• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

Please stop throwing that word around everyone. "Jank" should be reserved for something outside the norms of the game such as clipping and falling into a stage.

Jank is a terrible term for anything relating to character balance/tools

Its the equivalent of using "that's gay" to describe something. Its childish and a cop-out. Use more specific words that don't have such a vague and negative meaning.

Toxic would fall in that category as well. (Unless we're talking about Pokemon moves =P) Unhealthy or Unintuitive are much better to use.
to my understanding, "jank" describes something of dubious or questionable quality. and citing infinite tech chases as an optimized punishment in the face of years of counter-evidence is just that. i can think of no better way to describe it.

edit- providing "evidence" for a sense of intuition is by its very nature impossible. there is a time and place for the burden of truth, but describing one's sensory observations is not it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
meta knight can tech chase bowser to death with the same grab over and over. it kinda really sucks because they can just tech chase (yes your rolls, techs, everything is that bad that you cant really do anything) until they fling you off the edge and then laugh as they back air you until you die. Its basically up there with falcon and shiek with bad MU after metaknight gets the grab (until that though its not so bad at all) also ice climbers can also chain grab bowser to death... that's super fun also.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
a minute ago i was like "you know what it's been like a year i'mma go on smashboards i bet someone is complaining about bad matchups on the pm boards"

i wasn't wrong

Chevy

Smash Ace
I don't want jumpsquats normalized, it just helps heavy characters feel heavier. 8 Frames for Bowser was a case of it actually inhibiting him pretty hard, so the slight reduction to some characters in 3.5 was probably fine, but I think we've pretty much got it perfect at this point. I don't want everyone to feel the same.

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
edit- providing "evidence" for a sense of intuition is by its very nature impossible. there is a time and place for the burden of truth, but describing one's sensory observations is not it.
fair enough, the point I was trying to make was that the word 'unintuitive' has been used in virtually the same way as 'toxic' despite 'intuition' frequently being presented as 'not needing to know how to SDI' and the like.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
i have watched strongbad work on wario for the past year or so, and i think wario is absolutely perfect and would change nothing. personally i would prefer to change sheik to match wario in both power level and ethos, and i myself would play it.
In what world is bite mixup into waft good for the game. Seriously curious.

D

Deleted member

personally i think wario is fun as hell to play with and against, and i dont mind getting hit by bite > whatever because to me it seems powerful but not degenerate. and i wish we had more of that. but then its become incredibly apparent that i want a cast with a higher power level than most people do based on this thread. same with GAW up B, sure it may be a little too good but its cool that the character has a powerful tool like that. besides, you have to draw the line in the sand somewhere, and if you take out all of those things you get a very boring game.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
to my understanding, "jank" describes something of dubious or questionable quality. and citing infinite tech chases as an optimized punishment in the face of years of counter-evidence is just that. i can think of no better way to describe it.

I didn't say infinite tech chase was possible. I said it was easy to techchase Bowser/Squirtle for an incredibly long period of time.

Jank is such a vague term sometimes its hard to tell. In that context it was fine but we need to be more strict with our use of the word. Some people will throw it on literally everything like its bacon bits.

I don't want jumpsquats normalized, it just helps heavy characters feel heavier. 8 Frames for Bowser was a case of it actually inhibiting him pretty hard, so the slight reduction to some characters in 3.5 was probably fine, but I think we've pretty much got it perfect at this point. I don't want everyone to feel the same.
There's already a significant difference between 3 and 5 frames, so they already don't feel the same IMO.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
At the very least can Lucas have a frame 3 jumpsquat then. It feels site weird for such a mobile to have, what I believe is, a frame 5 jumpsquart. It feels so weird on him. Pit having a frame 5 js also feels weird.

Also whIle I'm on Lucas, whyou the hell does his magnet have a delay on it (as in you have to let it go before you can just out of it) when his magnet is not only slower then the Spacies' Shines (and like only a frame or 2, I forget currently, faster then Ness') but also only hits in front of him rather then all around him. It doesn't make sense and feels kinda bad.

I also think OU is kinda stupid and think how it rewards Lucas is bad design and think it could be turned into so e thing much cooler that would give Lucas a lot more flare. But I'm not sure how derailing to the thread it would be if I went in depth with my idea.

