• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
What I meant more accurately was that Odds imo came really close to optimized play of Bowser in 3.5, his theory was really good and so was his tech skill, his edgeguards were a little sloppy but overall he came closer to Bowser's limits than anyone else did with their character.

The even more impressive thing is that when he felt himself reaching that limit, he wrote a huge college level essay to the PMDT telling them how to fix it.
When half of the players of nonmelee characters are discouraged that the majority of tech they practiced extensively has been tweaked/destroyed from 3.02-3.5, your going to get character stagnation.

Even looking at diddy, he is still a really great character with great tools, but the forum and development of new tech has become completely dead. Had bowser stayed his 3.6b self, you would have seen a similar result on the bowser forum.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Did someone say someone came close to optimized play of any character in any version? fuckin' lmao, don't even
Odds is good at bowser, we get it. But if melee's characters have lasted 14 (?) years without optimization, we're not going to see anything close for PM for a long time lol. Optimization is a matchup by matchup basis. There's no such thing as a character in a vacuum. You can't optimize a character by themself, and to suggest anybody has optimized any single matchup yet much less 41 is absurd by itself. Mastering a character's tech doesn't count as optimizing something, ftr. Odds has good bowser tech among other things, but I wouldn't even say that's something he's mastered. I'm sure he would admit the same thing himself.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
you do realize the second half of that post wasn't even related to you right
and the first half of the post was talking about how the stuff was already known, and everybody has excuses for not using it, not for saying it's not actually useful lmao
Yes or no?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
As if I'm going to risk $100 on a bad matchup that I don't even know lmao
probably won't even have a spare $100 to begin with, the flight there with everything else is pushing a wallet strained by student debt to it's absolute limit, it it weren't for LTC3 I wouldn't even be going period
The only reason I responded is because I'm curious what you think a money match will solve
because even if I lose, I'm still right. Your magic cstick junk is basically stuff that's been known here for ages and just never implemented commonly outside of tilt pivots, beating me in an MM won't change that

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Time to do a 360 and moon-walk outta here

Edit: Tier list thread is best PM thread. You get a little bit of everything.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Red-important-person Shadic also likes the random rant posts about mental disposition that I randomly rant about.

**** posts and hallucinogenic posts. Who's side are these people on?

PMDT will be taking heavy hits of acid and crawling under desks to write the next Dr. Strange comics at this rate.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Gotta admit Bowser's a lot more fun in 3.6f, even if he's still bad.

I think Smash's fatties just suffer from being both bland and bad, as a rule. Ganondorf and Bowser have gotten notable upgrades in the style department. D3's interesting as an anti-meta character with a radically different playstyle, though I doubt a little extra flair would hurt him. DK and Zard don't really have a lot going for them in this department, though I think Zard partially suffers from just feeling clunky. More strong tools combined with more interesting tools and bam, you've got badass fatties.

Maybe have Bowser Bomb's outermost (4% damage) hitboxes force trip grounded opponents, with ~20 frames landing lag removed. Perhaps even give those hitboxes a tiny bit of extra reach. Not because it does anything for his matchups, just because the idea of the shockwave from it knocking the opponent down is ****ing cool. DK could possibly do a similar thing via an alternate down-b (tap vs hold)?

The opponent should **** their pants when a fatty's bearing down on their space. Not just because they're a legitimate threat, but because they project that threatening presence at all times.

Bad's rectified with proper reward and frame data on their normals and means to keep hard camping strats off the table as much as possible. Ganondorf on a large stage for example is just depressing, and a lot of fatty normals have too much startup and/or too little reward.

I think in order to make bowser have more tier placement, his bowser bomb and forward smash should just outright break your shield.
Why is such a powerful smash attack that throws your opponents shield away from bowser STILL bad on shield anyway? Because their shield lives with like 1% left and bowser is stuck for so long that they have the time to run up and grab bowser. Same with bowser bomb, you can see it coming from a mile away and you choose to shield it? You deserve to get punished for taking a bomb on the shield but instead, the opponent runs up and grabs bowser.

