• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers Are For Queers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBluAssassin

Smash Apprentice
Link to original post: [drupal=4702]Tiers Are For Queers[/drupal]

Seriously, **** tiers. Play as the character you like and not worry about tiers. It's the skill of the player that matters, not the character, which is why you'll find videos on YouTube of Gandondorf beating Meta Knight, because the Ganondorf player was skilled. **** tourney**** and your stupid tiers, too.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
And trees are for lumberjacks.

And I'm a lumberjack, and that's ok. I sleep all night and I work all day.

But really, tiers only matter at the higher levels of play, and matchups are far more important in general. If you're with friends, play who you want.

It's sort of interesting seeing where all these derogatory terms come from and the attitudes that foster such one lines as "Tiers are for queers".

Honestly, why do people have to make blogs and posts like this one. What point they are they trying to prove that people do not already inherently know to be true? It should be like a natural truth to understand that the person controlling the character takes priority over the character themselves.

So, I find it hard to understand why anyone would want to make a thread like this anyway. Who is the audience you are addressing and what situations lead up to a sudden desire to have to restate the obvious?

Also, there is a bit of homophobic reaction out of this as well. Queer, a derogatory term for homosexuals. Why the hell would you need to bring up a term for homosexuals unless you are trying to put the negative attitude for tier lists and saying it has similar context to homosexuals?

TheBluAssassin

Smash Apprentice
Search TR4Q. I wasn't being homophobic. Queer means strange, and besides, gay people themselves use the term queer. You're just calling me homophobic because you don't agree with me. Why is there a huge backlash against using terms like gay or queer? When someone calls something ********, I never see any backlash and no one gets pissed off. But why the hell not? Why the hell would you need to bring up a term for mentally slow people unless you are trying to put the negative attitude for whatever you don't like or don't agree with and saying it has similar context to slow people? So why is it that people can call something ********, but I can't call something queer?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
...Did you join this site just to troll what you consider "tourney***s"?

Does the fact that not everyone plays like you do offend you so much, and do you have nothing else better to do, that you felt the need to join a site just to ***** about it?

When someone calls something ********, I never see any backlash and no one gets pissed off.
I don't know where you've been, because there are definitely people that get pissed off about that.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Depends on how it's used. Here, it's clearly a derogatory term.

However, "queer" is also used by the LGBT community as an term for sexual minorities that are not heterosexual, heteronormative, or gender-binary. For example, the term "queer" could include pansexual, intersexual, asexual, etc.

It's had a weird shift in semantics over the years.

edit: Never mind, the OP is just an idiot. Carry on, good people.

TheBluAssassin

Smash Apprentice
...Did you join this site just to troll what you consider "tourney***s"?

Does the fact that not everyone plays like you do offend you so much, and do you have nothing else better to do, that you felt the need to join a site just to ***** about it?
No, I just wish people would play to have fun, even if their trying to win. If you ask me, banning stages and characters is just plain stupid.

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Tourneyfag That's basically my view on the whole thing, in one convenient article (however satirical it may be).

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
No, I just wish people would play to have fun, even if their trying to win. If you ask me, banning stages and characters is just plain stupid.

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Tourneyfag- That's basically my view on the whole thing, in one convenient article (however satirical it may be).
People who play with tiers and ban stages generally find that fun. Just because you find that stupid doesn't mean everyone does. Personally, I find flat stages and no items to be more enjoyable than all of the crazy ****.

I don't play according to tier lists, but that's because I just play with whomever I play well and I don't go to tournaments. Banning MK...you'll find that not even everyone who plays in tournaments agrees with that one. I don't.

Anyway, that was my view when I joined this site, too, but I didn't make my first couple of posts calling people out on playing a certain way because I didn't agree. I made a few posts trying to logically argue with the people, but I didn't post telling people they were tourney***s and I listened to them and eventually changed my mind.

I'm just using this blog entry as a way to look at the one liner "Tiers are for queers" and the general responses followed along with such sayings. BluAssassin, what you have posted in the opening post and title simply echos with stuff I have been hearing various people say ever so often for years. My intention is not to attack you for what you have posted but rather to look at where the context of what you posted originates from.

Most everyone involved in the smashboards community doesn't give a crap about tiers anyway. They play the characters they have the most fun with or characters that happen to have the most BS on the other characters used in tournament to up the chances of winning. Like using DDDs chaingrab on characters to ease up on the stress of a match compared to using someone like link.

So for a tiers are for queers statement in blog seems to be directed at the smash community itself which makes no sense when a majority will already agree that tier lists do amount to much of anything other than ideal conversation.