Also I've been playing Lucas a lot recently and he has take over my interest of MK because of all the room he has to grow and he feels almost perfect (two minor annoyances to his mobility hurts and my disliking of how OU rewards you). But really good character and I think he is another easy top 10 (top 15 at the very least) but that might just be me.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Magnet hitting in front is literally the best thing about lucas

Rediculous pressure with a decent disjoint is crazyyyy

Idk I don't know if I agree with umbreon about most of the discussion, but I do get what he means about characters feeling good and strong, with some really good options that are a little dumb but not degenerate(Diddy's banana, wario's bite/upair, ivy pummel/upthrow heal amounts, samus crawl, wolf nair shine, etc). You have fun/good/solid characters, and then you get characters like kirby/link who are good but sometimes feel like they just lack that dumb tool that makes them interesting. Only fun thing with kirby is dair>footstool loops. Maybe that just comes with playing simple characters. Neon said something once like "hard characters should always be the best" and I don't really agree with that but when easy/simple characters are the best it just means their options are strong enough that they can stick to just a simple shallow game plan and get far, and when they get nerfed there's not a huge amount of tools they have to make the bad situations workable (3.0 link to 3.5 basically)

That said I'm pretty content with the state of the game right now lol. Yeah there are clearly top tiers still and there are still clear bad characters, it's not that far of a difference between them

Last edited:

Narelex

Smash Journeyman

Idk I don't know if I agree with umbreon about most of the discussion, but I do get what he means about characters feeling good and strong, with some really good options that are a little dumb but not degenerate(Diddy's banana, wario's bite/upair, ivy pummel/upthrow heal amounts, samus crawl, wolf nair shine, etc). You have fun/good/solid characters, and then you get characters like kirby/link who are good but sometimes feel like they just lack that dumb tool that makes them interesting. Only fun thing with kirby is dair>footstool loops. Maybe that just comes with playing simple characters. Neon said something once like "hard characters should always be the best" and I don't really agree with that but when easy/simple characters are the best it just means their options are strong enough that they can stick to just a simple shallow game plan and get far, and when they get nerfed there's not a huge amount of tools they have to make the bad situations workable (3.0 link to 3.5 basically)

That said I'm pretty content with the state of the game right now lol. Yeah there are clearly top tiers still and there are still clear bad characters, it's not that far of a difference between them
Agreed we just need to iron out the outliers and we should be good tbh.

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Yea it is good offensively (but I think arguing it to be straight up better then Shine offensively is a bit of a stretch) and isn't quite that good defensively at the cost of the good offensive use (there are still moments it can be good in that kind of situation but lacks for variety in those kinds of situations). And it still doesn't make the delay not feel horribad. Which is something I think is important to consider when it comes to design (for all my gripes with Shines I would never want to see them get a delay if they stay the same or end up getting a longer frame to come out (and by extension late JC frames) because it just feels weird. Feel is also why I mentioned wanting Lucas to have a frame 3 jumpsquat because it doesn't make sense to me for such a mobile character to have such a long jumpsquat and it just kinda feels weird on him as a result (I also feel similarly about Pit and his frame 5 jumpsquat, but I think frame 4 would be better for him). Like he feels almost perfect in terms of mobility but those 2 things keep on getting at me because they just feel off for his character type, to me. Like they aren't enough to deter me.

Honestly if anything ends up deterring me from him/losing interest in as a possible second character to use in tourney with Toon Link it is gonna be OU because I plain dislike the way the move works right now. But I also think it has the potential to be changed into something amazing that has the same basic premise the move implies. I'm just not sure if I should talk about the idea I have in my head here (cause I'm not sure it really belongs in this thread or just on the Lucas boards to be safe).

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
At the very least can Lucas have a frame 3 jumpsquat then. It feels site weird for such a mobile to have, what I believe is, a frame 5 jumpsquart. It feels so weird on him. Pit having a frame 5 js also feels weird.
Both characters have four frame jumpsquats.

Also whIle I'm on Lucas, whyou the hell does his magnet have a delay on it (as in you have to let it go before you can just out of it) when his magnet is not only slower then the Spacies' Shines (and like only a frame or 2, I forget currently, faster then Ness') but also only hits in front of him rather then all around him. It doesn't make sense and feels kinda bad.
Because the repeating hitbox has set knockback. The release hitbox is the one that launches. Forward hitbox is also 1) a good thing given his design and 2) a unique trait. I don't see how it feels bad or doesn't make sense at all, magnet's always felt fine and very natural to me. Making it JCable during the hitboxes would require significantly reworking his magnet to avoid making it incredibly abusive; I really don't see any need for that sort of rework here and certainly don't want to see it given what it brings to his gameplay in ways that are both fun to use and play against.

I also think OU is kinda stupid and think how it rewards Lucas is bad design
Elaborate?

Regarding the "completed character" discussion earlier, no way in hell DK should be considered complete. If anything my guess is that he got no changes for lack of an agreed-upon direction in which to make further changes.

Food for thought: there are only ten characters in the cast without a projectile. Wario, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Kirby, MK, Ike, Marth, Roy, Sonic, and DK. Spot the trends here. Four swordsmen, three characters with stellar air games (albeit some arguably having issues of their own), two characters with incredible ground games (CF's presence here is a lie, he's actually a living projectile)... and a partridge Ganondorf and DK, two fatties with clear strengths but also difficulty forcing any sort of meaningful interaction with the rest of the cast. DK had a better starting point thanks to decent ground mobility/dashdance and Ganondorf has slowly been getting tools to help him out here (RIP nair though), but they're still clearly flawed characters and probably always will be without expanded toolsets. I'm not necessarily saying they need projectiles, but they clearly need something.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
What I get for trusting that one sticky thread on this sub-forum. Ah well. And they certainly don't feel like frame 4.

I still would like Lucas to have frame 3 though.

Because the repeating hitbox has set knockback. The release hitbox is the one that launches. Forward hitbox is also 1) a good thing given his design and 2) a unique trait. I don't see how it feels bad or doesn't make sense at all, magnet's always felt fine and very natural to me. Making it JCable during the hitboxes would require significantly reworking his magnet to avoid making it incredibly abusive; I really don't see any need for that sort of rework here and certainly don't want to see it given what it brings to his gameplay in ways that are both fun to use and play against.
I like Lucas' Magnet for the most part and how unique it is. I just really dislike the delay as I find the delay to feel bad everything else about it I find good but I can also live with the delay if I have to (I'm just not that fond of it, at all).

Elaborate?
The only significant reward he gets from OU is Usmash and that is mostly due to the absurd range he gets from it. Fsmash and Dsmash don't really need the boost as their kill power is already fine for the niche they cover. Which all makea OU really just revolve getting an absolutely stupid Usmash. And if they were to make default Usmash a little bigger all around (I dunno, maybe around half of OU Usmash or a little less then that?) and just add a little more power to all three Smashes it wouldn't bee needed. I just don't like how it boosts him in areas he doesn't really need boosting in or boosts him to absurd amounts in another area with an insane combo finisher. It just feels tacked on with not much real thought. I do like the base idea though, of increasing his kill power (but he already has good kill power as is).

What I would really like to see on him is a stance change sort of thing instead. His default stance would be combo/weak stance which is what the name implies, a stance revolved around damaging the opponent in strings and combos to rack up damage quick and fast and his attacks would have little commitment but no kill power at all. His other stance would be kill/strong stance which makes him lose his comboability and his overall safeness in weak stance but he gains really good kill power on all his moves to finish the stock. To go further his weak stance to strong stance could be a relatively safe animation that is quick and fast allow him to finish a combo with a kill move in kill stance after he did his comboing in weak stance but going from strong to weak stance is more of a commitment and takes long meaning you need to be sure you are ready to go into strong stance. Of course I have no idea how practical it is to create. I could see how this whole thing sounds ridiculous but I do think it would give him more flare then how OU currently does while still using the base idea of OU.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
If people truly want better spot dodges, then they need to look at the list of everyone's and decide what the least usable but still acceptable spot dodge is.

imo anything that lasts longer than 27 frames right now is terrible and needs changing.

DDD/Ganon/Wario/Falcon/DK/Bowser have ones that are 32 frames or longer.

idk why either, spot dodges go from ending on 22, to 25, to 27, then all of a sudden 32.

all imo

for DDD/Ganon/Wario/Falcon, all are 2-20 end on 32. simply shave off 3 frames of ending lag

same with falcon except make his start on 2 rather than 3.

DK. 2-23 ends on 37. cut off 1 frame of invincibility make end on 29

bowser 4-24 ends on 42. LOL. start on 2 or 3 end on 31. don't change when invinc ends

although I'm not 100% if these have frame speed modifiers on them. so these numbers could be wrong. but we all still know they are terrible
Just want to point out ganon had his spot dodge buffed to be in the top tiers of spot dodges as if 3.0

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
The only significant reward he gets from OU is Usmash
Uhhhhhhh no? OU Usmash's benefits are just more obvious because it double dips via both size and power, which is why everyone gravitates to it even though that leads to them missing potential opportunities elsewhere. You talk about fsmash and dsmash not "needing" that kill power, neither does usmash. That's the whole point of OU - it takes an offensive powerhouse and rewards him for good play by boosting his damage output and kill potential even further.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord
Its a laggy command grab with short range, so you can first either outrange or outmaneuver it unless its mid-combo. Once he lands it, you still get a 50/50 (or better if you are good at reading your opponent, or worse if he's better at reading you) to get out of it. Then if he has not used his only recovery mixup in a while, he can expend it to kill you, but only if you were already at kill percent.