Also Bowser needs something to prevent him from being camped out into oblivion or comboed to 100%. One time in a match zelda was able to essentially chain grab me but with her up smash, no matter how i DI'd until 70% off of 1 move done 4 times.

Certain things feel really silly on bowser (mainly the chain grabs and weird combos that shouldnt work) and being camped out by a lesser player should never happen. I think nair and dash attack armour should be restored (light armour doesnt cut it, like ever)

That being said, bowser is now super fun to play, his down smash is great and his down throw is amazing when done right and im happy that KB and angles were restored.

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
its not even his best hard read anti-air, because just a simple sh fair in place/fading back is much safer to stuff approaches. Is it a good anti-air to peach FC fairs at you?
Nope, you would need to hard read that she's actually going to land with fair and not start up>react to yo-yo>fade back. It's a bit of a guessing game on both parts, but if Ness misreads, he's typically hit harder than she is.

Its best use is comboing from fair or tech chasing. For example, I'll read someone's tech roll>run them down>and charge up smash where their get up takes place. It's pretty good at that, but alternatively you can use dtilt>uair to kill faster.

Squirtle can't have a D-Smash that combos any more than Ness can have an U-Smash that combos.
Kills only plx
Ness' usmash doesn't do either as well as anything else in his kit though. Dtilt>uair/bair is better for killing off of the top, and uair/utilt is better for comboing. I think that the yo-yos are cool and should have some form of unique functionality. Ness doesn't need any more combo moves. He has plenty. What he doesn't have is standard kill conversions that almost the entire cast has. Usmash can fill that niche.

Ness can Ledge-Dash in PM.
First game where Ness can get back on the edge in a cool, option-filled way, so that's pretty sweet.
It's better to LJC>bair to maximize your invincibility frames. Or you can LJC nair, dair, uair, fair, magnet while retaining full invincibility. Ness is pretty good on the ledge.

For those who don't know, LJC, or ledge jump cancel is when you do a tournament winner jump from ledge and DJC it with an aerial on the first possible frame. It allows you to retain I believe 16 frames of actionable invincibility under 100 percent and 12 frames above 100 percent if done perfectly.

didds

Smash Lord
If you know aerial bubble is going to land you can get something off of it for sure yeah great, it's extremely punishable if missed though and can't really be thrown out safely. Also really just as much Squirtle players says he has amazing **** as there are that say he's bad
I was gonna say, we wouldn't all still play squirtle if we all actually thought he sucked

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I was gonna say, we wouldn't all still play squirtle if we all actually thought he sucked
quoting myself

Since learning and perfecting his tech is such a tedious process, you can't just drop him and make all the effort go to waste. We're all stuck with that bull**** turtle. Squirtle is actively blackmailing his own mains.
Keepo

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
I was about to try to learn Squirtle..but I never knew he was THAT tedious to learn :(

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
For reals though: I'm going to start issuing out infractions that actually mean something in this thread.

No more 0-point "warnings," or 1-point wrist-slaps that go away in a week.

kthx. <3

:alakadoof:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Reasoning behind Marth being S tier with Fox?
I believe Marth has the tools to deal with other characters accordingly. His disjoints mess up most characters (covering space) covered with good DD and an absurd grab range. He also can edge guard pretty well.

It takes many to make one of the highest tier character in Melee be the lowest on their mod
I'm guessing you're talking about puff right?

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Sonic's, ZSS's, Mewtwo's and Samus's placings are absolutely ridiculous.

Unless you're going only by tournament results. But even then Mewtwo and Samus are weird.

Just look at the tools the guys have. 2 of them can avoid bad situations against most of the cast and usually have mind boggling punish games and the other 2 have such vast movepools that I don't think there's ever a situation they can be obliterated in.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
nair and dash attack armour should be restored
Let's not do that.