On the side, when I look at the statement itself, it seems odd to include the word queer. Most responses to the tier list are negative and queer itself has historically been identified with as a negative term for sexual minorities. There are likely efforts to change what people think of when they hear queer. Saying piss used to be as bad as saying ****, but it isn't now. But the point is that the line Tiers are for Queers is a rather old term and seems to have obvious origins from a time where anything other than heterosexual orientation was deemed abnormal.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Obviously this guy isn't referring to people as queer in the sense of homosexual, but in the sense of "odd people" obv.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
What I find funny is how everyone who replied and fell for the bait is a longtime member who shouldn't even bat an eyelid at stuff like this at this point.

Honestly OP won the game this time around.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
BluAssassin, can you explain to me what exactly you mean by "Tiers Are For Queers"?
Do you mean that people should not care about the tier list when playing casually and just pick whichever character(s) they find most enjoyable?
Or do you mean that people should not care about the tier list when playing in tournaments and just pick whichever character(s) they find most enjoyable?
Or are you trying to imply that the ideas of "tiers" is nonsensical and unfounded and that tiers don't exist?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
If you don't play in tournaments tiers don't concern you
Interesting fact, a group of friends and I played Melee non-competitively for years. Had never heard of tiers, anything.

We all played Fox, Falco, Marth, or Shiek. There were only two outliers, one of which played Link and the other of which played Yoshi. I just always thought it was funny that even without tiers we still played all top tiers.

I play Roy now, but that's mostly irrelevant. If I were to actually go to tournaments ever I'd imagine I'd eventually switch back to Marth.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

How could this be so EASY

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I was gonna say that I'm disappointed that anyone would give this guy a serious reply, but Teran beat me to it.

What I find funny is how everyone who replied and fell for the bait is a longtime member who shouldn't even bat an eyelid at stuff like this at this point.

Honestly OP won the game this time around.
How could this be so EASY
Life is boring if you do not take the bait every once in awhile. Like really boring. Besides, most conversation can end up being about anything other than the original poster such as we are doing now. Talking with you Teran.
It's SWF.

I will, though, point out that I only added my "on topic" part of my reply so that I didn't get infracted for spam.
Attempt at redemption :bee:

frotaz37

Smash Lord
This one was kind of tough because there actually are people who think like that.

I've actually seen worse arguments than the one in the OP <_<

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
This guy wants my tiers.

But I ain't that easy.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
WHOA THERE COWBOY.
At least buy me dinner first.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
This one was kind of tough because there actually are people who think like that.

I've actually seen worse arguments than the one in the OP <_<
Yes but why the **** even bother with the argument. There are plenty of people who think blacks are inferior, are we actually going to bother reasoning with them when clearly reason left their minds quite sometime ago?

link2702

Smash Champion
aww...a little casual who thinks he knows what he's talking about, joins a site to start a rant about something that doesn't even effect him in the slightest.

its so cute when we find these misinformed mentally handicapped people who while *****ing saying "its the players that matter!", will turn around and complain that "ike is oped"(lol..ike...? oped? XD )

You know i often wonder how these people would react if they actually learned what a tier actually is.

of course most of em their brains are too tiny, and their ego's too big, that they will refuse to listen to any kinds of reason or logic.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
aww...a little casual who thinks he knows what he's talking about, joins a site to start a rant about something that doesn't even effect him in the slightest.

its so cute when we find these misinformed mentally handicapped people who while *****ing saying "its the players that matter!", will turn around and complain that "ike is oped"(lol..ike...? oped? XD )

You know i often wonder how these people would react if they actually learned what a tier actually is.

of course most of em their brains are too tiny, and their ego's too big, that they will refuse to listen to any kinds of reason or logic.
Oh man, link2702, get him, we totally have a much higher opinion of you by counter flaming him.

Wait, what, that sounds like I'm lying.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
08ers talking trash, how times have changed.

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord
The thread's creator seems to have no experience in smash.

Yes, the skill matters, but with evenly skilled players, the balance is swayed towards the high tier player.

In the first place, I doubt he's ever played anyone but the CPU or a fellow noob.

If you want balance, just don't play Brawl.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Search TR4Q. I wasn't being homophobic. Queer means strange, and besides, gay people themselves use the term queer. You're just calling me homophobic because you don't agree with me. Why is there a huge backlash against using terms like gay or queer? When someone calls something ********, I never see any backlash and no one gets pissed off.
I get pissed when people use either termsand I am neither of them. You shouldn't put down other people bro. That ain't cool man. *stops using creepy swag voice*

Unless you're putting down a fire

Also, tiers are a community's measuring of the top level of competitive play. You don't play competitive smash kid. if you want you can come to some tournaments in your area, lose some money, and learn that tiers are serious crap bro! :awesome: :cool: :088: :009:

And buying bait is fun! :)

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
@falcon

fight fire with fire:awesome:
See you use fire to prevent the spread of more fire, what you're doing is essentially taking a bunch of flammable **** and throwing it into an already existing fire and seeing what happens.

In other words, no, get de fug outta de Sheik's car.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Tires are for choirs.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium