• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiered Rankings / Gym Leader / Player Recognition Ideas

Bones0

Smash Legend
The point of having extra stocks is so someone actually beats the Elite 4 in each region. Beating the top 5 players in your region is already impossible (or else you'd be top 5...), so if you're trying to beat them back-to-back 2 extra stocks isn't a big deal. I am pretty sure at least one of the top 5 players in your region will be able to beat you even with 2 extra stocks, at which point the challenge stops.

Sweet™

Smash Famous @PennStateSweet #SweetNation
Premium
And when you get all 8 badges, you're granted entry to a special tournament.

In all seriousness, this can be a really good idea if done tastefully. I like reading these ideas so far.

Oracle

Smash Master
I think the leaders should be the hidden boss type players who don't travel much outside of their regions ie colbol tai darkrain.

joY

Pot splitter
Or just the best 8 (or whatever number) players in a particular region.

Whether or not those regions include players that don't travel much (tai, darkrain) is determined by how well they play against gym leaders.

If they're good enough to be one, then they will be one.

Should be a simple as that.

G

genkaku

it's obvious that this doesn't work as a ranking system at all
(melee ELO would be really nice if executed well)
but the pokemon stuff could make for a fun alternative event series for smashers. If one region really picks up on it they should test it out. First region to commit gets to be kanto, haha.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
the gym leaders should not be the 8 hardest players in each region.

that's ****ing terrible.

if its going to be like pokemon then the 1st gym leader should be someone who isn't exactly "good" but knows what they're doing to some extent.

joY

Pot splitter
How would you determine that?

And does that mean that first particular gym leader can only lose matches to other players that aren't exactly "good" but know what they are doing to some extent?

Because if a player that is better than that description beats the first gym leader, then uh oh, the first gym leader is now too hard.

This is supposed to be a tiered ranking system that adopts certain notions of gym leaders from Pokemon.

Not Pokemon.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
the gym leaders should not be the 8 hardest players in each region.

that's ****ing terrible.

if its going to be like pokemon then the 1st gym leader should be someone who isn't exactly "good" but knows what they're doing to some extent.
And then what's the point of any of this? ...I think people just want badges.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Abu was the one to come up with the badge idea. He was saying it as a joke and everyone blew up thinking it was amazing. Personally...I do like it though there are problems depending on how it's implemented.

joY

Pot splitter
It's certainly viable.

I feel like a written, complete proposal of the idea is necessary to sort-of get the ball rolling.

We can then work from there, critiquing certain points and so forth, to get a final version that everyone, more or less, is happy with.

whitemountain123

Smash Cadet
i wanna do a 10 on 10 crew battle my best 10 chars vs mangos best 10, or 26 vs 26. i think i could either win that or give up a very good fight
from a couple pages back, but i'd love to see this + character battles between any of you, mango, armada (and peepee if he has enough good chars lol).

make it happen at apex? i'm sure we could get significant sidebets on this

Bob Money

Smash Ace
A good idea, but it needs to be more clearish

Like certain badges should have a point total associated with them. For example Lets say Shroomed has had his badge for 3 months because no one can beat him. Every time he beats someone new the badge worth goes up. While old challengers would have to wait a minimum of 1 month to challenge again. The person to finally beat shroomed to earn the badge would a certain amount of points that would be needed to face a much higher rank gym leader such as Armada or Mango.

The Gym leaders are decided by PR panel then desire to participate
Norcal
Top Regional Gym Leader : Shroomed(min 10 pnts spent to challenge) 1 month cooldown and loss of 10 points.

Co-Leaders/gatekeepers- SFAT/ZHU/PPU/SCAR worth 5 points (min 0 to challenge) 2 week cooldown on each.

Co-leaders can challenge for the TOP GYM leader position once a month regardless of how many points they have.

Once Top Gym leader loses to a Co-leader he demotes to gatekeeper.

These players will not always be gym leaders as the PRs update so will the gym leaders.