Can deal with (nearly) Every situation, has strong tools for most if not all interactions with other characters:
:diddy::mario2::fox::falco::wolf::lucas::mewtwopm:
Have good tools to deal with most situations, and have the ability to use their good tools to prevent the situations they can't cover well at most times:
:marth::metaknight::roypm::pikachu2::samus2::rob::warioc::falcon::lucario::toonlink::zerosuitsamus::gw::sheik::zelda::squirtle::sonic::snake::pit::ike::peach:
Lose to some common counter-play/situations, like platform camping, getting opened up by pressure/rush down, or specific interactions that only pertain to that character's MUs (Olimar's pikmin flying around/dropping from lasers, etc), but still have the good tools to avoid those situations against some characters/un-optimal execution of them or mitigate their damage from being in them (or winning the situations they do win very hard):
:popo::luigi2::yoshi2::olimar::dedede::ganondorf::charizard::link2::jigglypuff:
Lose to simple strategies and game plans, normally related to proper CC/SDI, or just committed camping, despite controlling the situations they do win very well:
:kirby2::dk2::bowser2::ivysaur::ness2:
Why is Luigi in the third group? Should also have a "Disregards your interactions, always plays the match their way" category :bluejump:

I believe Marth has the tools to deal with other characters accordingly. His disjoints mess up most characters (covering space) covered with good DD and an absurd grab range.
Disjoint space-DD?

Hmm...

DD space-disjoint?

This sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it... :drshrug:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
Ok, let's have some fun:

Reasoning behind Squirtle, Samus, ZSS and Mewtwo being that low?
Samus: I think she dies incredibly early for being a heavy (she's floaty so ya lol). I think she should be higher now that I think about it

Squirtle: Squirtle is really good if played right/accurate and doesn't have abusable moves (if you count bubble as abusable though it can be punished easily). He dies really early for being squirtle. I also think his recovery is kind of predictable. I think this character needs buffs tbh.

ZSS: Honestly the reason why is the said above characters (B tier) I find a lot better dealing with things than ZSS does. I know her neutral is very good, but harder for her to clean a stock.

Mewtwo: I'm gonna be frank I don't know much about this character. I lack Mewtwo knowledge. It's just that I find the characters above him "better". I'm guessing Mew2 should be at least in C Tier then?

@ InfinityCollision InfinityCollision Ya ya I get it lol.

@ eideeiit eideeiit Where do you think Sonic should be?

Last edited:

eideeiit

Smash Ace
Between Luigi and Snake might work. Something inside me says he may be TLish but that's too bold with the current results.

Last edited:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Let's not do that.

Why is Luigi in the third group? Should also have a "Disregards your interactions, always plays the match their way" category :bluejump:

Disjoint space-DD?

Hmm...

DD space-disjoint?

This sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on it... :drshrug:
So do you think bowser should just never be able to approach properly with out a wave land from a platform?

Like i get that bowser should not have tons of armour, but what would you propose to give him an approach tool?

Fox is always S tier for some reason, why is olimar so low?

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
big is fixable, it just needs to be recognized that at the cost of strictly slower movement, your normals should all be strictly better.
Got a move with the same speed, same power as a quick character? That **** should reach way farther/have better coverage.
Got a move with the same power and same reach and a quick character? Needs to be much faster.
Got a move with the same reach/coverage and speed as a quick character? Needs to be strong as ****.