Sorry, I don't see how its a problem. What part is a problem? The part where waft charge stays with stocks? The part where waft has ludicrous knockback? The part where bite is a command grab on a character with the aerial mobility of Jigglypuff? I can see arguments that any one of these things should go, but none of them have to do with them linking together. I see no problem with the actual linkage of bite into waft.

Lens

Smash Rookie
There's not much OU actually changes in terms of gameplay, you charge when you can't do anything else, and keep it in your pocket until it suits you. Aside from baiting/using OU burst, there's not much reason for either player to deviate from their normal decisions, aside from the Lucas player maybe wanting to wait harder for an uber-KO opportunity.

My thoughts are, why not put the buff on a time limit? Then, if you want to do something about OU, you can space Lucas out and punish if he over-presses his approach, or keep him staggered so he can't use it. The Lucas player also has greater incentive to approach, and OU burst already exists as an interesting way to swing momentum during a higher-stakes phase. Add flexible duration based on charge time and you've got a move that's more than just an arbitrary boost between stocks.
Without semi-infinite duration, you could tone down OU smashes to ~1.25x damage, from 1.5x (same goes for usmash hitbox size), in exchange for giving tilts and normals slightly increased damage output, decompensating KB. Unlike smashes/burst, these wouldn't need to dissipate on whiff, and spreading the damage boost out would encourage more elaborate combos while also taking focus off of OU usmash as the sole reason OU isn't a trivial mechanic.

Last edited:

TheGravyTrain

Smash Ace
NNID
Theboyingreen
On using years of smash as evidence against reaction tech chasing. Reaction tech chasing is something that if perfected, leads to many zero to death situation. Maybe my history is flawed (and please correct me), but wasn't a big deal made of how M2K pushed the punish game to encompass that. So the focus on (and success of it) is much more recent. Add on to that the difficulty. When M2K pushed his punish game, it was mostly marth v spacies that we think of and we can all agree between the two, marth v spacies is much more manageable.

On mobile and in a rush, so I can't quote/reread the post if there was anything else. I dont think history is the correct argument here. Also, @Umbreon weren't you saying at the top level of play people can react to sheiks throw mixup? Wasn't it also proven how many frames to react was like 14-16. If so, you can react to tech in place with a grab for 7 framers. Characters that are mobile like Swuirtle, Falcon, Sheik, and others if they react to tech rolls at the same point and still grab tech rolls. Miss tech has some 30 frames required before getup attack hitboxes can come out, so you should be able to react.

Sorry if this is all scatterbrained and has misinfo, I just wanted to put some of this out there. Btw, the best argument against reaction tech chasing is stamina (doing it in tourney tons of times in a row) imo.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Uhhhhhhh no? OU Usmash's benefits are just more obvious because it double dips via both size and power, which is why everyone gravitates to it even though that leads to them missing potential opportunities elsewhere. You talk about fsmash and dsmash not "needing" that kill power, neither does usmash. That's the whole point of OU - it takes an offensive powerhouse and rewards him for good play by boosting his damage output and kill potential even further.
Your right Usmash doesn't need the kill power. That is why I most predominantly mentioned the absurd range increase. That is really the only significant change OU provides. As none of the rest really changes his gameplan because he doesn't need that boost in kill power. Your last sentence is literally the whole reason why I dislike the move. It increases his kill power when he doesn't need the increase and the only significant thing he gets from it is the range increase to Upsmash as none of the rest changes what he does. That is why I do not like it that much as a move and find it to not be good design.

One liner version: The whole point of OU is pointless.

Ya Boy GP

Smash Apprentice
I think OU is in a pretty good spot right now without being overpowering or stupid. The best thing about OU right now is that you get OU burst. Having a frame 2 get off me move as Lucas is amazing because of his already bad defensive options. The charge on smash attacks is kind of silly imo considering they're already good without the charge, but having that leads to a higher risk for using OU burst so I get it.

I think if OU burst was changed to buff something else that Lucas has issues dealing with, like having issues killing in a similar way Marth has killing, then it would be more interesting and have a much higher risk/reward ratio and make OU burst usage much more interesting. But at the same time, if OU was changed to something like that, it might be way too good.

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
This OU talk. With its plz change this pmdt because I don't like it and the Wario bite to fart is broken salt from NZA has brought me to post this thought of mine.

