• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Dash Cancel Pivot Grab just gives you more distance on your pivot grab, like if you wanted to get behind him and bthrow him offstage you might use the dash cancel pivot grab. You can do it by pressing the cstick down and then immediately doing a pivot grab.
More distance as in you slide more? Cause then that makes sense (basically just a boost grab but apparently you can do it backwards). If it's more grab range (which was what I thought some of the Zard mains meant but not sure), then I'm confused as to why that'd happen. I take it that's not the case?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
More distance as in you slide more? Cause then that makes sense (basically just a boost grab but apparently you can do it backwards). If it's more grab range (which was what I thought some of the Zard mains meant but not sure), then I'm confused as to why that'd happen. I take it that's not the case?

Thanks.
You just slide more, I think. There are people on this forum who are more qualified to answer this (but I think I'm right)

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I just came here to tell you all that Squirtle is the worst character in the game, resume tier listing

steelguttey

mei is bei
@ steelguttey steelguttey That might be the furthest distance, but it also takes time to travel to that distance rather than being at max range frame 7.
well it outranges there grabs about 2 frames after they get max range, it also has faster startup and very small endlag for a fking tether grab

That's not even mentioning that Oli loses to attacks if an attack hits him on the same frame he hits the grab, since it's the Pikmin grabbing instead of Oli himself.
this only really happens if i get hit with a janky projectile on a max range grab

olimar's pivot grab is the best also because the game he plays (bait and punish) is really well complemented by his pivot grab. pikmin toss forces the opponent to approach, which lets you get a pivot grab on most characters if they dont have a huge ass sword

It's really not as good as Zard's or DDD's pivot grab imo.
you dont need to say imo, we know its an opinion. if it is not a fact, then it is an opinion, and we know it is.

Last edited:

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
well it outranges there grabs about 2 frames after they get max range, it also has faster startup and very small endlag for a fking tether grab
Except that's not even close to being true. Olimar's pivot grab comes out frame 11 and travels pretty slow. I just tested it and it gets to Zard range at about frame 16 or 17 (hard to tell exactly). Zard's pivot grab comes out frame 10 to compare. The Olimars I faced tend to throw this out a lot and you can literally out run it if you predict it, and it costs him a good bit of space when he misses cause the opponent isn't far (meaning your dash dance center has effectively moved closer to the ledge).

this only really happens if i get hit with a janky projectile on a max range grab
I have hit Olimar a good number of times when been getting grabbed and gotten away. It's not a huge factor since it's just a tie breaker, but it happens (with or w/o projectiles).

Olimar's end lag is surprisingly low though, and yeah, he does have a projectile to pressure people to approach, so I admit I might have been wrong. Also Olimar's grab is disjointed whereas Zards isn't (or most of it has hurtbox connected to Zard's grab at least), so while Oli's grab is notably slower to get to Zard and DDD's range, the grab box is a decent form of pretection.

DDD's pivot grab looks a good bit better than Zards coming out frame 9 (1 frame earlier), having about the same range (not sure which is more), and being way more disjointed.

I think both DDD and olimar get more off of a grab if we're considering that aspect, but not sure on Oli cause I know less about him... also in the current meta Zards are getting fair after b-throw which is really good, but it's DI dependent with no mix up throw (at least no mix up throw that isn't easily reactable), so it's not gonna last.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Did I mention Yoshi's throw followups?!?
Dthrow is too good man

While this whole "best pivot grab" argument is silly, even just looking framewise is pretty bad. Yeah olimar has a great pivot grab but does he actually net that much off of it anymore? I'd agree with yoshi having the best long pivot grab now followup wise

didds

Smash Lord
Dthrow is too good man

While this whole "best pivot grab" argument is silly, even just looking framewise is pretty bad. Yeah olimar has a great pivot grab but does he actually net that much off of it anymore? I'd agree with yoshi having the best long pivot grab now followup wise
Yea jokes aside, taking into account active frames, amount of end lag, distance, and the followups that are netted off of getting the grab, Yoshi's pivot grab is easily one of the scariest