Like a lot of the slow characters already see this kind of general trend, but not on all their moves and not quite extreme enough. Generally they just see more power and/or reach but at the cost of the move's general speed, which defeats the whole point. These characters need something with reach that's safe on shield, on hit, on CC, everything, forcing the only correct response to be moving out of the way. The point is not so these characters just win every time they go in, it's so they can actually force the opponent to play the normal guessing game of "when will I go in?" everybody else has to play such that they can take space from the opponent if they choose not to play the guessing game. But as it is, Ganon/bowser's dash attacks still lose to shield, and those are their only long reaching tools. They can't really threaten space without going into the air and trying to force a mix-up that punishes them harder if the opponent guesses right then the punish they get on the opponent if they guess wrong. Like ganon can go into the air and float forward towards the opponent peach style and ask them "either give up space or risk taking the fair". But if the opponent takes the risk and guesses right, they hit an aerial ganon, and an aerial ganon in a combo is a dead ganon. If they guess wrong and eat the fair, they lose stage space and might be in a tech chase situation/knocked to the edge, if they're low/low-mid percents. They can try and whiff punish the fair, and ganon eats a hard punish. If they try to wait for a whiff punish and ganon does an empty landing instead to claim that stage space, that's all he gains. So the mix-up is, for ganon: take stage space or get a tech chase, if you guess right; maybe a pressure situation if they shield the fair. The mix-up for the opponent is: huge punish, or huge punish, if you guess right; maybe a pressure situation if they get up shield on the empty landing. This isn't really something that's in ganon's favor much until high percents. Bowser has the same issue but his is a little more complex since he can punish shields harder, while lacking a float, and has the option to try to beat direct attempts on his aerial vulnerability with nair. They need good grounded options in some form to deal with fast opponents or they're always gonna suffer due to aerial vulnerability. Bowser could get his second hit back on dash attack, that would be a start. Make it like -4/5 on shield, so if he needs to he can spotdodge/up-b to beat grab attempts OoS, rework some other stuff about it to make it a reasonable move overall but with more utility, maybe that would be all he needs to be a totally workable character. Sounds crazy, but the disparity between strong characters and slow ones on the ground in PM is crazy too.
i dunno, i like df's ideas (though, the specifics here are mostly ganon, he hits some good points...)

just let the slow characters control space way better. specifics, who knows? but the design paradigm seems sound.

JOE!

Smash Hero
Ganon needs cool evil-magic smash attacks instead of random kicks.

Make Usmash gerudo Dragon so it's Dacus-approved

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I was going to post a collection of dialogues from various places, and try to explain a certain thing about why I've seen the meta-game from a very different light. That idea compiled this (for now), so here is it.

Basically this

Nausicaa you post some of the more interesting theories here (by interesting, I mean not generally agreed upon, outlandish, etc.) but it would be helpful if you clarify why you think certain things.

My reply

It's odd from my end partially because I don't actually know what is outlandish and what isn't. If that makes sense. Asking me to explain stuff thoroughly enough to make sense would be like you trying to explain essentially the entire general perspective that the greater-community has of the game.
Examples
-You'd have to go into detail on how TL can play the same game-plan against a lot of the cast and how that shuts down a lot of characters almost completely, while barely taking a toll on others, but that his aerial and disjoint game makes the same game-plan work against all those who don't mind the bombs because the rest of that aerial/disjoint kit allows for such a strong counter-approach that he still goes to bomb-tossing as a center rather than fishing for D-Tilts against characters that bomb-tossing doesn't work against.
Then do that with every character about everything.

- Another is how I never understood how people thought Luigi, Wario, GW, ROB, Sonic, Pika, Ike --- I don't even know who else people thought were bad, were BAD, and I couldn't really tell you if they're STILL thought of as bad. To me, they never were, and I never pay enough attention to what everyone else is saying regarding viability, but rather pay attention to things like...

-How can one character deal with these things/this character.
-How can those things/that character deal with that one character's stuff.
-back and forth

Which is the only thing Tier-List discussion is ever really useful for. Trying to learn the game, it makes a good catalyst for it. (and why I like this thread)
The rest goes over my head.
Glad it gets mentioned though.

I'm just gonna rant in any direction and try highlighting a character so people know when I start talking about them.

I whipped together a quick Tier-List for 3.6b 2 days before 3.6 dropped.
It was rough, but gave me a good idea of what I was looking at differently, so I dissected it.

I'll start from the Melee-core characters since they're kind of a bench-mark to everyone in SOME way and seem to be brought up a lot in discussion when I list things. Whether as a basis for match-up understanding, or gate-keepers to being a good character in PM.

This is what my quickly thrown together 3.6b list looked like with everything removed except Melee-ish characters.

:mewtwopm:
:pikachu2::mario2::samus2::luigi2::fox::toonlink:
:falcon::roypm:
:yoshi2::falco::peach::gw::marth::ness2:
:popo::sheik::jigglypuff::kirby2::zelda::ganondorf:
:dk2::link2:
:bowser2:

At a glance, someone may notice that I don't think very highly of the Melee-top-tier in PM. I never really have, and that includes the favorite Designated S-Tier Fox.

I've ranted about how each of them is 'good' before, but this can be looked at in multiple ways.
From Melee-to-PM, or PM-exclusively.

Using the batch of characters around Fox in that list (the 'high/mid' Tier of Melee) as an easy example to start...

My best guess is that people think characters like Pikachu, Mario, Samus, Luigi, Toon Link, etc, are a LOT worse in Melee than they really are. All of these characters are clearly 2 things.
BOTH things.

1) Weaker than the top-end Melee characters
-AND-
2) Can keep up with them in a lot of ways.

BOTH of these are very observable and easy to see with just a bit of contemplation/exploration. It seems like the latter was lost, and that they're considered ONLY as weak-melee-characters when they're coming into PM, as if they couldn't do much of anything before.

A simple thing that I'm sure everyone has noticed is how characters like Pikachu :pikachu2:are considered basically bottom-tier or lower on tier-lists throughout every PM incarnation. Even today.

-Talking about Melee-to-PM and going into PM-exclusive a bit here...
We've seen Pika have great showings in recent years in Melee, whether it's top-placings at major tournaments, or beating top-players in what are considered nearly not-winnable match-ups.
So, if taking a look at what COULD make Pika a solid contender, what would it be?

He has solid moves that were lacking in his kit (B-Air), more damage across a lot of key moves (Jolt/U-Air), simple things like a Crawl, less lag on recovering along with a new diverse tool (QAC), the ability to RETREAT out of IASA frames (D-Tilt), RAR/wave-bounce/etc stuff that compliments him more than most (U-Air/new B-Air with RAR, Down/Neutral-B wave-bouncing, great ground-air-ground transition game)

What more does this character need to be ON PAR with the Melee top-end?
Let alone BETTER than the Melee top-tier?
Stubby arms?
Improve his key moves there then (Grab, F-Air, D-Air).
Throw him in a game where more universal stock-taking options are beneficial from gimps to vertical kills in a game with diversity?
All of this is done.
What now?
What can this character POSSIBLY need to be an equal with the top-end Melee characters?

I've yet to understand it, and simply don't see it, and I've been curious to know what people think has to be done to Pikachu to MAKE him one of the best characters in the game.
This has never gotten an answer.
Especially when near the end of 3.02, he was one of the few actually considered to likely go even with the Designated S-Tier Fox AND the Beast of 3.02 Mewtwo. Both of them in the same game, and still be bad in that game.

I don't understand how someone can think a character could be on the weak end of a game and STILL think THAT is possible, yet that's what has happened in every PM patch to-date. Ganon can't even do anything against Mewtwo, yet Pika did better than MOST in that match-up, and isn't better than almost anyone?

It's always been directed at me, in the sense I've been told to explain why characters like Pikachu are good, when it really seems like everyone else needs to explain why they're NOT that good. Getting an explanation as to why Pikachu is NOT one of the better characters, as an example of the MANY characters I've been asked to point out strengths in, is something that has never even come close to happening.
"He can be punished hard" I guess is the closest that has ever come next to something like "stubby arms"
As if Fox/Mewtwo/Ganonlol have an easy time catching him in the first place, and as if CF/Lucas/Marth getting punished hard makes them bottom-tier on every list alongside Pikachu too *they-never-are-though.

How about Samus? :samus2: She's solid, isn't she? What's her problem? Too slow to be good?
Melee-to-PM, how about giving her a Roll, a Crawl, faster and bigger and better hit-boxes on key moves and making more of her moves useful in all areas of her game.
If she was in Melee with these buffs, would she be on-par with Melee-tops at last, or still weak?

Her Z-Air was new, and it was the best move in 3.02 that was never talked about nearly enough. It's still there in a lesser form.
What do these characters need to be contenders for top spots?

Samus got some attention in 3.02 it appears, and that stayed a bit into 3.5/3.6, so that's good.

TL :toonlink: is in the same boat. Got some attention and it stuck. Yet this seemed so obvious from day-1. As mentioned in the quote above-
TL can play the same game-plan against a lot of the cast and that shuts down a lot of characters almost completely, while barely taking a toll on others, but his aerial and disjoint game makes the same game-plan work against all those who don't mind the bombs because the rest of that aerial/disjoint kit allows for such a strong counter-approach that he still goes to bomb-tossing as a center rather than fishing for D-Tilts against characters that bomb-tossing doesn't work against.
-he's basically a really solid character that plays like a bag of counter-play options inside a cage of stock-taking conversions, and somehow you need to get whatever is in the bag while it's taped to the back of a wild boar.

YL was functioning mildly with NO GRAB, that alone would help him huge. In 2.1 he had a Galaxy-Grab (grabs you from space) and it lead to some of the most busted easy-mode stock-ending strings possible. That behind the 1 game-plan that YL somehow made work, buffed to core-game (Jiggs-B-Air centralized) levels, and he's pretty obviously strong. The discussion I guess leads to "is he better than the Melee-top-tier" and as far as I'm concerned, more characters in the game fear TL than any of THEM.

Some characters can't even get Samus off the ground.
Some characters can't even get to TL passed the mess.
THEY are the gate-keepers if PM ever had any.

Mario :mario2: is on the TL/Samus end too. Got some attention, that faded a bit, but most of this was seemingly due to an ease-of-play with a certain style that involved almost everything that an end-game Mario wouldn't be doing. In Melee, my Mario/Fox could beat Mango's Mario/Fox, and his Mario/Fox could beat my Mario/Fox. This was in 2010, so a while ago, but In our matches, we both noted very directly at how we barely ever jumped. Ever. Mario simply can't get away with that kind of commitment when it comes to end-game level play.

Yet all I've really see in PM Mario-matches from 2.1 to today is things like full-jump Fireballs and attempts at D-Air, or some aerial into D-Smash or raw approach into clipping someone with something.

He can get away with this in the sense that he has a lot of hard-hitbox coverage, but as soon as Mario is seen as a character that uses that to cover his holes in neutral and choke people out with spacing and short-burst maneuvers, rather than force openings or holes in the opponents game, the sooner his meta-game will be seen like that of a modern-day Falco, rather than a 2007 Melee Falco trying to laser into direct combos because counter-offensive play isn't coming his way yet.

Once the basis of what I mention in the DAT Smash is starting to look like a puzzle coming together in the meta-game among top-players in the public eye, then the general public will start to get an idea of what Mario can ACTUALLY do in PM, and how good he really is.
http://smashboards.com/threads/stubby-arms-and-fireballs-the-comprehensive-mario-guide.346088/
That DAT thing should explain it, but basically Mario is a fortress of defensive-to-offensive transition options and can maneuver through anything. IF he stays grounded and keeps the fortress up.
There is no thing that Mario can't deal with, and it has NOTHING to do with being a diverse and flexible character. Mario can deal with anything simply because he can play a defensive ground game that is essentially impenetrable.
Stop getting hit. It's easy with any of these characters, and Mario does it through a foundation of dashes and shields and pokes that never get him in trouble. The cool stuff happens naturally, everybody knows that, so it has to come eventually where people stop going for it and just let Mario do his cool things when they come.
Falco-style, really. Falco going for D-Air > Jab > D-Smash on shields would be weird, and it's weird to me when Mario does it today. This is old and would have looked really odd if a D-Smash followed even at that point of the meta, it looks weird from PM Mario right now.
http://gfycat.com/VapidRaggedAruanas
Imagine a Mario that simply never gets hit, and is always around the opponent to threaten them. THAT is the Mario that will come, and THAT is the Mario that shuts down the rest of the PM roster.