I feel the game is, and was in 3.5 really really close to being done balance wise. When you think about it, there is no way in hell we will achieve perfect balance, but we do want to be close. I think we are really close. I can list of many characters that feel done to me, that feel totally complete: Wolf, Shiek, Roy, Marth, Lucas, Wario, MK, Ike, Saumus, Falco, and Game and Watch being the ones I can list off the top of my head.
All these characters are strong in the meta, have room to be developed/are melee top tiers. And all of these characters have something really cool about them that draws interest. If none of these characters changed ever again I would be cool with it, there is nothing broken about them and the small changes, like the nerf to Mario, who I would've put on this list in 3.5, with the change to Mario's down tilt, the development of Mario has been stalled for no reason I can see.
I believe we need to keep the changes to a minimum for most/maybe only half, of the cast and focus on buffing up the crappy Jigglypuff, Bowser, Gannon, DDD,and Ness level characters, and giving the "boring" characters like Kirby and Link something unique and quit freaking changing everything and resetting the meta every six months.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On using years of smash as evidence against reaction tech chasing. Reaction tech chasing is something that if perfected, leads to many zero to death situation. Maybe my history is flawed (and please correct me), but wasn't a big deal made of how M2K pushed the punish game to encompass that. So the focus on (and success of it) is much more recent. Add on to that the difficulty. When M2K pushed his punish game, it was mostly marth v spacies that we think of and we can all agree between the two, marth v spacies is much more manageable.

On mobile and in a rush, so I can't quote/reread the post if there was anything else. I dont think history is the correct argument here. Also, @Umbreon weren't you saying at the top level of play people can react to sheiks throw mixup? Wasn't it also proven how many frames to react was like 14-16. If so, you can react to tech in place with a grab for 7 framers. Characters that are mobile like Swuirtle, Falcon, Sheik, and others if they react to tech rolls at the same point and still grab tech rolls. Miss tech has some 30 frames required before getup attack hitboxes can come out, so you should be able to react.

Sorry if this is all scatterbrained and has misinfo, I just wanted to put some of this out there. Btw, the best argument against reaction tech chasing is stamina (doing it in tourney tons of times in a row) imo.
i think this would be a good point to clarify some info about sheik's throw game for 2.5 to 3.5 then.

the first thing is DIing her throws. when you become a more experienced player, you do not try to DI whatever your opponent does on reaction to the attack. this is because you generally know what your opponent is trying to do, and you build in small ways to make those things less effective. for an easy example, when i do sheik's tilts, i hold down during their animation. this is obvious for dtilt, but i do it for ftilt and utilt too, so if i trade with the opponent (which is often since her moves are weak damage/knockback wise), i will get ASDI down and make my opponents conversions less effective. similarly, when i am grabbed by say luigi, i do not DI in reaction to the throw, but rather I DI to the act of being grabbed. this gives me more time to react. with luigi, you always want to DI up and behind him to make dthrow/upthrow combos less effective, you already have the good DI against fthrow even though its fast, and if he does bthrow the animation is long enough that you can change your DI before he releases your character.

the first misnomer is that sheik's throws are this way and not a true mixup. if you try to react to sheiks throws like an actual mixup, you will take the 50/50 and lose it quite often. if you look for a more universal DI, you can sidestep this issue nicely. if your character is in the floaty or pseudo floaty category, you want to react to the act of getting grabbed by sheik with DI up, and then when she does the throw, you do a subtle DI inward against the throw, and force her to attack you instead of regrabbing. you can then DI whatever attack she does away and generally reset to neutral like you can always do against sheik. if your character is a fastfaller or pseudo fastfaller, you react to being grabbed with DI down, and then try to follow the throw to 45 degrees down and away in the notches on the control stick. this DI will generally put your character outside of ftilt/dtilt spacing while also being too close for dash attack. you're in a tech situation similar to what 3.6 sheiks throws would do, which is still a minor positional disadvantage, but overall its just not very powerful for her to work with.

if you do these things, sheik's throw game is still potent, but relies much more on the inexperience or human error of the opponent. it has counterplay while still feeling powerful. and frankly knowing these DIs is part of why ive bodied everyone in sheik dittos pretty easily- i always have the better punish game from doing the labwork, and imo the player should be rewarded for having that sort of knowledge, just like m2k was when he pioneered similar punishment options in melee. i would know, i was working with him extensively at the time and we learned it together.

the second issue with sheik's grab then, is that in knowing that there is always an optimal DI, there is an optimal choice for throws. hence, sheik's throws were never a true "mixup" in any way, since either dthrow or bthrow was better than the other in any given situation. this requires the sheik player to differentiate them well, and this gives an experienced opponent more counterplay with reactive DI when "they cant react to that" by the frame data. similarly, when i play strongbad's wario, the bite comparison is actually incredibly relevant- when i first played strongbad, he did some devastating 80+% combos to me as i got used to his character. however, i'm an experienced player and wario isn't doing anything inherently unfair, and i saw the holes to that punishment immediately. within maybe 3-4 matches and since then, i could play SB in 3.5 and he would greatly mitigate my punish game off of sheik's throws despite wario having a favorable combo weight for sheik's throws, and similarly i can mitigate SB's punish game. however rarely i get hit by bite > waft combo, i know it was my human error and not that it was unfair or unreactable, and its also generally because SB set up the bite as a frametrap to encourage me to DI inwards in tandem with something else because he inherently understands that a blind bite > waft will basically never hit. and i do the same thing in 3.5 with sheik's bthrow, because everything else she does besides kill fairs you generally want to DI away anyway. it's very much reactable but it keeps people honest. good players get hit by my punishes much less because they have learned how to handle it. i will still get them occasionally like SB hits me with bite > waft, but we are imperfect players and thats how it goes. sheik's throws were never really a "mixup" to begin with.

the third issue is that sheik's throws were still slightly problematic in 3.5, but i'd like to reinforce the point of "slightly". the real issue is that if you played a few specific characters like ganondorf or link, you should be dead from a grab regardless of DI because neither escape DI is good on their combo weight. i think this effect may have been masked since sheik generally destroys the characters with similar combo weights anyway, not because grabs are a free KO but because those characters coincidentally dont have the tools to handle sheik's ground options to begin with. the grab issue simply exacerbates that issue and may work to hide it. it also allows strong tech resets, and i don't buy that it's "infinite tech chasing" but i can also understand why its considered a bit too powerful. on the opposite side, sheik also has no truly good options vs fastfallers, since she does not have any high base knockback launchers (roy dtilt, peach dash attack) nor does she have an upthrow that specifically ruins them like say marth does. i suggested that sheik get 3.5 throws back for 3.6, but also to slightly nerf them by giving them more knockback growth so they don't effectively OHKO bad combo weights or force repeated tech situations upwards of 80%+. i also suggested that bthrow get a higher release point to be more effective vs fastfallers, leaving dthrow better against floaty characters. this removes some of the ambiguity behind sheik's throws if midlevel players still choose to play against it as a mixup. i think this should put the character on par with the wario samus ike ish tier, which is imo what the game should be balanced around- clearly powerful, but also fair and requires a lot from the player to make it work.

the issue with pal throws is that they are not threatening at all. it is not powerful and too easily reacted to. since sheik has no counterplay to this DI, she has little reason to use throws at all, but she also then has no way to beat CC abuse. so her best conversions are spamming safe fair/bair over and over with little reward. since she operates within a specific range, she also now loses to WD back and DD abuse since boostgrab is no longer a worthwhile option to check them. again, theres just no counterplay now. the correct counterplay to repeated tech chasing is not to try to "trick the opponent" and its not a mindgame. rather, all you have to do is not tech, stand, and do your best disrespect option over and over. even if the sheik player knows what you are going to do, you repeatedly put the onus on them to play within a very small frame window or lose their punishment and get converted on back. since her punishments are simply not very threatening, your risk of doing it over and over is very low. and since this is always your best option, that's where the depth of the game ends.

so here's how it plays out- i the sheik will grab you, and you will react to being grabbed and DI away, and i will try to tech chase it, and you will do a disrespect option every time and it will force me to be perfect to get a mediocre punish, or i will make an error and you will reset at little risk and possibly combo me back. knowing it's no longer worth it, i will just spam fair/bair without grabs, and you can exploit this with CC/DD/WD abuse in neutral into more potent conversions, also known as "good basic play" that the entire rest of the cast can do. it's shallow, boring, unfun for both players, and pushes people off the character and out of the game. and it's true, the few dedicated sheik players have all switched characters or quit, and i understand why. she can still do okay at mid level for people that dont understand this so "she's not that bad", but against good players having poor conversions is a death sentence to viability. even if you thought sheik was problematic in 3.5 (and i did too btw) this version is certainly more problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachman

be water my friend
Dude getting punished for being late on a tech chase is a thing. Its even more real for falcon lol and he doesn't have guaranteed launchers after a certain % (like sheik DA). And yet, its very scary to be grabbed by falcon even as a fast faller. Heck, I think falcon is insanely good in pm (seems like he is still top tier this patch). Also, if you think its absurd to be punished that hard for being late on a tech chase same thing happens in melee and many players far better than you or I would argue sheik is at least even with falco in melee. Also, what does "disrespect option" even mean? Are fast wake up options now disrespectful to you? I don't think sheik is that great this patch and I don't see why she can't get guaranteed throw follow ups against people in this game. It is hard to get a grab as sheik...that being said your argument isn't necessarily one I agree with

Last edited:

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
I think we are all in agreement that Shiek needs someway to follow up on here throws. What way should she though, should she have a better Tech Chase ability? Should we make her throw more like melee PAL dthrow?

D

Deleted member

Dude getting punished for being late on a tech chase is a thing. Its even more real for falcon lol and he doesn't have guaranteed launchers after a certain % (like sheik DA). And yet, its very scary to be grabbed by falcon even as a fast faller. Heck, I think falcon is insanely good in pm (seems like he is still top tier this patch). Also, if you think its absurd to be punished that hard for being late on a tech chase same thing happens in melee and many players far better than you or I would argue sheik is at least even with falco in melee. Also, what does "disrespect option" even mean? Are fast wake up options now disrespectful to you? I don't think sheik is that great this patch and I don't see why she can't get guaranteed throw follow ups against people in this game. It is hard to get a grab as sheik...that being said your argument isn't necessarily one I agree with
CF has upthrow with 2.3 run speed, an actual dashdance window, way better weight (crouchgrab out of DD) and actual combos out of it. i think you'll have a hard time finding people that think sheik's dash attack is better than CF upthrow, and i think you'll have a hard time finding people that think pal sheik is better than falco in melee.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I'm late, but to those who keep saying normalize jumpsquats, no. I don't want Dedede's jump squat to be changed. The character thrives on his air to ground transition and deciding to go to the air should be a commitment that has a lot of advantages. It's a very particular feel that I wouldn't wanna change.

The Link jumpsquat changes made sense though.

Also @Umbreon you're right in a sense that bite -> waft is fun and powerful BUT so many other characters powerful conversions have been nerfed or are significantly harder to connect (think DDD dair -> fair, Link rang to dair, Falcon up throw knee, sheik throw mixup to fair), it seems kind of incongruous and inconsistent. I would also be happy with that level of power. I think this patch has been unnecessarily nerf-heavy without any real clarity as to why.

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
I think we are all in agreement that Shiek needs someway to follow up on here throws. What way should she though, should she have a better Tech Chase ability? Should we make her throw more like melee PAL dthrow?
You mean NTSC? Problem is that throw is overwhelmingly powerful vs a decent portion of the cast. Why don't we just give her an anti fast faller/usable up throw if she can't have the di mix up. Admittedly I didn't know much about pm before besides some match ups as falcon but the di mix up seemed way more interesting than dthrow every time unless going for gimps. Meh
CF has upthrow with 2.3 run speed, an actual dashdance window, way better weight (crouchgrab out of DD) and actual combos out of it. i think you'll have a hard time finding people that think sheik's dash attack is better than CF upthrow, and i think you'll have a hard time finding people that think pal sheik is better than falco in melee.
I was under the impression pm dthrow was in between pal and NTSC? Also, going even in the head to head doesn't mean they are evenly powerful. And yea, sheik deserves rewards for getting grabs because it's freaking hard to get them. I just disagree on the reasoning that tech chasing is hard being the proper argument. Also, I must've been unclear with what I meant. DA after asdi down stops working generally launches people for a fair into edge guard which is generally lethal for a sheik whereas falcon struggles to transform tech chase into that good of a ledge guard opportunity. Falcon up throw is obviously dumb vs much of the cast, I was referring to those he has to tech chase

Sheik relies on good throw follow ups because she is heavily weakened by asdi down/CC besides her grab and she has a very limited dd already, making her linear approach options further linear. I just don't see why she can't have good throw follow ups and I'm saying that as someone who is never going to play sheik in PM

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also @Umbreon you're right in a sense that bite -> waft is fun and powerful BUT so many other characters powerful conversions have been nerfed or are significantly harder to connect (think DDD dair -> fair, Link rang to dair, Falcon up throw knee, sheik throw mixup to fair), it seems kind of incongruous and inconsistent. I would also be happy with that level of power. I think this patch has been unnecessarily nerf-heavy without any real clarity as to why.
I agree with that, and then with one other point- the faster characters generally have had their conversions left alone or in the case of MK buffed. i disagree with the nerfs to things like link's upsmash or ike's QD or DDD's dair because it hurts those characters way more than similar nerfs would hurt faster ones. i think there's lots of things i dislike that are similar to sheik's throws, i just don't understand them to the same depth and don't like talking about things i am unfamiliar with.

JOE!

Smash Hero

Elaborate?

Regarding the "completed character" discussion earlier, no way in hell DK should be considered complete. If anything my guess is that he got no changes for lack of an agreed-upon direction in which to make further changes.

Food for thought: there are only ten characters in the cast without a projectile. Wario, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Kirby, MK, Ike, Marth, Roy, Sonic, and DK. Spot the trends here. Four swordsmen, three characters with stellar air games (albeit some arguably having issues of their own), two characters with incredible ground games (CF's presence here is a lie, he's actually a living projectile)... and a partridge Ganondorf and DK, two fatties with clear strengths but also difficulty forcing any sort of meaningful interaction with the rest of the cast. DK had a better starting point thanks to decent ground mobility/dashdance and Ganondorf has slowly been getting tools to help him out here (RIP nair though), but they're still clearly flawed characters and probably always will be without expanded toolsets. I'm not necessarily saying they need projectiles, but they clearly need something.
Bowser and Zards fire don't really count as projectiles either I'd say.

Also, DK throwing barrels when?

TheoryofSmaug

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I meant NTSC, sorry. I feel that the best thing you could do for Shiek is to make her Fthrow way more potent, that way if you are at 50% at anywhere but the middle of the stage, if Shiek Fthrows and you DI for Dthrow, you should get thrown off stage and the Shiek should get a chance to edgeguard you. I think Shiek wants to be THE gimping character, and I think this is a way to fix one of her problems in a sensible way. Fthrow would probably need to be sped up so you can't react to it and DI properly.

Edit: Essentially give Shiek a DI mixup that does not oppressively lead into a kill move.

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Your right Usmash doesn't need the kill power. That is why I most predominantly mentioned the absurd range increase. That is really the only significant change OU provides. As none of the rest really changes his gameplan because he doesn't need that boost in kill power. Your last sentence is literally the whole reason why I dislike the move. It increases his kill power when he doesn't need the increase and the only significant thing he gets from it is the range increase to Upsmash as none of the rest changes what he does. That is why I do not like it that much as a move and find it to not be good design.

One liner version: The whole point of OU is pointless.
Not needing the bonus and not benefitting from it are very different things. Lucas is entirely functional without it, but that doesn't make an early OU fsmash near the ledge any less devastating.

OU usmash's range increase isn't nearly as important as you're trying to make it out to be. It only stands out for lack of similar side benefits on fsmash and fsmash.

At the end of the day I'm open to changing it up, but it doesn't strictly need changes. If they come up with something better then by all means.

Bowser and Zards fire don't really count as projectiles either I'd say.

Also, DK throwing barrels when?
The game classifies them as projectiles. They may function in a particular way from a use standpoint, but strictly speaking they are projectiles.

On that note, gliding flamethrower would be pretty cool. Maybe useful maybe not, but definitely cool.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
Snake's isn't even that bad because it just puts you into prone, in my opinion. You can get up, roll, or immediately getup attack, or do nothing, which is basically all of the options out of other throws like Charizard's dthrow except you can instantly getup attack as well because you don't actually tech.
so it's 4 options to cover on a char with a ridic grab and good mixups out of it + mines covering options etc etc
roll 2 ways, get up, or attack, or sit there I gueeeesss
The other grabs have 3 more options + missed techs coming out of those grabs, snakes is the most limiting grab in the entire game when it comes to -chasing- with grabs, and it's ON SNAKE GAWDAYM

Snake lays you on the ground, does 14%

Charizard pins you to the ground with a foot, then breathes fire all over you, 6%

Asking "PMDT plz?", Priceless

For everything else, there's the Subreddit
sigworthy

On that note, gliding flamethrower would be pretty cool.

Jacob29

Smash Ace
How come Meteor Cancelling was reduced to 12 frames (someone else tells me its actually 11), but it isn't in the patch notes?

Apparently Strong Bad confirmed it was 12 recently.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Strong Bad said (in PMS iirc) it would be added and was an oversight.

This is one of the reasons I'm iffy on the P:M changelist. Certain important things tend not to be added.

Changed to be more like Melee? Used to be ~15-16 before I think?

Edit - Melee is like, 8.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bazkip

Smash Master
Strong Bad said (in PMS iirc) it would be added and was an oversight.

This is one of the reasons I'm iffy on the P:M changelist. Certain important things tend not to be added.

Changed to be more like Melee? Used to be ~15-16 before I think?

Edit - Melee is like, 8.
Still isn't changed either
Like I know they're real people with real lives but it's just one line that needs to be added, PMDT pls D:

I still don't quite understand why meteor cancelling is a thing. Quoting my mini-rant from the social thread.
Though I dunno what was wrong with 16 frames. Or why the mechanic exists in the first place. I suppose after 64 they thought downwards hits were too strong but with the reduced hitstun in subsequent games I simply don't think it was necessary. The only Smash game that needed it is the only one that doesn't have it lol. Though if it is staying around, why are there exceptions?

You got hit by a slow, extremely powerful electric stomp by the King of Evil? Nah, you should be allowed to live.

A little birdie twirls in the air? You're ****ed.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Wanted to come back and address this real quick as I finally got lucky and got Project M to load for me and testing in debug shows to me that Lucas does have a 4 frame jumpsquat.

However my testing with Pit always came out as 5 frame jumpsquat for him. So I'm like 99% sure he does have a frame 5 jumpsquat, actually.

Top Bottom