freaked out when you put link close to the top and people like ness below a bunch of others. Because of his return, wich is what is needed for most characters to survive a true match fought at the edge. Thats also why pika is so high up. Kirby's just a hack as in he's too good and waayy to easy to use.

greenblob

Smash Lord
We're listing the characters from the best to the worst, not from your favorite to your least favorite. I'm pretty sure there's a thread on the latter if you look around for a few pages.

Anyway...
I think Yoshi should be slightly lower, mainly because he's so easy to edgeguard--make sure he doesn't land and either spam aerials, projectiles, or if you're Samus, lay down bombs on the edge.

ShoeThief

Smash Apprentice
Top Tier
Link
Luigi

High
Samus
DK

Middle
Yoshi
Mario
Jigg

Low
CFalcon
Fox
Ness

Bottom
Kirby
Pika

Link_Wins

Smash Apprentice
Top Tier
Kirby
Pika

High
Fox
C.Falcon
Ness

Middle
Samus
Mario
Jiggly
DK

Low
Luigi
Yoshi

Bottom
Link (Dies wayyy to easily)

But thats just what I reckon, and i suck so its probly way off :)

THE RED SPARROW

Smash Lord
Top Tier
Kirby
Pika

High
Fox
C.Falcon
Ness

Middle
Samus
Mario
Jiggly
DK

Low
Luigi
Yoshi

Bottom
Link (Dies wayyy to easily)

But thats just what I reckon, and i suck so its probly way off :)

The closest I've seen so far, although I think Samus ranks with Link.

Liku

Smash Journeyman
I think Ness is better than C. Falcon if you have the insane speed for it.

Dancin Jesus

Smash Apprentice
tiers are debatable you can't have a set tiers, its all on preference. u can have your tiers but there is no set tiers for everyone. its opinion

platinum kirby

Smash Apprentice
No. Tiers are set by current metagame. They're NOT opinion. Go tell that the elite of any SF game, CvS2, MvC2, Any KOF, tekken, etc....and hope not to be flamed to death.

Dancin Jesus

Smash Apprentice
sorry, its preference, u can argue all u want, but i am indeed right. the only way to see the set tier list is to play everyone as comps on lvl 9.

platinum kirby

Smash Apprentice
Would you mind elaborating on your definition of tier list for a fighting video game and how, as far as you know, tiers are set? That might clarify why you don't understand my statement.

Dancin Jesus

Smash Apprentice
ok. see everyone one here is putting down their tiers list and everyones is different. I'm saying nobody is the best. its just on your perefernce.

Top Bottom