:luigi2: this is another big story but short-form...
We've seen random players spamming Hail-Mary Up-B's and Down-B-Repeat strings both do very well, and everything between. Similar to Mario, in terms of the way an ACTUAL end-game style and game-plan has yet to surface on any world-class level but is slowly being gravitated TOWARD at every level of play, and is inevitable, the same is the case with Luigi.

Soon we may see the campy spacing Luigi do well, with F-Tilts and aerials and playing very safe, hardly doing any real approaches but being precise and picking moments (think 'Ka' style), or maybe the fly-by Luigi will surface, similar to the Up-B straight-approach but with U-Tilts and Smashes and Grabs all raw out of simple and direct play. Maybe the complexity will show up in some ball by someone. Either way, nobody seems to have any idea how good this character is at all.

All I'll bother with this one is, he's gotten some attention recently as a "Maybe he's not so bad" character. What is it that people missed if they think he's low-tier instead of bottom-tier? Why didn't they think he was mid-tier instead of low-tier before? Why do they think he's high-tier now instead of mid-tier?

What is everyone REALLY missing/looking for/seeing? Pay close attention and maybe we'll see.
For now, I don't see what everyone is missing, and I have NO IDEA AT ALL why people think he's better now than they thought he was in 2.1.
Not much has changed with HIM, did the game around him change that much to benefit him?
Or do people still think he's bad? If so, I still don't get it. What makes him bad? What WOULD make him on-par with the Melee-Top-Tier?

Again, it makes no sense, and if someone can explain why Luigi is suddenly a lot better in 3.5/etc, that would be great. Never has someone been able to explain why he's bad, or show why he's bad, and the only explanations that come up support him being quite good, and the only demonstrated stuff about Luigi in any matches or tournaments or anything basically screams that he's VERY strong. This has been the way it is since day-1 of 2.1, just like with the others, and I don't get it.

Is it possible that everyone who thinks he's a "little better" now, missed something else, and will think he's better at a later date? Very likely.
Screw his stock-taking or neutral-breaking and speed and range... The character can be very non-committal while remaining to be a threat. There is plenty of counter-play in the sense of nullifying a lot of Luigi's more 'direct' options, but this is no different than stopping Puff from hitting you with Raw B-Air's. She can still use B-Air as a center-piece, and adjust in a way that it's threatening without getting herself killed. Every counter-play to Luigi to-date has been minimal, and every counter-play TO that counter-play has been minimal on Luigi's end. The meta-game is a baby in this one STILL.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, or worth discussing, but that's something that I see when I look at the game, and always has been.

Everyone around here seems to be approaching the 'goodness-of-characters' topic from the opposite direction. I completely understand why, but I also understand very well that none of the people who are doing so completely understand why they do.

Hence the confusion.

I'll be confused in my little bubble. You'll all be confused with mine.
Smash is good like that.

Edit:
On-topic
The only thing that changed about Ganon from early Project M patches to recent Project M patches, is that he has a better chance of landing the connections he works for WHEN he has worked for them.

He could always corner people, he could always take up space, he could always play a mouse-trap game where he makes things seem safe when they're not, and could get hits that way.

Yet when he put all the work into doing so, he was STILL left with very little change of hitting the opponent without a simple resetting of the situation being at arms-reach for them.

What a momentum-based command grab, hover, and other tools provided him, is some of the essentials necessary to have that final play in the corner-and-connect game FUNCTIONAL.
Functional is something Ganon has never been before, because of THIS specifically.

PM is the first time that he's be functional is Smash.
That's a huge leap forward.

Bowser gained a bit of this from a different angle in 3.6, if this is seen clearly, it'll make a lot more sense for everyone regarding balancing big and slow characters.
There's a reason the extremes from Link to DK work the way they do and somehow STILL work. This is why.

Last edited:

Boiko

I think that the problem here, Nausicaa, is that you're considering these characters better or "on par with melee top tiers" because they received certain buffs. But it's not nearly as one dimensional as that.

What you're not considering is just how much melee top tiers outclassed the remainder of the cast. How these buffs that the lower tier characters received aren't the tools that they need to contend with a top tier neutral. It doesn't matter that Luigi received enhancements to his normals when he still has no answer to Marth's sword. Or that Pikachu received a better bair when he's still weak to dash dancing.

You can make Falcon's knee kill 20 percent earlier and have his up throw set up into it at all percents, but he'll still lose every exchange to a well placed Fox up tilt. People say that Fox:Samus is pretty close to even in melee, but it's really much more difficult than that. Does Samus have tools to deal with Fox's neutral game, yes. But then Fox has more tools to deal with Samus' response.

Buffing melee mid tiers is nice, and it helps them in the game as a whole, but it doesn't mean that they're able to compete with a character who has an answer to everything, like Fox.

Boiko

I think QAC is a pretty good answer to DDing to be honest.
It's better than what he had in melee, for sure. But I personally still don't see it as being that great of an answer.

Another quick point on the list above. Ness gets beaten very badly by Marth, and beats or goes even with only four of the characters below him. How could he possibly hold that tier position when he loses to everyone below him? It's not like he wins against everyone above him.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Thanks for providing an example of exactly what I'm talking about.

I'll fix it for people to see a little better.

Pikachu is the embodiment of an answer to DD
DD is an attempt at answering to Pikachu

Contemplate that and you'll see it a little better.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
It's better than what he had in melee, for sure. But I personally still don't see it as being that great of an answer.
Wel first let's look at what QAC is.

It's a burst movement option that has a pretty low start-up to it and travels fast. And you can jump out of it, use any aerial out of it, or airdodge out of it for a waveland. That is a lot of things someone DDing has to consider for their DD spacing.

The tech is cray cray.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
So do you think bowser should just never be able to approach properly with out a wave land from a platform?

Like i get that bowser should not have tons of armour, but what would you propose to give him an approach tool?

Fox is always S tier for some reason, why is olimar so low?
It's not that I think Bowser shouldn't have armor, it's that he shouldn't have armor implemented in ways that encourage degenerate/abusive play. This is what we saw in 3.5, and I see no reason to recreate that. There are situations where he should be able to make strategic use of armor in a limited capacity, but old nair/DA armor was basically a bandaid for his otherwise lackluster kit. We can do better than retreading the mistakes of the past.

As far as approaches... That's not his problem. Think of him as a grappler or mighty glacier. Limited mobility, strong defense, explosive punishes when he does get in. The main priorities I see for him right now are making sure his defensive options are in a good place (spotdodges/rolls were a good start) and making sure the opponent can't just zone or camp him out the whole time. If he and his opponent play the same game, if his defenses are strong, if his punishes have the necessary amount of "boom" to them, he'll be okay.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
It's not that I think Bowser shouldn't have armor, it's that he shouldn't have armor implemented in ways that encourage degenerate/abusive play. This is what we saw in 3.5, and I see no reason to recreate that. There are situations where he should be able to make strategic use of armor in a limited capacity, but old nair/DA armor was basically a bandaid for his otherwise lackluster kit. We can do better than retreading the mistakes of the past.

As far as approaches... That's not his problem. Think of him as a grappler or mighty glacier. Limited mobility, strong defense, explosive punishes when he does get in. The main priorities I see for him right now are making sure his defensive options are in a good place (spotdodges/rolls were a good start) and making sure the opponent can't just zone or camp him out the whole time. If he and his opponent play the same game, if his defenses are strong, if his punishes have the necessary amount of "boom" to them, he'll be okay.
But he gets zoned out and camped out really easily if a character has more than 1 projectile or just 1 really good one. and his defense, do you mean his weight? His weight is useless when its used to combo him to 100% or his size to chain grab him to a kill percent follow up. know what i mean?

Top Bottom