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542

steelguttey

mei is bei
Olimar is better

And olimar has the advantage in that matchup

GG nameless.
really tho

squirtle vs olimar is in squirtle favor

hes at the weird weight where i cant combo him cus he falls to fast and is to floaty for dthrow to do much and pivot grabs get stuffed by squirtles side b for some WEIRD ASS REASON i fkn hate that move

real talk olimar wouldnt be that bad if his recovery wasnt so ****ty. hes like mid tier in environments where nobody knows how to edgeguard him

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
really tho

hes at the weird weight where i cant combo him cus he falls to fast and is to floaty for dthrow to do much and pivot grabs get stuffed by squirtles side b for some WEIRD *** REASON i fkn hate that move

real talk olimar wouldnt be that bad if his recovery wasnt so ****ty. hes like mid tier in environments where nobody knows how to edgeguard him
But everyone knows how because PMDT told us to just hold ledge and GG

Also I think False does the perfect amount of editing for combo videos. Its tastefully done and I think more editors should do the slight slow zoom and panning effects he does.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
really tho

hes at the weird weight where i cant combo him cus he falls to fast and is to floaty for dthrow to do much and pivot grabs get stuffed by squirtles side b for some WEIRD *** REASON i fkn hate that move

No it isn't. Pikmin outrange and go through all of squirtle's armor, side b does not stuff pivot grab or ANY grab for tha matter, and olimar has crazy ass folow ups on all throws/hits on Squirtle. You're doing it wrong

steelguttey

mei is bei
basically what im saying is that olimar at mid range cannot pivot grab squirtle cus he can press side b and get there beforei can stuff him

good di ****s dthrow and i cant even uthrow floaties

i can combo him if i get a stray hit, but forcing him to approach cant work cus his approach is the opposite of linear

jtm94

Smash Lord
What is good DI on Olimar throws? I get Dthrown into fair no matter what direction I hold. As Zelda.

Yoshi doesn't need a KO throw because his throws go into uair or fair then uair.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
What is good DI on Olimar throws? I get Dthrown into fair no matter what direction I hold. As Zelda.

Yoshi doesn't need a KO throw because his throws go into uair or fair then uair.
D-throw into fair? Not Up-throw?

Pretty sure up/down and away works.

I have lost games because of grab breaking from trading with a nair, it's not just projectiles. It's everything. His grab needs work, it's jank as hell and doesn't belong in this game.

I'm not saying get rid of it entirely, but it needs fixing badly.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
down and away is proper di yo

and yea his throw is mad jank, he needs grab armor that activates when the pikmin touches u

didds

Smash Lord
Yoshi's tail is dumb.

His dsmash hits like a truck, but then his bair is a flimsy noodle that trades with a jigg's jab.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Question, why is samus considered high to top tier?
She has insanely good matchups against the spacies - going even with them in melee and thus almost certainly beating them 55:45 or 60:40 in PM due to their nerfs and her significant buffs. The ice mode makes her much more resilient in [floaty] matchups that used to give her endless numbers of problems, and she ends up only having a couple truly terrible matchups (ROB, Mario, maybe Ivysaur and/or Mewtwo) - probably in that order) while being an extremely tough nut to crack for most of the cast.

Last I checked, there are no players that even come close to properly using her entire kit at the moment. ESAM was definitely the best, but has quit or something - and nobody's really stepped up to the plate yet. Maybe @Barbie @pooch182 or @Chevy will completely astound us all one of these days.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Hmm, no mention of the Ivy matchup in the 3.5 matchup thread in the Samus subforums, no footage of Ivy vs Samus in KayB's thread, and us Ivies seem to be finding the matchup even-ish or disadvantageous. @Sixonesix is the only Ivy who thinks we win the matchup to my knowledge

Care to explain why I'm Samus 2nd worst matchup ? I feel like it's information I could get a use for lol

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Marth should still be one of her top 3 worst MU's

She has zero ability still too get down from juggles. Marth can just walk/run under her and jump and upair and she has no hope.

Top Bottom