The point is people keep track of the points they acquire and use them to attack higher ranked gym leaders.
If someone manages to beat the TOP gym leader after beating the gatekeepers they are recognized publicly as a bad ***. They will also get free entry to one of the participating locals and be awarded a shot at an OOR gym leader of their choice bypassing point requirements. where if they win they will awarded one free entry to a participating regional or local in that area and be publicly recognized as a Bad ***.

As an incentive for the TOP GYM LEADER to say a TOP GYM LEADER they will be publicly recognized as a BAD *** and gets free singles entry at EVERY participating local until they are dethroned/beaten by a challenger.

IF THE Reigning GYM LEADER WINS a NATIONAL while being the REIGNING GYM LEADER they have immunity for 1 month and their minimum points required to challenge them becomes +5X which means gatekeepers will need a min of 5 points and new challengers will now need 15 points instead of 10 to challenge.

If by small chance you beat every top gym leader in the US you're basically sick.

I dunno some ideas i had, seems kind of easy to implement, basic point system.

Challenge matches can only be done in smashfests/tournies with at least 3 gym leaders present.

You can only become a TOP GYM leader if you are doing a Gatekeeper challenge or the current TOP gYM leader becomes inactive.

just some ideas really simple, 5 points for beating a Gate keepr 10 to challenge top gym leader, cooldowns dependant. Easy to keep track of considering the gatekeepers should rarely have people beating them if selected well. So its not that much to keep track of unless your gatekeepers suck.

Challenge matches against Gate keepers would be best of 7
Gym leader matches would be 2 sets best of 5. like GF of a tourny

If you win a regional you can challenge for the TOP Gym leader spot too. This bypasses cooldowns and points.

This is a BASIC outline feel free to make it better.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
Should just start as a regional thing, point is to not take it so seriously, thats what tournaments are for. People can play any character they want. It's mostly a tool for up and coming players to test themselves/ play a set with hella good people.

Getting free singles entry isn't that big of a perk but when your the top dog for like 2-3 months it adds up.

People can refuse challenges, but that's why you want to pick people regardless of perceived skill that are game.

pewpewyou

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea that Kage brought up on the stream for Melee It On Me 2. About how the top 5 players from the region can't enter.

Kage you can probably explain this a ton better

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean I like the idea in general but do we have to make it into a pokemon cosplay competition? This is smash. It seems really juvenile. I'd say yes to "badges" or something like it, no to splitting it into pokemon regions and referring to people as gym leaders and having six characters to be like pokemon.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya those tournaments are essentially "The next contender" with the top 4-5 players are banned from the tournament. When the tournament is announced on a certain date, all mid level players can choose 1 coach from those top players to be under their wing and get trained more closely. So when the tournament actually happen those top players could sidebet (Obviously not limited to only the top players but everyone that wants to be involved) on their apprentices which can be very hype. So, doing it like this would actually make the community definitely more tightly knit together because a lot of new connections will happen in between the players.

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
i honestly think this is ****ing ********. are we really about to try and live out our childhood fantasies of being a pokemon trainer through smash? cmon guys this is kind of pathetic. i like pokemon but trying to make smash into a real life version of pokemon? really?

musashi

Smash Apprentice
Give these guys 10 badges each:
"Badge Masters":
Armada(special badge with crown), Mango, Dr.PP, HBOX, M2K
Its general consensus that these are the top 5.

Give these guys 30 badges
"Badge Keepers":
KK, Axe, Shroomed, Hax, Unknown522, Wobbles, (Jman, S2J, Westballz, etc.)
These are arguable, it can be based on opinion or if they want to participate, obviously the guy who attends more often to nationals gets priority.

Make it 8 guys total.

You play 5$MM duels (BO5) with these "Badge Keepers" whenever you see them. If you win you get the badge, if they win they get 5$, this will encourage these 8 guys to keep playing and make it more possible to get the badges for the participants.

Once you get the 8 different badges now you get the title of "badge keeper" and the guy who had less badges at the moment of these 8 badge keepers gets out of the list.

Now that you are a Badge Keeper you can 10$MM duel the top 5(same ruleset as above).

Same thing, if you get the 5 badges of these top 5 you rise to the title of "Badge Master" and the guy with least badges from top 5 goes down to "badge keeper".

If the guy who got out wants the title back they can participate, but has to get all badges again.

Between the top 5 they can play 50$ duel MM with the "Crown keeper", that's just a battle for the crown. If the "crown keeper" loses he just hands the crown but remains on top 5.

Obviously getting the badges will be pretty freakin hard, but it will encourage those players who want recognition to keep participating and getting better.
I think this is the easiest system and is really hype.

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
Please don't implement this in the community guys

It's so gay

:phone:

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
I've been really wanting to get into smash, I watch matches and learn stuff about it all the time. And I've been thinking about driving to tourneys and stuff to get into the community.

This thread is my turning point. I really don't want to be a part of a group of people so childish and weird. Not that my opinion matters or that I'm an important person or anything, but take into consideration other people like me who are interested in the game that also may be turned away by this stupid, juvenile bull ****.

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
I mean I like the idea in general but do we have to make it into a pokemon cosplay competition? This is smash. It seems really juvenile. I'd say yes to "badges" or something like it, no to splitting it into pokemon regions and referring to people as gym leaders and having six characters to be like pokemon.
I agree with this guy, smash is a serious game for serious gamers, something like pokemon would only tarnish our pristine name

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
I agree with this guy, smash is a serious game for serious gamers, something like pokemon would only tarnish our pristine name
Or give the other gaming communities another reason to think you're a bunch of childish weirdos.

Landry

Smash Ace
Like I said earlier - juvenile. We need to kill this idea. Or maybe you'd like to add something about all of us singing the Pokemon theme before each battle too?

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Someone doesn't like analogies.

edit: the original idea is to have a tiered regional ranking system that reflects progression of players. the reason why people are talking pokemon gym **** is b/c it an easy analogy to make.

dkuo

Smash Lord
above few posts worried about pokemon are missing the point ~_~

the thread's goal is just trying to come up with an encompassing system to encourage all players to participate/improve as well as encourage top players to stay active by maintaining their position. through a more dynamic ranking system we can introduce a perpetual pressure looming over players to either improve or maintain their ground

if you're so worried about the idea of pokemon holding the community back to the point where you're even considering turning away from smash (to which i have to say, loooooooooooooooool) its not like we can't call stuff in the system something different and unrelated to pokemon, if that suddenly makes it better (which is ultimately likely to be the case anyways)

also **** yall pokemon da bess

Jiv

Smash Apprentice
No you guys are talking about straight up Pokemon **** in here

The system you're talking about is a great way to make your community more exclusive than it already is.

Also you can lol and condescend me all you want, but I know I'm not the only person who would stray away from the community due to this stupid role playing **** you guys are talking about.

dkuo

Smash Lord
No you guys are talking about straight up Pokemon **** in here

The system you're talking about is a great way to make your community more exclusive than it already is.

Also you can lol and condescend me all you want, but I know I'm not the only person who would stray away from the community due to this stupid role playing **** you guys are talking about.

if you cant shake the concept of pokemon away from the analogy being made i cant really help you there. so far the general consensus seems like it's going towards a modified power ranking with tiers, with different risk/reward levels for each tier on the list so that those on it are also invested in the list (as on the miom stream they said once players make power rankings they were less interested in them, there wasnt much to gain or lose so it felt like w/e)

the system won't affect much people coming in considering they wont even know the system is in operation until they're into smash, esp since the whole thing is just a modified power ranking. and if they're honestly interested in smash after playing with their region for a bit, something as small as this wouldn't really deter them from playing more

wasnt trying to condescend, just thought it was funny how you thought pokemon was too childish for a game that literally features pokemon

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Implement Bob$'s idea, but please, please, try and maintain an air of professionalism and separate the concept from Pokemon. It comes off as nerd masturbation, fulfilling a childish fantasy and using Melee as the vehicle. I know, there's a nerd label inherent to competitive Melee, but do we really have to throw ourselves head-****ing-first into the role? We should be doing all we can to combat the stereotype, not support it.

Top Bottom